Flolfolil

Help us help Buddhist Discussion

Well Im sorry if I mischaracterized your stand , Ive seen your comments elsewhere being rather preferential to leaving the Buddhist section as it stands , So I just do not know how much is supposed to be taken at face value or ' tongue in cheek'.

Your personal posts have always seemed to me to be well measured , respectful, and self controlled. I do still still, however think you wish to protect the Buddhist section , from 'excessive interference' figure you feel it has merit even as it is , and that its not much different from other sites on the subject. I disagree as mentioned. I didnt want to hang this hat on your hook but to the direct question by Apech I felt I needed to answer bluntly.

If you really would prefer an upgrade in conduct in that section , Im thinking it would be in your own interest to say so outright.

If not, then Im at least not coming to an understanding way off the mark.

Your views are very much, very sincerely appreciated, more so coming from a non-Buddhist.

• Like 1

@Stosh

Ok I get your point, it's well made.

I would like to see a kinder, more positive style of discussion which should be possible with practicing Buddhists (since that's what they believe in). And I would like to be able to move to General anything which is just quasi-buddhist.

• Like 1

How about 'new' Buddhisms?

There's tons of those....

Some here...

A

American Buddhist Movement

Arya Maitreya Mandala

B

Blue Lotus Assembly

Bussho Gonenkai Kyōdan

C

Coconut Religion

D

Dalit Buddhist movement

F

Triratna Buddhist Community

H

Ching Hai

Ho No Hana

H cont.

Hòa Hảo

Humanistic Buddhism

J

Houn Jiyu-Kennett

K

Kenshōkai

Kokuchūkai

M

Sakyong Mipham

Mogok Sayadaw (Venerable Sayadawgyi U Wimala)

Myōchikai Kyōdan

Myōdōkai Kyōdan

S

Shambhala Buddhism

Shasta Abbey

Shinnyo-en

Shōshinkai

Soka Gakkai

T

Tibbetibaba

True Buddha School

V

Vipassana movement

W

Won Buddhism

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Soka Gakkai always gets flamed whenever it's mentioned favourably over on Dharma Wheel.

I have no idea why.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Actually the current staff has to deal with it. That's why we started the thread.

There will be changes as any forum / sub-forum is not an exclusive club of selective posters who determine how that area should be run, and how they run out others.

----

For all:

1. Any forum area should appear to welcome posters and not be the exclusive posting area of a few. There may well be only a few posting in certain sub-forums but it should be because they are interested to post, not because everyone else is run-off, put-off, and generally feeling ill by coming to it.

2. There will probably be some utilization of admin "broad discretion to protect the civility and resources of any aspect within TTBs e-community."

See: TheTaoBums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil.

An example might be used when a tone and style of posting is too restrictive of allowing others their opinion and is diminishing the free flow of dialog on the board, and/or contributing to a hostage or hostile environment.

3. Based on CT's thread Feedback please! Intention to initiate a group study on Buddhist Ethics. , I would like to create a sub-forum under Buddhist Discussion called "Buddhist Textual Studies", which is parallel to the "Taoist Textual Studies".

A new sub-forum is created here: http://thetaobums.com/forum/391-buddist-textual-studies/

We will expect that posting is on-topic and respectful.

• Like 3

People can only be helped when they want to help themselves.

It's important to put in perspective that we're not discussing the behavior of "Buddhists" and "Daoists" here.

We are observing and discussing the behavior of a group of people who are motivated in some way to discuss Buddhism and Daoism in an anonymous online forum.

If we are fortunate, we have the aptitude and awareness to observe and discuss ourselves, rather than just our labels and the shit and beauty that we tend to project on each other here.

Many are stuck on the latter - and as all can easily observe, it doesn't change.

But when we look at our selves, then change is possible.

Where we are in our cultivation is pretty obvious through the content and characteristics of our posts.

And even that very statement is also a judgement, a separation.

So for me, the best answer is to just let go.

When the thread is heading somewhere I don't want to be I just need to look clearly and openly at the one who doesn't want to let go. What is being asserted or defended is irrelevant - who is doing it?

- which aspect of my identity? the cultivator probably, or the philosopher... or the one who feels a lot of pain or fear and is desperately looking for relief and approval, or the one whose opinion or understanding feels threatened.

SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES

And the ones we are trying to correct (and who are trying to correct us), it doesn't work that way.

It's right there for all of us to see - hitting us over the head. And a few clever words or an exhaustive series of references, or an insult or the most benevolent and loving support may or may not cause the shift, the recognition.

I don't know that any of us can ever know why and when wisdom blossoms - all we can do is practice (and pray depending on our nature).... so when it does happen it is a blessing that needs to be honored, treasured, and cultivated - that is cultivation.

So good luck to all of us

Thanks for listening to my rambling

• Like 2

Yep, very Taoist that Zen Buddhist Shobogenzo.

Or at least, worthy of discussion along that or other lines

I thought.

Sorry it wasn't a Tibetan topic but I'm interested in Zen and PL mainly.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Maybe this could become a tradition... once a year we "free" a thread removed or locked.

Like the presidential pardoning of a turkey on thanksgiving day.  :)

• Like 3

So sad to see productive discussion of something so rare and precious as dzogchen degenerate into ad hominem attacks, desperate attempts to prove ourselves right, and discursive chatter. That aspect of this forum isn't conducive to mutual support and growth and doesn't seem to change.

I doubt there is much than can be done to improve it other than individual members seeing the value in changing their way of interacting with one another. 

• Like 4

My two cents: Dzogchen is self secret so its not a problem to discuss it online, unless you want to realize it ;)

Ekajati has only one eye, still she is better at tango then all of us here.

I do hope that didn't make any sense and contributed nothing

• Like 1

Its all grist for the mill.  It is not possible to respect or disrespect the teachings, except within your own mind.  The way is always open, always available, always accessible to those who are called to follow it.  It does not matter if someone wishes to go another way and call it the only true path.  Everyone is free to do as they wish, they are free to regard anything as they wish, because the consequences are all-inclusive.  Again, grist for the mill.

Some may seek to comprehend the totality of karma, but it is not actually possible.  Karma is endless.  Remember - when you have been shot with a poisoned arrow, the real matter at hand is to deal with the poison - the who and how and why of it is secondary at best.

Truly, the practice is quite simple.  And yet - it seems very few have the capacity for it, at least according to the incessant demonstrations of ye olde status quo.

What seems to be the most common is yet another game, another competition, another scramble for the win - with "spiritual" or "mystical" placeholders and puppets instead of "normal" or "mainstream" ones.  Its all quite rote... but its still grist for the mill.  The only question is: how much grinding do you need?

Introduction to the Practice ofDzogchen

Talk by Lopon Tenzin Namdak,

Vienna, Austria, April 1991.

Compiled and edited by John Myrdhin Reynolds.

It is necessary for us to know what Dzogchen is, how to practice it, and the result of this practice Even in Tibet it was not easy to get these teachings. They have been kept very secret since the eighth century. Even before that there were twenty-four mas- ters of Dzogchen in the Zhang-zhung Nyan-gyud lineage, all of whom realized .Jalu ('ja'-lus), or the Rainbow Body. However, each of them only gave the transmission to a single disciple. [1] Furthermore, from the eighth century until today this Dzogchen lineage has remained unbroken. It was kept very secret, but now in the second half of the twentieth century because circumstances have changed, both the Dakinis and the Guardians have given permission to teach Dzogchen much more openly. [2]

I just had a realization!

Yes, the Buddhists need all the help they can get.

You are right - so send money now!  Everything you've got would be a start.

All this ever required was appropriate moderation...

However, now that anyone with owner permissions can moderate their own threads, all the problems with Pseudobhuddist trolls (e.g. Simple_Jack, alwayson/Rongzom Fan, etc...) are over and, speaking for myself, I can enjoy the Hindu Discussion in peace again.

As far as the Buddhist Discussion is concerned, anyone could employ exactly the same strategy and tactics (unless, of course, they're just here to play Games)...

:)

• Like 1

Oh, I think I will start out with some spiritually uplifting dogma and see how that goes.

Cash will be fine.

• Like 1

All this ever required was appropriate moderation...

However, now that anyone with owner permissions can moderate their own threads, all the problems with Pseudobhuddist trolls (e.g. Simple_Jack, alwayson/Rongzom Fan, etc...) are over and, speaking for myself, I can enjoy the Hindu Discussion in peace again.

As far as the Buddhist Discussion is concerned, anyone could employ exactly the same strategy and tactics (unless, of course, they're just here to play Games)...

:)

I do not wish to be dismissed as an etc. thank you very much.

That is never enough.  They need the leg too.

How about some internal organs - I hear they fetch a good price on the international market.

• Like 1

I must say, 'tis refreshing to see how tranquil and harmonious the Buddhist Discussion subforum is these days.

Quite inspirational, really.

• Like 1