Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

On 13-02-2021 at 19:17, BluePhoenix133 said:

¿Conservar el fénix volador daría un buen karma? Tal vez estoy loco, pero la sincronicidad me hace pensar que el fénix volador es lo que debería perseguir y sí, la pandemia es realmente irritante. Quería empezar a practicarla con otras personas ... y unirme al gimnasio. Curiosamente, el chico del gimnasio que me mostró los alrededores mencionó lo tranquilo que estaba, casi como si disfrutara de mi presencia, así que tal vez debería llevar este chi al gimnasio.

Creo que ya pregunté esto, pero si enseño este chi gong, ¿debo estar calificado de alguna manera? Si solo lo practico con personas, ¿puedo pedir donaciones? ....:D

How interesting, the same thing has happened to me, many people enjoy my presence and some people have commented to me that my office looks like a kind of heaven.
Possibly the feeling of happiness achieved with the FPQ system generates a special wake.
As Yogi Bhajan once said: "People don't want you or me, they just want the energy you project"

• Like 3

Hello everyone. Recently I have been reading Shantidevas a guide to the bodhisattva's way and one of the verses inspired me to change my motive on practicing FPQ.

"May I be the doctor and the medicine

And may I be the nurse

For all sick beings in the world

Until everyone is healed."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dear all,

We've summarized a "best of" for these past 215 pages with appropriate links

After poring over posts from 215 pages of the Flying Phoenix thread here, we've compiled a basic FAQ and the best posts for wisdom and sample routines given from Sifu Terry. 

We didn't include some posts on tarot and Crowley as we wanted to remain as close to the spirit of Flying Phoenix and Daoist wisdom, but these links will make it more accessible for you and will not require you to log in or register to see them.

We hope you can read up on these if you are reluctant to go through all 215 pages of posts here to get the gems from over the past decade of this thread's conception.

Main Thread

Basic Information

FAQs

Sifu Terry's Wisdom Teachings

Healing Stories

Sifu Terry's Sample Training Sets

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 10/9/2020 at 9:51 AM, Vajra Fist said:

Interesting question. I get the sense that almost all Bok Fu Pai systems have their own herbal formula. I learned the golden mantis system from Sifu Garry a few years ago and it had its own jow formula, which was distinct from that used in the Sunn Yee Gong and Burning Palm systems he also inherited from Doo Wai. 

I'm curious too now whether FP has its own jow.

Hello Vajra Fist,

I'm sorry that you've had to wait almost 5.5 months to get an answer to your question...but I have been most preoccupied since September with an intensely busy teaching schedule (3 weekly accredited courses for a top acupuncture college in L.A. plus 4 weekly classes on my own account, every class 2-hours long...in addition to running 2 primary businesses).  All slowed down by a freezing snowy re

Answer to your and Blue Phoenix's  question:   There are herbal formulas for linaments (jiaos) that are specific to Bok Fu Pai energy arts such as Sunn Yi Gung and Tibetan Burning Palm, which Sifu Hearfield teaches,  a specific jiao with a very distinctive aroma that is used for general Bok Fu Pai kung fu training, as well as well as a very strong Jiao the 8 Sections of Energy Combined kung fu system that is quite expensive because its key ingredient is bear gall bladder.  However, there is NOT a specific herbal formula for a linament that goes with FP Qigong, nor is there any herbal formula to ingest specifically for FP Qigong.  GM Doo Wai gave us a vast Bok Fu Pai pharmacopeia to treat various injuries and even flus and colds.  And there are a number of jiaos that can be used to enhance the effects of FP Qigong practice, but which are not specifically dedicated to FP Qigong. 
We also have herbal formulas that are rolled into pellets using honey as a base and then ingested prior to commencing training in the more advanced Bok Fu Pai meditations.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:07 PM, BluePhoenix133 said:

I get the feeling my previous question wont be answered again, never the less here is another, is there a herbal formula or tea specifically for the flying phoenix practice... i recall there being some for other practices?

My apologies to you, Blue Phoenix and all subscribers to this thread for being away from it this long.  

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

On 9/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, Takingcharge said:

yeah the reason i asked was because i reached out to him a few weeks ago as was adviced, that he might be able to referr me to someone that could help me with an entity issue,

but it looks like he hasnt visited back yet

Hello TakingCharge,

I'm sorry for the long absence from the FPCK thread.  But I am finally back and steadily catching up on all postings. Dunn

If you want to post an question regarding FP Qigong and the entity issue, go head.  Or you can send me an email to my Daobums mailbox.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 7:33 PM, BluePhoenix133 said:

Hello, i just did bending the bows 9 reps took a lil break then 18 reps, still suprises me that it makes me sweat as i am not a very sweaty person usually... also after doing 18 reps my feet get a bit numb and tingly perhaps i am misaligned or something.

What i wanted to ask is something i have already asked before but i dont think i ever got an answer, on DVD 3 the 2nd and last meditation there is a bit where you lean forward and to the right with arms outstretched and as you come back you draws your arms in with palms facing each other.

This is done three times and afterwards you do the same movement except clench your fists instead of palms facing each other however this is only done twice.

Are these meant to be done the same amount of times and if so is it twice or three times?

BluePhoenix,

I movements you describedm are in the last moving meditation on Vol.3 called "Moonbeam Splashes On Water".

After holding the "Willow Leaf" palm with the left hand at the heart while shifted back on the right leg and facing the front right corner, you turn right 45 degrees and press your left palm on the right palm forming an "X"--exactly like the "Press" posture in Yang style Tai Chi.  When you press, you shift forward bringing weight to the right leg and right knee lines up with the vertical up of the toes.
The you shift to the left leg, looking down the right normal and the palms face each other as your shiftihg back pulls them towards the heart.  Then you shift to the right and repeat the press.  This Press (left palm on the right) is done a total of 3 times.  As you press, you keep the back upright;  don't lean.

Then they are followed by two Pushes --where the hands push from the shoulders with the hands at shoulders' width and the forearms parall.  This "Push" is done two times.  Each time you sit back on the left leg before you push, you curl the fingers into light fists with the fingernails facing downward.  As the right knee shifts over the toes, you open the hands to the Push position--just as in Yang style Tai Chi Chuan forms.
In "Moonbeam" on Vol.3 you do 3 Presses followed by 2 Pushes.  That's the classical choreography created in 1644.

In the Vol.4 Long From standing meditation called "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation", one does  two Presses and one rolling Push.

Hope this clarifies.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2020 at 2:59 AM, shunka said:

I just recieved Chigung for Health and TaiChi for health, will be working with them and try to report back.

asavakkhaya - Hopefully Sifu Terry will come by soon.

I cannot answer for him, but I find that in other styles, it is sometimes important to separate the fingers and at

other times cup them together. So  I find that wearing a stocking hat helps keep my hands & feet warm.

But if that doesn't work I got some inexpensive fleece mittens and even tho I cannot see my fingers,

I can splay them or whatever is needed for the form.

walk in beauty

shunka

Hi Shunka,

Thanks for your observation about how in other styles, one separates the fingers at times and closes the fingers while slightly cupping the palms at other times.  The slight spreading of the fingers occurs with a Yang expansive movement;  cupping the palms occurs with Yin movements.

As an example that demonstrates this coordination of the fingers is found in other Chinese internal energy arts:

I will describe this total body coordination involving spreading the fingers that is done in Yang Tai Chi Chuan forms that I practice:  when doing  "Wave Hands Like Clouds" stepping sideways to the left 3 times, after one places the left foot down, one shifts one's weight to it (and "sinks his ribs into the left arch" to relax and plug into the earth) while "holding the ball" on the right side with left forearm on top. Then, while keeping the left arch "sucking" the earth, you crunch your left toes downward as you turn the waist to the left.  As you turn the waist left and float the ball from your right side to your left side, your left palm expands with Qi and the fingers separate.

Walk on!

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 8:53 AM, Astral_butterfly said:

Hi everyone 

I have been very bad at keeping on cultivating but now for the first time I have managed to keep it up for four months and I plan on progressing past exclusive practice of Monk Holds Pearl.

What baffles me is that it is true that just one meditation has wonderful benefits. What is even more baffling is that today I noticed I have new baby hairs growing out in areas where my hair is normally white. The baby hairs are dark. I notice that I have more such hairs growing on my scalp. So my hair is not only thickening, it is growing out dark. I didn't except this so soon. 

Just putting it here for those of you who might need the inspiration.

Hi Astral Butterfly,

Thanks for sharing your experience with your revitalized  hair and increased new hair growth.  This is a commonly reported side effect and wonderful benefit of FP Qigong practice.  Just as frequently reported is smoother skin and the accelerated growth of toe nails and fingernails, with the increase in the speed of toenail growth greater than the  increase in the speed of fingernail growth.

I started experiencing the disappearance of gray hairs and the growth of new, firm strands of jet black hair in my late 50's each time I practiced FP Qigong for more than an hour.  And as I described in the early years of this thread, every time I practiced 2 seated Monk Serves Wine meditations back to back in the same practice, I would feal my hair follicles recharge in mass  and also fee; tje entire surface of the scalp become sublimely charged in a way that felt electro-chemical.

Thanks again for posting this very real and pleasant side-effect of correctly practicing FP Qigong.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zen-bear said:

My apologies to you, Blue Phoenix and all subscribers to this thread for being away from it this long.  

Please no need to apologise, I think I speak for everyone here in being immensely grateful all the time you've put in to answering questions on this thread over the years. That said, great to have you back!

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 2:43 AM, centertime said:

Well they do not seem to have the same effect in my experience.

MOnk Serving Wine - seems to generate purple energy

The rest seems to generate neon blue energy.

The position of hands seems to affect the area nearby the hands.

Monk Looking at Moon... - head,eyes....neck...

It is possible that in the long run, they will flow...

When hands touch, in those positions, there is a loop made from hands that seems to have an extra stabilising effect.

Hello Centertime,

I'm so sorry to have been away from the thread for so long a time.

But I'm very glad to hear that you've experienced and are seeing the neon blue Flying Phoenix Healing Qi. That is a clear sign of the FP Qigong having its fine transformative effect on your health and conciousness.

Great that you are also seeing purple energy while  doing the Monk Serving wine seated meditation(s).  Purple is a common experience because with the concentration of Qi circulating through  the upper body in the seated meds.--through what in TCM would be called the microcosmic orbit--activates the higher chakras such as the throat, brow, and crown chakras.  The color of the petals spinning at the crown chakra is, of course, purple.

The other more advanced seated meditation sets int eh Bok Fu Pai tradition--e.g., Feng Dao Teh's 10 San Gung Meditations and The Golden Flying Phoenix Meditations--also bring on the purple energy and does so more deeply.

The position of hands seems to affect the area nearby the hands.

Monk Looking at Moon... - head,eyes....neck...

It is possible that in the long run, they will flow...

Yes, normally pretty soon after doing the FP standing meds. for a few weeks--and sometimes for just a few days of regular practice--one experiences this kind of energy "unification":   anytime the practitioner moves the arms and hands through different heights during an FP meditation--from below the hips to the above the head-- he/she will feel the energy in the body mass and in the head at the same level of the hands being moved or intensified.  Yes, that is why Monk Holding the Peach (90 50 40 20 10) is done with the tips of the thumb and first 3 fingers of one hand are touching those of the other hand on the centerline of the body.   

When hands touch, in those positions, there is a loop made from hands that seems to have an extra stabilising effect.

In more advanced levels of  FP and Bok Fu Pai seated meditations, the hands are held touch each other while holding identical mudras.  And there are highly refined upper body  postures where each hand is holding a different mudra--e.g., in Red Lotus Flying Phoenix seated Meds., there is a posture where on hand is vertical in the "Willow Leaf Palm" position, while the other is underneath it holding what the Indians call the "Gyana" mudra. 

Thanks for sharing your observations during practice.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/28/2020 at 12:04 AM, ChiGungPractitioner73 said:

I practiced Monk Gazing at the Moon for 12 mins (after dark) while actually gazing at the moon for the first time: Wow! Felt like the posture was supercharged, went home and did 18 reps of BTB (21 minutes, so faster than recommended), Monk Holding the Peach and Wind Above the Clouds. I felt an emptiness in my Hui-Yin area afterwards, which is a feeling I've only gotten from doing the BFSYG Level 1 Long Form before. My hips also moved frictionlessly from side to side, which I've only experienced once before, after one of Sifu Terry's Tai Chi Chuan classes where we did 1 hour and 45 mins of warm-ups before we got into the form, making it feel very smooth and natural.

If you haven't tried actually looking at a nearly full moon while doing MGAM, do it! It'll empower the whole rest of your practice session.

Hi CGP73,

Thanks for your post and suggesting that others practice--as I have often suggested--Monk Gazing At the Moon while actually gazing at the moon.  that is not a contemporary or variant practice.  But rather that is a classical, orthodox practice of this exercise and of this Bok Fu Pai tradition.  I have posted in earlier years and want to re-emphasize here that FP Qigong and other Bok Fu Pai meditation systems do NOT utilize or operate according to the cosmology or energy roadmaps of Trad. Chinese Medicine.  We only consider the position of the sun or the moon./  No visualization and no mental imaging of anything is necessary for attaining optimum health and spiritual benefits.

Continue to enjoy your practice!

Sifu Terry

• Like 3

BluePhoenix,

I movements you describedm are in the last moving meditation on Vol.3 called "Moonbeam Splashes On Water".

After holding the "Willow Leaf" palm with the left hand at the heart while shifted back on the right leg and facing the front right corner, you turn right 45 degrees and press your left palm on the right palm forming an "X"--exactly like the "Press" posture in Yang style Tai Chi.  When you press, you shift forward bringing weight to the right leg and right knee lines up with the vertical up of the toes.
The you shift to the left leg, looking down the right normal and the palms face each other as your shiftihg back pulls them towards the heart.  Then you shift to the right and repeat the press.  This Press (left palm on the right) is done a total of 3 times.  As you press, you keep the back upright;  don't lean.

Then they are followed by two Pushes --where the hands push from the shoulders with the hands at shoulders' width and the forearms parall.  This "Push" is done two times.  Each time you sit back on the left leg before you push, you curl the fingers into light fists with the fingernails facing downward.  As the right knee shifts over the toes, you open the hands to the Push position--just as in Yang style Tai Chi Chuan forms.
In "Moonbeam" on Vol.3 you do 3 Presses followed by 2 Pushes.  That's the classical choreography created in 1644.

In the Vol.4 Long From standing meditation called "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation", one does  two Presses and one rolling Push.

Hope this clarifies.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi Terry, i was still slightly confused because the presses are going to be a different number to the palms facing each other so i watched the DVD again in the break down i think you do 3 presses and 2 palms facing each other but when you do the whole thing after the breath percentage you do 4 presses and 3 palms facing each other followed of course by 2 pushes and 2 flat palm to clenched fists.

Also i think when you explained the presses you meant left palm on right wrist instead of left palm on right palm. Anyway i hope i am not being too pedantic, i really do love this meditation and i wonder why its called moonbeam splashes on water... got to call it something i guess.

• Like 2

I have been doing the second and third meditation on DVD 7 consecutively allot recently... its seems to have loosened me up and made more flexible as well as giving me other health benefits.

Edited by BluePhoenix133
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 3:37 AM, BluePhoenix133 said:

I have been doing the second and third meditation on DVD 7 consecutively allot recently... its seems to have loosened me up and made more flexible as well as giving me other health benefits.

Hello BP,

But make sure you continue top practice the standing meditations, especially the longer moving meditations, Moonbeam Splashes On Water" and the Long Form standing Meditation (Vol.4).  As I've stated many times in this thread, altough the seated "Monk Serves Wine" meditations seem more affective--i.e., one feels more tangible energization in the torso, hands and especially the head, the standing FP Meditations are MORE POWERFUL.  GM Doo Wai always reminded us of this fact.  So as you continue to explore the lovely seated MSW meditations, empower them further by doing the more advanced standing moving meditations.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

Ok, i take it you mean do the standing meditations after the seated ones? I often do DVD 3 before the seated.

Also something i noticed caffeine seems to worsen the chi for me.

One more question the last meditation on DVD 7 after each rep do you put your hand on your knees or do you have them palms facing the sky as when your doing the breath control sequence, it just seems more natural then putting them on your knees.

I do plan on learning the long form at some point soon.

Hello everybody.

Yesterday I received the Sang Gong DVD from GM Doo Wai, I practiced the first form for 18 times and I felt that it is a very brother system of the FPQ, I felt that I was cultivating the special chi of the system and my daily meditation deepened.

I would love for Master Terry Dunn to make a DVD of that subsystem.

Greetings.

Whenever I dip my foot into Flying Phoenix, I always get hugely interested in phoenixes.

I sometimes paint pictures of them, or seek out stories of phoenixes either in popular culture or in different myths.

Is there a link between FP qigong and the phoenix as an actual entity? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Whenever I dip my foot into Flying Phoenix, I always get hugely interested in phoenixes.

I sometimes paint pictures of them, or seek out stories of phoenixes either in popular culture or in different myths.

Is there a link between FP qigong and the phoenix as an actual entity? 

Yes, according to some stories posted earlier in the thread by Sifu Terry. It is also why he recommends people go through the Don Juan series by Castaneda, as the symbolism of the bird is also prevalent towards the end.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 9:48 AM, Eduardo said:

Hello everybody.

Yesterday I received the Sang Gong DVD from GM Doo Wai, I practiced the first form for 18 times and I felt that it is a very brother system of the FPQ, I felt that I was cultivating the special chi of the system and my daily meditation deepened.

Greetings.

Those forms are taught during his streaming sessions at his discretion and require some foundation before practice.

One of those he taught me before for example should not be done daily without a firm background in kung fu forms of Tao Tan Pai: he mentioned that I may do it once or twice a week and only after finishing the long form from DVD V.4 due to the energetic foundation needed to fully and properly use the form. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Yes, according to some stories posted earlier in the thread by Sifu Terry. It is also why he recommends people go through the Don Juan series by Castaneda, as the symbolism of the bird is also prevalent towards the end.

Thanks for the recommendation, that's been on my reading list for a while. 

But I didn't mean in a symbolic sense. But in the sense of an actual, existing heavenly entity in the form of a phoenix.

Edited by Vajra Fist

5 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Thanks for the recommendation, that's been on my reading list for a while. 

But I didn't mean in a symbolic sense. But in the sense of an actual, existing heavenly entity in the form of a phoenix.

The book is symbolic and related to the matter, it was not meant to talk about the Phoenix as a mere symbol. 

Perhaps my response was not clear that it also was mentioned in this thread, but hopefully this is much clearer for you and others to understand.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:25 AM, Earl Grey said:

Those forms are taught during his streaming sessions at his discretion and require some foundation before practice.

One of those he taught me before for example should not be done daily without a firm background in kung fu forms of Tao Tan Pai: he mentioned that I may do it once or twice a week and only after finishing the long form from DVD V.4 due to the energetic foundation needed to fully and properly use the form. 

How come a BFP meditation group (San Gong)should not be done before practicing gong fu forms from another system?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, taiji_cat said:

How come a BFP meditation group (San Gong)should not be done before practicing gong fu forms from another system?

San Gong meditations have both healing and martial energy. The energy is quite strong, and without a kung fu background, are intense. 

Sifu Terry teaches the Tao Tan Pai system because it has been documented as having good synergy, going quite well with GMDW arts. 

Otherwise, he would assess your background in another existing kung fu practice to see if you can handle it, at least as I have seen with one of the meditations he has taught me. 

His own words: "Do not do the San Gong meditation I taught you more than once or twice a week and only after having done FP long form first. But when you learn a couple TTP kung fu forms, no problem."

He does teach the San Gong meditations in his streams, which I have joined quite a few times, but only after doing some Flying Phoenix beforehand. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 9:48 PM, Eduardo said:

Hello everybody.

Greetings.

Hello Eduardo,

It's good that you exposed yourself to the 10 San Gong Meditations of Feng Do Duk that features GM Doo Wai demonstrating them.  Know that the 10 San Gung Meds are an advanced practiced and are much more easier learned and memorized and also have greater effect once you have learned the more basic sister arts like FP Qigong or Sunn Yi Gung that Sifu Garry Hearfield teaches.  Also, FP Qigong has 24 seated "Monk Serves Wine Meditations" that are all powerful and profound and of which more thjan 1/2 have beautiful complex choreography.  I have only published 8 of the 24 MSW meditations on my CKFH DVD series.  Serious students have to study with me in person to learn the rest of the sytem and to have their "Moonbeam" meditation and their capstone "Long Form Standing Meditation" (taught on Vol.4) corrected.  Or in some rare cases, I will teach an intermediate or advanced student via Skype or Zoom.  All that is to say that once one learn the entire FP System, the 10 San Gung Meditations are much easier to learn and memorize.

But if you have the drive and discipline to practice each one 18X per set on a regular basis as GM Doo Wai prescribes on the video, then you can effectively learn the 10 SG Meditations that way and derive great benefits.  As long as you do sets of 18 reps, you cannot go wrong.  But anyway you look at it, the effects of the 10 SG Meds are much more powerful, profound, and transformative  once you have FP Qigong or/and Sunn Yi Gung under your belt.

And yes, I am thinking of doing a video teaching the 10 SG Meditations.  Over the past year, I've reviewing and refining my practice of SG Meds. 1 through 9.  I'm now just starting to review and wipe the cob webs off of the  tenth one, the Eight Goddesses Heavenly Form, which is the doozey.  What I know as one of most complex meditations i have eve seen in my career in Chinese martial and yogic arts.  [The only thing that rivals it are a few of the Golden Flying Phoenix meditations, which I know with pretty good certainty that NO ONE is ready for it at this time....because practicing Golden Flying Phoenix is still a breath-taking, mind-bending stretch for me!]  To be honest, I have to practice the Heavenly Goddess Form for about 6 more months before I feel it will be ready for public demonstration.  Because it's been so long--25 years since learned it in 1996 from GMDW, and i've developed so much in the Bok Fu Pai arts, in Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung, and in Cheng Man-Ching's Tai Chi, my practice of 8 Goddesses Heavenly Form now barely resembles how I practiced it when I first learned it.  Back then, my practice looked "wooden"--and  nothing like GM Doo Wai's demo.  Now it looks fluid and  substantially similar to GM Doo Wai's level of nuanced GUNG.

Enjoy your practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

terencedunn.substack.com  (for info on my weekly 2-hour Zoom classes)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3