Trunk

Hot Tea

At work, and pretty much always with green tea, I just put the leaves in a glass and pour not-quite-boiling water on them.

Yes, it is said that the water should be caught just on the cusp of boiling point to reap the full flavour and anti-oxidant qualities :D

Edited by Rara

Does anyone know of a chart that had all of the popular tea brands listed as well as how safe they are. I believe it listed things such as if the tea had fluoride, if it was organic, etc.

It was posted on here but I can't find it. :(

I wanted to know how safe the Traditional Medicinal brand is.

Yup, that was me :), from the thread Foods & Food Additives That May Be Potentially Troublesome or Toxic.

The chart below is from an article: Do You Know What's Really In Your Tea?

Tea-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Good post, very interesting (I drink tea quite a bit).

It's actually funny that you should post this, because I was thinking about going away from buying tea in store to trying to harvest and prepare my own herbs.

Yup, that was me :), from the thread Foods & Food Additives That May Be Potentially Troublesome or Toxic.

Tea-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Thank you! Thank you! Thaaaank you! :)

• Like 1

I usually prefer to mix my own :). I usually do rooibos mixes since I prefer to avoid caffeine as much as possible.

Though I was too lazy to hit the health food store yesterday and just bought a package of dandelion root tea. I'll try it out later today.

I discovered a new tea love at an esoteric bookstore of all places...

The owner came across the tea and has sold it at his store ever since.

Spring Dragon by Ron Teaguarden:

5 tonic herbs are extracted into a syrup which is then infused into Gynostemma leaves and dried, making a very potent herbal infusion. I'm deeply in love. This has replaced my morning lemon water for the time being.

This stuff is smooth energy in liquid bliss.

• Like 1

Looks up tea on chart, traditional medicinals, whew ;).

In general I avoid name brand stuff like the plague and made an exception this time...

The rooibos mix my student left here isn't on the list...

Tea-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Great chart! Thank you for that - I love Yogi Egyptian Licorice but will now substitute Traditional Medicinals' Licorice Root.

One problem is that I drink a lot of Taiwanese high mountain Oolong and I don't think there's any credible info out there on what's in it in terms of pesticides…

*bump*
re-ordering Rooibos tea. the 1 pound lasted me about a year, still diggin' it. :)

Open & honest:
A friend of mine makes a modest commission from the sale of Rooibos tea. Still, I'm being honest about my experience w/ it; I wouldn't be posting if I wasn't impressed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the couple of years since this thread started, I've been drinking tea daily (still love my 2 qt carafe), trying different teas, and Rooibos (African Red Tea) has become my default tea... I'd have to say, my favorite by a margin.

Reasons:
1. It is not astringent (drying). On the contrary, I find it to be somewhat moistening. Most teas are astringent to some degree and so are contrary to one of the reasons I drink tea: to hydrate.

2. It is healing, in ways that I don't fully understand. Part of it, according to a doctor friend of mine, is that it prompts blood circulation. When I first started drinking it I had the distinct sensation that a stuck place within me unstuck. Link to the wikipedia entry on Rooibos w/ some of the healing details.

3. Of course, it tastes good. :)

Upon trying it, I was impressed enough that I bought 1 pound of bulk Rooibos from OrganicRooibosTea.com and it is lasting me months and months. Enter discount code of "DESTINY" (no quotes, all caps) at check-out for %10 off. Get it where ever you want; I'd still recommend it.

- Trunk

p.s.
I still think pu-erh is exceptional, and a number of other greens, oolongs, that I enjoy and go to occasionally.

*bump*

re-ordering Rooibos tea. the 1 pound lasted me about a year, still diggin' it. :)

Sounds interesting... was thinking of trying Rooibos as my next tea to test. Can you describe what the flavour is like?

African red tea is what I drink, usually a blend of different teas.

I like Sainsbury's red label, gives a nice dark reddish colour to the tea when quite strong, very distinct from the brown of coffee.

What can I say?

Drink tea.

For the love of God!

I must drink over a dozen cups a day.

Sounds interesting... was thinking of trying Rooibos as my next tea to test. Can you describe what the flavour is like?

lol, funny ... I've been drinking it all this time and am having trouble finding the words to describe it's taste!, lol

It's has a taste, but it's not really strong tasting in any direction ... kinda tastes "like a moderate tea", lol.

OrganicRooibosTea.com Discount code of "DESTINY" (no quotes, all caps) at check-out for %10 off.

I keep hearing good things about jiaogulan, or gynostemma tea. Supposed to have all sorts of nifty health benefits and taste great to boot!

• Like 1

My latest favourite tea is organic Genmaicha. Really love the taste! Soft/mild, pleasantly nutty, aromatic, and health-promoting!

this is the brand im with -- http://www.clearspring.co.uk/collections/organic-japanese-tea/genmaicha

extra info -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genmaicha

-- http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/03/tea-time-what-is-genmaicha-green-tea-toasted-rice.html

Next time you come across some nettles, take a bunch (carefully with gloves, take and rinse the leaves, dry them out and voila! Nettle tea (strained) with lemon is great for colds. Tried and tested :)

I drink more peppermint tea at the moment for digestion. It's very good!

• Like 1

Young nettle tops, very lightly steamed are nicer than spinach IMO.

You need to start with a lot to get two portions though - it goes to almost nothing in a steamer.

Maybe don't try this but when I was a kid my old grandad once showed me how to pick nettles without being stung.

Imagine that you are wearing a glove and get right in there and seize the nettle firmly with rapid and determined mind.

Apparently ( according to granddad) the nettle can sense this and retracts its stingy needles.

He was a coal miner mind you so had hands slightly harder than a horse's hooves.

I tried it and was stung liberally for my troubles.

Having hands softer than a baby's bottom, then and now; I persist in wearing gardening gloves.

Edited by GrandmasterP

My latest favourite tea is organic Genmaicha. Really love the taste! Soft/mild, pleasantly nutty, aromatic, and health-promoting!

this is the brand im with -- http://www.clearspring.co.uk/collections/organic-japanese-tea/genmaicha

extra info -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genmaicha

-- http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/03/tea-time-what-is-genmaicha-green-tea-toasted-rice.html

Me too, its probably my favorite winter time tea. Not just naturally sweet, but also robustly filling (for a tea). Cheap too. I get an embarrassingly large bag at a local Japanese grocery for $4 or $5 and its very good (mine might not be organic).

• Like 1