mile83

do all taoists believe in immortality and ...

" I think Dogen said something similar when discussing time with students - "if you take some wood, burn it then view the ashes as the future tense of the wood, you misunderstand...wood is Suchness expressed as wood, ash is Suchness expressed as ash"...therefore the Suchness of wood has not changed by being burned. It is the Suchness that is immortal. To know this, a person must awaken to the fact they are not distinct."

This is essential! It is, I think, the recognition of Oneness, non-duality, the Suchness is 'immortal' or maybe a better word might be perpetual, everlasting, as immortal has too many connotations of never-ending human life for the essence of Suchness.

If you can experience this, truly recognize it to be true, you are in Tao,

for that you need to increase your Awareness, which I think may be The reason for our existence, enhance or increase Awareness/Consciousness, really expand, beyond humanness,

which is not say that seeking Consciousness must be expanded to attain immortality, in this I can find reason in the opinion of old masters that immortality ( of Awareness, not of physicality...? ) is an aberration, as it defies the natural cycle of the elements/phases/movements, but maybe the spark of consciousness exists through all that, beyond it, I don't know...

Does the point of view change if you see Wuji not as nothingness but as potential, as yet unmanifested everythingness?

∞Nelida

nothingness, emptiness, potential, void, source, a dimension beyond our universe,,,,,

"Being one with the tao is called being dead"

been reading sartre?

Not yet , but now I may.

I like Nelidas open mind about the issue.

It really is the fairest to the set of all views.

But sigh, now I have to look up wuji

:)

Have a nice weekend Zero.

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

All answers have been different on this thread, thus the illustration of what happens when an individual gives a subjective explanation of an objective and enigmatic concept like "Taoism"...

"Taoism", to me at least, is inherently paradoxical, and thus canot be fully comprehended with a linearly based thinking mind. One can whiddle away at it, but they may find that it is an onion that is infinitely large.

Yes, there are methods of "practice" for Taoism, but perhaps those are just a means of satisfying the "mind" while slowly getting it out of the way?

"Immortality" is another "linear-time" based concept, and "time" can certainly be perceived in many, many ways.

Which makes me think of "past" lives... Perhaps "parallel" lives? Perhaps one's "soul" is just a spark from "infinite" consciousness. The aspect of "shen" that is simply living out an emotional experience?

The mind is eager to "learn" new things and apply them, but what is the rush?

Perhaps none of it exists, and we are simply a manefestation of the collective of humanity up until this "point" in time? Like a pebble that started rolling down a snow-covered mountain, that is now a humungous snowball that is ever-growing.

There are few answers, and many questions.

In my own personal experience, I have witnessed the tangible "benefits" that Taoism offers to me. I rarely "meditate" in the traditional sense. In general, I try to immerse myself in the energy of a taoist "expression" and then compare to myself and see where the "conflict" points might be. To me, Taoism encourages one to TRULY know themselves. To understand their emotions, and in a way give tremendous personal insight into "reality creation". I do not mean this in the "New Agey", Intention a new car and get it, kind of way. More in a transcendental way. Through the process of understanding "self", one can more easily understand his/her surroundings. Life takes on a more "complex" perspective, yet, it seems to slow down and true "clarity" it experienced.

Once the mind gets a taste of that "drug", it will magically actually work FOR someone, instead of creating "road blocks" to overcome.

To me, life is a continuing series of emotional experiences. Our world is colored by our perceptions and the filters we wear. It is conceivable that one can remove these "filters" and witness the "world" for what it really is. Though, I propose that it isn't the "world" that changes, but one's ability to consciously perceive it.

Extrapolating this idea, the "Tao" has always been there, one only neds to realize it.

Lad

:blush: Stosh :)

I LIKE your view Lad LCH,

"To me, Taoism encourages one to TRULY know themselves. To understand their emotions, and in a way give tremendous personal insight into "reality creation". I do not mean this in the "New Agey", Intention a new car and get it, kind of way. More in a transcendental way. Through the process of understanding "self", one can more easily understand his/her surroundings. Life takes on a more "complex" perspective, yet, it seems to slow down and true "clarity" it experienced.

Once the mind gets a taste of that "drug", it will magically actually work FOR someone, instead of creating "road blocks" to overcome. "

yes! everything happens for you, not to you, if you learn to perceive it this way and can act accordingly :)

∞Nelida

Guest RBSA

Immortality is when I have took control of my karma so I won't have to choose to go back to Earth to pay it off. Also, I find immortality as becoming a Son of God just like Christ is. This is different from becoming one with God. Becoming One with God means you become a part of God losing your personality, ect. I don't believe this was the intention for us humanoids. Instead we're suppose to realize that we're creators. Of course if you never experienced your own "I am", the God of your microcosm. You'll easily want to be one with Source. Being one with God is usually called the path of saints and that is what Buddhists are aiming for hence enlightenment. Taoists aim for immortality of themselves and take on the true inheritance of us. I believe there is a purpose for everything. Becoming One with Source or God. I do not believe is our original plan. Many masters or immortals will probably agree with me. Immortals have intense amount of power like Jesus did but they're aren't allowed to use it unless it is to help mankind evolve, hence Jesus. Think about how many immortals come out and show off their abilities just to show off. This troubles a lot of skeptics because we're like oh you don't have abilities but an immortal will laugh because he does not care for petty judgment. Plus the number one rule is silence. I bet there are many immortal but they keep to themselves and act as normal people. Kinda like angel incarnates if you know some as I do.

I sent you a private message .

This is the biggest problem i got . This I am thing .