Sign in to follow this  
Everything

The happiness of a schizophrenic

Ok, I will try guide you with this text from desire to frustration to happiness, back to frustration and then stop right in neutrality there to discuss objectivity and relativity. here it goes:

Oops, I accidentally created a desire to buy these things(whatever you want). I enjoyed the idea having these things, I LOVED the IDEA of having them, I desired them. I had a desire for them, I coulden't denie that the idea of having them felt great.

Now, I felt so great... So great about the idea! Something must be wrong... "I don't have this thing!" The IDEA that FELT GREAT was the idea where I already had the thing! BUT I DONT ALREADY HAVE IT! So now I feel worse, because I don't believe I have what I want right now... I don't even desire to have it later, I want it now! It only feels good when I think I already have it right now! :angry:

So you become so angry, or sad or depressed because your standards are raised of what feels good and what does not. You're not content about your situation. (E.g. Food and water isn't enough, you also want this and that to feel great! or... you want these and those circumstances to improve.)

I have lots of desires. I can't let them go or denie them. I've tried for years, it never worked. Even if I do let go, desires just keep coming and coming. There's always more wanting, always. Even when I have nothing or everything. Even the want not to want is more wanting! So, how OH how to ever feel good when you can never have what you want and yet always want more and more?

Well... How do durably happy people think about what they want?

They believe: "I already have what I want and am enjoying what I have and more of what I want comes to me everyday!" You look at their lifes and see that they indeed have what they want, enjoy it and more of what they want everyday! Not only personal proof, but collective proof aswell!

Can you believe: "I already have what I want and am enjoying what I have and more of what I want comes to me everyday!"? I mean in your mind, make yourself believe it, by the use of imagination and create personal imagined proof.

How to believe it?

What is a believe? It is not only an idea. Not only an emotion. Not only behaviour and perception. It is all of these together! The believe forms who you are, your limits, your boundaries, your identity.

Lets try and create the idea, images, experience, sensation of what you want, by the use of your imagination. Whatever you desire! Anything! This is just a believe you will try on, for a minute or two at least! Just to feel the emotion of how it feels.

You have to trick your mind into believing (just for a minute or two) that it is right now right this very moment right here where you are already manifested. Not in order to actually manifest it, but to feel it. So yes, you are going to manifest it, but for only 2 minutes. As long as you believe it is there. Yet, in your imagination you will not say "2minutes" but right here right now, timeless. After that it is gone. Promise yourself to only believe in it for 2 minutes. You're going to let go of your current reality in order to focus on the happy believe for 2 minutes where you have EVERYTHING you want.

The key to believing/trusting in something that cannot be perceived directly in your environment, to the point that you feel it is true, is:

imagination.

Don't force emotion, your emotions are a reflection of your current situation/perception/imagination. So force the image, vision or believe in your surrounding and trust in it for just long enough in order to feel happy. If you feel not great, you're not believing it, or imagining it to be true. Try use more creativity in your imagination. For example, imagine the thing you want right on your table. Or imagine with open eyes, that you see a person walking in the door. Feel his handshake and talk to him telepathicly. Don't imagine that that person is an imagination. Imagine it to be real. A way to do that is to ask yourself, what would I do if really this person would come walk in my door? Behave like it! Ask the guy who he is! And make him give the answer you want him to give! Its all your imagination. He says to you, I have brought a suitcase of this thing you want in it. Say, "There is no doubt about that what I want is here, what am I going to do with it now... oh all the things I can do!" Don't leave the mind room for doubt. Keep assuming like that on and on untill the emotion of the believe manifests stronger and stronger and keep imagining and envisioning the things you want in your current surroundings, with your entire body and mind. Feel it with your hands, imaginary. This way, you feed your mind more proof of the thing, you want, already being there. The mind will believe it and the emotion or feeling in your heart is a sign that your believe has become stable enough. "I'm going to take this thing and do that and this! Oh, finally I can do all these things I always wanted to do! No worries about anything because I have everything I need to keep doing this and I have all these things I want. The milion dollar credit card in my pocket, the phone to call the airlines, the great relationships(whatever you want). etc. Feels so great! I'm so happy now that I can do all the things I want to do or not have to do all the things I don't want to do!"

Don't use these thoughts, they are an example. You grow your own train of thoughts based on the things you want currently. Even if that would be infinite food, or perhaps living in beautiful nature with family, independant of society. WHATEVER YOUUUU DESIRE, no self judgement! So do it right now and after that, continue reading....

...PAUSE...

So, eventually, you will start feeling the emotion rise up as you start believing the "ideas" you're focusing, imagining, appreciation, feeling, perceiving, etc. The fact that it is imagined doesn't matter, you still have to appreciate it and perceive it and focus on it. The point was to make you feel great, by tricking your mind into believing it is manifested right now.

The thing needs not manifest. My only mission was for you to realize that you can change what your current emotions feel like, simply by using your imagination to focus on any given believe you feel would manifest that emotion(happiness in this case).

After these two minutes, the first thing you do is ofcourse question your happiness. Isn't it odd that you feel happy, even though the circumstances never changed? This happiness seems stupid and you feel like an idiot for trusting the LIES you told yourself in order to feel happy! You must have practiced insanity and ignorance for those 2 minutes! What is the point of such a thing? You feel it is appropriate to feel neutral again and happiness fades away. Perhaps even more frustrated about your current situation, so that the universe knows that you do not want your current situation, if that is true in your case. You don't want the universe to think that you feel content about your current situation! No, by the gods no! You want to make it obvious that you prefer another situation and that you believe "I have not what I want, I am not enjoying what I want, What I have right now is now what I want!" The structure of happiness was not even destroyed, it just faded away to make room for your new structure, you're focusing on. The structure that requires not your imagination to seek proof of it. The situation that is truth and based in objective reality all around you. The truth that cannot be denied. You open the news and perceive evil and you see it as objective reality. It is perceived and it is now believed and real. It manifests more sadness and more desires rise and rise as you perceive more and more negative objective reality. Which is the path of negative objective reality. Its just the extreme example of someone who is trapped in negative reality and falls deeper and deeper into it, by making the negativity unchanging and your truth. Yet, there are neutral people in objective reality aswell, yet very view happy people. Durably happy, constantly excited and in joy.

So, the only way to escape your objective reality is to develop withdrawel (like Alzheimer) and slowly become happy, feel constant raising happiness, in your ignorance of the reality, yet frustrated when people try to pull you back to reality. So you go deeper and deeper into withdrawler, untill your full bliss is experienced at totall surrender of the self and ultimately death. This is how old people slowly behave when they find negative reality surround them their entire life and cannot seem to escape it. Or they just become too sensitive to even a tiny bit of negativity. The only escape is alzheimer and it is a wonderful way die. Not always equally pleasant for the relatives of the patient though, hehe. Usually alzheimer patience have people in their lifes who are strongly focused on their surroundings and can be called realists. These are people who naturally disprefer when someone ignores them. Which is pretty much about 50% of all people, haha.

Yet, there is also the path of relative reality. Where your reality is so relative/changing and your believes are so flexible that you develop some sort of controlled schizophrenia. You start to see things and believe in things that only you see and want to see. You can still relate to other people by diffrentiating your imagination from non-imagination by asking other people what they believe and respecting their believes. So you slowly keep your believes and truth a secret. Yet, in the end. Whatever happens in your life, you choose to believe in what makes you happy. So you're happy no matter what the circumstances are in your life. A happy person who is called "insane" everytime he fails at hiding his true believes that are the source of all his joy and happiness. Yet, sometimes go as far as believing that everyone calls him clever. He seems to spontaneously thank people around him. The controlled schizophrenic person can have the highest amount of excitement and joy. He/she has total control of his perceptions and is not falling victim to them, since he/she choose what to hallucinate. A waking dreamer, dreaming with eyes wide open. What happens when a person has lost his mind so far, that he/she is happy, no matter what the circumstances are. That even the worst of situations are felt as joyful, since the person chooses his own truth in these situations and creates instantenous personal halucinated truth. Having his unique personal truth, trough which he/she relates to other people in a very unique way. What happens then? Will the circumstances keep worsening or will they improve?

That one is for you to DECIDE.

Edited by Everything

Unless it becomes a story :lol:

They're fun, but I prefer less symbolic stories.

Person a becomes happy while thinking this and that and experiences doing this and that and interacts with person b doing this and that feeling this, while person a feels that. Disagreement grows feeling x, y and z. Etc

I want as many details as possible in the story of truthful realistic nonfiction real life human experiences. Like watching a show on humans on animal planet. The commentator must be extremely observing.

If you like symbolic, short but powerful stories, you should read mythological texts. Like nord mythology. They're very deep and say allot of things about the diffrent aspects and archetypes of the human psyche in symbolic ways. Short, but powerful and has much meaning.

Edited by Everything

Yeah, it's interesting. Now if you'll just step over here and buy this. It's guaranteed to put a spring in your step, everything you wanted.

No matter it was made by a child slave somewhere. Look at the pretty colours and don't you worry. Market'll take care of everything.

Seriously. Are you advocating denial? No doubt we can all fool ourselves about what particular things will satiate our desires but I wouldn't suggest doing so voluntarily.

Same goes for the negative side.

the emotion of "happiness" is a tool used by higher dimensional beings to control lower dimensional beings like us humans..

it is like a drug.. the drug gives you a high so you are constantly searching and slaving to attain this high..

so the OP is wrong.. one should force the emotions to go the way your mind wants to .. and not let your mind be ruled by your emotions..

Very interesting replies!

I agree with you, Tulku, that the emotions follow your mind. Yet, the heart is the center of your being. The mind infuencing the heart is not disconnected from the heart it seems. The way we think is determined mostly by the chemical state of our brain and body. All our mind has to do is allow certain thoughts to jump start, the heart will support the thoughts eventually. Just wake up tired and focus on being awake and energetic. You will feel the heart start sendig energy intensely to match that believe. Someone can be sad and think that happy people are dumb and ignorant, yet happy people only see sad people who denie them selves the happiness they deserve. Happy people sometimes get sad, when surrounded by allot of sad people who prefer objective reality to triumph and use the reality as an excuse to feel sad. The circumstances never are the way you want them to be. Even tiny things like, you want sugar in your coffee. These desires cause itention to arise, putting sugar in the coffee. The new desire is to drink the coffee, the intention is there.

There is no striving in believing you are already happy. Does striving for happiness sound like a happy state of being? It doesn't to me. Believing you are striving for happiness is not the same as believing you are already happy. I was reffering to the latter. If happiness is denial, then I wish you pleasant denial. To me, if I'm happy, I don't define my self as "in denial". Those definitions don't support my believe "I am already happy."

Yet for some of you, denial may experienced as pleasant and denial may be strongly related to happiness. I highly doubt this is so for anyone here. So let go of denial, be happy.

No doubt we can all fool ourselves about what particular things will satiate our desires but I wouldn't suggest doing so voluntarily.

Same goes for the negative side.

Oh, I have infinite desires indeed and they have never deceived me into feeling sad or negative in anyway. My desires are source of great joy, excitement, passion, contentment, appreciation and durable happiness.

How about you. Do you have desires? If so, how do they make you feel and what believe cause you to feel that way? If you don't have desires, could you explain me how you got to that point? I would be interested sincerely.

Edited by Everything

Now if you'll just step over here and buy this.

Again, there is great diffrence in believing "I have to buy the things I want" and the believe of "I've already bought the thing I want and already have it, right now, right this moment." the the believe of striving for happiness is not the same as the believe of " already happy right now right this moment right here." they way to get there might require gradual imagination where you first imagine buying it. Only if that works for you. My example was just one of a milion other examples. The train of thoughts you jump start in order to feel happy are relative to your current state of being and desires.

I was reffering to the latter being the source of happiness l, where the self alligns with the desire instead of deviating from it and viewing all desires as the source of great sorrow and pain. If one can be desireless, great respect and I'm all open ears and eyes. Yet, if one has desires, denieing them does no good.

Edited by Everything

Again, there is great diffrence in believing "I have to buy the things I want" and the believe of "I've already bought the thing I want and already have it, right now, right this moment." the the believe of striving for happiness is not the same as the believe of " already happy right now right this moment right here." they way to get there might require gradual imagination where you first imagine buying it. Only if that works for you. My example was just one of a milion other examples. The train of thoughts you jump start in order to feel happy are relative to your current state of being and desires.

I was reffering to the latter being the source of happiness l, where the self alligns with the desire instead of deviating from it and viewing all desires as the source of great sorrow and pain. If one can be desireless, great respect and I'm all open ears and eyes. Yet, if one has desires, denieing them does no good.

"eat when hungry" and not "eat when bored".

I reckon this sums it up for me:-)

I'm happy I can still feel the emotion of desire.

But then, I am happy that I do not allow these desires to bother my mind.

Sometimes what you want is better than what you have though. If you get all those material things or the dream job or the perfect mate. Well then what... Working folks blues, working hard to buy those things you want, but then you don't enjoy since you just work til you're exhausted to pay the bills.

Sometimes what you want is better than what you have though. If you get all those material things or the dream job or the perfect mate. Well then what... Working folks blues, working hard to buy those things you want, but then you don't enjoy since you just work til you're exhausted to pay the bills.

Reality sucks sometimes. Hehehe.

Speaking of things and desires reminds me of the wording I sometimes run through before I meditate. A vispasana exercise.

I am not my body, I am that which inhabits it.

I am not my thoughts, they are temporary, like clouds floating across the sky.

I am not my past..

I am not my future..

I am not my possessions

I am not my..

We get way to wrapped up in possessions. Its easy to forget they're just things. Nothing wrong with having them, but its healthiest (imo) to downgrade it from desire to preference. Desires are sticky things, preferences come and go, and don't need to hung on to.

Course my latest preference is a sweet full bodied massage chair for $2700. Haven't bought it yet. Maybe I'm waiting to see if I can justify such an expensive luxury to myself. It does arms and legs; squeezes the whole body. I could spend every night in its cold mechanical zero gravity mode embrace. It would be My Precious. keep the kidlings and wife away from it, mine only for me. My precious

(we did begin with schizophrenia didn't we B) )

Very interesting replies!

I agree with you, Tulku, that the emotions follow your mind. Yet, the heart is the center of your being. The mind infuencing the heart is not disconnected from the heart it seems. The way we think is determined mostly by the chemical state of our brain and body. All our mind has to do is allow certain thoughts to jump start, the heart will support the thoughts eventually. Just wake up tired and focus on being awake and energetic. You will feel the heart start sendig energy intensely to match that believe. Someone can be sad and think that happy people are dumb and ignorant, yet happy people only see sad people who denie them selves the happiness they deserve. Happy people sometimes get sad, when surrounded by allot of sad people who prefer objective reality to triumph and use the reality as an excuse to feel sad. The circumstances never are the way you want them to be. Even tiny things like, you want sugar in your coffee. These desires cause itention to arise, putting sugar in the coffee. The new desire is to drink the coffee, the intention is there.

There is no striving in believing you are already happy. Does striving for happiness sound like a happy state of being? It doesn't to me. Believing you are striving for happiness is not the same as believing you are already happy. I was reffering to the latter. If happiness is denial, then I wish you pleasant denial. To me, if I'm happy, I don't define my self as "in denial". Those definitions don't support my believe "I am already happy."

Yet for some of you, denial may experienced as pleasant and denial may be strongly related to happiness. I highly doubt this is so for anyone here. So let go of denial, be happy.

The heart is only a tertiary center when compared to the crown and pineal gland. The heart may have its own intelligence but one should always use the crown's intelligence and pineal gland's intelligence to overcome the faulty unenlightened intelligence of the heart.

Cos the heart is as unevolved as it gets when compared to the mind, pineal gland and the crown. The Crown, incidentally, represents the infiniteness of the Universe and the Creator himself. When you tapped into the power of the Crown, you are connecting with the Creator himself.

Desires may be started by the heart but one can always use the power of the crown and pineal gland.. ie the mind to overcome the unevolved desires of the heart.

I don't strive for happiness nor do I deny happiness.

I am not "happy" nor am I "sad".

I am completely empty, in void, in emptiness.

I am .. dispassionate.. completely empty of emotions.. whether it be positive or negative emotions..

Oh, I have infinite desires indeed and they have never deceived me into feeling sad or negative in anyway. My desires are source of great joy, excitement, passion, contentment, appreciation and durable happiness.

How about you. Do you have desires? If so, how do they make you feel and what believe cause you to feel that way? If you don't have desires, could you explain me how you got to that point? I would be interested sincerely.

You will be lying to yourself if you indeed believe that your desires have never given you suffering.

One should always use his mind to overcome the desires generated by the unevolved heart.

It would be My Precious. keep the kidlings and wife away from it, mine only for me. My precious

Funny. Hehehe.

the whole purpose of our existence on planet earth is to train our mind to overcome the desires for happiness and the sufferings generated by such searches for happiness..

Denying your desires is the very epitome of spiritual training. If you cannot deny your desires, then you will never reach Enlightenment, you will never destroy your ego and you will be forever trapped in the cycle of rebirth and death for eternity.

Man’s life has been centred round the physical body and its desires. To give up the belief that he is the physical body involves the giving up of all the desires pertaining to the physical body and the false values which they imply. The belief that he is his physical body is conducive to the physical desires and attachments; but the belief that he is other than his physical body runs counter to ac...cepted desires and attachments. Therefore the belief that he is his physical body becomes natural. It is easy to hold and difficult to uproot.

On the other hand, belief that he is something other than his physical body seems to call for convincing proof. It is difficult to hold and easy to resist. All the same, when the mind is unburdened of all physical desires and attachments, the belief that he is his physical body is seen to be false and the belief that he is something other than his body is seen to be true.

Even when a person succeeds in shedding the false belief that he is the physical body, he remains a victim of the false belief that he is his subtle body. His life is then centred round the subtle body and its desires. To give up the belief that he is the subtle body involves the giving up of all desires pertaining to the subtle body and the false values which they imply. Therefore the belief that he is his subtle body now becomes natural for him, and the belief that he is something other than his subtle body seems to call for convincing proof. But when the mind is unburdened of all desires and attachments pertaining to the subtle body, the person gives up the false belief that he is his subtle body as readily as he gave up the false belief that he was his physical body.

This is not the end of false beliefs however. Even when a person abandons the false belief that he is his subtle body he cherishes the illusory belief that he is his ego-mind or the mental body. Man cherishes false belief because he relishes it. Throughout his long life as an individual soul he has clung fondly to the false idea of his separate existence. All his thoughts and emotions and activities have repeatedly assumed and confirmed but one affirmation, viz., the existence of the separate “I.” To surrender the false belief that he is the ego-mind is to surrender all that has seemed to constitute his very existence.

In surrendering the false belief that he is his physical or subtle body it is necessary to surrender various desires and attachments. It is a giving up of something one has had for a long time. In surrendering the false belief that he is his ego-mind, he is called upon to surrender the very core of what he has thought himself to be. To shed this last vestige of falsehood is, therefore, the most difficult thing. But this last falsehood is no more lasting than the earlier falsehoods which had seemed to be unchallengeable certainties. It also has its ending, and it is shed when the soul renounces its craving for separate existence.

DISCOURSES by Meher Baba

Edited by tulku

You will be lying to yourself if you indeed believe that your desires have never given you suffering.

Good point. I know I would never be able to say that I never suffered because of my desires. But then, that would have been many years ago before I learned how to deal with my desires.

Speaking of things and desires reminds me of the wording I sometimes run through before I meditate. A vispasana exercise.

I am not my body, I am that which inhabits it.

I am not my thoughts, they are temporary, like clouds floating across the sky.

I am not my past..

I am not my future..

I am not my possessions

I am not my..

We get way to wrapped up in possessions. Its easy to forget they're just things. Nothing wrong with having them, but its healthiest (imo) to downgrade it from desire to preference. Desires are sticky things, preferences come and go, and don't need to hung on to.

Course my latest preference is a sweet full bodied massage chair for $2700. Haven't bought it yet. Maybe I'm waiting to see if I can justify such an expensive luxury to myself. It does arms and legs; squeezes the whole body. I could spend every night in its cold mechanical zero gravity mode embrace. It would be My Precious. keep the kidlings and wife away from it, mine only for me. My precious

You forgot..

I am not my desires.

I am not my emotions.

The heart is only a tertiary center when compared to the crown and pineal gland. The heart may have its own intelligence but one should always use the crown's intelligence and pineal gland's intelligence to overcome the faulty unenlightened intelligence of the heart.

Cos the heart is as unevolved as it gets when compared to the mind, pineal gland and the crown. The Crown, incidentally, represents the infiniteness of the Universe and the Creator himself. When you tapped into the power of the Crown, you are connecting with the Creator himself.

Desires may be started by the heart but one can always use the power of the crown and pineal gland.. ie the mind to overcome the unevolved desires of the heart.

I don't strive for happiness nor do I deny happiness.

I am not "happy" nor am I "sad".

I am completely empty, in void, in emptiness.

I am .. dispassionate.. completely empty of emotions.. whether it be positive or negative emotions..

So you denie your emotions or you just have none?

Sign in to follow this