Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

To Flying Phoenix Qigong practitioners and enthusiasts:

Saturday, November 2 is my next FP Qigong workshop in New York City at the Open Center of New York, an excellent venue in the "NoMad" district (North of Madison Park).  This will be a great opportunity get learn the 85% Flying Phoenix Qigong system and/or deepen your practice to profound extent.

New York Open Center
22 E 30th St, New York, NY 10016
Phone: 212-219-2527
Email: [email protected]

In this coming workshop, you will learn all 7 of the basic standing Flying Phoenix Meditations: "Monk Holding Pearl," "Monk Gazing At Moon", "Monk Holding Peach," "Wind Above the Clouds," "Wind Through Treetops," "Bending the Bows," the Tai Chi-like "Moonbeam Splashes On Water." You will also learn 8 or more of the seated Flying Phoenix Meditations collectively known as "Monk Serves Wine" and five additional standing FP Meditations that require a total of 90 seconds each to perform. Two of the 8 MSW Meditations being taught have been proven through the past 3 decades to promote sound and perfectly restful sleep.

Tuition: $125 (Open Center Members)
$155 (non-members)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1069762480056153/

Here's the standard boilerplate:  Qigong and Kung Fu Master Terry Dunn will give a 6-hour immersive workshop on Ehrmei Mountain Flying Phoenix Qigong, a rare and powerful (purely) healing Qigong system created in 1644 by Taoist monk Feng Dao Deh and impeccably preserved by 6 generations of his teacher Grandmaster Doo Wai's lineage.   Sifu Terry is the sole 7th generation preserver of this authentic Taoist monastic system of hygienics that is comprised of standing and seated, stationary and moving meditations that imparts a wide range of salient health benefits: increased respiratory power, improved circulation and metabolism, well-regulated sleep and resulting higher energy levels, improved neuro-muscular function and balance, strengthened immunity, increased bone strength, and the allostatic reversal of many signs of aging.  Long term Flying Phoenix Qigong practice activates man's latent healing potential and cultivates a superabundance of the distinctively tangible and visible Flying Phoenix Energy (Chi) that has extraordinary healing properties unlike any other type of yogically cultivated energy.

This workshop will experientially transform your paradigm of health, Yoga, and human energetics. Visit Sifu Dunn's website, www.taichimania.com and his Facebook product page, "Terry Dunn's Tai Chi For Health", for abundant information on this and other remarkable internal arts. Also see videos of Sifu Dunn's past FP Qigong workshops on Youtube by searching under "Flying Phoenix workshop Dunn." Also highly recommended: to hit the deck running at this workshop, practice to Volumes 1 and 2 of Terry Dunn's "Chi Kung For Health" DVD series available through the www.taichimania.com website.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2019 at 4:14 PM, thelerner said:

Dear Sifu Terry,

For people in a weakened state or haven't started learning FP, are there any guided meditations you'd recommend for healing or general well being?

thank you.

hi thelerner,

Other than FP Qigong, there are no other guided meditations outside of the Bok Fu Pai tradition  that I would recommend to people in a weakened state because I don't know of any Qigong system that is easier to do and less demanding than FP Qigong and yet imparts substantial energization and rejuvenation and activates the body's self-healing faculties, .  E.g., Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method), which I have been practicing since 1975 and teaching since 1983, is powerful, complete and profound Taoist monastic system, but it is far more demanding and requires more mental and visual concentration and physical stamina to learn and practice than FP Qigong.  Therefore, the first thing I would recommend is for the weekened people that you speak of to do  to start in on practicing FP Qigong.  They are so easy and user-friendly and not taxing at all as far as authentic Qigong systems go. 

Besides starting with FP Qigong, the people in a weakened state might also try any of GM Doo Wai's Youtube videos, such as the Detox Meditation and what is called his Healing Qigong Meditation.

Healing Qigong Meditation.

These two Healing Qigong exercises are actually more complex and more difficult to learn, remember and practice than the two intermediate FP Standing Meditations on Vol. 3 of my DVD series ("Wind Through Treetops" and Wind Above The Clouds").  But these also produce good results if you (or they) can manage to learn them.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichmania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/17/2019 at 5:35 PM, Randy said:

Hi to everyone & Sifu Terry

Not sure if this has been covered previously in posts as I am still working my way through them.

Anyway - due to financial constraints I was only able to purchase 2 DVD's

I chose Vols 2  & 4. I guess I saw them as being of a Yin-Yang balance ie. sitting (Yin ) and movement (Yang). Am I way off the mark? If, for the rest of my life (I'm 66) I do just these two forms will I not gain benefit (I'm already feeling extraordinary charge from the sitting meditations).

Any insights would be appreciated.

Cheers, Glenn

This is a post that was made elsewhere and not to the main thread, so I am quoting it here for Sifu Terry or others to give their own answers. 

My personal answers are that we have @ridingtheox who began with volume 4 before doing the earlier volumes. There is no set order mandated, but for beginners usually volumes 1 and 2 are recommended, and I personally would make that 1, 2, and 5 actually to have access to the flash meditations for busy people. 

You WILL gain benefit from doing ANY ONE FORM. 

• Like 3

13 days until my next one-day (6-hour) Flying Phoenix Qigong workshop at New York Open Center (30th at Madison Ave.)  This workshop will teach  7 Flying Phoenix Standing Meditations and 11 "Monk Serves Wine" seated meditations contained in Volumes 1, 2 and 3 of my Chi Kung For Health DVD series....PLUS selections from sister arts such as 10,000 Buddhas Ascend to Heaven, and Advanced Flying Phoenix Qigong (9 standing moving meditations).

https://www.opencenter.org/flying-phoenix-qigong   

My answer to Randy about yin and yang is that Sifu Terry has suggested we do not think of Flying Phoenix system in terms of Traditional Chinese Medicine. TCM is based on Taoist concepts such as found in Tao Te Ching and the I Ching where balance of yin and yang is the focus. FP does not operate along those same schematics. I am sure that Sifu Terry will elucidate on this. This is a good question that almost everyone wonders about and like most questions, it has been answered in the extensive and long lasting zen-bear thread started by Fu Dog several years ago. 

• Like 1

My comments on those 2 Doo Wai videos for health posted above. Wow, I would need an almost photographic memory to remember all of those movements. Really advanced level stuff, especially compared to the easier ones from Flying Phoenix Chi Kung series. 

That makes me always wonder how is it possible that Grandmaster Doo Wai was able to memorize the hundreds of meditations that he has taught? Is that really humanly possible, or does this mean he had a photographic memory? I am sure that some of his students have asked him how he was able to accomplish this feat and I am curious how he answered this. Hundreds of separate postures that he managed to remember into old age?

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, tao stillness said:

My comments on those 2 Doo Wai videos for health posted above. Wow, I would need an almost photographic memory to remember all of those movements. Really advanced level stuff, especially compared to the easier ones from Flying Phoenix Chi Kung series. 

That makes me always wonder how is it possible that Grandmaster Doo Wai was able to memorize the hundreds of meditations that he has taught? Is that really humanly possible, or does this mean he had a photographic memory? I am sure that some of his students have asked him how he was able to accomplish this feat and I am curious how he answered this. Hundreds of separate postures that he managed to remember into old age?

Hi Steve,

You're not the only one who is amazed by the absolutely staggering amount of knowledge that GM Doo Wai has--not just the hundreds upon hundreds (no exaggeration) of classical Kung Fu forms comprised of:   all the Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu forms (including the dragon forms that GM Doo Wai's father gave to the GM Chun Lai Chuen of the Bak Mei System; the complete Bat Dim Gum (8 Sections of Energy Combined system, an ultra-rare esoteric system) that's not even a Bok Fu Pai art, the complete Ehrmei Mtn Bak Mei Kung Fu system, the Tibetan Burning Palm system that Sifu Garry Hearfield preserves, the advanced 10,000 Buddhas (Ascend To heaven) meditation system consisting of 54 powerful Qigong exercises, PLUS all the vast systems of healing Qigong:  Flying Phoenix, Sunn Yi Gung that Sifu Garry preserves, PLUS the VAST pharmacopeia and body of Trad. Chinese Medicine--herbal and healing art--that is distinctly Bok Fu Pai.  For examle, I have all the herbal formulas not just 12 types of dit da jiao, but also formulas for herbal tinctures that aid meditation and vitality, and  formulas to create herbal pills ("wan") for general health and that are integral to specific arts:  Bat Dim Gum,  BFP Iron Palm, and BFP Iron Body.  And those are just the arts that I'm aware of.  Between Sifu Garry and myself, we guess that we might have received training in about 50% of what GM Doo Wai knows, if that.

Yes, the videos of GM Doo Wai's "Healing Meditaiton" and "Detox Meditation" ARE indeed ADVANCED in their sophistication and their effects.  And they look complex becaiuse GM Doo Wai's form is , well, pretty perfect.  But they are not that complex when it comes to classical forms to be learned.  Just jump in and practice  them over and over with eyes open.  Practice until body memory take sove rand you no longer have to peek at the video.  I assure, it's worth it to do those two little treasures that he put on Youtube!  --and , btw, these two moving meditations would be interesting for anyone to run by Eric Isen, to verify their effects on oneself if practiced.

Enjoy,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikujg_catalog.html

• Like 2

Thank you for that reply Sifu Terry but you have left my head spinning thinking of GM Doo Wai's encyclopedic mind. I contrast his visual memory to mine which is stunted due to being born with a short term visual memory learning disorder. So it is always a struggle to learn the more detailed qigong forms such as FP volume 4, the long form. So you and GM Doo Wai continue to amaze me. Seems like an Olympic level accomplishment. Especially compared to my visual memory which has been tested to be less effective than the visual memory of a 9 year old child. I am sure that someone will eventually have Eric test those forms that you have posted. Your FP series and every advanced Doo Wai form that I have had Eric test always comes back as extraordinary high level with spiritual and physical healing results from a type of Qi that has an innate intelligence to go where it is in needed for each individual. At  times Eric has described the Qi from Doo Wai systems as consisting of Divine Intelligence energy having a gold color to it and at other times he has seen my brain enveloped in white cloud of energy that was blessing me by healing my brain. Nothing mundane about Doo Wai stuff. 

Edited by tao stillness
punctuation correction
  • Like 2

Hi,

Just wanted to check that it's fine mixing up the standing and sitting exercises? I wouldn't think it'd be an issue but thought i'd confirm. Usually i'd do the standing ones first, then sitting as that's how it is with the dvds and the guide, but yesterday I just mixed them up to change it up a bit and keep it interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benbeastmode said:

Hi,

Just wanted to check that it's fine mixing up the standing and sitting exercises? I wouldn't think it'd be an issue but thought i'd confirm. Usually i'd do the standing ones first, then sitting as that's how it is with the dvds and the guide, but yesterday I just mixed them up to change it up a bit and keep it interesting.

define “mixing up”. Are you just doing different exercises than your normal routine? That’s fine. But if you’re changing breathing sequences or movements, no.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 7:05 PM, zen-bear said:

hi thelerner,

Other than FP Qigong, there are no other guided meditations outside of the Bok Fu Pai tradition  that I would recommend to people in a weakened state because I don't know of any Qigong system that is easier to do and less demanding than FP Qigong and yet imparts substantial energization and rejuvenation and activates the body's self-healing faculties, .  E.g., Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method), which I have been practicing since 1975 and teaching since 1983, is powerful, complete and profound Taoist monastic system, but it is far more demanding and requires more mental and visual concentration and physical stamina to learn and practice than FP Qigong.  Therefore, the first thing I would recommend is for the weakened people that you speak of to do  to start in on practicing FP Qigong.  They are so easy and user-friendly and not taxing at all as far as authentic Qigong systems go. 

Besides starting with FP Qigong, the people in a weakened state might also try any of GM Doo Wai's Youtube videos, such as the Detox Meditation and what is called his Healing Qigong Meditation.

Healing Qigong Meditation.

These two Healing Qigong exercises are actually more complex and more difficult to learn, remember and practice than the two intermediate FP Standing Meditations on Vol. 3 of my DVD series ("Wind Through Treetops" and Wind Above The Clouds").  But these also produce good results if you (or they) can manage to learn them.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichmania.com/chikung_catalog.html

On that note: has anyone attempted to learn these? I figured I would eventually learn them from Sifu Terry himself as breaking the movements down helps my understanding better than just following the movements. I'm sure I could learn from these videos if I dedicated the time, but nuances are something that are better discovered from formal instruction, especially as they can be missed just watching videos...even Sifu Terry's videos no matter how elaborate and thorough they are!

I will also add that even if I thought I had the forms down pat, Sifu Terry showed me many more nuances and subtleties that I would never have known about in my own body movements mirroring his video that I had completely missed.

Let this be a reminder that those who really want to benefit from Flying Phoenix really should get private lessons with Sifu Terry!

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

define “mixing up”. Are you just doing different exercises than your normal routine? That’s fine. But if you’re changing breathing sequences or movements, no.

Oh, nah i'm doing the breathing sequences and exercises the same.

But for example i've been doing standing exercise 3,4,5 and then sitting exercise 3,4,5.. and yesterday I did the sitting ones first then the standing ones.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Benbeastmode said:

Oh, nah i'm doing the breathing sequences and exercises the same.

But for example i've been doing standing exercise 3,4,5 and then sitting exercise 3,4,5.. and yesterday I did the sitting ones first then the standing ones.

Totally fine then. The key is to JUST DO THEM. :)

• Like 2

Attention all Flying Phoenix Qigong practitioners and enthusiasts in the New York region: 

This Saturday, Nov. 2, from 10am to 5:30 pm, at the New York Open Center (30th & Madison Ave., I will be giving a 6-hour immersive workshop in FP Qigong.  I will cover all the first-level Flying Phoenix meditations on Volumes 1 through 3, Vol.5, and Vol.7 of my Chi Kung For Health DVD series (2004).  In other words you can learn the entire standing portion of the FP Qigong system short of the capstone Long Form Meditation taught on Volume 4 and you will learn up to  25%  of all the Monk Serves Wine seated Flying Phoenix meditations (6 out of 24). 

Several of the "Old Guard" from my Eastover workshops over the past 3 years--Tony and Corinne Arcuri, Spencer Lawrence and SJ  will be attending...so you will have experienced FP practitioners to follow and exchange notes with.

To all my New York City students and friends who have never done Flying Phoenix Qigong: invest one Saturday--this coming Saturday--and your paradigm for health, wellness, longevity, brain center activation, and SPIRITUALISM will be SHIFTED FOREVER with tangibly energizing and rejuvenating effects of Flying Phoenix Qigong, which sets on within 45 minutes of practice, usually sooner. You will simply will not be able to imagine--and therefore will not be able to believe--that a human being could have created this tangibly healing and profoundly restorative meditative art.

To all my west coast friends and friends across the country:  please tell all your friends and relations in NYC to come to this once-a-year opportunity to experience and learn powerfully healing authentic Taoist monastic Qigong at its source. This high yogic art produces results that last.

Info and registration here:    https://www.opencenter.org/flying-phoenix-qigong

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, miwizi said:

Thanks for the link.

Nothing as exotic as Kiswahili,  just the first two letters of each of my three names joined as one.

The questions I have concerning Flying Phoenix include exercise specific movements or position (monk splashes water, jade emperor lifts golden pagoda) and general chi gung principles.

(1) When practicing "monk splashes water" as the arms/hands separate to the sides, should there be a feeling expansion to the collarbone area and a feeling of contraction of the shoulder blades, or should it be a case of finding the least tension front and back? 

(2) In general what is the distribution of weight on the foot between the heel and the ball of the foot?

(3) When practicing "jade emperor lifts golden pagoda," should the weight distribution between legs change or remain 50/50?

(4) In general how much does one rely on personal internal feedback as opposed to mimicry of visual info from dvd etc.? An example for me would be the options in "jade emperor lifts golden pagoda." As the single arm extends outward and downward there is an angle that produces the least tension in the body. Do I use this trajectory or do I try to approximate what I see?

Thanks for the opportunity. miwizi

Quoted here for Sifu Terry @zen-bear to answer. These exercises are not on the CKFH volumes. 

• Like 1

Video images from the start of last Saturday's Flying Phoenix Qigong workshop at the Natural Living Expo in Marlborough, MA. A nice group of 60 enjoyed the sublimely energizing and restorative two hours--with an overtime session of 30 minutes in the hallway afterwards!

https://vimeo.com/372431999

https://vimeo.com/372426783

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Four more days until my first Tai Chi and Qigong workshops at Woodstock, NY!!

Three 2-hour workshops in one day: (1) Tao Tan Pai Nei Gung, (2) Ehrmei Mountain Flying Phoenix Qigong, and (3) Yang Tai Chi Chuan (focus on William C.C. Chen's 60-part Form, Tai Chi Sword, and Push-hands).

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/terry-dunn-one-day-qigong-tai-chi-seminar-in-woodstock-tickets-74721557189?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=escb&utm-source=cp&utm-term=listing

https://www.facebook.com/events/2433068673449628/

• Like 1

Pre-Thanksgiving update: 

November 4:  Another spectacular testimonial came in spontaneously and quite unexpectedly from 81-year old Rori Kanter, one of my FP Qigong students in Lenox, MA who takes my weekly community classes.  She told the class that at the end of her annual physical exam by her doctor the day before, he asked what she was doing for exercise?  When she told him, "Qigong with Terry Dunn for the past 6 months" he " I want to send my patients to him."   And that was because--as he told her-- she had the vitality and strength of a 59-year old male:

https://vimeo.com/372632471

November 16:   My first FP Qigong workshop at Woodstock workshop was a great success with a turnout of 30 people.  FP followed a 2 hour Tao Tan Pai -31 session in which we covered all 15 standing meditations and the first 5 of the 16 seated meditations.  At the end of the FP workshop, 5 attendees said that they would travel to my workshops in Lenox at Eastover Estate, which is only a 90 min. drive from Woodstock.  As in the case of every FP Qigong workshop, several people--4 in this case-- reported in the following days to Mark, the sponsor of the workshop, that when they woke up on Sunday morning, their most pronounced chronic pains had disappeared.  

After 2 hours of FP,  I taught a 2 hour class in the Yang Tai Chi Form of GM William C.C. Chen that included 40 min.s of Push-hands.  And the local clique that practices Yang Tai Chi together are coming to Lenox for future workshops and classes with me and my teacher GM William C.C. Chen.

But that was November 16.   This is the Thanksgiving update:   because I was invited to a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner given by a close friend and student who is a prima Italian chef and had 3 of 4 of her children with their spouses and 5 of her brilliant grandchildren at the table, and the deliciousness of the food (including  desserts that were all equally delectable) and the energy and conversation at the table caused me to eat a higher volume of food at a higher velocity than ever before,  I naturally had to devised a fast-digestion FP workout when I got home.  And here his is it:

1.  Wind Above the Clouds - 2 rounds (6 min.)

2.  Wind through the Treetops - one round  (4 min.)

3.  Bending the Bows - 9 rounds done very, very slowly--i.e., at the  proverbial "Speed of a Shifting Sand Dune."  (10 min.)

4.  Monk Holding Pearl in supine position (for 10 min.)

Time:  30 minutes--i.e., if you don't fall asleep during #4.

5.  The 2nd warm-up seated meditation on Vol.2 (50 10 50) -- POP QUIZ:  can anyone figure out why this meditation is good for digestion?

Happy Holidays,

Sifu Terry.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, zen-bear said:

Pre-Thanksgiving update: 

November 4:  Another spectacular testimonial came in spontaneously and quite unexpectedly from 81-year old Rori Kanter, one of my FP Qigong students in Lenox, MA who takes my weekly community classes.  She told the class that at the end of her annual physical exam by her doctor the day before, he asked what she was doing for exercise?  When she told him, "Qigong with Terry Dunn for the past 6 months" he " I want to send my patients to him."   And that was because--as he told her-- she had the vitality and strength of a 59-year old male:

https://vimeo.com/372632471

November 16:   My first FP Qigong workshop at Woodstock workshop was a great success with a turnout of 30 people.  FP followed a 2 hour Tao Tan Pai -31 session in which we covered all 15 standing meditations and the first 5 of the 16 seated meditations.  At the end of the FP workshop, 5 attendees said that they would travel to my workshops in Lenox at Eastover Estate, which is only a 90 min. drive from Woodstock.  As in the case of every FP Qigong workshop, several people--4 in this case-- reported in the following days to Mark, the sponsor of the workshop, that when they woke up on Sunday morning, their most pronounced chronic pains had disappeared.  

After 2 hours of FP,  I taught a 2 hour class in the Yang Tai Chi Form of GM William C.C. Chen that included 40 min.s of Push-hands.  And the local clique that practices Yang Tai Chi together are coming to Lenox for future workshops and classes with me and my teacher GM William C.C. Chen.

But that was November 16.   This is the Thanksgiving update:   because I was invited to a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner given by a close friend and student who is a prima Italian chef and had 3 of 4 of her children with their spouses and 5 of her brilliant grandchildren at the table, and the deliciousness of the food (including  desserts that were all equally delectable) and the energy and conversation at the table caused me to eat a higher volume of food at a higher velocity than ever before,  I naturally had to devised a fast-digestion FP workout when I got home.  And here his is it:

1.  Wind Above the Clouds - 2 rounds (6 min.)

2.  Wind through the Treetops - one round  (4 min.)

3.  Bending the Bows - 9 rounds done very, very slowly--i.e., at the  proverbial "Speed of a Shifting Sand Dune."  (10 min.)

4.  Monk Holding Pearl in supine position (for 10 min.)

Time:  30 minutes--i.e., if you don't fall asleep during #4.

5.  The 2nd warm-up seated meditation on Vol.2 (50 10 50) -- can anyone figure out why this meditation is good for digestion?

Happy Holidays,

Sifu Terry.

The above workout to me looks like it moves the energy around for Wind Above Clouds and Wind Through Tree Tops to the trunk of the body and stretches the spine, relaxes the back, and abdomen. Bending the Bows brings energy into the tummy and LDT in a flowing movement. Monk Holding Pearl relaxes the body completely as the qi is circulating and Holding the Cosmic Egg (Basic Seated Meditation #3, 50-10-50) holds all energy in place, at least from what I see and experienced.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ronin2019 said:

I have 2 related questions. I am going to start standing and sitting repetitions. Do I do the closing breaths after each repetition or just at the end of the repetition? When I start with my  second sitting and standing sets do I do the closing breathing on set one before starting set two, or just go into set two? Maybe this has already been asked and answered, I'm working my through all the posts.  Thanks

This is a question that is already answered on the DVD, but as a reminder: closing breaths are only done AT THE END OF THE EXERCISE. 

If you're doing Monk Serves Wine, you do this only after SEVEN repetitions.

If you do this for something like Bending the Bow, you do this after you have completed the desired number of repetitions, NOT after each one. 

As a reminder for others, PLEASE DO NOT CREATE NEW TOPICS IN THE FORUM. ONLY POST HERE IN THE MAIN THREAD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

This is a question that is already answered on the DVD, but as a reminder: closing breaths are only done AT THE END OF THE EXERCISE. 

If you're doing Monk Serves Wine, you do this only after SEVEN repetitions.

If you do this for something like Bending the Bow, you do this after you have completed the desired number of repetitions, NOT after each one. 

As a reminder for others, PLEASE DO NOT CREATE NEW TOPICS IN THE FORUM. ONLY POST HERE IN THE MAIN THREAD.

Earl Grey,

Thank you so much for accurately answering Ronin2019's 2 questions about closing breaths!.

Sifu Terry

• Thanks 1

To the Flying Phoenix Qigong community:

ACK!!!   I had it in mind, but got so busy after Thanksgiving break that  I missed it by a day:  "It" being to remind y'all to take note of and celebrate the fact that December 4 is/was the:

TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THIS FLYING PHOENIX CHI KUNG FORUM!      --which was yesterday, December 4!

--and our need to acknowledge it's longevity and the fact that it is still going strong [--Despite the fact that in the summer of 2018, the Daobums moderators had to move this forum out of the universally accessible General Discussion section into the Personal Practice Discussion where I can edit it--due to the thread being repeatedly trolled by what can only be called venal low-life/miscreants attempting to divert traffic to pathetic scam sites charging upwards of $10,000 (!!) for stolen videos that the vast majority of Qigong practitioners aren't advanced enough to even use and have no business practicing--containing material that I would teach anyway to any of student who followed the proper course of training in the Bok Fu Pai tradition--and at affordable cost.]

Exactly 10 years ago yesterday, a 51-year old management consultant in Orlando, FL named Lloyd McClelland (screen name "Fu-doggy") posted the very first comment about Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditations on a www.thetaobums.com thread that he had started.  (For those of you who remember, this blogsite was spelled with a "t" back then.)  A few weeks later, Lloyd contacted me by email and asked if I would join the discussion thread as people were asking a lot of questions about Flying Phoenix Qigong.  Lloyd explained to me that he had more than 7 years of experience in various other styles of Qigong--but had never experienced anything as powerful as Flying Phoenix Qigong.  I had never heard of thetaobums.com before...so when I visited the site, I was delighted to find that it was totally legit and was hosting hundreds of discussions about eastern holistic health practices, including many occult Taoist and Buddhist traditions.

We thus all owe a debt of gratitude to "Fu_doggy" Lloyd for starting this discussion thread on December 4, 2009--and I owe him a personal debt for contacting me and inviting me to join the thread! 

••> And we also send a great shout-out of a THANK YOU to the founder/creator of www.thedaobums.com, Sean Omlor!

Someone can check, but I am pretty confident that our FPCK discussion is the longest running forum on the DaoBums blogsite--and by far.   To be accurate, if we subtract Earl Grey's two postings within the past 10 hours and subject this notice, the numbers of postings of the FPCK discussion thread is a total of 5,069 replies, or 5,070 postings (including Lloyd's prime posting.)  And if we subtract 4 views, we arrive at a 10-year anniversary total of 638,765 views.  This thread's longevity and the vast diversity of practitioners' unique accounts of their  experiences of the tangible, measurable, and demonstrative health, yogic, and spiritual benefits derived from their practice of Flying Phoenix Qigong is a very substantial testament to the fact that this authentic system of Taoist monastic hygienics works like no other.  And just this past Sunday, I was given the following scientific assessment of the efficacy of Flying Phoenix Qigong as a system of hygienics by  Dr. Yetsa Tuakli-Wosornu of the Yale School of Public Health and the Yale School of Medicine--with whom I became acquainted in April of this year:

"The practice of Flying Phoenix Qigong elevates parasympathetic tone.

The practice of this system of hygienics is truly restorative in real time and over time afterwards.”

-- Yetsa A. Tuakli-Wosornu, M.D., M.P.H., IOC Dip. Sp. Med.

Assistant Clinical Professor, Yale School of Public Health Department of Chronic Disease Epidemiology, International Olympic Committee (IOC) Working Group on the Prevention of Harassment and Abuse in Sport, World Obstacle Course Racing (FISO) Safeguarding Committee International Blind Sports Federation (IBSA) Medical Committee.   (Dr. Tuakli-Wosornu is a former All-American in track and field, when she was a Yale undergrad and also Olympic competitor in the long-jump for Ghana. She earned her medical degree from the Harvard Medical School and Masters in Public Health from Johns Hopkins University.)

So instead of stumbling and bumbling around, searching for words to describe what FP Qigong does for health and longevity when we try to recommend it to others, all we FP practitioners can now quote Dr. Tuakli and sound reasonably scientific!   

So, on this 10-year Anniversary of the FPCK thread on thedaobums.com,
THANK YOU, LLOYD.
THANK YOU, SEAN.
AND THANK YOU, DR. YETSA TUAKLI !

Sincerely,
Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html
Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 8

On 11/9/2019 at 8:48 AM, Earl Grey said:

Quoted here for Sifu Terry @zen-bear to answer. These exercises are not on the CKFH volumes. 

[Thanks for quoting, Earl Grey.]

Miwizi,  here are answers to your questions--even though they are about the old Vol.6  VHS video that I took off the market in the 1990's that contains advanced Bok Fu Pai Meditations that are NOT part of the Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Kung system:  

(1) When practicing "monk splashes water" as the arms/hands separate to the sides, should there be a feeling expansion to the collarbone area and a feeling of contraction of the shoulder blades, or should it be a case of finding the least tension front and back? 

• The theme of "Monk Splashes Water" is opening and closing the chest in both of its movements.  As with many Bok Fu Pai and FP meditations that are done 18 times:  Just Do It.  This  exercise itself when done regularly conditions the practitioner to eventually never have any gap between the points of the scapula (shoulder blades) even when the hands are "expanding" in front of the throat.

(2) In general what is the distribution of weight on the foot between the heel and the ball of the foot?

• Approximately 50% to 50%.  You can also apply pressure equally to "three nails"--as taught by Tai Chi grandmaster William C.C. Chen:  one point underneath the middle of the big toe, another point underneath the middle of the ball of the foot, and a third point underneath the middle of the heel pad.   

(3) When practicing "jade emperor lifts golden pagoda," should the weight distribution between legs change or remain 50/50?

• Yes.  Concentrate on keeping the weight distribution 50/50 between the two feet throughout the entire meditation.  As each extended arm lowers from the stretched overhead position with palms facing upward, just stay centered--i.e., keep your center of gravity equi-distant between the two feet.

(4) In general how much does one rely on personal internal feedback as opposed to mimicry of visual info from dvd etc.? An example for me would be the options in "jade emperor lifts golden pagoda." As the single arm extends outward and downward there is an angle that produces the least tension in the body. Do I use this trajectory or do I try to approximate what I see?

• With "Jade Emperor" you want to lower each arm straight to the side (at a 90 degree anglerelative to the direction that your hips and shoulders are facing--i.e., on the normal).

Thanks for the opportunity. miwizi

Thank "Fu_doggy" for starting this thread and Sean Omlor for creating the Daobums.com blogsite.

Good nuanced questions, Miwizi.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1