GrandTrinity

Shamanic Tiger Qi Gong

Thanks Craig for the reply,

1. Master Wu is quite expensive or at least way out of my reach. When I first saw his info I was excited and thought I found a good teacher. However, after seeing his prices (lifelong teaching, each module 1500 +) it's way out of my reach.

Yep. He charges what he charges now. I have many friends of limited means who still attend lifelong training. He is offering weekly classes now where he is based. Unfortunately what I was able to attend initially is not available anymore. I understand that his week retreats are expensive. He still offers weekend seminars from time to time so depending upon where you live this may or may not make sense for you.

2. I don't care for esoteric classes. I'm interested in qigong only. I'm not seeing that al-a-carte availability from him.

I am not sure what you deem "esoteric". I think Wu's approach to Qigong is that it is NOT separate from the whole of Chinese Wisdom tradition. If this is a problem for you then he is definitely not right for you.

3. I'm a "proof is in the pudding" guy. I've been around several masters in the 25 years I've been into this who "radiate" qi. These are the guys I seek out. This is why I asked you about how you feel when you're in his presence. It doesn't mean anything to me if he has lineage or is deeply respected by people in China, if nothing is felt in his presence then that's not what I'm looking for.

I believe I addressed this area clearly. Let me make it more clear - his presence has a strong effect on my which I noticed immediately. His ability to bring you into a deeper Qi field immediately IS tangible. I believe he is the first teacher I have had who carries a tangible lineage Qi field and can / will connect you to it.

4. You mentioned Shaking. Do you know why Master Wu teaches shaking?

Shaking is a basic practice for releasing blockages on many layers of the physical and Qi and Shen levels. Everything he teaches has as a core concept working with the Jing/Qi/Shen layers simultaneously. I could go more deeply into answering or writing about shaking. It is simple and profound. This combined with the practice of the Heng sound creates a no nonsense connection with the lower tantien which is priceless in its simple effectiveness especially but not only for beginners. To get an even better taste of this practice and more might I suggest you look into a $20 purchase of his CD http://www.masterwu.net/articles_threetreasures_cd.html

This is a great introduction to the basics he teaches

5. You mentioned doing forms with low stances. Do you know how Master Wu would bring someone who could not do the low stances up to that level? Does he care to start a student where they should start based on their current condition or does he give everyone the same exercise who comes to him?

I have the impression that Master Wu used to teach much more strictly and Old School when it comes to this type of thing. As far as my experience he does not emphasize or require one to do challenging stances, but he does often repeat "go deeper, a little bit challenge yourself." When he used to teach taiji in Portland he would often give just one move a week to new students and let them practice without much further input.

Many students didn't last because of this old school way. His way has changed much since then, become more American friendly for better or worse.

6. Now I would be interested in his Bigu training as it's long been an interest of mine but if you look at his prerequisites, you'd need to train with him for 3 years continuously. Plus, pay the prices for his "secret" training. Sorry, can't afford that.

Yep. The Bigu course is a "special topic" course which is generally open to his "lifelong" students first and then those with 3 or more years training second. It is a very small class. I look forward to quizzing some of my good friends upon their return to the ordinary world in a few days.

Master Wu has his standards. He doesn't have the ambition or desire to attract too many students. Many of his students are TCM Doctors and he teaches a lot which applies directly to those practitioners.

In the end it sounds like he doesn't appeal to you for several reasons.

I find his authenticity, sincerity and value to be unquestionable on the basis of MY OWN judgement, experience and values. Doesn't mean he is for everyone. You could do far worse.

Thanks,

Again, check out the "Three Treasures CD" http://www.masterwu.net/articles_threetreasures_cd.html

This covers some really good basic material including shaking and I recommend it to everyone.

Sorry for the direct plug of my teacher's material. Not something you will see from me regularly.

Finally in the end I always refer to my sig:

Think not that all wisdom is contained in your school

Yes, I understand his position. Come to the U.S. with an extensive background and charge what he can for it after becoming known. Good for him... really. I don't make a lot of money and what I do goes towards my wife and son. Looks like I'll need to wait for a different lifetime before being able to study with someone like him.

VcraigP,

Can you please provide more info about the 'shaking'- its purpose and benefits?

thanks

Shaking has several purposes as Craig mentioned. One being to help open channels. Another, more important reason is to release bad qi and relieve stagnent areas of the body. This is some of the main focuses of the Tiger qigong exercise (at least the one I learned). Therefore this exercise is a foundation exercise IMO.