BaguaKicksAss

Living off grid

Bah, solar power and modern appliances, that's cheating! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1itjmq_ben-fogle-new-lives-in-the-wild-series-2-3of4-leyte-philippines-720p-hdtv-x264-aac-mvgroup-org_shortfilms :D

I could do it... for a few months.

Yes, it's cheating, I know. :blush: But as I have to earn some money to maintain myself, I have to use computers and internet. (I sell my illustrations online)

• Like 1

Any fool can be uncomfortable.

As long as one has back up systems then enjoy the benefits of 'on grid' living whilst it is available.

There's an entire package of barking mad redneck bigotry packaged up with a lot of these 'sustainable lifestyle' merchants.

That guy Bunker who wrote that ( excellent) off grid book has since authored some pretty dubious 'novels'.

His annual get-togethers are beyond strange too.

We spent some time back in the late eighties up in Montana with a community of off gridders.

Those were good people by and large but with a phenomenally restricted and restrictive negative-world-view.

Those places are OK just so long as one is prepared to hang up one's critical acuity at the gate upon entering.

That or bite your tongue quite a lot during conversations.

If TSHTF the only viable option is sustainable communities.

Isolationists may as well put up a sign directing the looters to their door.

Those poor folks will be toast.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

So did anyone watch the video? :)

Apparently I shouldn't have made the joke because for some reason that is the new tangent. It was only a joke.

Apparently I shouldn't have made the joke because for some reason that is the new tangent. It was only a joke.

Interesting, I liked it. He wasn't in as rustic a place as I expected.

• Like 1

Ah, but that's so much better then! (I knew it was a joke, I would never be ashamed for looking into solar power. And you should be ashamed of using modern technologies like the interwebz as well!)

• Like 1

I'm on the offgrid folks' fb pages. Some really good stuff on there. Sure they are trying to sell property as their primary goal, but still good info and articles.

I still wouldn't mind a fimo clay (looking) house, I mean if I lived somewhere with a lot less rain, and much warmer climate ;)

desktop-1415118553.jpg

A great medium, imagine the free form possabilities !

osun-osgbo-sacred-grove-05.jpg

Oshogbo-152-M.jpg

(The interior of this is mind blowing - but can't find a pic today)

Oshogbo.jpg

Or even building with marsh reeds;

090422-ADB-499.jpg

935260_536571226384372_1051255878_n.jpg

• Like 2

Sweet .... I need that!

I still insist I am one up on most here. I am still on my 3rd lot of 2x battery and original 2 x panels (for near 30 years) ... thats it! and wiring and an inside camping a/c inverter. No other electronics. People here that have more complex set ups seem to always be having problems and faults (not surprised ... try asking a shop solar panel 'expert' or even installer what the connected diodes do, and if a panel can work that didnt by replacing a blown diode ).

A bit like my chimney where it goes through the roof ... never leaked in 15 years since installation. most other people's do, in that spot. When they ask why mine doesnt, I say " I didnt get a professional to do it , I did it."

The weird thing is, when I offered to fix theirs they opted instead for leaky pro .... I often get confused by people :unsure:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

Not 'here" but HERE ... that is 'there' not 'here' - to you ... but not 'here' ,but also HERE to me - get it ?

I only need a small array as I dont use much energy up . I think if I wanted a fridge (well, actually I dream of having a fridge ! ) I would run it off another panel and separate battery.

Others 'drop out' , move here, start collecting all sorts of electrical goods and technology and then complain their systems dont work good enough (and its too far from the movies, nightclubs, skate parks, .....

wtf.gif

• Like 1

Not 'here" but HERE ... that is 'there' not 'here' - to you ... but not 'here' ,but also HERE to me - get it ?

I only need a small array as I dont use much energy up . I think if I wanted a fridge (well, actually I dream of having a fridge ! ) I would run it off another panel and separate battery.

Others 'drop out' , move here, start collecting all sorts of electrical goods and technology and then complain their systems dont work good enough (and its too far from the movies, nightclubs, skate parks, .....

wtf.gif

I think if you checked again you might be able to find a fridge now. The industry is making some pretty energy efficient fridges now-a-days. Also, a fridge designed for an RV or Camper might be good as most work on both A/C and propane (if you have access to propane) so it could run off solar during the day and propane during the night.

And yes, it is hard giving up all the modern conveniences we have grown to not be able to live without. Some changes take more time than do others.

Interesting thread. We hope to move off grid in the future (6-7 years), for now our actual solution is optimal. I want to build most of my future house myself, huge challenge. As my wife is a bit older than me I hope she'll still be in for it when time will come, enough saving is the other interrogation... :)

Having an autonomous/passive house (about electricity, water and heating) with a serious veg garden sounds definitely like the way I want to live.

Gosh i'll miss strip clubs :s

• Like 2

Cloudy today , not much input into the batteries , that can be an issues at times as when you are just about to

• Like 3