Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hello there, I just have a question about the Tao Tan Pai exercises and their synergistic relationship with the Flying Phoenix Qigong.  If one practices exercises in the same day - say Tao Tan Pai in the morning and Flying Phoenix in the afternoon will this synergistic effect be there, or does Tao Tan Pai and Flying Phoenix need to be practiced in the same session?

with many thanks

Adhimutti

• Like 1

Hello to all FP Practitioners and Friends of FP:

Here is a link to the current issue of my new Newsletter with general info and teachings about Qigong and Meditation, along with sign-up info for my weekly Livestream 2-hour concentratd Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Meditations followed by Flying Phoenix Qigong practice:

https://terencedunn.substack.com/p/sunday-may-24-memorial-day-weekend

Each issue contains lots of of additional relevant and fun stuff, too.

Please subscribe for free to get automatic email updats on all my Zoom Livestream classes (one on Sundays at present; ramping up to 4 different ongoing weekly classes):

terencedunn.substack.com

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimanai.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

On 5/18/2020 at 8:20 PM, Attumidha said:

Hello there, I just have a question about the Tao Tan Pai exercises and their synergistic relationship with the Flying Phoenix Qigong.  If one practices exercises in the same day - say Tao Tan Pai in the morning and Flying Phoenix in the afternoon will this synergistic effect be there, or does Tao Tan Pai and Flying Phoenix need to be practiced in the same session?

with many thanks

Adhimutti

Hi Adhimutti,

If you have the time to do both TTP-31 practice (e.g., the TTP Short Form Power Yoga consisting of Exercises No.1, 2, 3, 4 and 18) and FP Qigong practice (3 standing meditations plus 2 seatd Monk Serves Wine meditations) all in one session, that's optimal and excellent schedule.  You will notice the synergies more readily.  But if you practice TTP-31 in the morning and then FP Qigong in the evenings on a daily basis, over time, say within a week or two, you should feel the same synergies as if you were doing the TTP and FP in the same session. 

On one hand, it's ideal and optimal to learn the TTP-31 separately from any other practice and optimal to learn FP Qigong separately from any other practice.  (I learned the entire TTP Nei Kung system from 1975 through 1983; the FP system from 1991 through 1997.)  Once you have proficiency in both, then combining the two (with TTP ahead of FP practice every time) would impart wonderful synergistic, amplification effects that would enhance the salient healing/restorative effects of FP Qigong.

Let us know how you progress with the combination.

Sifu Terry

P.S.  See my free newsletter at terencedunn.substack.com to get info and Zoom Meeting ID's for my weekly Sunday Livestreamed 2-hour course that combines TTP-31 (hour one) with FP Qigong (hour two).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2020 at 2:46 PM, centertime said:

Is there going to be a session today?

I cannot find a link. His site is not accessable.

Hello Centertime,

so sorry I missed your post all the way until now.

For weekly updates and Zoom Meeting ID's for both of my weekly 2-hour Livestreamed classes (Basic TTP + FP Qigong on Sundays 4pm-6pm EST;  a new Intermediate Course on Wednesdays 7pm-9pm EST starting July 1) subscribe for free to my email Newsletter:   terencedunn.substack.com 

Thanks for your interest.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear

Hello to the FPCK community,

This podcast and book report is copied-and-pasted from my June 28 issue of my Qigong/Tai Chi Newsletter (terencedunn.substack.com):

• BASIC BREATHWORK PRELIMARIES FOR QIGONG

...This week, we begin again with a look at the new book by journalist James Nestor titled 'Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art.’  I strongly recommend that all Qigong practitioners—beginning through advanced—get this book as essential background.  And while it’s on order, you can listen to this very informative podcast on the NPR program appropriately called, “Fresh Air”, in which  Terry Gross interviews the author:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/27/862963172/how-the-lost-art-of-breathing-can-impact-sleep-and-resilience

Nestor talks about the basic benefits of deep breathing and reviews the basic findings that ancient masters of meditation and yoga from numerous cultures developed at different times at different places.  He explains the complementary/counter-balancing functions of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems: that the sympathetic triggers the flight or fight response that involves the the release of stress hormones, while the parasympathetic nervous system regulates the rest, relaxation or the stress releasing response.

His book articulates all the basic parameters, functionalities, and universal characteristics of ancient Qigong arts as well as the regulated breathing in Tai Chi: 

(1)  that humans can control the autonomic nervous system by simply breathing; that just by breathing in certain special ways one can elicit these different autonomic nervous states and strengthen them.  In Qigong, we do exercises that are inherently designed to induce the sympathetic response through inhalation, while balancing or coordinating the induction of the parasympathetic response through the exhalation. 

**Now consider how you are exercising the autonomic nervous system every time you perform the unique percentage exhalation formula at the start of each Flying Phoenix Qigong Meditation.

(2)  that deep breathing is very healthful:   increasing the duration of one’s inhalation and exhalation has a profound effect on your blood pressure, mental state, emotional state, and will ultimately increase longevity.  [Now think about how you are increasing  steadily increasing the tidal volume in your lungs every time you practice Circling Palms and each and every one of the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Mediations.

(3)  Nestor explains that the diaphragm is considered the “second heart” because it is so essential to proper breathing. And you will recall that throughout our entire practice every Sunday—from  the warm-up exercise known as “The Silkweaver’s Exercise”, to the 50 minutes practicing the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Meditations, to th 50 minutes of Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qi Meditations, we are constantly breathing diaphramatically—expand the lower abdomen on every inhalation and contracting the lower abdomen, letting the stomach wall fall in, with every exhalation.

(4)  Nestor’s book also has a fascinating chapter about his research into how the evolution of the human skull over the past 300-400 years had led to the shrinking of the teeth and jaw and breathing orifices.  He explains why so many chronic breathing problems are tied to the shrinking of the human skull over the past 400 years, and that shrinkage has been due to the ingesting of industrially processed foods that have enabled humans to not have to chew as much or as vigorously as his predecessors just 6 generations ago.

(5)  An interesting finding that is so relevant and fundamental to Qigong:  that just by increasing the length of the inhalation and exhalation can improve health.  More specifically, it has been scientifically proven that by increasing the duration of one’s breath cycle to a minimum of 5.5 seconds for each inhalation and 5.5 seconds for each exhalation, the rest and relaxation response is induced and “parasympathetic tone” is enhanced.

So isn’t it interesting that the vast and complete Tao Tan Pai Qigong System created in the 10th Century A.D. begins with its very first exercise known as  “Circling Palms”, which systematically conditions the practitioner to deepen each exhalation and inhalation to reach a norm during practice of 20 seconds in duration,  surpassing th 5.5 seconds duration recommended Nestor by almost four-fold?

The one relatively minor criticism I have of James Nestor’s book is his title--'Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art.'   I’m of the naturally biased opinion that his title is quite inaccurate—for there is really nothing new under the sun when it comes to “Breath”.  Homo sapiens have been doing it for well over 200,000 years.  And some ancient cultures in more recent millennia discovered and created breathing methods and refined and codified them into therapeutic sciences that promote health and actually heal disease.  There is no new “science of breath”—there is only ancient Qigong that works!  And some of these ancient methods, such as Taoist Elixir Method and Flying Phoenix Qigong are intact and produce tangible health and restorative effects that are repeatable and verifiable with every practice.

Bear in mind that  James Nestor’s podcast and book discuss some interesting things about only one aspect of Qigong:  Qi – or breathing method.  But there are two other essential aspects of Qigong, “Xing”  (the shape/form of the body and posture), and “Yi”  (mental focus and concentration) that need to be synergized with Nestor’s concept of deep breathing or some unique style of deep breathing—before you have a Qigong art that is transformative.

Two issues ago (announcing the May 24th  Livestream), we examined the very specific instructions in I Ching Hexagram #52 “Keeping Still” for practicing meditation and Qigong. Those instructions in the Judgement and Image are about the Shape/Form of the body, or “Xing,” and about the focus of the mind, or “Yi”.  Be sure to review and carefully study these classical instructions governing Shape-Form and Mental Focus provided in Hexagram 52 of the I Ching (Book of Changes).

Carry on, but with inhalations and exhalations greater than 5.5 seconds!!

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 3

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know - if anybody knew - where I could find blue aura individuals. I'm not sure why I want that, but I want that. I've come across some people, in my life. And, when I felt there heart I could swear they had something different about them. It was like a calming influence, like soft, and tranquil. Like the ocean.

And then I looked it up on the internet. And that's what I was looking for, what I felt with them. I've only met two maybe three people like that. It's a bit like jazmin in the movie aladdin. She's a woman. but the two people I met like that were male. I think i've yet to meet a woman like that. Although I'd liked to.

But it was definitely like that.

I don't know. Are they rare? I think I've read, read somewhere that blue auras were not common. That they didn't come along very often. But I'm not sure.

It's a slight Mary energy, in the movie "there's just something about mary." and ive always loved that movie, and i know what he means: there's just something about her.

And, I remember priscilla presley. In the movie naked gun. She's also spectacular.

Same energy. A very spectacular woman that you just want to love.

There's also the actor in the iconic movie "plains, trains and automobiles." With that white guy with the white hair, and his friend. He must be it. Also. A blue aura person - at least that's how I see it. Must be why he plays those roles. Just like ben stiller. There's no level of acting that gets you there looking like that. I have a hunch that this is who he is: a guy chronically good. And turned it into a comedy.

I think what I wanted to know is if someone could relate, and if there was some kind of club I could join to meet these people. Do they hang out in secret clubs?

Tell me your thoughts. And if somebody's like that. Please.

ps: the text above I just copy pasted from a thread i just started. They told me that blue aura individuals might be practitioners of phoenix qigong. So there.

12 minutes ago, dawn90 said:

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know - if anybody knew - where I could find blue aura individuals. I'm not sure why I want that, but I want that. I've come across some people, in my life. And, when I felt there heart I could swear they had something different about them. It was like a calming influence, like soft, and tranquil. Like the ocean.

And then I looked it up on the internet. And that's what I was looking for, what I felt with them. I've only met two maybe three people like that. It's a bit like jazmin in the movie aladdin. She's a woman. but the two people I met like that were male. I think i've yet to meet a woman like that. Although I'd liked to.

But it was definitely like that.

I don't know. Are they rare? I think I've read, read somewhere that blue auras were not common. That they didn't come along very often. But I'm not sure.

It's a slight Mary energy, in the movie "there's just something about mary." and ive always loved that movie, and i know what he means: there's just something about her.

And, I remember priscilla presley. In the movie naked gun. She's also spectacular.

Same energy. A very spectacular woman that you just want to love.

There's also the actor in the iconic movie "plains, trains and automobiles." With that white guy with the white hair, and his friend. He must be it. Also. A blue aura person - at least that's how I see it. Must be why he plays those roles. Just like ben stiller. There's no level of acting that gets you there looking like that. I have a hunch that this is who he is: a guy chronically good. And turned it into a comedy.

I think what I wanted to know is if someone could relate, and if there was some kind of club I could join to meet these people. Do they hang out in secret clubs?

Tell me your thoughts. And if somebody's like that. Please.

ps: the text above I just copy pasted from a thread i just started. They told me that blue aura individuals might be practitioners of phoenix qigong. So there.

We might recommend you check out some videos of Sifu Terry performing the form, or better yet: buy the DVDs and practice the forms yourself to see what happens. Read through this thread and see some of the testimonials of the practitioners here to see why this is the longest and most popular thread on the forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have just come back from Sifu Terry's Wednesday night stream sessions and wanted to share that in combination with reading his weekly newsletters, I highly encourage people to join either the Sunday beginner sessions or Wednesday intermediate ones. 

Besides getting to know your fellow practitioners and learning more advanced meditations, you get more depth and nuance into the system and little tidbits that allow you to grok your cultivation much more.

I would also recommend subscribing to and reading the newsletter before and after a class because in this turbulent era and zeitgeist, our attention is tuned to not just the news, but a media focused on several American issues that are only the tip of the iceberg for the many global issues in China, Southeast Asia, Russia, and South America that are being drowned out by the American issues. As a result of this and the global stress from the pandemic, our attention is diverted away not just from those other non-American issues, but the most important thing: looking within.

The wonderful thing about reading Sifu Terry's weekly newsletter is not just a summary of what's going on in the workshops, but insights into the spiritual wisdom from his scholarly background, ranging from the I-ching by Wilhelm/Baynes and the Tao Te Ching, to other sources such as from Sir Edwin Arnlod's The Light of Asia:

Pray not! the Darkness will not brighten!
          Ask Nought from the Silence, for it cannot speak!
     Vex not your mournful minds with pious pains!

Nought from the helpless gods by gift and hymn,
          Nor bribe with blood, nor feed with fruit and cakes;
     Within yourselves deliverance must be sought;
          Each man his prison makes.

The above quote is one of Sifu Terry's favorite passages from the highly recommended work by Arnold, which can also be read for free from Project Gutenberg here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/8920/8920-h/8920-h.htm

In summary, the above passage means that all our karma is our own to work on, and looking within is crucial to work this out. With the right practice of Flying Phoenix and Tao Tan Pai, we can find ourselves with a more developed inner eye to see within and burn the karmic burdens away. 

If you are interested in more, do sign up for the newsletter and register for the workshops at least once: https://terencedunn.substack.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello to all Flying Phoenix Qigong practitioners:

This is the order of practice that I taught 5 weeks ago on June 21, Father's Day, during my weekly Sunday afternoon Livestream class from Lenox, MA:

In Hour One we practiced the Tao Tan Pai Short Form Power Yoga (Standing Meditations No.1 through No.4, plus Meditation No. 18) plus the following seated meditations:  No. 16, 17, 20, and 21.

I skipped TTP Basic Meditation No. 19 for lack of time  because it takes 28 long breathes, 7 of which are "Push-down" breath retentions with palms flat on the floor.   Just to compare and contrast TTP to FP Qigong, and to show you how different and interesting a Qigong system Tao Tan Pai is, Ex. 19 is the last seated meditation on this summary of TTP-31 excerpts:

(*As explained at various times on this thread, the Basic TTP-31 Meditations is the first level of a vast and sophisticated 6-level Nei Kung system at the core of the Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu system, an authentic Taoist monastic tradition that is 24 generations old and dates back to its origins in the Tang Dynasty.  Relative to the enormous ocean of disparate Qigong exercises of widely varying quality that has come out of China after the Cultural Revolution ended around 1975,  the Basic TTP-31—although “basic” relative to the rest of TaoTan Pai-- is powerful and effective Qigong system for both health and martial arts support.   

From 1975 to 1983, I learned the entire Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung system and most of the Kung Fu system (short of several advanced kung fu forms).  During my first four years of learning the TTP Kung Fu, I practiced the “Short Form Power Yoga” version of the TTP Basic 31 (consisting of 5 of the 31 meditations) every morning for 30 to 60 minutes.

From 1990 top 1996, after I reunited with Grandmaster Doo Wai and formed the class of instructor-level martial artists from various styles from all over California to study his Bok Fu Pai arts, I learned basic Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu, the Flying Phoenix Qigong in its entirely; two levels of Advanced FP Qigong;  the "10,000 Buddhas Ascend To Heaven" Qigong (a vast system of 54 exercises organized in 3 sets of 18 ); and the ultra-rare internal marital art known as 8 Sections of Energy Combined (or Bat Dim Gum).  So, with respect to TTP and FP Qigong, I had the advantage of learning these two complete sets of medical Qigong separated by 8 years.

*Fast forward to 2013:   Seven years ago, while teaching two California-accredited and NCCAOM-accredited courses in Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Meditations and Flying Phoenix  Qigong at Emperor's College of Traditional Oriental Medicine in Santa Monica (perennially  rated the No.2 acupuncture college in America by 66 peer colleges, btw.), I discovered that the TTP-31 Meditations as a system works as a  superb foundational catalyst for the Flying Phoenix Qigong that profoundly  enhances the energizing and sublime restorative effects of the latter—and prolongs FP’s  healing effects even longer than the usual after the FP practice has ceased.  (As many have reported on this thread over the years, the healing and restorative of effects of an FP qigong practice session may not only continue after that session has concluded, but the energizing and restorative effects may set on again afterwards at an unexpected hour.) 

So for every quarter from spring 2013 to September 2017, when I had occasion to teach these 2 arts temporally close to one another, and now once again thus summer as I’m teaching two courses for ECTOM via Livestream from my east coast base in Lenox, MA, I’ve steadily proven to myself and Lenox students who take my Wed. night combined (TTP + FP regimen) that TTP-31 Meditations indeed catalyzes and accelerates the effects of the FP Qigong practice—in all its dimensions! 

Interestingly, the synergy between TTP-31 Meditations and FP Qigong is directional--i.e. it works primarily in one direction--in that TTP-31 catalyzes and accelerates energizing and rejuvenating effects of FP Qigong, and its cultivation of the unique FP healing energy.  But FP Qigong does not intensify or otherwise affect the Qi cultivation of the Tao Tan Pai system.  I’ve had a strong intuitive sense of the catalyzing effect that TTP-31 has on FP Qigong ever since I learned the FP Qigong in 1990-97 from the late GM Doo Wai.  But it wasn’t until I began teaching a 2-hour combination class with the  TTP-31 preceding the FP Qigong, that I was able to get corroboration from students at the Eastover resort in Lenox, MA doing the two arts together for the first time that this catalyzing effect of FP Qigong by the TTP-31 Meditations  is operative and absolutely certain.

This comports with what Grandmaster Doo Wai told me in 1991 when I first showed him what the TTP Five Dragons meditations looked like.  Not only did he recognize them, he told me that they had a certain spiritual root that no one in the Tao Tan Pai tradition other than Share K. Lew knew.  Leaving that secret to my forthcoming book, I will continue by relating that GM Doo Wai told me that:  “you can mix the two energies” (for he was a peer and friend of Share K. Lew and knew the TTP energy well.

Thus, based on this extraordinary and verified yogic synergy (which, btw, was also confirmed by Yoga master/ONENESS Meditation Deeksha Blessor Eric Isen about 2 mos. ago just in our passing conversation), I’ve designed each Sunday online class as 50 minutes of Tao Tan Pai Qigong followed by an hour of Flying Phoenix Qigong practice.  Through this Sunday course, you can learn the entire set of  Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 meditations and then discover for yourself whether this practice will support and enhance the health effects your FP Qigong practice.

However, there are no published teachings in any medium of the TTP-31 Meditations.  This is because the late GM Share Lew had issued an edict or taboo amongst his following throughout all the decades that he taught in America that there should be no films or videos distributed of Tao Tan Pai practice.   As far as I know, today there are no book or video publications teaching any of the Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung or kung fu forms.  (A few years ago, a former junior classmate of mine named Miguel posted on Youtube his very nice demo of the Tao Tan Pai Tiger form.  But that video disappeared, unfortunately.)

Thus to learn the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Meditations, you will have to get instruction from me in person or via Zoom these days, or seek out my former classmates and fellow instructors. There are about ten people (all in the western states) who know the complete Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu and Nei Kung system who can teach the Basic TTP-31 Meditations.  The only classmate that I’m in touch with is Sifu Hugh Morison who is an acupuncturist and teaches TTP in the Crenshaw district of Los Angeles.  I don’t know if he or anybody else is teaching Livestream classes on the Basic TTP-31 Meditations.  I just took a quick glance at the calendar of the Taoist Sanctuary in San Diego to see if it offers classes in the TTP-31.  It only states “Taoist Qigong” and of course counts Tao Tan Pai as one of the arts taught there. 

As both Tao Tan Pai and its 31 Basic Meditations system, and the FP Qigong are both authentic Taoist monastic systems of Qigong,  that defines both of them as esoteric.  And because yours truly is the sole preserver and teacher of the Flying Phoenix Qigong, one will not find a combination class that teaches these two arts together in a deeply synergistic manner like I do in my Sunday Livestream anywhere else on planet earth in this lifetime.

• Hour Two consisted of standing Flying Phoenix Qigong practice in this order: 

(A)  “Bending the Bows” (15 min.),

(B)  "Monk Gazing At Moon" (5 min.),

(C)  "Monk Holding Peach" (5 min.),

(D)  "Wind Above the Clouds" (two times).

•• This was followed by a complete set of 7 repetitions of each of the following two seated “Monk Serves Wine” meditations:   

(A)   The last meditation on Volume 7 of Chi Kung For Health DVD series (with breathing formula 20 40 90 10);

(B)   The first Monk Serves Wine Meditation on Volume 2 (with breathing formula  90 50 40 30 10)

• I strongly recommend that everyone try out the above sequence of FP Qigong meditations, especially these two Monk Serves Wine seated meditations in the order described above in (A) and (B).

My Sunday Combination Qigong course is appropriate for absolute beginners as well as anyone experienced with the FP Qigong from using the DVD series. 

To receive automatic weekly updates to my schedule of classes (increasing from 2 to 3 different ongoing courses per week), please subscribe for free to my new email Newsletter:  terencedunn.substack.com

Each issue of the Newsletter explains in great detail the subject matter of my Wednesday evening Intermediate Qigong and Basic Kung Fu course and gives a recap of each Sunday and Wednesday class content.

I began teaching this intensive 2-hour combination Qigong class in April this year on Sundays from 4pm to 6pm EST.  The results have been profound, as reflected in these two reviews from a couple of months ago:

I’ve studied with Sifu Terry Dunn for 3 1/2 years at Eastover and any place else I could get the chance. The major focus of that study had been Flying Phoenix Qigong and related Bak Fu Pai arts.  I’ve taken a couple of workshops in Tao Tan Pai but never gave it any thought, devotion or practice.  Recently I’ve partaken in Sifu Dunn’s Sunday class “Tao Tan Pai + Flying Phoenix Qigong for Peak Immunity...”  It consists of one hour of Tao Tan Pai followed another hour of Flying Phoenix.  For the last 12 weeks I’ve faithfully practiced TTP daily with profound results.  My lung capacity has greatly increased; my inhalation and exhalation are longer and deeper now (something useful In this time of pandemic).  I’ve noticed, too, that my heart rate has slowed down by 5 beats per minute.

As to the synergistic relationship of these two seemingly unrelated disciplines, I’ll mention a few.  Tao Tan Pai is the perfect warmup for Flying Phoenix Qigong.  It loosens both the body and mind.  It deepens the relaxation response putting one in an altered state much sooner.  This state of relaxation is so deep that by the end of Sunday’s class  I can barely keep my eyes open.  This is especially true of the Monk Serves Wine series of exercises. My personal practice will forevermore start with TTP and end with Flying Phoenix.
                                                               -- Tony Arcuri, Queens, NY

I felt a surge of tangible sensations coursing through my entire body, streams of subtle vibrations and tingling with a particular focus in the chest and head areas. Unlike the typical calming, relaxing, and sometimes sedative effects that I usually experience from FP, this pattern of energy was more invigorating, enlivening, and longer-lasting. I was alert and full of energy with an underlying sense of ease and contentment. Its effects were still mildly present three hours after the session ended, and most surprisingly, after a heavy meal, something I haven't quite experienced before even having attended a dozen intensive workshops. Although we only practiced basic exercises from each system, my experience mimicked ones I"ve had practicing advanced meditations from TTP and FP separately in longer sessions. I can only attribute these effects to the thoughtful, specific, and unique combination of TTP and FP that was offered.    

--Spencer Lawrence, Jersey City, NJ

This thank you note and testimonial to the healing efficacy of  Flying Phoenix Qigong (sans TTP-31) just came in last weekend from one of my workshop students who lives in NYC and spends summers in Stockbridge, MA:

Hi Terry,
I am so happy with the 2 DVDs you gave me last summer when I visited you at Eastover.  I had asthma as a child every time I came up to Stockbridge for the summer and had allergy shots and later outgrew.  Years later I learned that I was not using my abdominal muscles for breathing and as I aged my voice got weaker.  Now thanks to your Chi Kung for Health volume two With which I exercise with almost every day I can breathe so much better and now have a strong voice and my aging friends with hearing loss don't complain they can't hear me. I ordered the two volume two Chi Kung For Health DVDs for a friend who is a chaplain at Weill Cornell and utilizes some yoga breathing with in-patients there and for a friend who teaches karate and tai chi to varying populations.
   I would like to join your class on Sundays now that at the moment I don't have any scheduling conflicts.  
   With much gratitude, Valerie

Enjoy your FP Qigong practice, everyone.

mitakuye oyasin,

(Lakota Sioux prayer that means “To all my relations” or “All are related”, or “Help and Health to all my Brothers and Sisters” --the latter of which was the meaning that I learned in the early 1980's when I was a guest at a series of sweat lodges and annual medicine wheels spanning several years given by a Lakota community in So. California led by Don Perrote)

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 6

I have been away for a long time.  The material needing study and review is a little overwhelming. 

At present I am doing a ZZ standing of 8'46" for BLM every morning now at day 57 in a 108 day gong for peace and racial justice.

My day includes a TJQ class 5 days (usually) per week with the neighbors and my wife.  In the afternoon it has been 110 deg F here and little is done.  I do usually a yi jin jing and /or ba duan jin. 

There has been a hiatus in my practice of the long form FP,  but the last two days I have returned to do one 30' + and then a 35' session.

That pleases me.   I have 10 x the qi flow,  for the form.  Perhaps a little distance improves the exercise? 

This  fall i will be 80 and in good shape for the octogenarian  crowd.   My VO2  is in the range 55-62 which is excellent even for many younger kids,  lol. 

I notice a good discussion about breath work here.   I have been studying Embryonic Breathing.  (It is a small part of my TJQ class now)

I easily move into a 3 - 4 breath / minute meditation in the normal dantien breathing pattern. 

I hope to return on something like a regular visit basis.

If we desire a society of peace, then we cannot achieve such a society through violence.  Bayard Rustin  African-American Friend (Quaker).

• Like 5

let me just add there is no doubt that having done many 108 day gongs of the long form, has contributed   dramatically to my good condition at this age!  Thank you Sifu Terry Dunn.

• Like 2

We do an occasional 108 repetitions of  cloud hands.   I notice sifu mentions the value of this practice.   Having viewed the 1st exercise of TTP circling palms,  I will give it a try as an alternative to cloud hands.   The long form includes a section which repeats 5 times,  i refer to it as 'cradling',  this move develops into a very solid root and spiral flow up the leg; turning the hips/pelvis and continues up the spine in a spiral, leading to the exchange of the cradling palms.   This twisting motion helps to realign and strengthen the spine and the hand exchange is reminiscent of the circling palms.   Interesting these movements have an unsuspected relation to the TTP, opening exercise.

As I mentioned Embryonic Breath work has also been a recent focus of my practice.  The reverse breathing technique has finally begun to feel comfortable and reliable.  During this period my breath has settled into a 3 breath per minute rhythm and my heart rate has fallen into the mid-fifties,  resting.  

Read the tao te ching regularly,  at present I find  the online version at Taoistic.com 'inspiring.'   The commentary is helpful and informative. 

There is no Way to Peace, Peace is the Way.   Thich Nhat Hanh

• Like 2

Hi Charlie,

I started a reply to you sooner but got caught up in a maelstrom of activity including a real maelstrom last week when the Hurricane Isaías crept up the coast and blew 50mph winds across this region, which knocked out power to the town of Lenox for a while but, fortunately, not at  my place of residence.   The Berkshires was luckier than points south of us that got 70 to 80mph winds. 

I’m so glad to hear that you’re doing well and keeping to an excellent practice schedule:  Tai Chi every morning 5x a week, plus Yi Jin Jing or 8 Brocades.

At present I am doing a ZZ standing of 8'46" for BLM every morning now at day 57 in a 108 day gong for peace and racial justice.

• This is fabulous spiritual operation.  More power and blessings to you for doing this.                       (I will send you a tip via PM)

There has been a hiatus in my practice of the long form FP,  but the last two days I have returned to do one 30' + and then a 35' session.   That pleases me.   I have 10 x the qi flow,  for the form.

• Glad to hear that you’ve returned to LF Standing practice of 30 to 35min. + and experiencing 10x the Qi flow.  Wow.  Not everyone experiences that type of Qi elevation.

Perhaps a little distance improves the exercise? 

• That may seem to be the case.  After practicing the Long Form Med. on a very regular basis (including 108 day gongs with ginger) over several years and at slowest speeds as you have in friendly competition with other Daobums, that deeply developed capacity and natural process to cultivate the FP Healing Qi "stays" in your system.  And when you activate that distinct Qigong process again, the  resulting energization and rejuvenation is pronounced and vividly felt.  What you feel as "improvement" of the exercise might be actually the novelty of feeling the FP Healing Qi cultivation again.   But on the other hand, if you've been  practicing another powerful Qigong art or high-level Tai Chi (or Xing-I, Bagua, etc.) that cultivation might also "improve" the dormant FP Qigong.  For, as I've posted to a good extent recently, the Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) Qigong (all levels, starting with the Basic TTP-31 Meditations) will certainly enhance, amplify and prolong the effects of the FP Qigong, whenever one practices the TTP followed by the FP Qigong.  Thus it's only logical that another high-quality internal energy practice can have a catalytic and synergistic effect on practice of the FP Qigong.  But absent another comparable advanced Qigong practice,  only continuous, long term practice of FP Qigong itself will "improve" the exercise per se--in terms of generating noticeably more FP healing Qi with very round of practice and as gauged by a tangible and verifiable increase in the reserve of the FP Healing Qi in one's body.

This  fall i will be 80 and in good shape for the octogenarian  crowd.   My VO2  is in the range 55-62 which is excellent even for many younger kids,  lol.  

• Thanks for sharing your excellent VO2 levels.  And LMK when your birthday draws close.  On that day, I'll practice a round  of the Long Form with you.  In fact, lt's set up a 30 min. Zoom practice open to all FP practitioners-- to celebrate your 80th at some convenient time on that day or day after!

Not too far back on this thread, I posted the spontaneous testimonials of one of my local students and dear friends who just turned 82 last Saturday, Rori.  Here again are her spontaneous comments made one day after her first experience of FP Qigong during a free demo class that I gave during World Tai Chi Qigong class here at Eastover (it now doubt helped that she had/has 25+ yrs of Tai Chi and 40+ years of Tibetan Buddhist meditation practice under her belt):   https://vimeo.com/333813234

And Rori gave another spontaneous testimonial 6 months (24+  classes) late that I was quick and nimble enough to record on the iPhone:   https://vimeo.com/372632471

So, more good things from the Flying Phoenix to look forward to, according to our elders!

I notice a good discussion about breath work here.  

• I got back to thinking more about breathing in general and breathing science across many cultures after listening to an NPR podcast about a new book by journalist James Nestor titled--'Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art.'  

“which I cited and recommended on several issues of my Newsletter starting I think with this one on July 5:

https://terencedunn.substack.com/p/sunday-july-5-independendence-day

(* Click down to “Basic Breathwork Preliminaries for Qigong” to see my summary of highlights of Nestor’s book and podcast.) 

And here (coming shortly) is today's issue of the newsletter providing registration info for my three  Zoom classes this week:  

All Best, Charlie

Keep riding that ox...

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 11:59 PM, ridingtheox said:

We do an occasional 108 repetitions of  cloud hands.   I notice sifu mentions the value of this practice.   Having viewed the 1st exercise of TTP circling palms,  I will give it a try as an alternative to cloud hands.   The long form includes a section which repeats 5 times,  i refer to it as 'cradling',  this move develops into a very solid root and spiral flow up the leg; turning the hips/pelvis and continues up the spine in a spiral, leading to the exchange of the cradling palms.   This twisting motion helps to realign and strengthen the spine and the hand exchange is reminiscent of the circling palms.   Interesting these movements have an unsuspected relation to the TTP, opening exercise.

As I mentioned Embryonic Breath work has also been a recent focus of my practice.  The reverse breathing technique has finally begun to feel comfortable and reliable.  During this period my breath has settled into a 3 breath per minute rhythm and my heart rate has fallen into the mid-fifties,  resting.  

Read the tao te ching regularly,  at present I find  the online version at Taoistic.com 'inspiring.'   The commentary is helpful and informative. 

To RidingtheOx, Part 2:

The long form includes a section which repeats 5 times,  i refer to it as 'cradling',  this move develops into a very solid root and spiral flow up the leg; turning the hips/pelvis and continues up the spine in a spiral, leading to the exchange of the cradling palms.   This twisting motion helps to realign and strengthen the spine and the hand exchange is reminiscent of the circling palms.   Interesting these movements have an unsuspected relation to the TTP, opening exercise.

• "Cradling" is also the exact term that I use when teaching that section of the FP Long Form where the forearm traverses 5 times, leading with the thumb edge of the forearm.  (I also use "cradling" to describe a movement in the first Advanced FP Standing Meditation--the first of 9, which I teach in my Wednesday Intermed. Qigong class 7pm-9pm EST, info on my Newsletter.)  "Cradling 5X is related "Wave Hands Like Clouds" in Tai Chi forms.  What is remotely related to Tao Tan Pai Circling Palms  are those 2 inward circles in a vertical plane immediately following the 5 “cradlings”.   Circling Palms, in contrast, are done on a horizontal plane at shoulders’ height and with eyes open and constantly focused on the fingertips of the sweeping extended arm.  And each sweep is sync’d to a long exhalation.  Each extension of the arm down the normal (left or right) is sync'd to an inhalation.  As we all know, there is NO SYNC’ing of breath cycle to any movement  in FP Qigong.  None whatsoever throughout the entire FP system.  That’s how TTP and FP Qigong are as different as night and day.

• The "backward peddling walk" in the “Silkweaver’s Exrecise” is a very basic preparation for reverse breathing.   (At 3:20)

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154646379024952&external_log_id=6966ab2d7c39619231d5487eca01d6d7&q=terry dunn's tai chi for health

• I’ve always enjoyed the Penguin Classics translation of Tao Te Ching since college days.

*Also, past 3 years I’ve read all translations of  Tao Te Ching cited at this interesting website, Feminine Tao.  A few the contributors are eminent scholars on Tao Te Ching;  most of their citations and translations are quality ones:

http://www.earlywomenmasters.net/tao.html

Sometimes the tender persuasion shows us a little of the universal truths expressed and celebrated by the ancients.

Best always, Charlie

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Hi Equid.,

Your post has to be one of the most unusual ones so far on this thread. Since I have done both Flying Phoenix and Falun Dafa I would be interesting in hearing what you consider the similarities to be between these two types of Qigong as I was not aware of any similarities. I found the sensations of Qi produced from Flying Phoenix to feel noticeably different from all of the other qigong methods I have tried. The last time I tried Falun Gong was this past December when it resulted in a spontaneous and immediate healing of chronic off and on stiffness and pain in my lower back. So that was rather magical. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2020 at 3:26 PM, tao stillness said:

Hi Equid.,

Your post has to be one of the most unusual ones so far on this thread. Since I have done both Flying Phoenix and Falun Dafa I would be interesting in hearing what you consider the similarities to be between these two types of Qigong as I was not aware of any similarities. I found the sensations of Qi produced from Flying Phoenix to feel noticeably different from all of the other qigong methods I have tried. The last time I tried Falun Gong was this past December when it resulted in a spontaneous and immediate healing of chronic off and on stiffness and pain in my lower back. So that was rather magical. 

:)

Edited by Equidivium
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/08/2020 at 10:31 PM, Equidivium said:

know Master Li claims Falun Gong is not of this world, and in some reviews of Flying Phoenix people can't believe it's from this world either

Falun Gong practitioners believe Li Hongzhi reincarnated several times throughout Chinese history and left behind different esoteric practices and traditions, which have been handed down for hundreds or thousands of years until today. In this life Master Li apparently had several teachers, each of whom taught him the stuff he developed in previous lifetimes. Then he combined it into the form which you see now in Falun Gong. I practiced it for over a decade, and while I found it very powerful as a practice, I'm honestly confused about the way it has positioned itself politically in recent years since I stopped.  But really that's a different story, which would derail this thread.

I just wanted to clarify that the origin of the practice is different from FP, which is - if I remember from this thread - purely from divine revelation (Feng Do Duk was apparently passed this tradition wholesale from a goddess).

Incidentally, I find the sky blue qi cultivated from FP very similar to the blessing energy sensations in Medicine Buddha sadhana. That could point to a divine Buddhist origin for FP, or it simply could be both practices tap into a non-aligned trunk of healing energy from the universe.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful explanation by Vajra Fist!

Noteworthy is that Master George Xu learned his version of Falun Dafa from an old master in Shanghai years ago. I was told that by Master Xu's senior student. Master Xu does not call his version Falun Dafa. There are some differences in the two forms but not much at all. I think it would be hard to practice Falun Dafa and not experience a miracle like physical healing. However, comparing the enjoyment level while performing Flying Phoenix to that of Falun Dafa, I found there is a vast difference. I found some of the postures from Falun were almost torturous since you were supposed to hold static postures until you could no longer do so. The idea was that the more you suffer the more you burn your karma. Flying Phoenix is a joy while Falun Dafa is a chore, at least it was for me. But both very high level qigong. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, tao stillness said:

Flying Phoenix is a joy while Falun Dafa is a chore, at least it was for me.

Spot on here. The second exercise (zhan zhuang type exercise for 30mins) and the fifth (full lotus for one hour while holding various mudras) are borderline torturous. Amazing in hindsight I stuck with it so long. But I still had health problems during my years of practice, its not a panacea. 

Conversely, I just practiced the first three monk serves wine meditations from vol2 consecutively - the first time I've practiced FP in about a year - and I've been blissed out all afternoon. Top notch qigong, this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 1:05 PM, Vajra Fist said:

Falun Gong practitioners believe Li Hongzhi reincarnated several times throughout Chinese history and left behind different esoteric practices and traditions, which have been handed down for hundreds or thousands of years until today. In this life Master Li apparently had several teachers, each of whom taught him the stuff he developed in previous lifetimes. Then he combined it into the form which you see now in Falun Gong. I practiced it for over a decade, and while I found it very powerful as a practice, I'm honestly confused about the way it has positioned itself politically in recent years since I stopped.  But really that's a different story, which would derail this thread.

I just wanted to clarify that the origin of the practice is different from FP, which is - if I remember from this thread - purely from divine revelation (Feng Do Duk was apparently passed this tradition wholesale from a goddess).

Incidentally, I find the sky blue qi cultivated from FP very similar to the blessing energy sensations in Medicine Buddha sadhana. That could point to a divine Buddhist origin for FP, or it simply could be both practices tap into a non-aligned trunk of healing energy from the universe.  

:)

Edited by Equidivium
  • Like 2

Hi,

A question for Siffu Terry, but also anyone that might have an answer:

My mind races by default. Some days I cannot be present in my body - I keep doing the meditation but it's like my energy is stuck in my head and not "flowing" as when I'm fully in my body, no matter how hard I try to focus on the body sensation.

Any technique, mantra, visualization to combat this?

Thank you