Stigweard

Wanted: TaoWiki Submissions

Coming out of the announcement topics about www.taowizard.com there is a definite request to have a TaoWiki page dedicated to contemporary Taoist teachers and schools.

If you would like to help by providing articles, photos etc. on these topics please post them here.

I am also looking for quality links to webpages that have unique, reliable information (usually .edu or .org). Quality books and texts are also being sought.

You can submit the information at:

Website Submission

Book Submission

Cheers :D

I just added a bunch of books from the Grand Historian, Sima Qian. Unfortunately I did not find any descriptions that I really liked so I had to write my own...which took a while. I was not totally sure what to put in the Suggested Categories, though. Could you give a few example categories to get us (maybe just me) more ideas?

Coming out of the announcement topics about www.taowizard.com there is a definite request to have a TaoWiki page dedicated to contemporary Taoist teachers and schools.

If you would like to help by providing articles, photos etc. on these topics please post them here.

I am also looking for quality links to webpages that have unique, reliable information (usually .edu or .org). Quality books and texts are also being sought.

You can submit the information at:

Website Submission

Book Submission

Cheers :D

Hi Stig,

I am getting a problem with the email:

TaoWiki could not send your confirmation mail. Please check your e-mail address for invalid characters.

Mailer returned: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for '-5.0/DST' instead

Hi Stig,

TaoWiki could not send your confirmation mail. Please check your e-mail address for invalid characters.

Mailer returned: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for '-5.0/DST' instead

Hmmm :{ ... the first bugs arise lol

I will get onto it ... is this in the TaoWiki sign up?

It could be my server's smtp protocols ... they have ramped up their security after a hacking episode.

Will look into it for you.

Hi Stig,

Heya Pietro ... not sure what the bug is yet but you successfully registered and I have approved your account so you should be able to have editing rights etc now. Please log in and let me know how you go :D

Heya Pietro ... not sure what the bug is yet but you successfully registered and I have approved your account so you should be able to have editing rights etc now. Please log in and let me know how you go :D

Hmm, it's probably due to the fact that I am in Portugal, with the time of portugal.

There are weird things happening, where you send a mail, and with the mail it comes when was it supposed to arrive. And mail system would not accept a mail that has been sent in the future, because this is what often spam would do (to appear as the first mail for a long time). But I don't have this problem with any other system. Not even with any other mediawiki system. So I am surprised, too. But you should look into it, as if this means that Europeans (and Asians) would have a hard time in participating fully could be a problem :)

Hmm, it's probably due to the fact that I am in Portugal, with the time of portugal.

There are weird things happening, where you send a mail, and with the mail it comes when was it supposed to arrive. And mail system would not accept a mail that has been sent in the future, because this is what often spam would do (to appear as the first mail for a long time). But I don't have this problem with any other system. Not even with any other mediawiki system. So I am surprised, too. But you should look into it, as if this means that Europeans (and Asians) would have a hard time in participating fully could be a problem :)

Nah it's definately a bug of some sort. I tried to set up a dummy account and I got the same error. Not all that familiar with media wiki systems but I will work through it.

So if anyone else wants to become a TaoWiki contributor just let me know and I will make sure we get through.

Nah it's definately a bug of some sort. I tried to set up a dummy account and I got the same error. Not all that familiar with media wiki systems but I will work through it.

So if anyone else wants to become a TaoWiki contributor just let me know and I will make sure we get through.

Should I invite my energy arts friends? I know several on facebook. And maybe they could help.

Probably if I send a mail around, 2 or 3 might participate in the project. This would be good for the TaoWiki, but the risk is that a single school dominates the wiki, dominating common resources like "tai chi", and similar.

Of course if I invite them they would need to have editing priviledges. I cannot invite people to participate in a project, and then refuse them the power to play along.

Let me know,

Pietro

Should I invite my energy arts friends? I know several on facebook. And maybe they could help.

Probably if I send a mail around, 2 or 3 might participate in the project. This would be good for the TaoWiki, but the risk is that a single school dominates the wiki, dominating common resources like "tai chi", and similar.

Of course if I invite them they would need to have editing priviledges. I cannot invite people to participate in a project, and then refuse them the power to play along.

Let me know,

Pietro

it would be great to have your friends onboard. You can see by the account setup page that I am wanting to initially keep a close reign on how it develops. You are quite right though that the right diversity is needed for the wiki to have integrity. I know my bias would be toward neidan, taijiquan, qigong etc. I am sure you might see that already ;)

I'll put a notice on that page that there are currently an issue. I think I know where to look as I had to deal with a similar issue with the webmail off the main site. Just let your friends know of the current issue and that they can get in touch with me via the contact page.

Cheers my friend :)

Edited by Stigweard

it would be great to have your friends onboard. You can see by the account setup page that I am wanting to initially keep a close reign on how it develops. You are quite right though that the right diversity is needed for the wiki to have integrity. I know my bias would be toward neidan, taijiquan, qigong etc. I am sure you might see that already ;)

I'll put a notice on that page that there are currently an issue. I think I know where to look as I had to deal with a similar issue with the webmail off the main site. Just let your friends know of the current issue and that they can get in touch with me via the contact page.

Cheers my friend :)

Sorry Stig, I am lost.

Must be the portuguese hot weather is boiling my brain. I never was very smart and this is really taking away the last synapses.

I am happy to see that you want me to invite them, but I don't understand the terms under which I should do it.

You say that they are welcome, and you refer to a page, but the page says that they need to be (dao dao dao / dao dao dao dao dao dao dao) in your forum.

And if I don't get it, the email will be confused.

What should I tell them:

a) that they need to join the forum, become (dao dao dao / dao dao dao dao dao dao dao) and then they can have editing right? (I already tell you, they will never do that, and I will lose the possibility to invite them once the time is ripe, I would rather wait until the wiki is more developed and you can let them in properly)

B) that they can directly join the wiki and you will give them the possibility to edit the pages.

You see it is hard to get a person to follow a link

it is harder to get them to register

it is harder to getthem to register and then come back later

but to register, then walk around the site for some time before coming back is impossible.

The only one that managed to do that was the seduction.fast community, but they had the mighty sacred power of

the pussy behind them. And we know that pulls more than a cart of ox (italian saying). Also even them used that procedure only once the community was estabilished.

So please let me know if they can come now (and edit now), or they should wait.

Pietro

Sorry Stig, I am lost.

Must be the portuguese hot weather is boiling my brain. I never was very smart and this is really taking away the last synapses.

I am happy to see that you want me to invite them, but I don't understand the terms under which I should do it.

You say that they are welcome, and you refer to a page, but the page says that they need to be (dao dao dao / dao dao dao dao dao dao dao) in your forum.

And if I don't get it, the email will be confused.

What should I tell them:

a) that they need to join the forum, become (dao dao dao / dao dao dao dao dao dao dao) and then they can have editing right? (I already tell you, they will never do that, and I will lose the possibility to invite them once the time is ripe, I would rather wait until the wiki is more developed and you can let them in properly)

B) that they can directly join the wiki and you will give them the possibility to edit the pages.

You see it is hard to get a person to follow a link

it is harder to get them to register

it is harder to getthem to register and then come back later

but to register, then walk around the site for some time before coming back is impossible.

The only one that managed to do that was the seduction.fast community, but they had the mighty sacred power of

the pussy behind them. And we know that pulls more than a cart of ox (italian saying). Also even them used that procedure only once the community was estabilished.

So please let me know if they can come now (and edit now), or they should wait.

Pietro

Thank you Pietro I appreciate your feedback, you are quite correct. It would seem I am holding the reigns too tight. Perhaps such a measure would be more appropriate at a much later stage if at all.

Do you think it would be acceptable for them to simply become a member of the forum before becoming a TaoWiki contributor? I am wanting all the discussion over the wiki content to be focused in the forum rather than on the discussion pages of the wiki itself. What do you think?

Have you managed to log in successfully? Am still hunting down the bug :( lol

Thank you Pietro I appreciate your feedback, you are quite correct. It would seem I am holding the reigns too tight. Perhaps such a measure would be more appropriate at a much later stage if at all.

Do you think it would be acceptable for them to simply become a member of the forum before becoming a TaoWiki contributor? I am wanting all the discussion over the wiki content to be focused in the forum rather than on the discussion pages of the wiki itself. What do you think?

I don't know, Stig.

Fact is that in the troubled story of this forum, me, Max, Plato and others have repreatedly tried to get another forum up because we were unhappy with the way Sean managed this. We never suceeded. Getting a forum up is not an easy task. You need to get people to go there, and insert their content, and it need to be interesting content that they are not writing anywhere else. If someone writes a post here and in your forum, the people will read it here. Because this place is already well known. On google this place appears much higher than any new forum. In short you are competing from a disadvantaged position. The only time I saw forum sucessfully sprout out was when either there was a community already well defined that wanted to talk to each other (this is how this forum started), or there was a school that wanted a place to talk (this is how the HT forum started, but also the Kun Lun one), or there is something technically so different that using that forum is really a different experience.

I think you have essentially two options. You either do like Keith, who made his own site, and eventually invited people here and there to contribute with an article. Or you need to build a community. If you need to build a community you need to realise that the community is your biggest asset. On the net there have been websites that has been sold for millions of dollars just for their community. Websites that were technically extremely easy to build. And yet they were sold for their content, and the community that generated that content.

Think about wikipedia, delicious, livejournal, flickr just to name a few. All except wikipedia has been sold for a lot of money. ANd all (except flickr) are running on software that is open source (that software or a copy of it).

So you need to understand that your biggest assett are the people. Each person that participates is a treasure. Not just because of what he does, but because of how what he does can attract other people. No one really cares what Stig or Pietro or Max or Plato or any of us knows. But put us all together, and you have made a huge website, that can attract hundred of thousand of people.

So my take is that you should not start with your forum, because getting your forum up will be a major challenge in itself. And not a challenge that I will bet on you winning (sorry), despite your very valiant effort. Instead you should use this very forum, as your forum. MAke the Tao Wiki the wiki of the Tao Bums. Who cares if it is not your forum, as long as it provides people who are willing to pour their knowledge in the wiki, the wiki will grow. Once the wiki is up, and running, and independent, then if you want, you can start another forum.

Remember that people who write in a wiki are different from the ones that write in a forum. Just like some people would rather use a motorbike and others a car. So some people will move to the wiki, and like it, and start going there more than coming here. While others will do the opposite once your place raises in google enough to attract people.

Now since you are in need of people you want to make it as easy as possible for people to insert information.

Remember every difficulty you place will half the number of people using your wiki. Do they need to register? Half. Do they need to receive an email? Half. Do you need to approve them? Half. Good websites are able to make you register without even noticing. While you are writing something else, they just ask, "oh by the way, what is your name?". Then they ask for a password. And so on. This is how important it is not to scare people off. Stack overflow is an example of this.

And then there is an editorial choise, and this is hard.

What are you going to accept in your wiki?

In wikipedia there is the mythology of the neutral point of view, which is quite ok, most of the time.

In a wiki of one school, you can follow what the teacher sais.

But in a wiki of all of taoism what are you going to follow? It's not an easy decision, and you are going to think about it, because if your wiki suceed, and I really hope it does, you will soon have edit wars between people believing into this or into that.

Maybe you can let the wiki community decide it themselves. There are ways in which wiki-users can suggest things, and vote them up or down.

So those are my suggestions: open it up, untie it respect to the forum, accept every help that you can get.

Of course doing this will attract also spam. At the beginning it will be your job to weed that out, and to upload all sort of defences against spam.

How does this sound?

Pietro

Yes thanks. The email is not working but for the rest it is fine. I also started working of a first draft of a page on Bruce. :)

I am wanting all the discussion over the wiki content to be focused in the forum rather than on the discussion pages of the wiki itself. What do you think?

I should answer this separately. This is a technical issue. It is possible IFF (if and only if) the forum is totally tied with the wiki. Not just that people have the same username, but that each page of the wiki has a link to a page of the forum, and viceversa. There are spftware that do this, but for what I know mediawiki does not offer this service. But I don't know the diverse and wide world of the wikimedia plugins. Maybe you can find one that let you do just that. But unless you have sorted out the technical part do not expect people to follow your wishes if it is more confortable doing otherwise.

I don't know, Stig.

Fact is that in the troubled story of this forum, me, Max, Plato and others have repreatedly tried to get another forum up because we were unhappy with the way Sean managed this. We never suceeded. Getting a forum up is not an easy task. You need to get people to go there, and insert their content, and it need to be interesting content that they are not writing anywhere else. If someone writes a post here and in your forum, the people will read it here. Because this place is already well known. On google this place appears much higher than any new forum. In short you are competing from a disadvantaged position. The only time I saw forum sucessfully sprout out was when either there was a community already well defined that wanted to talk to each other (this is how this forum started), or there was a school that wanted a place to talk (this is how the HT forum started, but also the Kun Lun one), or there is something technically so different that using that forum is really a different experience.

I think you have essentially two options. You either do like Keith, who made his own site, and eventually invited people here and there to contribute with an article. Or you need to build a community. If you need to build a community you need to realise that the community is your biggest asset. On the net there have been websites that has been sold for millions of dollars just for their community. Websites that were technically extremely easy to build. And yet they were sold for their content, and the community that generated that content.

Think about wikipedia, delicious, livejournal, flickr just to name a few. All except wikipedia has been sold for a lot of money. ANd all (except flickr) are running on software that is open source (that software or a copy of it).

So you need to understand that your biggest assett are the people. Each person that participates is a treasure. Not just because of what he does, but because of how what he does can attract other people. No one really cares what Stig or Pietro or Max or Plato or any of us knows. But put us all together, and you have made a huge website, that can attract hundred of thousand of people.

So my take is that you should not start with your forum, because getting your forum up will be a major challenge in itself. And not a challenge that I will bet on you winning (sorry), despite your very valiant effort. Instead you should use this very forum, as your forum. MAke the Tao Wiki the wiki of the Tao Bums. Who cares if it is not your forum, as long as it provides people who are willing to pour their knowledge in the wiki, the wiki will grow. Once the wiki is up, and running, and independent, then if you want, you can start another forum.

Remember that people who write in a wiki are different from the ones that write in a forum. Just like some people would rather use a motorbike and others a car. So some people will move to the wiki, and like it, and start going there more than coming here. While others will do the opposite once your place raises in google enough to attract people.

Now since you are in need of people you want to make it as easy as possible for people to insert information.

Remember every difficulty you place will half the number of people using your wiki. Do they need to register? Half. Do they need to receive an email? Half. Do you need to approve them? Half. Good websites are able to make you register without even noticing. While you are writing something else, they just ask, "oh by the way, what is your name?". Then they ask for a password. And so on. This is how important it is not to scare people off. Stack overflow is an example of this.

In wikipedia there is the mythology of the neutral point of view, which is quite ok, most of the time.

But in a wiki of all of taoism what are you going to follow? It's not an easy decision, and you are going to think about it, because if your wiki suceed, and I really hope it does, you will soon have edit wars between people believing into this or into that.

Maybe you can let the wiki community decide it themselves. There are ways in which wiki-users can suggest things, and vote them up or down.

So those are my suggestions: open it up, untie it respect to the forum, accept every help that you can get.

Of course doing this will attract also spam. At the beginning it will be your job to weed that out, and to upload all sort of defences against spam.

How does this sound?

Pietro

Yes thanks. The email is not working but for the rest it is fine. I also started working of a first draft of a page on Bruce. :)

I should answer this separately. This is a technical issue. It is possible IFF (if and only if) the forum is totally tied with the wiki. Not just that people have the same username, but that each page of the wiki has a link to a page of the forum, and viceversa. There are spftware that do this, but for what I know mediawiki does not offer this service. But I don't know the diverse and wide world of the wikimedia plugins. Maybe you can find one that let you do just that. But unless you have sorted out the technical part do not expect people to follow your wishes if it is more confortable doing otherwise.

Good post Pietro.

Stig, i also offered my view on the *Coming soon* thread, i'll repeat it here:

hi Stig,

i'm sure you need more than just a handful of applause, so here's what this tells me

i think you may need to gather a good team, that can always be possible with good motivation

- some to work on gathering the data

= text

= video

= picture

= events

- some to compile them

- and some to upload it

maybe even the design can be improved, to look more 'daoist', with more traditional chinese features

you may need someone with good Chinese language skills to surf the Chinese taoist forums for quality information

a book section would surely be in handy, with high reccomendations

if only my time was sufficient, i would have gladly helped, yet i think all can be possible, even with small 'labor force', in time...

best of luck

Edited by Little1

For easier to reading, when you have a long list such as Daoist Teachers in North America and Daoist Centers, the teachers and centers names should appear in bold type or a color.

For easier to reading, when you have a long list such as Daoist Teachers in North America and Daoist Centers, the teachers and centers names should appear in bold type or a color.

Yup :D

I don't know, Stig.

How does this sound?

Pietro

An excellent post Pietro with some excellent suggestions.

I have no intention to compete with TaoBums and have always considered from the outset that TaoWizard would be a satellite partner. The forum there, which is linked page for page with the wiki, is intended to be where wiki content is discussed and refined before officially publishing it (different I know from standard Wiki practice but this is how I want it to run).

I have loosened up the entry registration but at this stage I am not wanting to let it become a free-for-all. Quality control is very high on my agenda. I am also in no hurry to have 40,000 members over there as well. Taking time for foundation building is my only agenda at the moment.

Again I am wanting quality, dedicated people involved ... power people if you will ... who can establish TaoWizard as a Taoist authority site.

Thank you Peitro, I treasure your interest and involvement.

:D

Good post Pietro.

Stig, i also offered my view on the *Coming soon* thread, i'll repeat it here:

hi Stig,

i'm sure you need more than just a handful of applause, so here's what this tells me

i think you may need to gather a good team, that can always be possible with good motivation

- some to work on gathering the data

= text

= video

= picture

= events

- some to compile them

- and some to upload it

maybe even the design can be improved, to look more 'daoist', with more traditional chinese features

you may need someone with good Chinese language skills to surf the Chinese taoist forums for quality information

a book section would surely be in handy, with high reccomendations

if only my time was sufficient, i would have gladly helped, yet i think all can be possible, even with small 'labor force', in time...

best of luck

Also excellent suggestions Little ... I am sure the team will build in a natural fashion.

:D

Edited by Stigweard

Heya Pietro ... I get back to you excellent suggestions in the morning.

I made a small contribution to your page on American Taoist Teachers ;)

http://www.taowizard.com/wiki/index.php?ti..._Taoist_Centres

Wow, and you call that a "small" contribution. What are you going to do when you make a major one? Re-Write the Dao Canon? :P

Something that came to me while I was driving and thinking about your site.

Is it wise to divide the school sections by countries?

Internet is inherently international, and the big teachers often teach in different countries. In fact I would say it is easier for someone to teach in the US and in Europe more than teaching in any other two continents. That's because Europe and the EU has actually so much in common culturally (and even more now with your new president :) ).

Maybe it would make more sense to have a page by language. You know teachers that teach in English, or in Chinese, or in German, or in Spanish, etc.

But what really would be cool to have is a list of all schools, then a google map page. Maybe (I don't know if it is possible easy to do) with the list of schools on the left, as a set of check boxes, and then the school appearing in the map once you check them. Anyone played with google maps before?

In any case it feels a bit weird to have a single nation. Please let me know if we should set up a page for the EU, or for each nation. :)

An excellent post Pietro with some excellent suggestions.

I have no intention to compete with TaoBums and have always considered from the outset that TaoWizard would be a satellite partner. The forum there, which is linked page for page with the wiki, is intended to be where wiki content is discussed and refined before officially publishing it (different I know from standard Wiki practice but this is how I want it to run).

I have loosened up the entry registration but at this stage I am not wanting to let it become a free-for-all. Quality control is very high on my agenda. I am also in no hurry to have 40,000 members over there as well. Taking time for foundation building is my only agenda at the moment.

Again I am wanting quality, dedicated people involved ... power people if you will ... who can establish TaoWizard as a Taoist authority site.

Thank you Peitro, I treasure your interest and involvement.

Fair enough, :)

Ok, I'll do this edit, but com'on join us on the field and change the page yourself.

Hey, it's a wiki!

Is it wise to divide the school sections by countries?

Internet is inherently international, and the big teachers often teach in different countries. In fact I would say it is easier for someone to teach in the US and in Europe more than teaching in any other two continents. That's because Europe and the EU has actually so much in common culturally (and even more now with your new president :) ).

Maybe it would make more sense to have a page by language. You know teachers that teach in English, or in Chinese, or in German, or in Spanish, etc.

But what really would be cool to have is a list of all schools, then a google map page. Maybe (I don't know if it is possible easy to do) with the list of schools on the left, as a set of check boxes, and then the school appearing in the map once you check them. Anyone played with google maps before?

In any case it feels a bit weird to have a single nation. Please let me know if we should set up a page for the EU, or for each nation. :)

lol mate! Aren't I working hard enough for you :P

The main reason for the continental division is mainly for folks to find resources in their area. I hear what you are saying though :)

A listing of any and all daoist sects would be nice

though i don't have the knowledge to put it together myself

lol mate! Aren't I working hard enough for you :P

The main reason for the continental division is mainly for folks to find resources in their area. I hear what you are saying though :)

You know, I am a lazy bastard. I just hate doing the work 2 or 3 times. SO I'd rather do it one time, than do it over and over for each continent/nation/ragion/city etc.

I doubt there are many people in the whole world that could.

Many sects are secret.

This is how they managed to suvive through the centuries without being the dominant religion.

What we could achieve is a list of the open and official entry points. The open sects, the one that advertise, that are not secret.

BTW, sometime you also have secret sects that has the same name of a non secret sect.

:lol::lol::lol:

Same name, different people, different practices. Makes your head spiiiiin.

I have a few under construction ... if you look under Major Branches of Taoism on the main directory http://www.taowizard.com