Flolfolil

Help us help Buddhist Discussion

Please use this thread to (politely) voice your concerns about Buddhist Discussion and ideas we could implement that would help it run smoother.

:)

• Like 1

Starting sentences with "in my opinion" or "on my path" could help ;).

Well that and there is nothing wrong with allowing another to get the last word in!

• Like 7

So how come the Buddhism section gets so much worse than the other sections? Anyone have any ideas?? Why does it become worse off than Taoism? Taoism must have just as much to argue about, hell we never did figure out exactly what qi is, or where the dantien was ;).

It seems often to hinge on definitions of words and mental platforms...

semantics, fundamental differences of perspective related to interpretations of some heavy, complex concepts...

I always expected this was less common in Buddhism, but as my exposure to it grows, I'm sensing it's pretty common for most any religious conversations. Perspective is relative reality.

I recall a five year study that found there were 30,000 distinct versions of Christianity in the world. this was some years ago...

In my experience, I thought immediately upon reading it, is that there are as many versions of each religion as there are people claiming to follow them. Each experience is unique, even if there is commonality on some level.

We are using words, symbols and though-forms to describe events and conditions that are beyond the scope and ability of words to convey...

Difficult ground indeed.

I thankfully keep returning to the spot where I remember, eventually, that in this magnificent and hugomonstrously massive mental landscape we share, that we are all, mercifully different. I just try to not take things personally and honor people's authenticity. If you're not hurting anyone, do what you want...

I don't think it will change.

If you moderate more strictly, it will waste more mod time and just lead to accusations of censorship.

If not, it will just continue like it has, gradually changing faces from time to time.

Most of the participants don't seem to be interested in trying to express Buddhist values in their social interaction.

They're too attached to expressing their intellectual positions and ideas, this is a very common pitfall in Buddhist circles.

It's quite an ironic display of conceptual and intellectual attachment much of the time.

Anyone truly interested in Buddhism would focus more on how they relate to the other participants and less on the content.

Content is valuable, but secondary to conduct, in my highly biased opinion.

Sorry if I've offended anyone but it's pretty nauseating to watch - I can't stomach it much lately.

So how come the Buddhism section gets so much worse than the other sections? Anyone have any ideas?? Why does it become worse off than Taoism? Taoism must have just as much to argue about, hell we never did figure out exactly what qi is, or where the dantien was ;).

Interesting how that seems to play out here...

• Like 8

I tried to formulate my opinion politely but no matter how thick I lay on the qualifying language, I can't tell you my thoughts about the underlying reasons without risk of offending people.

I agree with BKA; there should be a rule requiring them to make clear that they're expressing personal opinions based on personal experience and that there's room for more than one interpretation in this universe.

• Like 2

Buddhism has more analytical philosophy than most paths. This can be a powerful tool to cut off false concepts, and then overcome attachment to views entirely, so there is only direct spacious realisation.

Unfortunately, some people get attached to the logic and philosophy and treat it as absolute truth, which they feel obligated to proselytise to all the poor fools who aren't smart enough to get it.

They must protect the logic, because to them it is the one true path and they have such a personal stake in it. They become elitist fundies dripping with scorn and arrogance, quoting scholars and texts because they can't do anything else. Not much can be done, only they can free themselves.

Some of the worst offenders have been bounced off Dharma Wheel and come on her to continue their arguments.

I don't think that'll end anytime soon.

BKA has the right idea IMO maybe a permanent banner or message or some such at the top of the Buddhist Forum to say that anyone posting - by posting- accepts they are only posting their own opinion.

That might help weed out the single-sect evangelists and monomaniacs.

We've always the come back then of....

"Fair enough, but you know and we know that's just your own opinion."

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Maybe put a sticky saying that this isn't Dharma Wheel

Although it's got much better since a year ago, at that time if anyone posted anything which wasn't exactly in line with a select few Dharma Wheel trained posters they would get immediately attacked and shot down. So it is improving.

• Like 2

Some of the worst offenders have been bounced off Dharma Wheel and come on her to continue their arguments.

I don't think that'll end anytime soon.

BKA has the right idea IMO maybe a permanent banner or message or some such at the top of the Buddhist Forum to say that anyone posting - by posting- accepts they are only posting their own opinion.

That might help weed out the single-sect evangelists and monomaniacs.

We've always the come back then of....

"Fair enough, but you know and we know that's just your own opinion."

It seems we had the same thought at exactly the same time :ph34r::o

• Like 1

I'd like to put a pinned 'read this first' thread which says basically:

This sub forum is a place where Buddhist values prevail, namely;

1 ) rigorous debate but in a spirit of kindness and compassion,

2 ) value the other poster even if you disagree; if they irritate you treat them as a teacher of non-attachment,

3 ) respect all dharmas Buddhist and non-Buddhist,

4 ) keep on topic - which is buddhadharma (if you want to post about your own ideas or another system go to another sub-forum),

5 ) if you refute another's view give an explanation for doing so.

NB: Please keep to the words and spirit of this guidance, if you do not your posts and topics may be split and moved.

• Like 6

I have no first hand knowledge but from what I have heard the Buddhist discussions here are a lot more mellow than they are at many Buddhist sites.

Nearly all the problems encountered here go back to the various schools of Buddhism and their dogma. But really, this isn't the only belief system that has this problem. It exists everywhere. Even I had a difficult time mellowing out regarding Religious and Alchemic Taoism.

I wish all you Buddhists well and wish you much more productive discussions in the future.

• Like 1

The Buddhist subforum does not need help. Essentially its a good discussion platform. Most of the time the discussions are dignified, of value and substance, and its virtually free of trollish behaviour.

I don't see a problem. Naysayers are welcome, in the spirit of debate and disagreements. Even in family units misunderstandings will arise, and members will argue and disagree, but i don't see that as something so drastic that it will lead to a destruction of that unit. Maybe the odd time it will, but generally, no. Members can ignore one another, some even for a long time, but somehow, family is family. Sangha is sangha.

The one and only issue is that non-Buddhists who basically have no sense of sangha-ship show up to act as if they belong, as if they are in the know more than practicing Buddhists, leading their points with taunts and also with ignoble motives. Its clearly seen in the tainted behaviours of a couple of so-called dzogchen dabblers who seem to enjoy clashing with others. Devoid of even basic manners and respecting that there are some core concepts relating to Dzogchen practices that cannot be openly discussed, which is something that authentic practitioners have been bonded to uphold in the best way they can.

So, imo, i dont see any reason to alter this sub-forum in any shape or form. If anyone sees otherwise, then maybe the problem's with them, and they should express their gripes so that whoever is responsible for this subforum can then bring the relevant issues up as and when they occur and present it to Buddhists here and say, "Look chaps, we have been receiving some complaints with regards to this, this and this, what sort of feedback can we get to try and reach a resolution?" If this is not observed, one should not simply form the premature opinion that there is a mess here in this section of TTB. Cos if you do, it just goes to show an attitude of carelessness, like as if someone has their briefs or panties in a knot trying to sweep some insignificant dirt under the carpet.

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

The Buddhist subforum does not need help. Essentially its a good discussion platform. Most of the time the discussions are dignified, of value and substance, and its virtually free of trollish behaviour.

I don't see a problem. Naysayers are welcome, in the spirit of debate and disagreements. Even in family units misunderstandings will arise, and members will argue and disagree, but i don't see that as something so drastic that it will lead to a destruction of that unit. Maybe the odd time it will, but generally, no. Members can ignore one another, some even for a long time, but somehow, family is family. Sangha is sangha.

The one and only issue is that non-Buddhists who basically have no sense of sangha-ship show up to act as if they belong, as if they are in the know more than practicing Buddhists, leading their points with taunts and also with ignoble motives. Its clearly seen in the tainted behaviours of a couple of so-called dzogchen dabblers who seem to enjoy clashing with others. Devoid of even basic manners and respecting that there are some core concepts relating to Dzogchen practices that cannot be openly discussed, which is something that authentic practitioners have been bonded to uphold in the best way they can.

So, imo, i dont see any reason to alter this sub-forum in any shape or form. If anyone sees otherwise, then maybe the problem's with them, and they should express their gripes so that whoever is responsible for this subforum can then bring the relevant issues up as and when they occur and present it to Buddhists here and say, "Look chaps, we have been receiving some complaints with regards to this, this and this, what sort of feedback can we get to try and reach a resolution?" If this is not observed, one should not simply form the premature opinion that there is a mess here in this section of TTB. Cos if you do, it just goes to show an attitude of carelessness, like as if someone has their briefs or panties in a knot trying to sweep some insignificant dirt under the carpet.

This is definitely part of the issue that we want to address.

and ...""Look chaps, we have been receiving some complaints with regards to this, this and this, what sort of feedback can we get to try and reach a resolution?"" ... this is really what is happening now.

Personally as I said above I would like the discussion to be more in the spirit of dharma as I outlines above somewhere.

• Like 1

Running order for Buddhist Board threads on TTB.

OP: " This is the answer to everything."

Poster 1: " Nope, that's shit that is."

OP: ' Tisn't'.

Poster 1: ' Tis too!'

Poster 2: " You're both wrong. Lama Dama Ding Dong knows everything and he says that......."

OP+ Poster 1. " Lama Dama Ding Dong is a twonk and so are you Poster 2."

Poster 2: " My Lama can beat up your Lama."

And repeat... Endlessly.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Running order for Buddhist Board threads on TTB.

OP: " This is the answer to everything."

Poster 1: " Nope, that's shit that is."

OP: ' Tisn't'.

Poster 1: ' Tis too!'

Poster 2: " You're both wrong. Lama Dama Ding Dong knows everything and he says that......."

OP+ Poster 1. " Lama Dama Ding Dong is a twonk and so are you Poster 2."

Poster 2: " My Lama can beat up your Lama."

And repeat... Endlessly.

I refute your Lama Dama Ding Dong .. he know's nothing.

• Like 2

I'd like to put a pinned 'read this first' thread which says basically:

This sub forum is a place where Buddhist values prevail, namely;

1 ) rigorous debate but in a spirit of kindness and compassion,

2 ) value the other poster even if you disagree; if they irritate you treat them as a teacher of non-attachment,

3 ) respect all dharmas Buddhist and non-Buddhist,

4 ) keep on topic - which is buddhadharma (if you want to post about your own ideas or another system go to another sub-forum),

5 ) if you refute another's view give an explanation for doing so.

NB: Please keep to the words and spirit of this guidance, if you do not your posts and topics may be split and moved.

Well crap, that would mean I can't post in this (very interesting) section anymore :( (#4) Love the rest though!

Edited by BaguaKicksAss

I refute your Lama Dama Ding Dong .. he know's nothing.

Blasphemy.

Stone the unbeliever.

HH Dilgo Lama Dama Ding Dong ( Dildo to his 'friends') has forgotten more nothing than your guy ever knew.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

Well crap, that would mean I can't post in this (very interesting) section anymore :( (#4) Love the rest though!

Course you could.

Blasphemy.

Stone the unbeliever.

HH Dilgo Lama Dama Ding Dong ( Dildo to his 'friends') has forgotten more nothing than your guy ever knew.

Being a 'dildo to your friends' is what some of us are cut out for.

• Like 2