Taomeow

What are you watching on Youtube?

I woulda had a lot of fun with one of those as a teenager, but it'd split my back in half these days.  I probably would have ran over my fingers a bunch, too :lol:

• Like 1

I've been watching and downloading as mp3 some Barry Long videos.   He's a mystic whose thinking influenced Eckhardt Tolle.  For a self proclaimed enlightened person, he's quite opinionated, paradoxically.   Here's a short video of him doing a Q and A.   Worthwhile in my opinion.

• Like 2

I know this will make some people laugh at me but I love ASMR. Hopefully this video will begin where I set it, and not play a loud ad (youtube is killin' me with those). In fact please start with stuff on mute just in case, as most of these vids need to be turned up, but...

ASMR is meant to be listened to ideally with headphones, calmly, so you can hear scratching, rubbing, crinkling, tapping, brushing, whispering, tinkling, clicking, and other sounds that have an interesting and often very positive effect on the nervous system. Visuals can sometimes do it also, like a close-up focus to the camera. This led to some interesting (and sometimes hilarious, and sometimes predictably semi-erotic) roleplaying youtube enthusiasm but that's not really what it's about. A lot of people just like plugging that option into just about everything. :-)

Ever go to the hair salon and while they are working on you, have a nice moment of a 'warm shiver' from the attention? This is basically an ASMR effect. "Attention" can do it, but sounds work unusually well -- stuff you'd never expect. I found one vid once that had this 'chittering' almost bugs, which I didn't like intellectually but my body seemed to like. There's a whole world to this and different people respond to different "triggers" as the sounds are referred to. Sometimes you can respond a lot to something and then it fades but if you don't listen to that for awhile, the response comes back. Usually if you are calm, ideally close your eyes but you don't have to (sometimes certain visuals help for whatever reason), you'll find something in the wide collection available on yt that you will respond to. You will get fuzzies, shivers, tingles, there are different terms (and feelings).

Allegedly this is not the same nerve response as 'frission' from music.

This video is a woman I like who was one of the earliest people into the ASMR yt world. This is mostly a rubbing and slightly scratching sound video with occasional tinkling from some earrings. She tries to be so cool on camera and usually fails just slightly -- rather like she is so pretty, but not quite too pretty -- she is adorably dorky sometimes. I love the sound when the finger-mics brush the earrings.

I often respond to "nearly inaudible rubbing" (though I sometimes have to SEE it or at least know it's there), so if you didn't already think this was weird, now you will. This vid should start right at the point where that kind of thing begins for a short time. This videos is mostly of fake fingernails on wooden boxes and some artsy objects.

This one, you really would need headphones to hear properly for reaction I suspect but if you have them esp. earbuds some people would probably like it. Or hate it. :-)  Don't forget to start with mute if you've turned sound up in case of ads...

If you prefer "visuals" instead, this is a role-playing sci-fi vid done by a woman I think is a game programmer and got into making highly "specialized" videos for ASMR. It doesn't really trigger me but the section of the vid I am linking to has a couple example of using visual and sound (mostly sound here but visual too) to provide an 'enjoyable' effect. Obviously if your environment is not too bright, nor your screen, and you are sitting calmly with full screen this goes a little better. Most visual stuff works best I find if you fix on a spot and look there and don't move your eyes around the screen much.

Edit to add: this has a variety of different sounds and transitions and is pretty decent.

Well and that is ASMR.

Sometimes I put on several different ones at the same time in multiple tabs. I find it very relaxing. :-)

RC

Edited by redcairo
  • Like 1

I know this will make some people laugh at me but I love ASMR. Hopefully this video will begin where I set it, and not play a loud ad (youtube is killin' me with those). In fact please start with stuff on mute just in case, as most of these vids need to be turned up, but...

ASMR is meant to be listened to ideally with headphones, calmly, so you can hear scratching, rubbing, crinkling, tapping, brushing, whispering, tinkling, clicking, and other sounds that have an interesting and often very positive effect on the nervous system. Visuals can sometimes do it also, like a close-up focus to the camera. This led to some interesting (and sometimes hilarious, and sometimes predictably semi-erotic) roleplaying youtube enthusiasm but that's not really what it's about. A lot of people just like plugging that option into just about everything. :-)

Ever go to the hair salon and while they are working on you, have a nice moment of a 'warm shiver' from the attention? This is basically an ASMR effect. "Attention" can do it, but sounds work unusually well -- stuff you'd never expect. I found one vid once that had this 'chittering' almost bugs, which I didn't like intellectually but my body seemed to like. There's a whole world to this and different people respond to different "triggers" as the sounds are referred to. Sometimes you can respond a lot to something and then it fades but if you don't listen to that for awhile, the response comes back. Usually if you are calm, ideally close your eyes but you don't have to (sometimes certain visuals help for whatever reason), you'll find something in the wide collection available on yt that you will respond to. You will get fuzzies, shivers, tingles, there are different terms (and feelings).

Allegedly this is not the same nerve response as 'frission' from music.

This video is a woman I like who was one of the earliest people into the ASMR yt world. This is mostly a rubbing and slightly scratching sound video with occasional tinkling from some earrings. She tries to be so cool on camera and usually fails just slightly -- rather like she is so pretty, but not quite too pretty -- she is adorably dorky sometimes. I love the sound when the finger-mics brush the earrings.

I often respond to "nearly inaudible rubbing" (though I sometimes have to SEE it or at least know it's there), so if you didn't already think this was weird, now you will. This vid should start right at the point where that kind of thing begins for a short time. This videos is mostly of fake fingernails on wooden boxes and some artsy objects.

This one, you really would need headphones to hear properly for reaction I suspect but if you have them esp. earbuds some people would probably like it. Or hate it. :-) Don't forget to start with mute if you've turned sound up in case of ads...

If you prefer "visuals" instead, this is a role-playing sci-fi vid done by a woman I think is a game programmer and got into making highly "specialized" videos for ASMR. It doesn't really trigger me but the section of the vid I am linking to has a couple example of using visual and sound (mostly sound here but visual too) to provide an 'enjoyable' effect. Obviously if your environment is not too bright, nor your screen, and you are sitting calmly with full screen this goes a little better. Most visual stuff works best I find if you fix on a spot and look there and don't move your eyes around the screen much.

Edit to add: this has a variety of different sounds and transitions and is pretty decent.

Well and that is ASMR.

Sometimes I put on several different ones at the same time in multiple tabs. I find it very relaxing. :-)

RC

Just an FYI -- if you use the "share" function in YT, it converts the URL to a shortened form the forum software doesn't recognize so it presents as a link rather than an embedded video. If you copy and paste the URL from your browser's address bar, instead, it will show as a ready-to-play video (unless you are using a device YT recognizes as "mobile" in which case you might need to replace the "m." with "www.").
  • Like 1

Conan O'Brien officially gives his concession speech for losing 2016 Sexiest Man of the Year (People Magazine) to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Hilarious -- and a spoof on the recent election too of course.

Edited by redcairo

Wow, that's a full length movie, tons of famous people, and really high quality video. Haven't seen it. Thanks!

RC

• Like 1

I chanced on this by accident. It's a compilation of comments from Donald Trump about the country and the presidency or leadership dating back to 1980, and then clips from various years up to the end where it has his speech that ended with "I am running for US President" in 2015.

There is nothing in here that makes me think of some kind of race-baiting woman-hating psycho. If you go to shock-jock radio show history or reality-TV and related interviews history you get the stuff the press has been freaking out about. But if you watch this -- and yes, ignore the soft music, that made me laugh -- what you really see is someone who's been saying the same messages -- trade wars are killing us, our veterans need help, we need a strong leader, I don't want to be that leader no but I really want someone to do it well finally -- and then THIRTY FIVE YEARS LATER after four presidents all managed to make it worse than it began, he finally ran himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCabT_O0YSM

RC

• Like 1