Jeff

Been a while... Anyone for a chat?

Going in for a while. Anyone interested?

you can certainly draw a crowd !

5 in chat, wow, i didnt even know that was possible.

• Like 2

we peaked at 8!  today was a good day! :D

You call this a chat ? Sounds more like a head count than an interesting discussion. 

How about enticing us with something more interesting than simply quoting the number 8 ? 

Perhaps something like, "Do you think there is any relevance to chat ?", or "Is there any difference between spiritual chat and mundane chat ?", or "If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work ?"

Those with the ability to see...will see.

Those with the ability to hear...will hear.

Those with the ability to feel...will feel.

That is the nature of chat.

Best wishes.

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 2

how does the speed of dark relate ? i think that would be more interesting than the worn out ragged speed of light chat.

there are 8 trigrams of which everything is composed......

enticement is for suckering one into something, probably not desirable, really.

at best a honey trap.

gems and nuggets are often found hidden away in some mundane plain brown paper bag sorta thing.

where you least expect to find them.

• Like 2

Those with the ability to see...will see.

Those with the ability to hear...will hear.

Those with the ability to feel...will feel.

That is the nature of chat.

Best wishes.

Now this is a curious line of reasoning. Seeing, hearing, and feeling are somehow the nature of chatting. Now considering that a mute can see, hear and feel but most definitely not chat - how does all this follow ?

Or is it like so many spiritual teachings. Couch them in the language of slightly incomprehensible poetry and mystery, and they get accepted as 'quite possibly' being true.

Here's an interesting chat topic - "Why don't spiritual teachers ever seem to just talk straight like normal people ?"

Edited by ThisLife
  • Like 1

(1) there are 8 trigrams of which everything is composed......

(2) enticement is for suckering one into something, probably not desirable, really.

at best a honey trap.

(3) gems and nuggets are often found hidden away in some mundane plain brown paper bag sorta thing.

where you least expect to find them.

(1) Fact or opinion ? Relative truth or Absolute truth ?

(2) All spiritual teachers, real or phony, all endeavour to  'entice' their followers. Otherwise they remain a one man band braying in solitude in the wilderness. Enticement on its own doesn't imply one thing or the other. It depends entirely on the motivation of the person who lays the honey for bait.

(3) Week old mouldy lunches and dog poo removed from a public footpath , are both also found in mundane brown paper bags where you least expect to find them. Beware judging any contents by the nature of the container it comes in. A brown paper bag can paradoxically also be a double-edged sword.

Edited by ThisLife
  • Like 1

Now this is a curious line of reasoning. Seeing, hearing, and feeling are somehow the nature of chatting. Now considering that a mute can see, hear and feel but most definitely not chat - how does all this follow ?

Or is it like so many spiritual teachings. Couch them in the language of slightly incomprehensible poetry and mystery, and they get accepted as 'quite possibly' being true.

Here's an interesting chat topic - "Why don't spiritual teachers ever seem to just talk straight like normal people ?"

I am not a spiritual teacher, so no problem. I thought the answer perfect for your original question.

So what is your specific question? Happy to answer.

Best,

Jeff

I am not a spiritual teacher, so no problem. I thought the answer perfect for your original question. So what is your specific question? Happy to answer. Best, Jeff

I have no question at the moment. I just felt a momentary desire to chat, opened the link to this thread thinking there might be a group of people inside whom I shared a common interest in spiritual matters with - but found it was simply a collection of statistics regarding how many people you could squeeze inside a chat room. 

So I kind of chucked a spanner into the room, (or threw a monkey wrench into the works, for the North American side of our shared language) - and sat back  watching to see what would happen.

And Presto ! Here we are, all chatting !

No need for a special, secret and private room. This thread works the magic on its own without any need for paraphernalia, if chatting is all one is asking for.

But if a specific question works better for you, how's about, ... "Why do you spend so much of your free time on a website like this, a place where none of us will ever get to meet and have a 'real' relationship with anyone we ever talk to here ?"

ThisLife, 

"somebody threw a spanner and they threw him in the hole,,,

on ITV and BBC they talk about the curse
philosophy is useless theology is worse,,,

but I'm glad you came to see me to get this off your chest"

your reply to my post, #3 , true , true

#1, fair question. 

#2 however, idk, the use of "all" and "entirely" automatically discredits imo and besides

"braying in solitude in the wilderness" is under appreciated, largely misunderstood, and way under rated.

so, "This thread works the magic on its own " , ok, what does not work magic?

No need for a special, secret and private room.

What's the matter? Afraid you gonna miss out on something?

Besides, sometimes I'd rather my words weren't recorded for posterity.

And I might just like a chat, not a debate or some detailed discussion or analysis.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

why are we (read as why is ThisLife) scrutinizing the chat room???  :(

Hiya VTDT,

I must confess that your reply and the question wrapped within it, have left me rather confused as to what you're asking. My guess is that it's very much written in the 'modern style' - very short, (never more than two sentences), and with an added emoticon or  acronym like LOL, IMHO, or ROFL tagged on so that everyone feels at home with the familiar.

Are you making reference to the question I asked Jeff, and simply turning it back on myself ? Saying basically, "You tell me first." ?

But why the sad face on the emoticon ?

This is just a chat room after all. Surely differences of opinion are what makes discussions come alive ? Without the contrasts we'd could only communicate about two lines before hitting a dead end - "I think you're nice, and I agree with everything you say.", followed by the rejoinder,"I think you're nice too, and I agree with everything you say."

I never use emoticons or LOLs as a matter of priciple, so I'll have to leave you with just the words on their own to try and decode. But I'm sure you're nice too, (Though unfortunately I can't promise to agree with everything you might say.).

ThisLife, 

"somebody threw a spanner and they threw him in the hole,,,

on ITV and BBC they talk about the curse

but I'm glad you came to see me to get this off your chest"

your reply to my post, #3 , true , true

#1, fair question. 

#2 however, idk, the use of "all" and "entirely" automatically discredits imo and besides

"braying in solitude in the wilderness" is under appreciated, largely misunderstood, and way under rated.

so, "This thread works the magic on its own " , ok, what does not work magic?

Hiya Zerostao,

Hey ! Another Taoist in Dire Straits !! Some very perceptive lines they come up with, eh ? "philosophy is useless theology is worse."

Your question, "This thread works the magic on its own " , ok, what does not work magic?", has got me intrigued.

Well, of course, if we truly had the ability that some apparently have, (to be able, like the title of Ram Dass's book, to "BE HERE NOW") - then of course, from what I've read about the way they see the world, everything that exists would be magic. End of story.

But unfortunately I'm stuck here in my usual mundane perceptions and have never knowingly been able to step outside them. So I can only answer from my own experience, and assume that you're not a Zen master pulling his poor student's leg just for a bit of a laugh.

All I was meaning was that this entire Taobum's site is simply a chat room. So what is the point of roping off one small area of it and calling it a designated chatroom ? To me, it's like going on a long hike through a lovely woodland, then suddenly walking unexpectedly into a roped off clearing deep in the middle of the woods, with signs all around it saying, "Nature. Quiet please."

So I thought I'd try to chat in the corridor outside the secret chatting chamber. Just to see what happens.

Pretty bold stuff, I know. I guess I always was a bit of a teenage rebel. Aren't you worried that we might get caught, talking like this outside the designated area ?

• Like 1

So I kind of chucked a spanner into the room, (or threw a monkey wrench into the works, for the North American side of our shared language) -

Actually we do have spanner wrenches here in the States but they are far different from a monkey wrench.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

I have no question at the moment. I just felt a momentary desire to chat, opened the link to this thread thinking there might be a group of people inside whom I shared a common interest in spiritual matters with - but found it was simply a collection of statistics regarding how many people you could squeeze inside a chat room. 

So I kind of chucked a spanner into the room, (or threw a monkey wrench into the works, for the North American side of our shared language) - and sat back  watching to see what would happen.

And Presto ! Here we are, all chatting !

No need for a special, secret and private room. This thread works the magic on its own without any need for paraphernalia, if chatting is all one is asking for.

But if a specific question works better for you, how's about, ... "Why do you spend so much of your free time on a website like this, a place where none of us will ever get to meet and have a 'real' relationship with anyone we ever talk to here ?"

To answer your question... I have made many good friends on this website. Many who I learn, grow and share much with. Is that not the nature of a real relationship?

Also, sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your question, was busy last night. Harder to have a dialogue (and share) when both parties are not available to chat (and explain details) at the same time...

• Like 4

Hiya VTDT,

I must confess that your reply and the question wrapped within it, have left me rather confused as to what you're asking. My guess is that it's very much written in the 'modern style' - very short, (never more than two sentences), and with an added emoticon or  acronym like LOL, IMHO, or ROFL tagged on so that everyone feels at home with the familiar.

Are you making reference to the question I asked Jeff, and simply turning it back on myself ? Saying basically, "You tell me first." ?

But why the sad face on the emoticon ?

This is just a chat room after all. Surely differences of opinion are what makes discussions come alive ? Without the contrasts we'd could only communicate about two lines before hitting a dead end - "I think you're nice, and I agree with everything you say.", followed by the rejoinder,"I think you're nice too, and I agree with everything you say."

I never use emoticons or LOLs as a matter of priciple, so I'll have to leave you with just the words on their own to try and decode. But I'm sure you're nice too, (Though unfortunately I can't promise to agree with everything you might say.).

that is loud text, i quieted it a little...

So im not sure what the deal is here, but my question was simply in regard to your quoted response to me:

You call this a chat ? Sounds more like a head count than an interesting discussion. 

How about enticing us with something more interesting than simply quoting the number 8 ? 

Perhaps something like, "Do you think there is any relevance to chat ?", or "Is there any difference between spiritual chat and mundane chat ?", or "If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work ?"

And all i was asking is why you were scrutinizing the chat?