Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

4 hours ago, miwizi said:

(1) re: monk bends bow and wind above the clouds. How many reps? Other 3 are > 5 mins.

Bending the Bow is ideally 18 repetitions, but you can do less to start with, as a beginner until you get there. When you are able to have perfect upper and lower body harmony, you can do less than 18 to feel the full effect.

Wind Above the Clouds is ONE repetition. If you want to do multiple repetitions, you must close the form after one repetition, then open again with another breath sequence. 

(2) Given the intersection of FP and meridian theory, do individual meditations focus on identifiable meridians?

As Sifu Terry explained before, this system does not correspond to TCM, it has its own system of health. Often, he says that the qi is intelligent and goes where it needs to, though it's been written that the Sleeper on Vol.7 and Waker-Upper on Vol. 2 are for the frontal and back lobes of the brain respectively. 

(3) In your previous answers you referenced a "theme" for one of the meditations. Are there themes for each of those on vol. 1?

As far as "themes", one can look at the three static meditations on Vol.1 and presume they correspond to any of the upper, middle, or lower dantian, but that's just one way of looking at it and not necessarily true. :) 

(1) Every single performance of a meditation creates a truly  unique experience, even after 15 yrs?

Yes!

(2) My wife and I have practiced together from the beginning. Between meditations we generally have a brief exchange over the "focus" of our experience. Freakishly frequently we find our focus (e.g. lower spine) identical but our experiences individual. Is this "theme?"

Possibly. The qi goes where it needs to go and it is intelligent and heals what is prioritized for each individual. 

• Like 3

Thanks for your attention to my questions. Going to give the questioning a rest and simple practice for awhile and let that lead me to additional understanding. Thanks again. miwizi

• Like 2

Sifu Terry Dunn, the lord of this manor, is absent. In anticipation that his return couldn't be hastened, I successfully petitioned him for the permission to post the following Q&A in his stead.

I, the great ignoramus, had asked his lordship:

Sifu, what is your opinion and experience about keeping tongue to the roof of mouth while doing energy work or meditation? Is it ever unnecessary?

Then a lightning bolt split the sky and an authoritative voice declared:

keeping tongue on roof of the mouth is essential in FP Qigong.  Not necessary  in other systems such as Tai Chi Ruler.  e.g., in beginning Tai Chi Ruler practice , one inhales through the nose and exhales through the mouth on every breath.  That is for cleansing and expelling stagnant qi (toxins, etc.).  But in more advanced TC Ruler practice, using the exact same movements, one can also touch tongue to roof of mouth for deeper integration and Qi cultivation.

The orthodox method of touching the tongue on roof of mouth, as I explained at some point early on the FPCK thread, is to point it far back towards the center of the brain, the pineal gland.

The pineal gland, conarium, or epiphysis cerebri, is a small endocrine gland in the brain of most vertebrates. The pineal gland produces melatonin, a serotonin-derived hormone which modulates sleep patterns in both circadian and seasonal cycles.

Some schools of  Tibetan Yoga are so serious about this method that they cut the membrane at the bottom of the tongue--OUCH--so as to enable the practitioner to point the tongue directly at the pineal gland.

Let me and the FPCK thread know if you decide to do that!

Thus spoke the Zen Bear.

• Like 1

"Lord of the manor", "his lordship". The reason for referring to Sifu Dunn that way? Is that being facetious? Or is that meant to be whimsical? I don't really know how it was meant since it might imply lack of respect and resentment. Just wondering. 

Ok this is a bit out there but do you think if one of us consistent fp practitioners lost an arm that when doing a meditation the chi would still flow as if that arm was there?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, BluePhoenix133 said:

Ok this is a bit out there but do you think if one of us consistent fp practitioners lost an arm that when doing a meditation the chi would still flow as if that arm was there?

Yes. :) In a similar system, Fragrant, this is the same. 

As Sifu Terry said in a post long ago, chakras, dantians, meridians--this practice is just one mind. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

well into the occidental new year day 22.  I am well along into a 108 day gong for the long form.  I start each day with the long form,  during the past 3 weeks I have experienced 4 sessions of 40 min duration.  These long sessions have begun to have periods of serious silence in the monkey mind.  It can be a little disconcerting because I may suddenly feel like I might have missed a posture.  However the timing in the end reassures that I have not.   I experience very intense periods of presence in ni wan gong.  This is a fairly recent development.   Tonight i did a couple of sessions following sifu dunn's youtube demonstations.  i turned the speed down to .5 in the shorter 7 min version. 

Practice has helped with my general well being in a time of cultural insanity. 

Peace to all sentient beings.

• Like 4

oh and the oriental new year approaches  technically it begins Jan 24th as the new year  is 25th in China and we lag behind.

The year of the Rat.  white metal if i recall correctly.   Interesting to read some of the qualities of the Rat year.  Rather tragic that the flu outbreak will cause some rather serious disruptions in the celebration since travel will be impacted.

anyway a happy new year of the Rat to all FPCH practicioners

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

White metal huh, not sure what the white means but metal probably my weakest element, i miss practicing elemental chi gong as a heavy smoker those exercises really had an affect on me coughing up all kinds of gunk unfortunately i forget the exercises.

I noticed a discrepency on the second meditation of dvd 2 'moon beam splashes on the water'. I should know this meditation off by heart but i always just play the DVD and follow along. When he does the palm pushes on wrist whilst facing left then comes back with fists clenched i always think it was supposed to be three times.

However looking at the practice runs it is the bit before with palms facing each other that he only does twice in the practice but in the full thing does it three times. It probably doesnt really matter, if anything i would like to do both palms facing towards each other and clenched fists three times each but if it is supposed to be two that is what i shall do.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:02 AM, BluePhoenix133 said:

I noticed a discrepency on the second meditation of dvd 2 'moon beam splashes on the water'. I should know this meditation off by heart but i always just play the DVD and follow along. When he does the palm pushes on wrist whilst facing left then comes back with fists clenched i always think it was supposed to be three times.

However looking at the practice runs it is the bit before with palms facing each other that he only does twice in the practice but in the full thing does it three times. It probably doesnt really matter, if anything i would like to do both palms facing towards each other and clenched fists three times each but if it is supposed to be two that is what i shall do.

I will mention this to him later.

What my personal session with him showed that long form on volume 4 has two pushes of the wrist whereas moonbeam has three, but will need to verify again to be sure.

There are some corrections and clarification needed. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Heartbreak said:

Out of curiosity is it possible for anyone with leg injuries to only practice sitting flying phoenix meditations only?

Yes! Any of the FP meditations are great and each offers immense healing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 04/01/2010 at 8:09 AM, zen-bear said:

Right on with the potatoes! :lol:

Also, to keep each breath cycle nicely balanced, after I exhale, let's say 60%, I hold the breath and finish counting the other "4 potatotes" to get to 10 potatoes before I inhale back to the top. Over the years, I've found that this bit of "retention" adds to effect of each breath control sequence.

How many FP practitioners hold their breadths for additional 4 seconds before breathing to the top again? 

Is it helpful or even necessary?

10 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Yes! Any of the FP meditations are great and each offers immense healing!

I am wondering if any FP practitioner has ever tried to do all the exercises in a lying down supine position?

What would the effects be?

24 minutes ago, Heartbreak said:

How many FP practitioners hold their breadths for additional 4 seconds before breathing to the top again? 

Nope and nope. It is "helpful" as far as Sifu Terry says it has been for him, but not necessary per se. 

23 minutes ago, Heartbreak said:

I am wondering if any FP practitioner has ever tried to do all the exercises in a lying down supine position?

What would the effects be?

NO. DO NOT DO THIS. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OF THE MEDITATIONS. DO NOT DO THIS EVER!!!! It has been repeated multiple times in this thread by Sifu Terry and asked many times too. 

There is only one exception: Monk Holding Pearl, which can be done supine. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

continuing on track  day  43  ..  the real test comes later this week ... we are traveling to visit family ..  It is always a little hard to keep to the daily practice with 3 dogs and 2 grandsons all of whom are very active.

this week has begun with two consecutive 40+ minute long form meditations;  a first for this to happen.  

As I may have mentioned I am also working on a yi jin jing besides my teaching my tai ji class 4-5 days each week.

keep practicing  ... do the form for the intention of doing the form.

Peace .. Hoa Binh

Edited by ridingtheox
omitted word 'minute'
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2019 at 4:04 PM, zen-bear said:

Ever since I started teaching FP Qigong in the early 90's, I've advised students who can't assume the half-lotus or crossed legged seated position to sit in a straight back chair.  that is next best.  And it still imparts full benefits of the MSW series, as you've shared.  The key for successful practice of MSW is (1)  keeping the legs still and relaxed on the ground and (2) most importantly, KEEPING THE BACK STILL while you perform the natural movements each meditation with total relaxation.  (and keeping the back still and in good vertical postures with crown of the head stretching upward and chin tilted downward ever so-slightly).

I have a question on Sifu Terry's advice on using a chair.  Is it okay to lean against a straight back chair, or should one sit more towards the front of the chair without leaning and without any back support?  Thanks

30 minutes ago, orange said:

I have a question on Sifu Terry's advice on using a chair.  Is it okay to lean against a straight back chair, or should one sit more towards the front of the chair without leaning and without any back support?  Thanks

Since he's quite busy, I'll say that what I've seen and recommend based on my own teaching of meditation is to sit more towards the front of the chair, but if you need back support because of weight or pain, it's okay, just not optimal. 

• Like 4

On 2/6/2020 at 2:32 PM, Heartbreak said:

Out of curiosity is it possible for anyone with leg injuries to only practice sitting flying phoenix meditations only?

Yes, if one cannot do the standing FP meditations, then one can work around that handicap and do just the seated FP meditations.  But this is very sub-optimal.  As stated several times on the thread over the years, the standing meditations are more powerful than the seated meditations--even though the seated ones may seem more affective because one feels the Qi cultivating more readily in the head, hands and torso with the seated.

Also, as I've stated in previous posts:  the Monk Holding Pearl standing meditation (50 40 30 20 10) can also be done in supine position (and in seated position as well) to excellent effect.  In fact, I often will end an evening class with Monk Holding Pearl in supine position, if there are students who need and want a total and sure-fire RESET of their mind-body.

But Monk Holding Pearl is the one of the standing FP exercises that can also be done seated or supine.  All the others can only be done on one's feet.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 8:34 PM, orange said:

Hi Orange,

It doesn't matter if one sits on the forward part of a chair seat with back upright or if one sits back on the seat supported by the back of the chair--just as it doesn't matter for those who are able to sit in half-lotus or full-lotus position whether they sit upright away from a wall or prop or whether they sit with back against a wall, piece of furniture, any type of prop.  The FP seated MSW meditations are very accommodating:  as long as one KEEPS THE BACK STILL and upright and moves relaxedly, it doesn't matter whether one's back is being supported by a prop or not--in order to receive maximum health benefits from the meditations.

Good practicing!

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 3

On 2/7/2020 at 4:08 AM, Heartbreak said:

Hi Heartbreak,

No, it is not necessary to hold the breath for any duration before breathing to the top again.  Not helpful for beginners and intermediates.  I might be interesting only for a few very, very advanced yogins

Again, there is absolutely NO breath RETENTION (HOLDING) required in the FP Qigong  practice to derive optimal health benefits.

It's not needed because each FP Meditation's unique percentage breath control formulas is sufficient to ignite the cultivation of fine FP Healing Qi.

If one were to  hold the breath for an extra 4 seconds or however long at the end of each exhalation, that puts the system into a slightly unnatural O2 deficit, which would cause the body on the next inhalation  to involuntarily inhale faster and more voluminously. 

If one were a very advanced yogin, with great conscious control over one's involuntary functions, then it might be interesting to do that type of unnecessary breath retention--just to see what other side effects might be caused.  But for the vast majority of FP practitioners--especially beginners:  the rule of thumb is "No holding of the breath--during any part of the meditations."

Good practicing.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

Mark February 29 on your calendars, New Yorkers and Northeasterners:

9 days until my 8-hour Taoist Elixir Method Qigong workshop at the New York Open Center (30th and Madison), teaching Basic 31 Meditations of Tao Tan Pai, an authentic Taoist monastic system of hygienics and kung fu created 24 generations ago during the Tang Dynasty.

As explained in the this thread and initially advised by GM Doo Wai, who was a friend and peer of Taoist priest Share K. Lew, the Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) Nei Kung, although completely different in methodology and alchemy in every way--and cultivates a unique and completely different type or "flavor" of Qi in comparison to the FP Qigong and its FP Healing Energy, is a perfect foundational catalyst that supports the practice of FP Qigong and enhances all the self-healing and spiritual benefits FP Qigong.  In the words of GM Doo Wai:  "Yeah, you can mix the two energies.  No problem.  They are very compatible."

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1