manitou

How did you get here?

What is a pure Taoist ?

Remember that Taoism is a religion and not the Tao itself.

Religions = control of the masses based on fear.

Tao = unknowable, ungraspable, undefineable.

A perfect point, to my eye.

It does seem like everybody got here from somewhere else, is my thinking. A Buddhist walks a very long Buddhist path to possess what they attain. An old traditional shaman would have had to walk a very long shamanic path to possess what they attained. The same could be said for the Masons, I guess. The Masonic path is long to the 33rd degree.

But it just seems like most of us here 'found' the Tao after years of searching in other directions. We are all here at the same point in time, but this is more like a nexus than an actual path. The only thing that binds us is the behavior of the Sage.

But I think I see the answer to my own question. I'm guessing many got to this philosophy through the martial arts and related disciplines? And certainly through traditional Chinese medicine or any of the Eastern practices.

I guess I just like the catch-all nature of this place.

Yes, and I think it is very unique in that respect.

Hey, lifeforce, do you do the 16 (+ 1) exercises in the book that's your avatar? I still do, sometimes; my whole life, learning out of books; I think it's highly underrated by teachers in Eastern traditions.

Manitou, I like your comments about Jesus. I got a copy of the Gospel of Thomas when I was in high school, and I always figured he was actually teaching his disciples something other than devotion- or trying to.

One of my college professors was from the south of India, or at least his people were. He said that his people always believed that Thomas migrated with a caravan to where his people lived. They stoned him to death, way back when, and become Christians afterward- I guess. Then there's the tomb of Jesus, or what's purported to be the tomb of Jesus, in the Kashmir province of India. I leap to the assumption that Jesus didn't necessarily die on the cross, and that he and Thomas proceeded together to India, then separated. I read about the tomb of Jesus in Tim Ward's "Fleas on the Great Dragon"; I think Mr. Ward also put forward that the first references to Avalokitesvara are from about that time, and that the bodhisattva of compassion was originally depicted with stigmata. Sure can't find anything about that on the web, although the tomb of Jesus shows up.

I did a lot of judo in high school and college, though I didn't get farther than a second brown; still, I think I owe my judo teacher more than I can say, for bearing with me and demonstrating some kind of mind/body connection. And for not telling me until years later that he and his senior students had a laugh at my expense, when I first came to class and showed them the hip throw I learned out of a book.

When I was fourteen I slipped into some sort of altered consciousness. I felt that I was everything, and everything was me, and that there was no subject-object dichotomy. There was nothing particularly unique about my day that day, only that I was walking home from a fairly average time at school.

I would like to feel that again.

Tao.

Oh, my friend, you can do something about that. :)

I was 100% sure that someone would tap me on that. Hehehe.

Actually, I get what I need. Too much euphoria and it becomes mundane. I still like the little surprises in my life.

I'm guessing many got to this philosophy through the martial arts and related disciplines? And certainly through traditional Chinese medicine or any of the Eastern practices.

I guess I just like the catch-all nature of this place.

I would definitely widen that perspective and just leave it at various disciplines that may or may not be part of various traditions, contemporary or not.

Hi Marblehead. :) No, it was not euphoria that I was refering to. Rather, an all-pervading calm in the midst of pure presence. In my practices, I do not aim for bliss or highs.

Best to you. _/\_

Nice response.

Yeah, I have calm here at my place except for an occasional burst of emotions when I am having a discussion on this board. Hehehe.

I've been working outside in the front yard today. More work to do after my break. Doing some rearranging of flowers and plant areas. It's very peaceful out there.

Thanks for the wishes. Same back at cha'.

Sounds like gardening is a great cultivation practice! -_-

Hehehe. Nice play with words.

Yeah, it really is. Direct contact with nature at the level of Tao.

I even enjoyed reading Stig's thread last year on his gardening.

Hey, lifeforce, do you do the 16 (+ 1) exercises in the book that's your avatar? I still do, sometimes; my whole life, learning out of books; I think it's highly underrated by teachers in Eastern traditions.

I sure do the 17 exercises and the standing from that book. Nearly every day for about 9 years now.

Got me interested in hsing i and I never looked back.

Hell of a book.

Tim Cartmell has a Sun Style Taijiquan book and DVD series just released. Saving up my pennies for those. :)

Hi lifeforce,

Can you tell me/us more about the benefits you gained from this exercises?

Thanks,

neiye

I sure do the 17 exercises and the standing from that book. Nearly every day for about 9 years now.

Hell of a book.

Tim Cartmell has a Sun Style Taijiquan book and DVD series just released. Saving up my pennies for those. :)

Hi lifeforce,

Can you tell me/us more about the benefits you gained from this exercises?

Thanks,

neiye

The benefits of doing this set of neigong are numerous.

Although the set is a martial neigong, particularly xingyi, it can be practiced without any further foray into the internal arts.

I learned the exercises a few at a time over a period of a few weeks, then I slowly increased the repetitions as laid out in the book.

After a couple of months the positive effects became evident.

1. Increased energy and concentration.

2. A sense of extreme well-being and contentment with life.

3. The immune system is significantly boosted. I very rarely suffer from colds, flu, and viral infections.

4. A lightness in walking, as if walking on a cushion of air, but with a firm step. A strange paradox.

5. The feeling of constant movement of bodily fluids and qi coursing through my entire body, something previously not experienced.

6. A strong stable stance and root.

7. An acute awareness of the dantian.

8. A spongy,elastic feeling of the spine as if it had lengthened and softened.

9. When applied martially, the exercises have allowed me to strike very hard with minimal strength and to brush off blows effortlessly.

10. Less sleep required. Not being tired early in the mornings.

There are probably dozens more which I could go on listing but you get the gist of it.

Mind you, these benefits are probably achievable using any qigong, as long as you put the hours in, and practice daily.

Hell of a book.

I'll be looking for it used, yeah, right.

I did the exercises for about nine years too, then I just kind of dropped them last fall- not sure why. Now it's just occasional. I realize the value of standing in that regard, but it wears me out for the rest of the day- at least that's how it was in the Tai Chi class, which was a lot of standing. Not doing that much anymore, either.

Dancing to rock 'n roll, that's about it- I probably like that too much.

I should take up gardening... see if I can find infinite calm in the plants out in the yard (just teasin', but I hope I'll take it up!).

Edited by Mark Foote

I should take up gardening... see if I can find infinite calm in the plants out in the yard (just teasin', but I hope I'll take it up!).

Hehehe. Don't sell its benefits short.

Main theme that has driven my course here: Bullying, raging extreme hostilities with a lot of people. Basically an exile (hermit/loner...but its okay because I'm happier this way and so is everyone else. I can never go back nor do I want too. Fuck them all.) and I'm not welcome anywhere I go. It has definitely had its blessings(lots of freedom) but it definitely has a bite at times as well. Overall I'd say its been more of a gift and has helped me to evolve. Being alone has also helped me to heal. I really appreciate the few friends I do have a trillion times more then I ever used to. I feel so much love for them and anyone who is nice to me. I never used to appreciate it at all.

I can't complain because it has taught me a lot.

I got into Taoism about a year ago on another forum from a member who posted some stuff on it. Decided I would study it a little. Wasn't very big (not that I didn't like it) into it in the beginning but gradually (actually very recently..the last 4 months) very naturally I shifted into it and interest grew from there. In just a year I've changed so much in interests. I was into self help BIG time for a while to hide my severe depression(I'm a little repulsed by it now). I finally came out of that and feel happier(not fully resolved but much better then where I was).

The one thing I learned from it all is that no matter how harsh the circumstances (I was in the deepest part of a psychological hellhole for a long time...everyday for over a year). Nothing can really hurt you. It can challenge you. But no matter what comes to your plate you can handle it if you make up your mind to handle it the pain of the problem is so much less.

Depends on what kind of plants, chuckle chuckle.

I guarantee you, when you're sitting on the ground with gloves on and have your hands down in the earth, and get that wonderful smell - you will feel like you've come home.

I really appreciate the few friends I do have a trillion times more then I ever used to. I feel so much love for them and anyone who is nice to me. I never used to appreciate it at all.

I really feel your aloneness; that's the way I am too. Luckily I do have a mate that's the same way; I can't tell you how fortunate that makes me feel. 25 years ago we were mates with shitty attitudes; now we're mates with loving attitudes.

The physical friends I have, I could count on one hand - people I would really call friends. It's funny - I feel your aloneness, as I feel mine - and yet it is this very aloneness that drives us along our paths. When you say you have love for anyone who is nice to you - I feel the very same way. How often is it in this day and age when anyone is really nice to us anyway? Most of us are too busy bumbling our way along to notice anyone else at all.

The genuineness of your spirit and your self honesty certainly shines through in your post Infinity. As to 'fuck 'em all!', this is always my self defense. Sometimes I feel that way too. Sometimes I see 'em all as merely a part of me, running around with unrestrained and unexamined behavior. That too is me.

Thank you for your honesty...

Depends on what kind of plants, chuckle chuckle.

I guarantee you, when you're sitting on the ground with gloves on and have your hands down in the earth, and get that wonderful smell - you will feel like you've come home.

Gloves? What are those?

I grow only flowering plants. Nothing that anyone would want to use for purposes other than looking at.

... 'fuck 'em all!', ...

I never used that thought all inclusive. However, I have used it on an individual level. Shame on me. Hehehe.

Nothing that anyone would want to use for purposes other than looking at.

LOL. You oughta check the catalogs - they've made flowers that smell good too.

LOL. You oughta check the catalogs - they've made flowers that smell good too.

Yeah, Yeah. But I have lost most of my sense of smell and I am just about the only one who can get close enough to them to smell them. Well, except for the honeysuckle that I have on one of my fence lines. When they go into bloom they can be smelled from a block away.

One of my neighbors has confederate jasmine on one of my fence lines (by my permission) and that stuff can be smelled from a long distance too when it is in bloom.

You're breaking my heart, being down there in Florida with your flowers.

I spent my day picking up frozen turds in the back yard.

...25 years ago we were mates with shitty attitudes; now we're mates with loving attitudes.

The physical friends I have, I could count on one hand - people I would really call friends. It's funny - I feel your aloneness, as I feel mine - and yet it is this very aloneness that drives us along our paths. When you say you have love for anyone who is nice to you - I feel the very same way. How often is it in this day and age when anyone is really nice to us anyway? Most of us are too busy bumbling our way along to notice anyone else at all.

I am very fortunate to have a handful of friends, including the woman who was my wife (back when), and the woman who I hope will be my wife in the near future. These things are precious, to look someone in the eye and laugh, and to look someone in the eye and cry; you could say that's why I'm a student of the way, I guess. It helps to get up on the tightrope, physically, so that I can recognize a fine line when I'm walking one.

Oh to be sitting on the ground with my hands in the dirt with Tao Bums and friends, perhaps in Florida as I'd rather not have frost-bite as well as frozen turds on my hands. Ha ha, stick with it, Manitou!- er, that doesn't sound quite right...

You're breaking my heart, being down there in Florida with your flowers.

I spent my day picking up frozen turds in the back yard.

Yeah, I know. When I was getting ready to retire from the Army my mom wanted me to move back up to northern Ohio so I would be close to her. I just couldn't do it.

Neat yesterday afternoon, I was sitting outside close to the violas and viewed one honey bee and one bumble bee having supper.