Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

Can someone show me the Chinese translation for my name?

I don't trust any of those online sites...is anyone here able to translate this:

Songtsan CrazyFox Tiger Ali

Songtsan 松赞

CrazyFox 瘋狐

Tiger 虎

Ali 啊里

So, if I write it, do I write it this way: 松赞 瘋狐 虎啊 里

or this way?:

松赞

瘋狐

啊里

or do both work? I have almost no knowledge of this stuff?

Edited by Songtsan

So, if I write it, do I write it this way: 松赞 瘋狐 虎啊 里

or this way?:

松赞

瘋狐

啊里

or do both work? I have almost no knowledge of this stuff?

You write it this way:

松赞 瘋狐 虎 啊里 with no space in between. The spaces shown here are just for mental separation of the each name.

To be exact, you'll write it this way from left to right:

松赞瘋狐虎啊里

or you can write it vertically:

You welcome....!!! :)

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

I've always wondered if there was a way to write my name (hod) in Chinese. Since it's not a normal english name (or word for that matter), I have a feeling the answer is no, but it's worth a try.

I've always wondered if there was a way to write my name (hod) in Chinese. Since it's not a normal english name (or word for that matter), I have a feeling the answer is no, but it's worth a try.

Does your name mean anything? That would probably be the key to translating it...

If there is no translation, then, phonetic or pinyin was used to just for the pronouncattion. For example, Ali has no translation but 啊里 was used to have the closest phonetic for it.

In your case, 亥(hi) probably is the closest so far for it. I need to do more research.

Edited by ChiDragon

I would love to learn Chinese someday - sounds intense though...not necessarily to write it, just to speak it - such a beautiful language.

The name "hod" actually doesn't have a meaning behind it, besides the ones I found out way after acquiring the name (such as the blind Norse archer god). The pronunciation is much like "hot," but instead of the "t" sound there is a "d" sound (so /häd/ as defined by Wikipedia’s pronunciation).

Thank you ChiDragon for the old college try.

Might you translate it as 厚德 (Hou de)? Deep/Profound Virtue

Alternatively, 侯德 (also Hou de) -- this Hou being a Chinese surname

There is a brick Hod? And a man who carries it is a hod carrier. Your name is a device that facilitates the building of houses (in the UK)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_hod

hehe, OK.. my Chinese isn't that deep but if we turn to Mr internet, 畚 ben, pronounced "bern", is a straw basket, hamper, or hod. It would certainly be a simple representation...

Interesting thread, thank you for resurrecting it :-)

Feeling a need to practice my Chinese, aside from all the translation of ancient texts.. this seemed like a useful way to do so :)

well, ok, what's a soaring crane? (I do have it in a book and some other documents, but not online. He Xiang Zhuang Gong -- It's not a name I made up; it's one of the earliest qigong systems I learned and when I joined TTB, it was my main activity)

Thanks!

PS -- I've heard that in Japanese, John Wayne is called something like "The Man sitting in a Tree" because phonetically, that sounds as close as they can get to his name. So, ChiDragon wrote:

For example, Ali has no translation but 啊里 was used to have the closest phonetic for it.

And I'm wondering what 啊里 actually translates to. That isn't the pictogram for Li/fire from the Yijing

Most phonetic translations translate back to nonsense-English

ah is a particle used at the end of sentences to express excitement or affirmation

里 has/had 2 meanings: inside (originally the inner lining of clothing); and village/hometown/measure of distance (as in "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" 千里之行始于足下)

I would have translated it to 阿里, but still no less nonsense in English.

Soaring Crane...

I'm not familiar with the naming of such systems.. so I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I suddenly feel ill-equipped to help, and maybe someone else will step in.. but as far as I can tell, 鹤翔 He Xiang meaning Crane Soaring/Ascending, and 庄 Zhuang meaning village/farm, a literal translation would be

鹤翔庄(气)功 -- Crane Ascending Village (Qi)Gong

It's possibly translated simply to "Soaring Crane" because "Crane Ascending Farm" doesn't sound as good? Whereas in Chinese, Hexiangzhuang rolls off the tongue nicely, and the zhuang adds an earthy element to the name.

So if I'm not wrong, Soaring Crane would be 翔鹤 Xiang He

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 1

Incidentally, I'm looking for a new qigong, would you recommend 鹤翔庄? I'm not exactly new to qigong, but am also not experienced. Having looked it up just now it's apparently very popular in China...

• Like 1

Yes, without hesitation, an excellent system that starts with maintenance of health but can go much further. I think it needs to be learned from a teacher, though. Books and videos won't work. There's an Academy in Beijing I believe

The practice has a very interesting history, look into it a bit

Thank you for reply. I'll look into the it in my books

I'm not sure that it would translate well into a usable Chinese name, but we might translate as

溪旁 -- stream/creekside

河旁 -- riverside

Another Chinese speaker might have better luck though...my brain is used up today :wacko:

• Like 2

Ok so this has me curious... my name is Creighton which means by the creek or by the river.

Is there a Chinese equivalent to this? Thanks.

Chinese equivalent tends to just use phonetic approximation.

Creighton is: 克赖顿 - Ke Lai Dun

You could choose something else which is equivalent to the meaning of 'by the creek' but it would never get back to meaning Creighton.

Sign in to follow this