Even then though thats only part of the story. The great forging together of the 3 spirits lets us become members of what we call the Mighty Dead. Where as ordinary people have little volition, awareness, control or understanding of the inner being, we slowly work towards Mastery, where we are capable of navigating the subtle realm, and we don't have to dissipate and unconsciously reincarnate.

so we are very careful not to ignore or reject the fetch. Its the foundation for all our later work. Many other traditions try to jump straight past the fetch.

Self control, strict morality, curbing or quashing natural instincts, concentration practices on upper realm affairs, well they work. You can go into samadhi, you can get blissed off your chops, you can chant constantly. You can learn to channel and heal with higher frequencies, all that stuff, but from our point of view, all that means nothing if it was not married to the fetch.

At death you will still be ignorant of the deeper parts of yourself. Your breath soul will still dissolve, and this lifes memories will submerge into the depths of the fetch, which waits with the dead in whatever realm it was heading towards until rebirth hitches another breath soul on to it and it all happens over again, unless the breath soul completes the great work.

Does the Deed Without A Name book discuss these aspects? Very interesting stuff, Seth!

yes ... it is very interesting to hear things set out in this way, I can relate to a lot of it.

Hmm I would probably say that this is only true in part. The deeper dreaming soul is not 'only animalistic' but is still quite amoral in ways. Just think of your dreams. They can be full of strange taboo's and weird experiences, all which feel quite normal without the presence of the breath souls rationality.

The reason this is important to us, is it is the deeper mind, and is always in there, underneath the rational breath soul.

I believe it becomes frustrated if not acknowledged and allowed some form of expression - it cant be shoved under the carpet, it will surface in anyway possible, for some as 'breakthroughs' in the material realm, or perhaps 'perceptions of' breakthroughs. I agree with Harpur on this point, the frustrated 'soul' will be source of all sorts of trouble; from depression, to 'loss of soul' (which a shaman may be able to 'find' and restore ) to .... well, you name it !

The rational soul with all its rules and its often fixed idea of how things are, and its often inflated sense of its own importance is actually quite a temporary phenomenon. It relinquishes its grasp on us every night, and then once again finally at the end of our life.

Nighttime/daytime is an analogy for it. Even when its all bright during the day, the world is still floating in the dark vastness of space, and then the sun goes down.

We consider sleep a nightly rehearsal of our inevitable death. In some ways this part of our tradition seems very much like the Tibetan Bardo ideas. The strange dreamlike realms and experiences that we will all pass through. Thus all the work we put into fetch mastery, into spirit flight, dream navigation and so on. We have to be able to function within that very different type of consciousness, to the daylight consciousness.

Even then though thats only part of the story. The great forging together of the 3 spirits lets us become members of what we call the Mighty Dead. Where as ordinary people have little volition, awareness, control or understanding of the inner being, we slowly work towards Mastery, where we are capable of navigating the subtle realm, and we don't have to dissipate and unconsciously reincarnate.

so we are very careful not to ignore or reject the fetch. Its the foundation for all our later work. Many other traditions try to jump straight past the fetch.

Self control, strict morality, curbing or quashing natural instincts,

At risk of being pelted with fruit I feel to re-quote Liber Librae here: " strengthen and control the animal passions, discipline the emotions and the reason, nourish the Higher Aspirations." But I would suggest 'control' is best applied by subtle and agreeable techniques other than force or oppression.

concentration practices on upper realm affairs, well they work. You can go into samadhi, you can get blissed off your chops, you can chant constantly. You can learn to channel and heal with higher frequencies, all that stuff, but from our point of view, all that means nothing if it was not married to the fetch.

At death you will still be ignorant of the deeper parts of yourself. Your breath soul will still dissolve, and this lifes memories will submerge into the depths of the fetch, which waits with the dead in whatever realm it was heading towards until rebirth hitches another breath soul on to it and it all happens over again, unless the breath soul completes the great work.

The breath soul, as you describe it , seems similar to my ; superego (morals, mores and taboos that are not present in 'dreamtime' ) feedback circuit ( by and from 'soul' - the imaginative desire function ) regulated by Mercury ( air, breath . pneuma ) . A lot of this has some correlations to the Australian Aboriginal stuff I have been learning and practicing. Some is quite different - mostly due to relationship with 'country' - one's born from, living in and dissolving back into environment (which is also the spirit world - no difference - knocks on table; 'spirit' ... not real ... 'dreaming' ) and the whole concept of 'dreaming / dreamtime ' ( they should never have translated this concept with this word 'dream' it is sorta close but misleading ) but I am seeing some interesting correlations here .

.... sorry about the weird words and terminology ... one has to use them at times .... like 'fetch' :)

Edited by Nungali

Seth,

It has been a very long time but I remember reading some of Carl Jung's material along the lines of the "collective unconscious", is that parallel to part of what you are getting at? (and I'd have to further review his writings if so) I also realize that the conceptual and rationale mind can not really pin down or handle a great deal of what it sounds like you are speaking of and or pointing to through the teachings you are following...which I can sense is a whole lot!

I do believe it is possible to forge and or weave a state of "soul" that can hold death at bey for super long periods in the astral and other realms, but that is not really enough in the end is it ? To me only the power of the "Self" which sees death die is enough. There is the saying of, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head" thus we are driven on and on, and also burned up as grass before the mid-day sun until we know that which we already are, and without attachment to a weaving which could be unwoven. (although weavings surely have their place!)

I'm probably missing a lot of your meanings but thanks again for sharing parts of your way!

Bob

Edited by 3bob

At risk of being pelted with fruit I feel to re-quote Liber Librae here: " strengthen and control the animal passions, discipline the emotions and the reason, nourish the Higher Aspirations." But I would suggest 'control' is best applied by subtle and agreeable techniques other than force or oppression.

Pelted with fruit, not to worry. Like any grumpy, amoral primate suitably riled, I will pelt you with "crap" like this:

1. Here are practices. Each may last for a week or more.

2. (a) Avoid using some common word, such as "and" or "the" or "but"; use a paraphrase.

(b') Avoid using some letter of the alphabet, such as "t", or "s", or "m"; use a paraphrase.

© Avoid using the pronouns and adjectives of the first person; use a paraphrase.

2. On each occasion that thou art betrayed into saying that thou art sworn to avoid, cut thyself sharply upon the wrist or forearm with a razor; even as thou shouldst beat a disobedient dog. Feareth not the Unicorn the claws and teeth of the Lion?

3. Thine arm then serveth thee both for a warning and for a record. Thou shalt write down thy daily progress in these practices . . . (Liber III vel Jugorum, Magick in Theory and Practice, Castle Books, ND, p. 427-28)

Wierd, old uncle Al just trying to "keep the balance" is he?

How you can still quote from Crowley after waving goodbye to your old Thelemic associates, as it seems you are doing here:

Actually this caused a falling out with a group I was associated with ; on the one hand they seemed to think my view and practice of magic was ... :D:P:rolleyes: ... chuckles behind my back and comments that got back to me .... all that shit ... wiggle.gif

... and on the other hand they all seemed to want the 4 things above - couldn't quiet manifest it and couldnt understand how it managed to fall in my lap.

.... bye-bye then wavey.gif

Is beyond me. Don't you realize that it is exactly because of Crowley that they "couldnt quiet (sic, I am not sure quite what was intended here) manifest it"? Doesn't it occur to you that there is something fundamentally wrong in the way he thought about and taught his so called magick?

Whatever value there may be in some aspects of what he says, is countered by defects such as what I quoted above, and unfortunately, it is not how the few intelligent people take what good he says, it is how the many idiots take what is bad in what he says that matters. That and the fact that the tons of his faux magic available and his supposed position as an authority have closed the minds of many people to any real understanding of magic.

Grumpy . . . I have my reasons.

• Like 1

Yes, I dont think any one system has it 'as it is' they are all takes on things that are complex and difficult to describe. thats why I like an eclectic approach. After a while one can see certain connections of signiicance and meaning among them.

Exactly. Once one has reached a certain comprehension of a particular system, it is interesting to look into another, as it may help to complete the jigsaw.

Since I am currently working with Israel Regardie's Middle Pillar Exercise, I arrived at the following synthesis:

Kether - Neschamah - Superconscious Self - Galactic Space

Tiphareth - Ruach - Conscious Self - Ego - Sun

Yesod - Nephesch - Subconscious or Animilistic Self - Id - Moon

Malkuth - Guph - Physical Body - Earth

There seems to be no correlate for the Superconscious Self in Freudian psychology (unlike Jung). The Freudian Super-Ego is not really transcendental but represents one's internalized set of morals which belongs to Saturn which marks the outer boundary of the realm of the conscious personality.

I am not sure if or how Daath fits into this.

Pelted with fruit, not to worry. Like any grumpy, amoral primate suitably riled, I will pelt you with "crap" like this:

How you can still quote from Crowley after waving goodbye to your old Thelemic associates, as it seems you are doing here:

1. Here are practices. Each may last for a week or more.

2. (a) Avoid using some common word, such as "and" or "the" or "but"; use a paraphrase.

(b') Avoid using some letter of the alphabet, such as "t", or "s", or "m"; use a paraphrase.

© Avoid using the pronouns and adjectives of the first person; use a paraphrase.

2. On each occasion that thou art betrayed into saying that thou art sworn to avoid, cut thyself sharply upon the wrist or forearm with a razor; even as thou shouldst beat a disobedient dog. Feareth not the Unicorn the claws and teeth of the Lion?

3. Thine arm then serveth thee both for a warning and for a record. Thou shalt write down thy daily progress in these practices . . . (Liber III vel Jugorum, Magick in Theory and Practice, Castle Books, ND, p. 427-28)

Is beyond me. Don't you realize that it is exactly because of Crowley that they "couldnt quiet (sic, I am not sure quite what was intended here) manifest it"? Doesn't it occur to you that there is something fundamentally wrong in the way he thought about and taught his so called magick?

Whatever value there may be in some aspects of what he says, is countered by defects such as what I quoted above, and unfortunately, it is not how the few intelligent people take what good he says, it is how the many idiots take what is bad in what he says that matters. That and the fact that the tons of his faux magic available and his supposed position as an authority have closed the minds of many people to any real understanding of magic.

The thing with Crowley is that you are sometimes not sure if he really means what he says or if he is merely expressing his peculiar sense of humour. Like when he suggests in his book on Yoga to meditate in lotus posture with a bowl chock full of hydrochloric acid on the top of the head. :blink:

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

A few general remarks on eclecticism...

It is a generally recommended method in Alchemy to draw from many sources, as "the books explain each other".

It is furthermore in line with the alchemical (aka synthesizing) approach to apply this philosophy to other topics as well. Bruce Lee did it for the martial arts, and summarized it like this: "Absorb what is useful; discard what is useless; add what is uniquely your own." Thus he created Jeet Kune Do.

In fact, most (if not all) martial arts and metaphysical systems were and are being created that way. It is particularly evident in Hermeticism - and in Alchemy in particular.

On a personal level, this is a key to what C. G. Jung called Individuation. Which is a short way of saying: Build according to the blueprint that you have inside you. This is to search the Philosopher's Stone on the spiritual level.

Coming back to the current thread, if somebody sees something in a different light, by all means, feel free to present your perspective. It's one of the purposes of forums to speculate about and discuss stuff. However, I see no use in saying: "My Kung Fu is better than yours."

• Like 1

Grumpy . . . I have my reasons.

I realise you have your reasons. I have mine too to be pissed off about how the New Age has corrupted teachings and turned them and everything into .....

And yeah ... all sorts of " idiots take what is bad in what (they) says that matters ... "

But ... <shrug> ... all one can do is try to point out some stuff and throw some shit . It seems the way of the world.

I see your point Donald ... but I also think it is perfectly fine for me to " strengthen and control the animal passions, discipline the emotions and the reason, nourish the Higher Aspirations." without thinking I have to worship Crowley, wear black clothes and a giant inverted pentagram and slash my forearms .

I see things fundamentally wrong with a lot of people, but will adopt a saying or techniques I have evaluated as useful to me .

What is wrong with nourishing the higher aspirations ?

I know that you will understand (and perhaps see it as converted plagiarism ) that the original document is a G.D. document from the 4th knowledge lecture , and that passage equivalent in original form is :

" Restrain the animal passions and nourish the higher aspirations; the emotions are purified by suffering. "

In this case I have no problem with the conversion - it goes along with my practice (which is not Crowley's ) as I dont agree with restraining the animal passions, but developing and controlling them, I agree with both cases of nourishing the higher aspirations (what's wrong with that ? ) but also that emotions need to be balanced and controlled as well as 'purified by suffering.

The reason I put Crowley's ( 'less Christianised' ) version of 'Developing the Powers of the Soul' - 'Liber Librae' ie , strengthen the animal passions is because it seems more in line with what Seth is writing about in this aspect of the Fetch (if I understand him right).

It might not be the way others work, but I dont go looking for the perfect teacher and system and then follow that. I am working on my own system for me, and using what I see as fit ... for me. So I dont really see why there is confusion about leaving a group you got all you could out of, but still using what was valuable ?

I was bought up christian catholic, never want anything to do with that, or their organisation again ... but I still value some lasting and spiritual experiences I had within it ... as they have proved relevant over time, are affirmed by my intrinsic nature ( via natal astrology) and so on.

I will never get involved with my ex again - thats finished ... nut job as well, most of what I gave her validity for is now out the window, but I maintain what I learnt from her that was useful. Why throw 'baby' out with the bathwater ?

Just because I still like some of Crowley's stuff, doesnt mean I would have him as a personal teacher, religious icon, prophet, guru, etc. as I think he could well be a total arse on that level. I still read and appreciate some of Blavatsky, even though she was exposed as a fraud.

I am in no way trying to defend Crowley .... but really, just on this level, people cut themselves all the time ... and others. It isnt seen as bad as it seems to us in some other cultures (like in Indonesia ... little rage, bit of a cut on yourself, some blood - better than taking it on your wife ).... you should see some of the cuts the indigenous here inflict on themselves, I have seen a cut so deep across the top of the thigh, the guy was immobilized for weeks (mourning cut). Also for other reasons - magical;

http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/6DjP55PBKItz6Nx1JIz8wA36267/GW428H336

( usage not allowed ^ )

No, Goth kids probably should not be reading that and using it for self harm.

But I know one thing .... the 'beast' is right about what he says here : " Feareth not the Unicorn the claws and teeth of the Lion? "

Instructor: " Do not cut with your elbows out like that, in a real fight, the would be cut. How many times do I have to tell you that! "

Me : "Well ! .. . ? Hit them with your bokken then !

crack ! "Oww!" .... crack ! "OUCH! ... oh shit ! That hurts ! " ... crack ! crack!

Only took 4 ! Now I have nice elbows in form .... automatic, without ever thinking about, I rewired my nervous system .... really a martial artist or a magician should not worry about such trivialities. But I do see your point, I do, as I have experienced the other side as well.

*grumble* traditional witchcraft came before 1890/1900 *grumble*

;)

Did it ? Did you see my question above about dates ? It seems to depend on what 'tradition' of witchcraft we are talking about.

Exactly. Once one has reached a certain comprehension of a particular system, it is interesting to look into another, as it may help to complete the jigsaw.

Since I am currently working with Israel Regardie's Middle Pillar Exercise, I arrived at the following synthesis:

Kether - Neschamah - Superconscious Self - Galactic Space

Tiphareth - Ruach - Conscious Self - Ego - Sun

Yesod - Nephesch - Subconscious or Animilistic Self - Id - Moon

Malkuth - Guph - Physical Body - Earth

There seems to be no correlate for the Superconscious Self in Freudian psychology (unlike Jung). The Freudian Super-Ego is not really transcendental but represents one's internalized set of morals which belongs to Saturn which marks the outer boundary of the realm of the conscious personality.

I am not sure if or how Daath fits into this.

The thing with Crowley is that you are sometimes not sure if he really means what he says or if he is merely expressing his peculiar sense of humour. Like when he suggests in his book on Yoga to meditate in lotus posture with a bowl chock full of hydrochloric acid on the top of the head. :blink:

Well, you dont always have to learn by your own mistakes ... you can learn by other's mistakes ;)

I remember reading DuQuette where he tips a bottle of Abramelin oil on his head .... WTF! .... YOU IDIOT !

Which brings up the question ... if you have sworn not to break the circle, do you do it to seek emergency medical attention, or continue with a closing and banishing and go blind? :D

~ I shouldnt laugh .... I realise people get into all sorts of trouble trying to do magic .... but they rarely listen to sensible advice ... they want sensational advice !

" Hey man ... your robe is on fire ."

"Huh ... what ? "

"Your robe is on fire ! ... At the back ... you backed into a candle and your robe is on fire."

" Shit ! ...... " smiley-on-fire.gif

• Like 1

*grumble* traditional witchcraft came before 1890/1900 *grumble*

;)

Sorry, one thing from the Golden Dawn that I believe is relevant to the Beast Fetch:

The 5=6 Ritual of the Adepus Minor saith that even the "Evil helpeth forward the Good." When the evil Sephiroth are expelled from the Nephesch into the Evil Persona, they are, in a sense, equilibriated therein. The evil persona can be rendered as a great and strong, yet trained, animal whereupon the man rideth, and it then becometh a strength unto his physical base of action. This Mystery shalt thou keep from the knowledge of the First Order, and still more from that of the Outer World, that is as a formula, seeing that it is a dangerous secret. (Israel Regardie, The Golden Dawn, Third Edition, 1970, Book One, Vol. 1, p. 218)

This is from the Adeptus Minor paper "Tasks Undertaken by the Adeptus Minor". To be understood it really requires an acquaintance the Golden Dawn Neophyte Ritual and some other Golden Dawn teachings, but stripped a little of its Victorian trappings, the idea of exteriorizing the "animal" self, taming it and using it as a "familiar" is certainly one very likely interpretation.

I have some other ideas about it, but I don't have time to enter into them now.

I will note that just previous to this there are doctrines that indicate a familiarity with Plotinus Ennead 3.4, Our Tutelary Spirit, which put this in a very interesting context.

My ideas are also linked to some cross cultural comparisons which I will make if I have time.

• Like 1

The dodgy wicca history movement really muddied the waters for the real scholars who study that time and thought. Thanks margret murry lol.

:)

For some reason that conjured up the image of you, bolting from a 'Pagans at the Pub' evening, running down a back lane of Melbourne being pursued by irate feminist Wiccans pelting you with mini quick knock offs of the Venus of Willendorf.

• Like 1

...So a lot of our work is about getting to know that type of awareness. Gaining familiarity then competence with the fetch. Allowing it to be as fetchy as we can get away with letting it be, learning to fly, making friends from that level and so on.

For us, Fetch mastery is the absolute essential platform. The next part of the work involves starting to marry the Daemonic fire to the fetch.

The Daemonic Fire is what we call all the light, higher mind, inspiration and unitive experience kind of stuff.

The Danger is that it easily scorches the Fetch.

...We very carefully introduce the Daemonic Fire to the Fetch. As it adjusts we can let a little more in. Not that you can always control the process. Daemonic fire is sometimes in a hurry and just bursts its way on in, and thats ok, and sometimes may mean the fetch was ready for a level up, but all in all its slow careful work.

That's really interesting. What sort of practice does Fetch mastery actually involve? Are there particular rituals, etc, which can be used?

How can someone negotiate the difference between a Fetch mastery lifestyle and a 'I'm just gonna be decadant and selfish and not give a f***' lifestyle of instant gratification? I can imagine people getting that wrong.

And then, what does letting the Daemonic Fire in actually involve, in terms of practices?

Thanks again for the replies Seth, :)

And in regards to your reply below:

"End' is not really emphasized to us like it is in others. I don't really see the same focus on an 'End' like there is in the big religions."

I meant more as a main goal or main motive, for instance King Solomon had great power and knowledge in the world and also to whatever degree in magic and in the "astral" realms, but came to the conclusion that those as his main motive were not enough or would end in up in "vanity" (per the book of Ecclesiastes) since they could not give answer to or satisfy complete spiritual meaning for the whole kit and caboodle and one's place in it.

In comparison I'd say the Navajo Indians learned more than Solomon per their saying below:

Walking In Beauty (Blessing)

"Today I will walk out, today everything unnecessary will leave me,
I will be as I was before, I will have a cool breeze over my body.
I will have a light body, I will be happy forever,
nothing will hinder me.
I walk with beauty before me. I walk with beauty behind me.
I walk with beauty below me. I walk with beauty above me.
I walk with beauty around me. My words will be beautiful.

In beauty all day long may I walk.
Through the returning seasons, may I walk.
On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.
With dew about my feet, may I walk.

With beauty before me may I walk.
With beauty behind me may I walk.
With beauty below me may I walk.
With beauty above me may I walk.
With beauty all around me may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.
My words will be beautiful."

Edited by 3bob

From my personal experiences with, the teachings I have received about, and from what I understand of the fetch.... no it is not as aspect of one's psyche, not it is not just energy, it is not an intellectual concept whatsoever and no it is not a magician doing dark stuff/nightside work (that is irrelevant to fetch or lack of fetch).

• Like 2

I meant more as a main goal or main motive, for instance King Solomon had great power and knowledge in the world and also to whatever degree in magic and in the "astral" realms, but came to the conclusion that those as his main motive were not enough or would end in up in "vanity" (per the book of Ecclesiastes) since they could not give answer to or satisfy complete spiritual meaning for the whole kit and caboodle and one's place in it.

" I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God. .... So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work,because that is their lot. " - Ecclesiastes

All we have to do is discover our own 'true work', one that has, and does that, is happy, fulfilled and contented. All the 'rest' IMO is about helping one find and/or fullfil ones individuation / calling, whether it be a healer, mother, labourer, writer or refrigerator mechanic .... also, it is a pleasure to work with others whose 'job' is their heart, soul and joy.

Edited by Nungali

Thanks again for the replies Seth, :)

And in regards to your reply below:

"End' is not really emphasized to us like it is in others. I don't really see the same focus on an 'End' like there is in the big religions."

In comparison I'd say the Navajo Indians learned more than Solomon per their saying below:

Walking In Beauty (Blessing)

"Today I will walk out, today everything unnecessary will leave me,

I will be as I was before, I will have a cool breeze over my body.

I will have a light body, I will be happy forever,

nothing will hinder me.

I walk with beauty before me. I walk with beauty behind me.

I walk with beauty below me. I walk with beauty above me.

I walk with beauty around me. My words will be beautiful.

In beauty all day long may I walk.

Through the returning seasons, may I walk.

On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.

With dew about my feet, may I walk.

With beauty before me may I walk.

With beauty behind me may I walk.

With beauty below me may I walk.

With beauty above me may I walk.

With beauty all around me may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.

My words will be beautiful."

Then King Solomon went and summoned many demons to build his temple for him :).

• Like 1

From my personal experiences with, the teachings I have received about, and from what I understand of the fetch.... no it is not as aspect of one's psyche, not it is not just energy, it is not an intellectual concept whatsoever and no it is not a magician doing dark stuff/nightside work (that is irrelevant to fetch or lack of fetch).

I dont get that ... how can it not be an aspect of one's psyche (considering all that is written about it above) ..... perhaps you mean it is not just an aspect of our psyche ?

I dont get that ... how can it not be an aspect of one's psyche (considering all that is written about it above) ..... perhaps you mean it is not just an aspect of our psyche ?

I don't necessarily agree with all of what is written above about it, most especially the offsite links.