Harmonious Emptiness

Wu Wei meaning non-selfish action

Yes, this can be easily misunderstood, I think. I suggest that if we do not take good care of ourself forst we will be unable to attain a state of wu wei. We must be capable of responding to unexpected external conditions. (Afterall, we cannot control external conditions.)

I will give my support to the statement "heal self first". But this should be based on intention. "Why are we doing this?" Selfishness for personal gain or for protection of self and others?

I just think we sometimes get too 'cookie-cutter' in our explanations on these matters. To me, it is an internal issue not external but most apply Wu Wei as an external thing.

I was curious what H.E. has to say...

Hehehe. Even that one is tricky. Some people just keep getting in the way so that they must be removed from one's environment.

Ahhh....That was an ill will.

I do see the "Un-Wu Wei" part of you again as from time to time. :P

Ahhh....That was an ill will.

I do see the "Un-Wu Wei" part of you again as from time to time. :P

Well, what did you expect from a military man?

• Like 1

I'll take up a comment from another thread... H.E. Said:

This made me wonder about a so-called Daoist saying to 'heal self first'. This seems somewhat motivated, but is that selfish?

Goes along with the Christian parable "don't try to remove the speck of dust from your neighbours eye before you move the stick from your own," imo. How does one know what others need when our perception is distorted?