Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

1 hour ago, BluePhoenix133 said:

I was thinking of getting a Kuan Yin statue but non of the ones i have looked at are close enough to what i saw in my minds eye, i do however like this one and am considering buying it.... now if only i knew where to put it.

kuan yin statue.jpg

Please create a separate thread about purchasing a Kuan Yin statue so people can focus on Flying Phoenix. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:24 PM, a5a5a9 said:

Is there a downloadable version of the FP DVD?  I do not live in the U.S .

Here is a demo video in which I perform "Moonbeam Splashes On Water"--at proper speed.  Moonbeam is the 2nd longest and 2nd most advanced moving meditation in the FP Qigong system.  I advise all FP practitioners to redouble their efforts to learn and practice this Meditaiton-- because I know that it's not being practiced enough out there--because I don't get very many questions asked about this particular meditation!

This video from 2017 shows my leading a class in the "Moonbeam" meditation during one of my workshops in Lenox, MA--and at pretty much the same speed that's optimal for rejuvenation and restoration:

Advice to all:   "Get busy with "Moonbeam Splashes on Water!"

Sifu Terry Dunn

http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
correct the first video link
  • Like 4

On 4/5/2023 at 5:54 PM, BluePhoenix133 said:

I was thinking of getting a Kuan Yin statue but non of the ones i have looked at are close enough to what i saw in my minds eye, i do however like this one and am considering buying it.... now if only i knew where to put it.

kuan yin statue.jpg

BluePhoenix133:

This advice is based on my assumption that you saw Kuan Yin during your FP Qigong meditation:   Besides shopping for a nice statuette that resembles Kuan Yin as you saw her during your FP meditation, you might consider drawing a likeness / illustration of what you saw.  That would re-activate the mental and psychic image you have of Kuan Yin...and perhaps strengthen your spiritual channel with her.  Then, after illustrating the likeness, you can even have a sculpture made based on it--although that might be quite expensive to commission if you don't make the sculpture yourself.     

(I myself have scores of illustrations of the visions I've experienced in meditative states of consciousness ("MSC"-- as defined and used by Daniel Goleman is his ground-breaking translation of the Visuddhimagga [Buddha's original teachings on meditation] that first came out in 1979 in articles in Journal of Transpersonal Psychology titled "The Buddha on Meditation and States of Consciousness, Parts I and II."    Btw, I strongly recommend that all FP practitioners read Goleman's articles that are now also in book form.  See my next posting.)

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5

As I mentioned in my comment to BluePhoenix above regarding vision of Kuan Yin --and I believe i had posted once before in this thread:  I STRONGLY recommend that all FP Qigong practitioners read these free online articles written by Daniel Goleman around 1979 that translates and explains the Visuddhimagga and in doing so provides a complete and semantically correct language with which to describe and understand your meditative states of consciousness facilitated by FP Qigong or any meditative practice.  

PART I, THE TEACHINGS:    https://www.proquest.com/openview/ded681544ec561a09e24da20df67db44/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=1816469

PART II, A TYPOLOGY OF METHODS:    https://www.atpweb.org/jtparchive/trps-04-72-02-151.pdf

Otherwise, you can  his 1996 book, "The Meditative Mind: The Varieties of Meditative Experience", , which contains the same info.

https://www.amazon.com/Meditative-Mind-Varieties-Experience/dp/0874778336/ref=sr_1_7?crid=JIKSIQNGQ9YI&keywords=Daniel+goleman+t&qid=1680853831&sprefix=daniel+goleman+t%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-7

Enjoy and become more articulate about your experiences in MSC.

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

• Like 4

Made a bit of a break through with my FPCK recently.

Yesterday I sat in Monk Holding the Pearl for 30 minutes, but I didn't do the breath sequence until 15 minutes into the meditation.

By doing this I really got to feel the effect the breathing pattern had on the chi.

I was in a relaxed state anyway, and it did take a minute or two for the chi to change its nature after the percentage breaths, but when it did, I was clearly able to feel the change.

Put simply, the chi simply becomes more relaxed and pleasant.

It is only a small insight, but it has strangely given me quite an increase in my understanding of the Flying Phoenix.

So do as Sifu Terry always say, keep practicing!!!

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/04/2023 at 8:56 AM, zen-bear said:

As I mentioned in my comment to BluePhoenix above regarding vision of Kuan Yin --and I believe i had posted once before in this thread:  I STRONGLY recommend that all FP Qigong practitioners read these free online articles written by Daniel Goleman around 1979 that translates and explains the Visuddhimagga and in doing so provides a complete and semantically correct language with which to describe and understand your meditative states of consciousness facilitated by FP Qigong or any meditative practice.  

PART I, THE TEACHINGS:    https://www.proquest.com/openview/ded681544ec561a09e24da20df67db44/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=1816469

PART II, A TYPOLOGY OF METHODS:    https://www.atpweb.org/jtparchive/trps-04-72-02-151.pdf

Otherwise, you can  his 1996 book, "The Meditative Mind: The Varieties of Meditative Experience", , which contains the same info.

https://www.amazon.com/Meditative-Mind-Varieties-Experience/dp/0874778336/ref=sr_1_7?crid=JIKSIQNGQ9YI&keywords=Daniel+goleman+t&qid=1680853831&sprefix=daniel+goleman+t%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-7

Enjoy and become more articulate about your experiences in MSC.

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

Terry I have sent you a personal message with some Bak Fu Pai material to review if you find the time. I am unsure of the origin of a couple of brief meditations and would like to know if they are in any way related to Flying Phoenix or compatible with the Flying Phoenix routine. Thanks.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:03 AM, Jamie552 said:

Terry I have sent you a personal message with some Bak Fu Pai material to review if you find the time. I am unsure of the origin of a couple of brief meditations and would like to know if they are in any way related to Flying Phoenix or compatible with the Flying Phoenix routine. Thanks.

Hi Jamie552,

I saw the email with the videos today.  I will get to them and let you know if they are related to Flying Phoenix Qigong.  If you know the breathe control formulas for each of the meditations in question, they may help me identify the meditations because within each Bok Fu Pai energy are, the breath-control formulas a have a certain distinguishing structure.

You will hear from me in the next 48 hrs.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry,

Hope you are well. Just wanted to report that I had quite an amazing MHPearl supine experience just now. I couldn’t get to sleep so started doing it and eventually could feel something like a ball rolling around the middle of my back. After a while I started having the brain-washing effect, like my head was a jacuzzi on full blast with lots of bubbling. It was a very nice feeling and ended with some bliss travelling down my body, it lasted for quite a few minutes. 

It was the first time I’ve experienced the brain washing for that long, and it’s been a while since it’s happened. Maybe the corrections for Long Form you gave me from our lesson helped the energy flow better. The bliss is lasting for a few hours after that session, let’s see how future training goes!
  • Like 3

Good night everyone!

Does FPCK heals traumas, phobias? Emotional imbalances in general?

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, almaxy said:

Good night everyone!

Does FPCK heals traumas, phobias? Emotional imbalances in general?

Thanks in advance!

I believe it probably can. But things like this can take time, and it's also sometimes worth using other methods to help you as well if possible, i.e. don't just rely on FPCK to solve all your aliments, instead use it as an aid to help heal you.

• Thanks 1

Hello :)

I was wondering if its ok to combine the FPCK with the daoist system of da xuan by serge augier im learning at the moment or better to just go with one of them ?

Im first and foremost trying to heal body mind and soul.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Jannski said:

Hello :)

I was wondering if its ok to combine the FPCK with the daoist system of da xuan by serge augier im learning at the moment or better to just go with one of them ?

Im first and foremost trying to heal body mind and soul.

Thank you

There used to be a time when Terry would recommend that when you are learning FPCK, if it is your first type of qi gong or internal martial art, it’s best just to focus on it alone for the first couple of years while your energy body becomes used to the new energy flows that FPCK induces.

However, if you were already a Tai Chi practitioner, then as long as your FPCK session is at a different time of day to your Tai Chi practice, then you can do both, ie practice Tai Chi while learning FPCK.

This approach has changed a little bit where he now says it is fine to learn both FPCK and another internal art at the same time, as long as the sessions are separated by a little bit of time in the same day.

I just do FPCK, but I do add joint loosening, back stretching, tendon stretching and kua opening to my practice.

However, I know that other FPCK practitioners have combined learning FPCK with other various energy and internal martial arts with out any problem, so in short, it should be okay.

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Miffymog said:

There used to be a time when Terry would recommend that when you are learning FPCK, if it is your first type of qi gong or internal martial art, it’s best just to focus on it alone for the first couple of years while your energy body becomes used to the new energy flows that FPCK induces.

However, if you were already a Tai Chi practitioner, then as long as your FPCK session is at a different time of day to your Tai Chi practice, then you can do both, ie practice Tai Chi while learning FPCK.

This approach has changed a little bit where he now says it is fine to learn both FPCK and another internal art at the same time, as long as the sessions are separated by a little bit of time in the same day.

I just do FPCK, but I do add joint loosening, back stretching, tendon stretching and kua opening to my practice.

However, I know that other FPCK practitioners have combined learning FPCK with other various energy and internal martial arts with out any problem, so in short, it should be okay.

Thank you very much for that reply :) 

And just to add on a little extra question: Would that also apply to a different system like Hatha Yoga ? I did a routine for the last couple of months consisting of asanas and pranayama and i really like to at least incorporate the sun salutation and some firebreath (pranayama) to cleanse the energy channels. Still im kinda new to the inner arts so i thought i better ask. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jannski said:

Thank you very much for that reply :) 

And just to add on a little extra question: Would that also apply to a different system like Hatha Yoga ? I did a routine for the last couple of months consisting of asanas and pranayama and i really like to at least incorporate the sun salutation and some firebreath (pranayama) to cleanse the energy channels. Still im kinda new to the inner arts so i thought i better ask. 

Short answer:

This one is above my pay grade I’m afraid. Combining stretches from such a different tradition is one thing, but combining energy work is something quite different.

FPCK is a daoist tradtion, as is Serge Augier’s Da Xuan, but Hatha Yoga is not...

The problem is these practices have effects on the body that are beyond our ability to perceive, so how one interacts with another is very difficult to predict.

However, FPCK’s primary aim is to generate healing, calming and balancing qi.

And, although this is not something I can actually recommend doing, when I have mixed two systems together and they haven’t complimented each other, I do tend to find out about it pretty quickly. For example, negative side effects have included having too much energy in the head and difficulty sleeping.

But if you do both, at different times in the day, and end up feeling more balanced, calm and grounded, then you may be okay….

• Like 4

On 2023. 05. 04. at 2:28 PM, Miffymog said:

Short answer:

This one is above my pay grade I’m afraid. Combining stretches from such a different tradition is one thing, but combining energy work is something quite different.

FPCK is a daoist tradtion, as is Serge Augier’s Da Xuan, but Hatha Yoga is not...

The problem is these practices have effects on the body that are beyond our ability to perceive, so how one interacts with another is very difficult to predict.

However, FPCK’s primary aim is to generate healing, calming and balancing qi.

And, although this is not something I can actually recommend doing, when I have mixed two systems together and they haven’t complimented each other, I do tend to find out about it pretty quickly. For example, negative side effects have included having too much energy in the head and difficulty sleeping.

But if you do both, at different times in the day, and end up feeling more balanced, calm and grounded, then you may be okay….

Can you explain what grounded means? I am familiar with the word and many usages, I just would like to know what is grounding for you. What is it? What is its significance?

Edited by centertime
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, centertime said:

Can you explain what grounded means? I am familiar with the word and many usages, I just would like to know what is grounding for you. What is it? What is its significance?

This just means in its most common usage, one a normal person on the street would understand it as.

Can someone start with only level one? 

I heard it's best to start with levels one and two together, any toughts?

2 hours ago, almaxy said:

Can someone start with only level one? 

I heard it's best to start with levels one and two together, any toughts?

Definitely go for the first two together if you can afford it 

Level 1 / DVD 1 just consists of standing meditations, and level 2 / DVD 2 just consists of sitting meditations.

A really good thing about FPCK is that it combines both, and works better with both. So if you can stretch to the cost of them together then I highly recommend it, and you can then just stick with those for ages before you think about purchasing any of the other DVD's.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Miffymog said:

Definitely go for the first two together if you can afford it 

Level 1 / DVD 1 just consists of standing meditations, and level 2 / DVD 2 just consists of sitting meditations.

A really good thing about FPCK is that it combines both, and works better with both. So if you can stretch to the cost of them together then I highly recommend it, and you can then just stick with those for ages before you think about purchasing any of the other DVD's.

Yea I will wait until I can afford both

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pak_Satrio said:

What you can do get the first DVD then finish every session with seated stillness meditation. At least that will help prepare your legs for the seated practices the second DVD afterwards.

That's a good idea, thank you!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 8:38 AM, Pak_Satrio said:

Hi Sifu Terry,

Hope you are well. Just wanted to report that I had quite an amazing MHPearl supine experience just now. I couldn’t get to sleep so started doing it and eventually could feel something like a ball rolling around the middle of my back. After a while I started having the brain-washing effect, like my head was a jacuzzi on full blast with lots of bubbling. It was a very nice feeling and ended with some bliss travelling down my body, it lasted for quite a few minutes. 

It was the first time I’ve experienced the brain washing for that long, and it’s been a while since it’s happened. Maybe the corrections for Long Form you gave me from our lesson helped the energy flow better. The bliss is lasting for a few hours after that session, let’s see how future training goes!

Hi Pak_Satrio,

I'm sorry top take so long to reply to your report of this FP mediative experience:  But I was traveling a lot during the last half of April.

Excellent that you experienced the sublime and blissful jacuzzi "washing" of the brain matter!!   "Washing", btw,  is the term that GM Doo Wai used when he first taught the Monk Serves Wine seated series to me.  I think I even have that comment on video.  The energetic "washing" sensation throughout the brain matter is an initial activation of the brain.  As you practice more, down the road, you will experience the pleasant charging up and activation of specific brain centers.  Just to let you know what's ahead.  When you get to feeling that, that will probably cause you to research and study some neurology and brain anatomy.

Interesting that it started with a rolling ball sensation up your back.  I did so many years of training with GM Doo Wai in standing and seated position that when I do meds. like Monk Holding Pearl in supine position, I just go to sleep...because all our tensions and blocks were worked out by the Bok Fu Pai kung fu forms and in the upright FP postures.

Maybe the corrections for Long Form you gave me from our lesson helped the energy flow better. 
• Yes, that very well may be the case because this brain activation game right after we corrected your Long Form.  Because you've been doing the Long Form with the breath control formula each time, the FP Healing Qi cultivation is still ignited each time you practice it.  But FP Healng Qi isn't circulating efficiently due to form flaws (like leaning too much in certain postures, shoulders too tense, not deeply rooting into the back leg of the cat stance, not having the arms/hands in correct position, etc.).  But once a practitioner corrects such form flaws and removes ALL friction from one's movements--i.e., am able to move with total relaxation as in advanced Tai Chi--and NOT FEEL THE BODY WHILE MOVING (as per the FP Interpretation of HEXAGRAM #52 of the  I CHING), the FP Healing Qi will manifest further in unmistakable and tangible ways.  Sometimes very intense and yet still sublime.

The bliss is lasting for a few hours after that session, let’s see how future training goes!

• Not only does the restorative effect of FP practice continue for hours after has stopped a practice session, but as reported by many on the older and longer FPCK discussion thread on www.thedaobums.com, the FP Healing Qi will suddenly set again several hours after the tangible restorative effects have subsided.
• Continuous practice of the Long Form 2x a day will only continue to open your energy channels while steadily cultivating a reserve of the FP Healing Qi. When you feel the tangible "reserve" of that FP Healing Qi in your body, and can call it up, then that's another major milestone in your FP cultivation.

Congrats on this excellent and very typical benchmark yogic achievement--the blissful "washing" sensation throughout the brain matter.

Best,
Sifu Terry
terencedunn.substack.com
Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

For all FP Practitioners and Daobums:

I am providing this newly filmed comprehensive general reference showing what 12 of the 24 seated Flying Phoenix meditations (that are collectively called "Monk Serves Wine") looks like.  26 of this video's 32 minutes shows me demonstrating one round of each of the 3 MSW meditations on Vol.2, the 5 more advanced MSW meditations on Vol.7, four unpublished MSW meditations, plus one of the very advanced San Gung Meditations of Feng Do Duk.  Of course, orthodox practice is doing 7 rounds of each MSW Meditation's choreography.  And each of the 10 Fen Do Duk San Gung meditations is done 18 times.  Thus you know by the sheer size of the FP Qigong and the "FDD's Ten San Gung Exercises" codices--along with Sunn Yi Gung and all the BFP internal arts that my sihing Sifu Garry Hearfield preserves-- that all the Bok Fu Pai internal arts could only have been created in a monastic setting like the Ehrmeishan Taoist Temple.   I demonstrate all of these seated meditations without presenting each one's breath control formula.

Other highlights:

• You are not alone in your FP practice:   from (26:00) to the end of the video, you will see Monk Holding Peach, Bending the Bows, and one special advanced standing meditation (non-FP) being practiced during some of my FP workshops in Lenox, MA within the past 4 years.  

• For inspiration and encouragement: at (20:12) on the time code, one of my top FP Qigong students Spencer Lawrence gives an excellent demonstration of one of my favorite MSW meditations (the 3rd one  on Volume 7 (70 50 20 10))--during the first session in which he learned it.  Impressive.

• Special treat:  At  (30:00) on the time code, is a clip showing my workshop students practicing one of the 54 advanced  meditations in the system called, "10,000 Buddhas Ascend To Heaven" ("Wan Fuo Shang Tian"P), which cultivates both 3 different types of martial art energy.  10K Buddhas, named after the tallest peak in the Ehrmeishan range,  is a truly esoteric art that Grandmaster Doo Wai used to freak us out when he first showed the system to only me and two of my classmates, Tino Baguio and the late Jeffrey Roth.

Note:  I shot this video on April 17.  So audiences will see how my form has evolved since  I produced and released the DVD series 19 years ago.

Enjoy...and please share this video and use it as a reference to educate others as to what FP Qigong looks like and how vast, deep, substantial and sophisticated the Flying Phoenix Qigong and its Monk Serves Wine sub-system are. 

Sifu Terry Dunn

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2