RiverSnake

Ancestral Work and Building your Altar

I keep my Ancestor shrine, make offerings, put on plays with my daughter for them {she loves it for some reason} and play music for them.

It has become a very rewarding and interesting experience. Keeping the shrine brings up a lot of questions about the afterlife, the nature of the soul, rebirth and so on... It has also been refining my appreciation of my life and existence, and fostering a deeper desire to live with dignity and honour as a representation of those who went before me.

I feel that it helps develop ones sensitivity to the spirits, as I have started having more surprise encounters than I used to. I used to be able to make contact with a spirit via some effort, but random or uncalled experiences with spirits were very rare.

I highly encourage this practice.

• Like 7

Interesting thread. As as adjunct to ancestor worship, one could make an altar for one's "spiritual ancestors" that have passed down the Teachings from the Tradition one practices. Pictures, statues, sacred objects, etc. can be placed on the altar with candles, flowers, water, incense etc. Praying and making offerings at such an altar can be a great way to invoke the energy of the Invisible Masters who have gone before us. The fact that they were once human makes them more sympathetic to our plight then, say, the Angels and Gods who, for lack of a better word, really don't care too much about us as individuals.

In my humble opinion, this would be a more fruitful endeavour than propitiating one's dead relatives who are not necessarily enlightened beings or even any more wise than they were while alive simply because they have died.

• Like 3

Good points there OldGreen, there's bound to be practioners in your family line. If not in your parents then maybe further away. You may need to dig deeper into your own culture if you can't find any in your family histories. I've been thinking of my ancestors some times, but thinking about it I'm getting inspired to do more.

Find your ancestors, Old Green.. they may well have nothing to do at all with your physical bloodline.

Pray for them to reveal themselves to you, whilst honoring them and thanking them, or do some shamanic journeying on it, or whatever proccess you use to allow insight revelation.

Its so easy to be literal, I fall into it all the time and I'm always "Oh yeah!" with relief when I'm nudged out of it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input of your experiences guys. Although I have yet to do any ancestral work these are some of the benefits I have heard that come from working with them:

------------------------

1. Ancestors are the most motivated to work with you of all spirits because they are invested in seeing you be successful. Thus they are very protective and will protect you from malevolent influences to the best of there ability. As theurgy mentioned, some spirits like Angels "don't care" because they are so far separated from the human condition, ancestors are the opposite and when you develop a good relationship with them they will go to town to help and protect you.

2. Ancestral work is considered a good starting point before working with other spirits because your ancestors can act as bouncers and protect you from spirits whom may disguise themselves as benevolent.

3. Although this may not necessarily be considered a benefit, I think it is beneficial to express "gratitude" to ones ancestors, given that without there work you would not exist. It benefits both parties as anyone whom has practiced devotion knows.

4. Ancestors have knowledge and experience and can give advice. Also I have heard that if you are drawn to Esotericism then it is likely that if you go far enough "back" you also have past family members whom were practitioners as well and this can be a powerful connection to have for obvious reasons.

My 2 cents, Peace

Yea, sticking up for the Angels here, these beings reserve judgement. HAHAHA. They do not judge any one. They are beyond duality, so yes it can be 'hard' for them to relate to one's own inherited state of being, because they are 'perfect' in knowledge, design, and execution. They have no need to partake in the transgressions or experiments of life. They're glory and bodies are of a different accord, it seems. So yes, logically they would have a hard time automatically relating to a human stuck here on earth, seeking to survive. They are simply devoted to teaching and helping souls realize their fullest potential. It seems they do not care for much else. So be careful what you ask for, 'beings' are always listening, and some may honestly care while others may see you as a meal ticket.

• Like 1

As for ancestral work, YES! PLEASE DO SO! TAKE CARE OF YOUR ANCESTORS BY ALL MEANS NECESSARY! PLEASE!

I have seen many different people and dis-incarnate souls in the 'astral' who are seeking some kind of help or attention for their woes. I usually refer these people to the Goddess or angels who can help these beings transition over some how. One can easily read up on plenty of psychics who are constantly being pestered by people who have died tragically and are trying to contact the 'other side'. I have friends from many different back grounds and religions and it seems many have different customs for taking care of their ancestors.

I know Buddhist like to give alms and set out food for their ancestors. Mormon's believe in baptism's for the dead, a interesting belief concerning the alchemy of the soul and the baptism's ability to renew and purify one's subtle body. Strangely enough, I have actually talked to many people who have shared their experiences and dreams as well concerning baptism for their ancestors. Some ancestors accept it willingly, while some are happy where they are at, wherever that is in the void. Some people describe their ancestors in a heaven like place, while others describe their ancestors being stuck in a state of 'hell' due to their own indignation concerning the previous life they lived. Unfortunately this is a huge topic in Christian-dom and some people do not like the idea or consider it pagan. But if my ancestors asked me to do something for them, as many have, I would take heed. (http://carm.org/baptism-for-the-dead-in-1-corinthians-15-29)

As for the Immortals, I am not to sure what they are up to. It seems they are highly self-sufficient and are able to subsist without the need for assistance. They usually have HUGE heads as well. A lot of knowledge and wisdom.

None the less, connect with your ancestors and let them know you love them. If they are in need, they will reach out and will more than likely ask for assistance.

Also if your ancestors were involve in previous 'crafts' be careful concerning your ordeals with said relatives, even family can f*ck you over. My brother was once married to a spouse whose parents apparently offered their daughter up in a pact to some being. This being made it's pact known one night during a camping trip near a fire. Creepy sh*t. My brother ended up divorcing this wife because of that ordeal. Apparently her eyes changed and everything during the incident. ahaha.

https://familysearch.org/ <---- Good site to start.

Construct an astral temple space

you will not be sorry

Don't really have any kind of astral altar space, but naturally when I practice trance I do have a kind of home base that I always go to and chill at before I journey off into the woods. Perhaps I'll create an altar there.....currently physical space is at a shortage for me. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Recently was doing some trance work with my ancestors to help heal any negative patterns in my family history that have built up overt time. I was doing this work out of service more than anything....I did not really expect to receive any benefit for myself.

Boy was I mistaken....upon dissolving certain energies in my line I could feel the impact on my body.... blockages that I had been working on for years disappeared in seconds.

It's really changed my view on how connected we are on an energetic level to our ancestors and how there actions still effect us today on all levels. Anyone have similar experiences or do this kind of work?

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

Recently was doing some trance work with my ancestors to help heal any negative patterns in my family history that have built up overt time. I was doing this work out of service more than anything....I did not really expect to receive any benefit for myself.

Boy was I mistaken....upon dissolving certain energies in my line I could feel the impact on my body.... blockages that I had been working on for years disappeared in seconds.

It's really changed my view on how connected we are on an energetic level to our ancestors and how there actions still effect us today on all levels. Anyone have similar experiences or do this kind of work?

My 2 cents, Peace

Careful with that !

Careful with that !

Yeah, had to handle some pretty heavy energies, its always interesting to see how those things appear as images when in vision. Usually just bottle them up and send them somewhere where they can be recycled. A good cleansing is always 1st on the list afterwards. :)

My 2 cents, peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

My 2 cents, Peace

JAJ talks a lot about prenatal stuff that we have, and that needs healing as well. We bring their blockages and stuff along! So apparently it is a general view with medical qigong in china...

• Like 2

JAJ talks a lot about prenatal stuff that we have, and that needs healing as well. We bring their blockages and stuff along! So apparently it is a general view with medical qigong in china...

Awesome! :)

My 2 cents, Peace

They say we are "genetically predisposed" to certain ailments if our family has had it. Seems like there is also more to it than that.

How does this relate (the idea that our ancestors gave us certain problems or bad karma) to the ideas of different cultures where their ancestors are spirit helpers?

How does this relate (the idea that our ancestors gave us certain problems or bad karma) to the ideas of different cultures where their ancestors are spirit helpers?

Likely the same way that living parents and grandparents can have brought about some problems early in life, but still do help us out, as they are family :).

I'm not sure of any culture where they are not spirit helpers, accept perhaps a couple of religions.

• Like 4

I'm not sure of any culture where they are not spirit helpers, accept perhaps a couple of religions.

American. lol

• Like 2

The Ancestors watch in joy as we venerate them by mastering the various struggles we inherited, or meet.

My appreciation for ancestor work grows ever greater. Its amazing that some people think its a waste of time, or sort of 'low level' occult practice. It is really amazing, and seems to continually grow in strength...

Not all ancestral beings are in the category of 'the mighty dead' but some are... wow..

• Like 2

The Ancestors watch in joy as we venerate them by mastering the various struggles we inherited, or meet.

My appreciation for ancestor work grows ever greater. Its amazing that some people think its a waste of time, or sort of 'low level' occult practice. It is really amazing, and seems to continually grow in strength...

Not all ancestral beings are in the category of 'the mighty dead' but some are... wow..

Have those folks actually worked with the ancestors though? :) I find many magicians poo pooing practices which they have not tried (or tried once or twice).

• Like 3

Have those folks actually worked with the ancestors though? :) I find many magicians poo pooing practices which they have not tried (or tried once or twice).

probably not..

The christian hangover is strong in some magician circles as well, and to their victorian puritan sensibilities, the ancestor work is probably a bit to 'primitive' or mediumship like..

Sad for them..

• Like 2

It actually took me awhile before I could even do ancestral work. I was "blocked" and didn't even realize it do to all the "bad programming" that has filtered down into our society as a result of divisive religions. It took a bit of pathworking and many months of patience to "debug" myself before I could connect in any significant way.

The way our society always portrays the dead from a basis of fear has subconscious consequences that we don't even realize. Zombies, demons, vampires......etc.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

Growing up, I didn't even hear of the concept of God or Satan, until I was 11 years old. I had asked my parents what this halloween mask was that I had found on the ground. It was one of Satan apparently. So I asked who that was, then the whole God thing came up. Didn't hear about that concept again for quite some time.

Apparently this is sort of rare. Though we don't really talk about religion here in Canada, and if we do, well there are quite a few religions, with the cultural diversity and all.