Jetsun

Mingur Rinpoche before and after

Mingur Rinpoche is a famous Lama and successful author who one day decided to just walk off from his life and go on a three year wandering retreat not telling anyone where he was going http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2011/sep/22/mingyur-rinpoche-buddhist

This is him before he went

mingyurwithflower.jpg

Then this week he was spotted by someone who took some pics

mingyur-rinpoche-with-blue-sky.jpg

mingyur-rinpoche-outside-cave.jpg

He looks completely different to me :o

• Like 3

Much more joyous. He seems sharper/smarter in the first, and more... happy in the second two.

I recently spent 6 days in silent retreat and the change I felt, and others noticed about me was dramatic.

I can only imagine the profound change a 3 year retreat would bring.

• Like 1

There are more pics and a letter he wrote here http://learning.tergar.org/2014/01/17/new-photos-and-letter-from-mingyur-rinpoche-on-retreat/

This is part of the letter he left:

"All the thoughts, destructive emotions, and suffering we encounter are, in essence, completely permeated by vast compassion. As a sign of this, we naturally wish to enjoy happiness and to be free of suffering. While all beings have great wisdom and compassion, this is not always apparent. This is simply because they have not recognized what they already have. Thus, aside from merely recognizing our own true nature, there isn’t the slightest thing to meditate on. Recognizing the importance of this, I have passed my days feeling joyful and content, wandering through the mountains and valleys and staying here and there. From my heart, I sincerely encourage all of you to practice diligently in this manner as well".

• Like 3

He is completely different! Good for him.

And beautiful place he is wandering in :wub:

this article is a hit piece on Tibetan Buddhism.

what are these "widespread allegations of corruption"?

And this article is saying going on retreat is rare, when its actually the most common thing for lamas.

So factually speaking, the article is wrong.

Edited by RongzomFan

this article is a hit piece on Tibetan Buddhism.

what are these "widespread allegations of corruption"?

And this article is saying going on retreat is rare, when its actually the most common thing for lamas.

So factually speaking, the article is wrong.

that Mary Finnigan thrives on unsavoury gossips surrounding the private lives of Tibetan teachers in the West.

Mingur Rinpoche has emerged after his 4 year retreat wandering in the Himalayas and living in caves 

11224777_1061644293859336_67099158491618

Apparently the first year was difficult due to health issues but after that it was "one of the best periods of my life"

• Like 2