CrunchyChocolate555

Liver qi stagnation

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone here knew of any ways to overcome liver qi stagnation. I was diagnosed by 2 separate acupuncturists as having a fairly bad case of it, and it hasn't improved at all now after 2.5 months of herbs, perfect diet, exercise, qigong, bagua and hsing-I. I do have anger issues, not major IMO, but I do on the other hand have a lot of repressed frustration that I'm working on.

Are there any specific exercises or other things I might try to get the stagnation out? I am we'll familiar with Bruce Frantzis' water method but have never tried it on my liver for the simple fact that I have so many blockages above it that it literally takes me a few hours to get anywhere below my neck..

Many thanks.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone here knew of any ways to overcome liver qi stagnation. I was diagnosed by 2 separate acupuncturists as having a fairly bad case of it, and it hasn't improved at all now after 2.5 months of herbs, perfect diet, exercise, qigong, bagua and hsing-I. I do have anger issues, not major IMO, but I do on the other hand have a lot of repressed frustration that I'm working on.

Are there any specific exercises or other things I might try to get the stagnation out? I am we'll familiar with Bruce Frantzis' water method but have never tried it on my liver for the simple fact that I have so many blockages above it that it literally takes me a few hours to get anywhere below my neck..

Many thanks.

Beet juice 2x day for a week...

Juice with lots of super greens and green apple...

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

Many thanks.

Liver problem is a matter of life and death. TCM or Chi Kung takes awhile to take care of the problem. BTW The acupuncturists might not have the same training as TCM doctors have. It is better to see a western doctor to get a blood test for a more accurate diagnostic analysis.

• Like 2

Really useful informative thread here with lots and lots of info posted by Gerard:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/20751-work-the-essence-of-your-ling-spirithigh-consciousness/?hl=liver

Here's some of the liver info:

1. Green spirit (wood, liver)

The hun is a slightly more materialized psychospiritual substance than the shen. Although they live quite close to heaven in the upper spirit levels of the mountain, a bit of yin sediment infiltrates the hun’s yang. This infiltration of matter and vapor into the pure white light of the shen creates the hun. The bit of matter makes the hun more susceptible to the pull of gravity and the emotional life. Pure spirit becomes cloudy as we drift down through the upper soul realm towards the earth. The pure, clear insight flash of the shen becomes shaded and colored by refraction and reflection as it enters the world of dreams, visions, and the imagination.

In human beings, the hun represent the psychological faculty of vision, imagination, clear direction, and the capacity for justice. They endow us with the ability to discern our path, stay clear in our direction, imagine possibilities, move forward toward our goals, and take a stand for what we believe is right. While the activity of the imagination, especially day or nighttime dreams, is energized by the coming and going of the shen, it is also influenced by the airy hun who follow the shen as they fly between the earth and heaven.
The hun spirit is related to:

* Element: wood
* Organ: liver
* Emotion: anger
* Psychological functions: vision, imagination, direction, decision-making
* Psychospiritual issue: finding true path
* Cosmological associations: clouds, mists, tree branches
* Chakra: sixth - Third Eye: Perception
* Alchemical virtues: benevolence

Signs and Symptoms of Hun Disturbances

There are two basic categories of hun disturbances. One is an excess pattern, the other a deficiency pattern. Sometimes a person will have a mixture of both. This mixed pattern most often shows up in women and often correlates with the menstrual cycle. In the excess pattern, people often feel angry and experience life as one injustice after another. Whichever way they turn, there seems to be a brick wall, and they often inappropriately express extreme emotion. In the deficiency pattern, people feel timid, depressed, and confused. They lack emotional expression and are usually too weak to even try to start a project, and if they do make an attempt, they often cannot get past the decision making stage.

Common Symptoms

* depression
* insomnia/excess dreaming/absence of dreams
* erratic emotions
* disorientation/ disorganization
* repressed emotion
* excess sleeping
* vague anxieties, especially at night
* digestive disturbances related to emotional upset
* lack of clear vision on physical or psychological level
* outbursts of anger

Spirit Level Signs

* timidity, no ability to take a stand
* lack of color to life
* wandering aimlessly with no direction
* starting projects but moving on before they are done
* always running into brick walls; can’t seem to get anywhere
* obsession with injustice, which interferes with moving ahead with life

Possible Causes

* constitutional or karmic issues that are part of person’s work in this lifetime
* exposure to violence, drug abuse, or alcoholism in family during childhood
* lack of guidance and direction from family
* recreational drug use especially alcohol and marijuana
* malnutrition, eating disorders, anemia
* repressed emotions, especially anger
* exposure to environmental toxins or toxins at the work place, i.e. paint and paint thinner, industrial cleaning products, artist’s materials, urban pollution

Ways to Cultivate the Hun Spirit

When the liver is disturbed, the hun scatter and the soul is confused and disorganized. Acupuncture and acupressure are effective ways to heal and strengthen liver function. If you have a history of drug use or alcoholism, or if you have or have had hepatitis, a well-trained acupuncturist can help you cleanse and tonify your liver so your hun will have a peaceful home and resting place in your body.

It is crucial to clear the bodymind of toxic substances and to recognize alcohol and mind altering drugs as the potent soul disturbing influences they are. If you have an ongoing problem with drugs or alcohol, Twelve Step Programs such as AA or NA will help you let go of these self-destructive behaviors as well as regain a connection to the light of your own spirit.

Liver cleansing and tonifying herbs are also extremely potent ways to heal. Dandelion, peppermint, cheladonium, and milk thistle are effective and safe herbs that can be taken over long periods of time. Look for organic, wild-crafted herbs, available at most health food stores.

* Dandelion is an overall liver cleanser and tonic. It is particularly effective for PMS mood swings accompanied by bloating and breast tenderness.
* Peppermint is a mood elevating, invigorating herb that will also help with digestive disturbances, bloating, and poor appetite. Take as a tea and drink freely throughout the day.
* Cheladonium is one of the best overall liver tonics. It should be taken as a tincture -- a few drops in a tablespoon of water -- three times a day before meals, and it will quickly clear digestive and appetite disturbances, enhance clarity of vision, and ease emotional strain.
* Milk thistle is the premier herb for anyone who has been exposed to toxic chemicals and should be taken for at least two months after exposure. In addition, for people who work with chemicals or are routinely exposed to pollution, milk thistle can be taken on a regular basis with a one-week break every six weeks.

Visionary healer Rudolph Steiner points to the healing influence of light and color in working on the astral or soul realms. The hun, as the agents of clear sight and unclouded vision, are especially receptive to work with active imagination. It often helps entice the hun back to the bodymind if a person takes the time to paint pictures of their dreams and fantasies and meditate on these inner images.

• Like 4

Is this showing up in other areas?

1. Liver is paired to Gall Gladder: Do you have swelling in those areas in the head (headache usually perimetering the ears)?

2. Liver assists the stomach: burps, reflux feeling?

This is just to get you to recognize your bodies response to what is going on beyond just the liver.

I would slightly cup (concave) my right hand and then slap the liver/gallbladder area about 20 times. Does it cause you to cough, burp, have a bad taste in your mouth, etc?

If it is not this bad, then on each exhale, imagine turbid Qi as blackness coming out of the area. Or think of a jackhammer in inhale and dust arising on exhale. And as you progress through the 20, direct that flow down the right leg and outside of you.

Stop the slapping and continue to push out your leg to completely clear it. Maybe 5-10 breaths visualizing anything left over as going down the leg and outside of you.

Repeat 2 times.

Then finish it up with putting your hand over that area and smiling... and imagine the color Green. About 2 minutes. As you are ready to finish this, raise your hand off your liver area and move it in very slow circles.

Clock-wise or counterclockwise? Your body will tell you which way it wants it. Try one way and the other way and the path of least resistance will speak to you.

• Like 2

I second the suggestion for dandelion and peppermint, and add oatstraw to that mix.

Also, don't neglect kidney/water element, since liver is wood element and needs water to thrive. Dancing, spontaneity, playfulness, 5 animal frolics monkey exercise.

Spring water.

8 section brocade massages the organs and helps circulation which relieves all stagnations.

• Like 1

Liver problem is a matter of life and death. TCM or Chi Kung takes awhile to take care of the problem. BTW The acupuncturists might not have the same training as TCM doctors have. It is better to see a western doctor to get a blood test for a more accurate diagnostic analysis.

My acupuncturist always asks for test results. I wonder if that's part of her training. I do have the impression though that by the time test results show clear indications of things, more damage has been done than if you catch it prior.

• Like 2

Hi,

You have identified anger which can only be addressed via self-reflection. Often you can tell what is bothering you in the manner you criticize others. Call it a mirror.

In terms of directly addressing the stagnation, I would recommend the following in order of effectiveness:

1) Classical tuina from someone trained in preferably Northeast China. It has to be deep and it will take about four treatments yo see results if done correctly. Other, more superficial, body massage will also be effective but not as much.

2) Herbs: Milk Thistle, Dandelion, and certain Chinese herbal formulas such as Major Bupleurum, which you should use on the recommendation of a highly trained herbalist. I prefer the Milk Thistle and Dandelion in tincture form for initial treatments because of the concentration.

3) Qi Qong: self-massage, full body, gentle flow and twisting to move the blood. It should not be stiff. Yang Jwing-Ming provides good demonstrations.

4) Plenty of clean water during the day. 6 - 8 glasses.

5) A diet that is primarily green vegetables and whole grains. Keep it light so that you do not overload your system. Organic is best since it reduces the amount of chemicals that can become lodged in the liver.

6) No sugar or processed foods.

7) No cold drinks.

Each person is different, so you have to experiment a bit, but approach it methodically and you will hopefully find what works for you. I would like to emphasize that classical tuina is by far the best. Couple this with cupping and/or guasha if necessary.

• Like 1

1) Classical tuina from someone trained in preferably Northeast China. It has to be deep and it will take about four treatments yo see results if done correctly. Other, more superficial, body massage will also be effective but not as much.

2) Herbs: Milk Thistle, Dandelion, and certain Chinese herbal formulas such as Major Bupleurum

Tui Na and Taoist Medicine = good stuff

I like a formula called Super Milk Thistle X by Integrative Therapeutics. It has milk thistle, artichoke & dandelion in it with a bit of licorice. The milk thistle is bound to phosphatidylcholine for improved bioavailability. Not suggesting anyone here take this particular formula; I take it 4 times a year.

• Like 4

Wow thanks for all the wonderful recommendations everyone! My acupuncturist is actually also a TCM doc and also my teacher (learning Tui-Na/TCM from him). I have had a few treatments so far but We haven,t noted any major changes in my pulse yet (super tense). I'll definitely try some of the recommendations posted here- this was exactly what I was looking for.

So is the milk thistle preferably taken as a tincture? And also, is it possible to know if there is a related gallbladder problem? My teacher would just tell me to do more bagua/hsing-I until it goes away. :D

My acupuncturist always asks for test results. I wonder if that's part of her training. I do have the impression though that by the time test results show clear indications of things, more damage has been done than if you catch it prior.

Nowadays, the people in the TCM society are more wise and rely on the western test results, for a positive analysis, before treating their patients. It might cause more damages with a wrong treatment. Perhaps, it is better to be sure than it was late.

Greeting Cruhcy Chocolate.

I recomend you the book "Healing with whole Foods", which contains a section dedicated to to a "liver cleansing program" which takes about three months, and the author emphasizes the imprtance of cleansing the Liver.

Funny enough I was diagnosticated with Fire in the Liver, but I still did not start my cleansing program, I don`t know if it is the same as your case. But during a Vipassana retreat I actually had a dream that I had a tumour in that area, (I believe it is an energetic tumour). Any ways, I wil start the cleansing program and am making an approach on the Shen aspect also, which might be useful for you too.

I noticed that I felt alot of hate also, which was kiond of hidden but always present inside, and it seems that all my practice was actually expanding and feeding this baseless hatred. So I finally had an insight on the so.... so important concept of Yama and Niyama which are essential before an adept of Yoga starts his practical cultivation of Spirit. But it aint that easy, I had to discover what really is meant by equanimity (Wuwei - non action - or non reaction) and stay vigilent 24hrs a day... as soon as any hate thought appears, you should empty yourself energically and refute it straight away, before the seed grows... but the best way is to not fight against it, just simply don`t feed it. it is very tyring in the begginning, but you must be vigilent... Actually you should do this with any pre-conceptions of any kind with any person...

For example... No. 1) You see a person who does not have virtue developed on the street, he is clearly a show-off and you identify it. As soon as you start thinking something such as "what an idiot" or anything of that kind, you refrain yourself and empty your mind of such thoughts energetically, eventually you will cease to see his inferior personality and start seeing his hidden spiritual being, and feel compassion for the person, because she suffers for not having discovered this inner spiritual being.

No 2) (sorry for any Marxist materialst in the forum)... If you see someone of a lower social class, and start fitting that person in one thousand social theories thinking things such as "oh, this person suffers so much because of his terrible fate, the world is so unfair, he hsould fight for his rights..." and so on... immediately empty your self from those "preconceptions" enertgically... after slot of vigilancy 24 hrs a day, you will start seeing things without preconceptions of any kind.

note: I don`t mean that i don`t believe in any social theory. After you are established in Emptyness / equanimity, you can jump too and fro from the Emptyness-Contemplative-Spiritual perspective and the Knotted-congested theories and thoughts.

I say this because by what you said, you practice alot of Qigong, etc.. which means that it is important that you discover Equanimity before "increasing the energy in the system". Equanimity is like the railroad that takes to Spiritual Knowledge, if the train is not on track, the increase of energy will accentuate the errors.

this is the recipe for curing the Liver from the Shen point of view, to complement the Diet and more material treatment. You have Liver Stagnation. Preconceptions of ideas are nothing but a form of stagnation. Spiritual empty contemplation is pure fluidity.

When fighting any preconception and Rage attacks remember the wise frase "it is not the poison of the snakes that kills us, but the way our body reacts to it", and empty your self form the poison`s action, and remain present, and equanimous.

hope it helped/

best

• Like 2

So much good advice, and still perhaps something more in depth should be done. Adjusting eating habits, drinking habits and possibly relax a bit, take it easy and don't do so much physically exerting exercises. Sometimes with liver qi stagnation, qi gong may cause more wind in the body, than before and irritate the liver, causing more liver problems.

The twisting and turning of Bagua Zhang is beneficial indeed for the middle jiao, yet it may also be strenuous on the middle jiao if indeed the middle jiao is weak. A result may be knotted qi in the middle jiao, liver qi stagnation, digfestive problems, qi not settling down, yang qi rising, etc.

Some drinks to stay away from: any sweetened drinks, coffee, red teas (black teas), Cold drinks as well.

Teas that can be beneficial: Any flower teas, especially rose, jasmine, and chrysanthemum. NO SUGAR! WARM WATER IS GOOD TOO!

Flavors to stay away from: Any heating flavors: No Hot and Spicy stuff, fried foods out of the question, oily foods no good. Chives, Leeks, Garlic all heating and stimulate the liver. ( in liver qi stagnation, its not a good stimulation.)

Enjoy!

• Like 3

So much good advice, and still perhaps something more in depth should be done. Adjusting eating habits, drinking habits and possibly relax a bit, take it easy and don't do so much physically exerting exercises. Sometimes with liver qi stagnation, qi gong may cause more wind in the body, than before and irritate the liver, causing more liver problems.

The twisting and turning of Bagua Zhang is beneficial indeed for the middle jiao, yet it may also be strenuous on the middle jiao if indeed the middle jiao is weak. A result may be knotted qi in the middle jiao, liver qi stagnation, digfestive problems, qi not settling down, yang qi rising, etc.

Some drinks to stay away from: any sweetened drinks, coffee, red teas (black teas), Cold drinks as well.

Teas that can be beneficial: Any flower teas, especially rose, jasmine, and chrysanthemum. NO SUGAR! WARM WATER IS GOOD TOO!

Flavors to stay away from: Any heating flavors: No Hot and Spicy stuff, fried foods out of the question, oily foods no good. Chives, Leeks, Garlic all heating and stimulate the liver. ( in liver qi stagnation, its not a good stimulation.)

Enjoy!

I agree with all of your points. Let me underscore a few:

1) If there are indeed blockages that are causing stagnation, anywhere in the body, then increasing Qi buildup will be counterproductive and can actually cause further harm. Consider this similar to pouring more water down a toilet that is clogged. The water will backup and overflow. This is basic to classical Chinese medicine (which I want to differentiate from the post Communist revolution brand of Chinese medicine).

2) Anything warm is good for moving the blood, e.g. warm soups, water, or bath.

3) Hot and spicy will overheat and again be a potential cause for heat rising and causing harm.

Best to relax, moderate exercise to keep blood and qi moving, and deep, whole body, massage (tuina) for the fastest, most effective and longest lasting results. Herbs and acupuncture help with moving the blood and eliminating toxins but its effects are nominal compared to the action of tuina, cupping and quasha when and where appropriate.

Good luck!!

• Like 3

My own case of Liver Qi stagnation was severe and of long standing. It goes back to Western medical mistreatment of what, from Chinese medical perspective, would be a simple kidney/spleen or stomach deficiency. A matter which could have been easily and effectively treated by something like Liu Zun Zi Tang. Western medicine decided it was a hypoactive throid and anemia. The result was that from 5 or so years of age, I received daily doses of iron, iodine and thyroxine, for longer or shorter periods. The Iron I remember went on for years. Since I have vivid memories of childhood going back to three or so years of age, I remember both the iron and iodine, they were given at meals with my milk and they made the milk taste strange. I learned of the thyroxine years later from my Mother when she filled in the details. The result was a very bad case of Liver Fire Blazing and probably insulting my Lungs, naturally I had gusher nosebleeds which made me even more anemic. Which got me more iron. Ironic one might say as a witty turn of phrase. My body reacted to this by craving everything cold in reach, which by the time that I was 11 resulted in the curious fact that, while I was born and raised in a warm sunny climate, I wore heavy jackets and coats year round because I felt so cold. I won't go into all the details, but suffice it to say that none of this was very helpful to my long term well being and it has taken a lot of will power and determination, all in the service of a powerful sense of duty, to live as long as I have.

Looking at all that I have seen of advice posted here, I certainly would feel angry and frustrated, even with a mild case of LIver Qi stagnation. As it is, back in June of 2011, I finally found a relatively easy to obtain, easy to use treatment in the form of Xue Fu Zhu Yu Wan and while it may not work in all cases, it certainly worked amazingly well in my own. It works well, it works quickly and it works without changes in diet, or exotic Qi exercises. After 50 years of the toll that that my seriously out of whack liver and its complications had, I can assure you that I would not have had to emotional resources to do any of the exotic practices recommended here, so its a good thing that it worked well and easily.

Just to make it clear, since I discovered that I had Liver stagnation about 23 years ago, I have tried a wide range of Chinese treatments including all of the standard prescriptions for expelling Liver Heat, Gallbladder Heat, Qi and blood stagnation etc. and this is the only one that has worked effectively on the emotional aspects of Liver Qi stagnation. Things like Qi Gong, meditation, acupuncture and massage might produce some temporary result, but were not effective for anything but days or hours. Nothing worked like this stuff:

http://www.maxnature.com/xuefuzhuyuwan1.html

This is the brand I use and the supplier I use.

People being different this may not work for everyone and in my case I also have to take a medicine that expels Lung Cold to get the best results, but since I have been taking them the difference is like night and day. More importantly since the emotional symptoms are significantly diminished, it even looks like I will be able to stop taking them at some point and be completely free of symptoms.

I'm just posting my own experiences here and if someone wants to ignore them, I wish them well, but if didn't know what I do now, and was still stuck where I was before, if I read this thread and its recommendations and saw what I have written above I would certainly give it a try.

If I have time, I will try to answer questions related to what I have posted, with a case as difficult as mine was, there were certainly other things that may have contributed to the ultimate success of the Xue Fu Zhu Yu Wan, but I have no intent to waste time with long winded discussions from people who don't believe that a successful treatment can be so simple.

• Like 4

I have a rather sever case of this too, stemming from an injury to my abdomen (shao fu area) on the left side.. Qi has stagnated all up the left side of my body, causing a range of symptoms (and at times a lot of pain). I have a fantastic TCM doctor but this injury has been slow to heal with herbs and needles. Spring Forest qigong has helped a whole lot over the last 12 months, I've made huge ground but feel I have a way to go. I'm just about to start another 100 days of Qigong, this time I'm going to focus mainly on specific exercises for the liver. When I first began SFQ it felt like my chest was literally ripping open, qi was very constricted.. Reading this thread inspires me to train harder, I wish you guys luck in recovery.

• Like 1

Hello CHunky, consider this message a continuity of my last one...

First of all, when I mentioned that you need to actively engage yourself in abandoning the hatred thoughts, I did NOT mean that you must fight with them, you should not, in any stance fight with your own negative thoughts, for you will feed them with more energy and produce more mental tension and stagnation, simply observe them without trying to dominate them. When you get lost in them, then you must actively remind yourlef not to react to them and just observe them,, in this way you will start developing equanimity, voidness, wu-wei.

About the Qigong practice, I recomend that you practice a relaxation technique before your practice, so as to produce SONG or deep relaxation. then you should try to maintain song or deep relaxation throuout your practice, this song is essential to dissovle stagnation on mental, psychic and physical levels, thus unobstructing the Liver. Actuallym you should start developing Song thoughout your entire day. Remember, Equanimity and Song are two essential features of a good qigong practice, especially to deobstruct the Liver. the Qigong practice will activate past karmas and negative tendencies, and you will neutralize them by staying equanimous and not reacting to them, if you practice qigong with no euqnaminity, nothing will be gained.

Another thing, alot of obstructions take plate on the Pelvic area (thankyou Gerard for past advice on this), on the sexual region, which is a place where the Liver Meridian is very active. Alot of blockages have their roots in sexuality,m so during your relaxation technique eu could relax alot that area, includint the lower dantien, the pubic bone, the Hui Yin. Mains tain relaxed througut the day. However you are in a sexual situation, try and notice if you are "holding back" your sexual organ, and then consciously develop Song on that area, relaxation. Acept desire, feel it (but not necessary react to it). Sexual obstructions can also be cleansed if you imagine your self naked when you are walking through town, or if it is not illegal and not too cold, STAY NAKED and walk around town, rsrsrs, do not contract and hide your sexual organ.

Another very important place to relax and develop song is in your abdomen flanks, laterally in between your ribs and your pelvis, alot to do with Liver.

any questions you may PM me...

good luck!

• Like 2

Also will add, when you're relaxing in song, think of your nerves (which are connected to liver/wood element) as plant roots. When dry, they clutch the earth. You want to relax the roots, like they just received pure water, expanding and drinking, and releasing control.

• Like 1

Just to make it clear, since I discovered that I had Liver stagnation about 23 years ago, I have tried a wide range of Chinese treatments including all of the standard prescriptions for expelling Liver Heat, Gallbladder Heat, Qi and blood stagnation etc. and this is the only one that has worked effectively on the emotional aspects of Liver Qi stagnation. Things like Qi Gong, meditation, acupuncture and massage might produce some temporary result, but were not effective for anything but days or hours. Nothing worked like this stuff:

http://www.maxnature.com/xuefuzhuyuwan1.html

This is the brand I use and the supplier I use.

People being different this may not work for everyone and in my case I also have to take a medicine that expels Lung Cold to get the best results, but since I have been taking them the difference is like night and day. More importantly since the emotional symptoms are significantly diminished, it even looks like I will be able to stop taking them at some point and be completely free of symptoms.

I'm just posting my own experiences here and if someone wants to ignore them, I wish them well, but if didn't know what I do now, and was still stuck where I was before, if I read this thread and its recommendations and saw what I have written above I would certainly give it a try.

If I have time, I will try to answer questions related to what I have posted, with a case as difficult as mine was, there were certainly other things that may have contributed to the ultimate success of the Xue Fu Zhu Yu Wan, but I have no intent to waste time with long winded discussions from people who don't believe that a successful treatment can be so simple.

Is there a similar formation more specifically for gallbladder??

Self-massage the whole length of your Liver channel. Kindly, not aggressively.

Any place along that route that you find tenderness, soreness, knots: spend extra time gently massaging that area.

Not a magic instant cure-all, but very helpful ime.

MsgAcuCh_Liv.jpg

• Like 3

Is there a similar formation more specifically for gallbladder??

First it is my understanding that symptoms involving the gallbladder almost always are manifestations of an underlying liver problem. This is because the gallbladder can act as a safety valve for the liver. For that reason most formulations address both, but some do concentrate on correcting gallbladder problems and digestion problems that can arise from such imbalances.

If your concern is with digestive problems or with gallbladder problems the Bupleurum (Chai Hu) formulas are effective. In the late 80s I started to experience problems, both along the Gallbladder Meridian and with acid reflux. Beginning in 1991I started working a lot with both Lungdan Xiegan Wan and Xiaoyao Wan, I also used other formulae during to improve digestion and by '98 or so my digestion was great and so I thought that things were more or less cleared up.

The two formulae I mentioned can improve digestion, I found early on for example, that taking Xiaoyao Wan before meals prevented any post meal indigestion, as well as those wonderfully disconcerting episodes where you are awakened from a sound sleep choking on stomach acid.

However, none of these addressed the emotional aspects of liver qi stagnation which is really the most important aspect for long term because the problems can be very troublesome and emotionally debilitating. More importantly the existence of such profound imbalances may make it hard to alleviate them on your own, even with very powerful techniques at your disposal.

• Like 1

if you have the SFQ materials I would highly, highly recommend the "Harmony of the Universe" exercise. I've been focusing on it for the last month or so and I'm finding it incredibly helpful in resolving my liver qi stagnation. I'd also recommend massaging along the Liver channel as Trunk mentioned. Focus on the tender spots you find and that will be a great help.

• Like 1

That's very interesting about the importance of having free-flow of energy in the groin area.

I had an incident back around 10 or so years ago which caused injury to my groin and I am wondering if this is not a causal or at least attributing factor to my liver stagnation.

Basically what happened is I waited too long to urinate, and it caused some injury to my uro-genital tract (caused a spermatocele to form in both my testes, and messed up my bladder).

As far as I know, there is no known cure for this aside from surgery, which is not recommended because the problem is not really debilitating per se.

BUT, it did cause a whole lot of tension to form in this area which I hold to this day, and I do know it is habitually contracted almost all the time. It's almost impossible to just "let go". Whenever I try, things start to spasm wildly, major discomfort and frustration ensues and I pretty much give up right on the spot.

Hello CHunky, consider this message a continuity of my last one...

First of all, when I mentioned that you need to actively engage yourself in abandoning the hatred thoughts, I did NOT mean that you must fight with them, you should not, in any stance fight with your own negative thoughts, for you will feed them with more energy and produce more mental tension and stagnation, simply observe them without trying to dominate them. When you get lost in them, then you must actively remind yourlef not to react to them and just observe them,, in this way you will start developing equanimity, voidness, wu-wei.

About the Qigong practice, I recomend that you practice a relaxation technique before your practice, so as to produce SONG or deep relaxation. then you should try to maintain song or deep relaxation throuout your practice, this song is essential to dissovle stagnation on mental, psychic and physical levels, thus unobstructing the Liver. Actuallym you should start developing Song thoughout your entire day. Remember, Equanimity and Song are two essential features of a good qigong practice, especially to deobstruct the Liver. the Qigong practice will activate past karmas and negative tendencies, and you will neutralize them by staying equanimous and not reacting to them, if you practice qigong with no euqnaminity, nothing will be gained.

Another thing, alot of obstructions take plate on the Pelvic area (thankyou Gerard for past advice on this), on the sexual region, which is a place where the Liver Meridian is very active. Alot of blockages have their roots in sexuality,m so during your relaxation technique eu could relax alot that area, includint the lower dantien, the pubic bone, the Hui Yin. Mains tain relaxed througut the day. However you are in a sexual situation, try and notice if you are "holding back" your sexual organ, and then consciously develop Song on that area, relaxation. Acept desire, feel it (but not necessary react to it). Sexual obstructions can also be cleansed if you imagine your self naked when you are walking through town, or if it is not illegal and not too cold, STAY NAKED and walk around town, rsrsrs, do not contract and hide your sexual organ.

Another very important place to relax and develop song is in your abdomen flanks, laterally in between your ribs and your pelvis, alot to do with Liver.

any questions you may PM me...

good luck!

• Like 1