Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

in need of a new tao te ching translation?

so i am wondering if you guys could help me find a different translation of the tao te ching. I usually read john c h wu's translation. but i am getting tired of that one. was wondering if anyone could recommend a philosophical translation. i really want to stay away from the religious translations.

Thanks

I think my translation in the Tao Te Ching section is philosophical. I don't think it may be very suitable for western taste.... :)

Edited by ChiDragon

was wondering if anyone could recommend a philosophical translation.

This is a philosophical translation by Hall and Ames. The translation is a little too intellectual for me but it has some nice (and dry) philosophical discussion and commentary.

I'm much more into poetic translations and spiritual/cultivation aspects of the classic.

I like this translation by Hu Xuezhi. Master Hu is a Daoist practitioner and looks at the text from the perspective of personal and human cultivation.

so i am wondering if you guys could help me find a different translation of the tao te ching. I usually read john c h wu's translation. but i am getting tired of that one. was wondering if anyone could recommend a philosophical translation. i really want to stay away from the religious translations.

Thanks

Henricks is the next best translation. John C. H. Wu is considered the best by a large number of people, especially academics. It's my favorite and it's been my go-to translation for over 20 years now. It was the second translation I ever read, Stephen Mitchell being the first (run from that one as fast as you can.)

Aaron

Sign in to follow this