Leon Frost

Weird perspective on hexes/curses/"black magic." Thoughts?

I was doing my Kunlun today and I found my mind drifting into the concept of vengeful spells, kind of on its own. It's something I've always had a huge aversion to, because I've always believed that an act of vengeance or so-called darkness probably opens one up to some bad repercussions.

That's why I found it so strange to suddenly feel this new perspective, which just kind of came to me as intuition during my spontaneous movement. The perspective is the idea that "hexes" or whatever you may wish to call them perhaps act as a medium to force others to come face to face with their own karma.

Some people go through life boldly facing their own demons through purification, but others go through life completely ignorant of the ill effects they have on others. What if, for those people, it is in fact purifying to be confronted with a spell that torments them until they deal with their sins and better themselves? Something like the Taoist "disturbing ghosts" spell, something that affects peoples' dreams and forces them to empathize with the pain they've caused others, at which point said torment ceases? This would, ultimately, cause a form of self-improvement where otherwise they may never have stopped to think about where they need betterment.

I don't know, just some weird thoughts that came to me out of the blue. I'm no spellworker by any means, nor do I necessarily intend to pursue it - what do the more experienced folks around here think of this musing?

• Like 1

The thing with karma and retribution is that most people don't remember their past lives. So retribution is just tossed back and forth nonstop without knowing why.

Very very rarely. More like some dumb ass magician's ego gets overactive and they feel they need to get revenge on folks. Now I've met some who feel they are the bringer of people's karma. I have yet to meet one like this where it is more than their own personal delusions.

• Like 1

The thing with karma and retribution is that most people don't remember their past lives. So retribution is just tossed back and forth nonstop without knowing why.

What about present life karma, though?

Very very rarely. More like some dumb ass magician's ego gets overactive and they feel they need to get revenge on folks. Now I've met some who feel they are the bringer of people's karma. I have yet to meet one like this where it is more than their own personal delusions.

Yeah, I can definitely see the potential for ego delusion here. I'm just wondering if "reap what you sow"-esque spells inherently act as purification because they confront people with what they've done. I know from some of my practices, being confronted with your own actions can really bring about changes for good. So, if external means bring the same sort of self-reflection for others, does that not also stand to bring about changes for good in that person?

Does negativity breed more negativity, or does it elicit positive change?

"The rich get richer and the poor get poorer" is a popular saying, and very likely a truism that applies to many aspects of life. That would be like negativity breeding more negativity...and positivity breeding more positivity.

Another thing to think about: people literally look in the mirror, and how many of us say that we're overweight, yet don't do what it takes to change that? They know what to do, but it's just not happening.

Pretty much everyone. Like 95% of people.

It does happen that every once in a while, someone has the willpower to change themselves...but it's wishful thinking that holding up a mirror to the person is going to cause them to see the error of their ways. They probably cherish their ways, and totally identify with that already.

Most of us have this wishful thinking of being able to change others, because most of us naturally poke and prod at people a little bit when we see them doing something we don't entirely agree with. Especially family members. If we can look in our own "mirror" and change ourselves away from ever micromanaging other people's lives, just that would be an amazing miracle.

And human beings don't have the wisdom to be able to discern whether someone is ready for a life lesson or not. Even the fates don't do that great of a job at it...because miserable situations don't always equal character development! There's already enough misery in our world. Seems to me, it takes the spiritual equivalent of being the greatest brain surgeon in the world, in order to effectively heal someone's karma through having them get passing grades on their life lessons.

Just some thoughts to share with you.

Edited by Aetherous

I was doing my Kunlun today and I found my mind drifting into the concept of vengeful spells, kind of on its own. It's something I've always had a huge aversion to, because I've always believed that an act of vengeance or so-called darkness probably opens one up to some bad repercussions.

That's why I found it so strange to suddenly feel this new perspective, which just kind of came to me as intuition during my spontaneous movement. The perspective is the idea that "hexes" or whatever you may wish to call them perhaps act as a medium to force others to come face to face with their own karma.

Some people go through life boldly facing their own demons through purification, but others go through life completely ignorant of the ill effects they have on others. What if, for those people, it is in fact purifying to be confronted with a spell that torments them until they deal with their sins and better themselves? Something like the Taoist "disturbing ghosts" spell, something that affects peoples' dreams and forces them to empathize with the pain they've caused others, at which point said torment ceases? This would, ultimately, cause a form of self-improvement where otherwise they may never have stopped to think about where they need betterment.

I don't know, just some weird thoughts that came to me out of the blue. I'm no spellworker by any means, nor do I necessarily intend to pursue it - what do the more experienced folks around here think of this musing?

Active participation in this has quantum negative results for the perpetrator. It is like sending a negative thought but many times more damaging. It is like solving world hunger with GMO crops and creating Monsanto for the benefit of individual farmers or adding a species where it does not belong in order to get ride of a particular "pest". Movement into this area is a tightrope with no benifits. It is a top down movement but with blinders and no understanding of the actual consequences. It is a million miles beyond blind egotistical naïveté - it is entirely wrong thinking.

• Like 1

Interesting account here: http://www.inominandum.com/blog/field-report-attack-magic/

As the account mentions, ethics are crucial. From a Buddhist perspective:

Practicing the spells of black magic,
like deadly weapons -
I might be able to cast them, I might not.
Not buying the knife that cuts my own throat,
May I truly practice the sublime teachings.
Edited by rex

There are already forces in place that take care of karma. By surrendering the actions to a higher power, you are effectively reducing the karmic "cost" for the action, whether positive or negative. Now, understand that this is beneficial in reducing overall karma, which needs to be burnt through before moksha. This might not be proper advice for a witchcraft thread, but, whatever.

Basically, you're gonna do what you're gonna do. Asking for moral advice isn't going to change something you've already decided for or against. Everyone has a different background, different views, different ways of approaching spirituality as well. People's goals differ, and their path leads them to their goal. You are the only one who determines your goal, and therefor, establishes your own path.

If you believe that performing black magic/k is the proper thing to do in your life or your path at this time, then that's what you've got to do. Look within, or to a higher power. Ask, "is this the right thing?" I have no doubt you'll get the answer you're looking for. Trust yourself.

In Christianity,

God authored a system of cause and effect.

It is man who causes suffering, pain and death by choosing things which result in suffering, pain and death. It's called sin.

The result is that men recognize that things are not the way they are supposed to be, and acknowledge God as God.

God says that when men do not acknowledge him as God, he gives them what they want (to be gods to themselves) and lets them wallow in the consequences.

So the purpose of your sin is to make me miserable, and turn to, and acknowledge God.

The reason the place is a mess is because we have so many gods running around. ;)

The underlying principle is not too different from karma. And Job said that you reap what you sow:

Job 4:8 Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same.

If you are going to use black magic and curse people ... at least do it like a 'professional' ;

" An oracle concerning Egypt. Behold, the Lord is riding on a swift cloud and comes to Egypt; and the idols of Egypt will tremble at his presence, and the heart of the Egyptians will melt within them. And I will stir up Egyptians against Egyptians, and they will fight, each against another and each against his neighbor, city against city, kingdom against kingdom; and the spirit of the Egyptians within them will be emptied out, and I will confound their counsel; and they will inquire of the idols and the sorcerers, and the mediums and the necromancers; and I will give over the Egyptians into the hand of a hard master, and a fierce king will rule over them, declares the Lord God of hosts. And the waters of the sea will be dried up, and the river will be dry and parched, ...

... and the all time favourite and devastating 10 fold curse; may your (and it will too ! ) water turn to blood, frogs lice and wild animals plague you, your animals get diseased, you get covered in pustules , sores and boils, hail, storms and bushfires, then a swarm of insects, perpetual darkness and just to top it off .... we are going to kill your kids.

Now ... that's a curse ! :o

(It's even worse than the New Guinea Headhunter's 'Ultimate Insult' .... and believe me, that really does take topping ! )

Edited by Nungali

and also ... like all good cursers ... ' ... and I have the 'powers' to back it up ! "

and also like them .... - it never happens .

As others have pointed out, this is probably a dangerous position to take as a would-be hexer. But if you are the one whose hexed it might be just perfect. Along with doing whatever necessary to come out from under the bad spell, it might be useful to examine the possible lessons such misfortune brings.

Liminal

Sounds like a justification to me.  Folks come up with sorts of fancy "I'm not really doing black magic because of such and such"; but should just admit it.  Obviously one would have to have some attachment to the situation and the person to even give a crap in the first place, but further have the person bother you so much you feel they must suffer!

Not that I think it's always a bad thing in the first place, I've just spent a few decades watching people justify, using different reasons, how and why they can curse someone to make the person's life miserable, because that person most obviously deserves it.  No one is perfect, everyone has done imperfect acts.  What is to make us think the other person is any worse than we are?  Usually not, whenever I hear people talk about it.  How about a spell where both the caster and the person being cast upon get what's coming? :D 

Or just admit one wants to see that person suffer, then do some inner work and figure out why one feels that way.  Or just open up the galdrabok and make a proper go of it instead of whitewashing things ;)

• Like 1

In imagining a way to cause harm, one lives it. In imagining a way to cause love, one lives it. 

If someone is being kind, be thankful and Love them. 

If someone is being cruel or unkind, be extra thankful and Love them.  It is only through those who offer experiences of cruelty that enable us to recognize and appreciate experiences of kindness. 

When disliking something, this is yourself choosing to suffer disliking.  In doing so, one chooses to trade there own peace and contentment for this experience of being upset.  

Many claim they only want peace and kindness, yet paradoxically when given the opportunity to throw there own peace an kindness away, they are more than willing to do so for most any reason from traffic etiquette to perceived cruelty/rudeness.

There is nothing another being can do that impacts ones ability to choose peaceful contentment of Now.  Every alternative is the conscious choice to pointlessly contribute more suffering to a realm that already has plenty. 

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

• Like 1