manitou

Which books sit on your nightstand?

I don't think they were familiar with the Dao De Jing or Zhuangzi (not sure what, if any, English translations existed then).  

Yes, this is interesting actually.  Emerson made reference to Confucius and, I think, Mencius, but I don't remember anything from the DDJ.

• Like 1

Yes, this is interesting actually. Emerson made reference to Confucius and, I think, Mencius, but I don't remember anything from the DDJ.

Hmmm. I checked on something.... Looks like the earliest English translation is by John Chalmers in 1868. I believe Emerson and Thoreau had some other translations by Chalmers (likely Confucius and Mencius). Thoreau died in 1862, but it is possible that Emerson may have read it later in life.

I know a Latin translation would've been available to them, and they both knew Latin -- but I am not sure how available that translation was in early 19th-century America.

Their responses to reading this would have been very interesting, to be sure!

I dont have those books, but I came across them last week and just took a look at them ... seems interesting ...

• The dawn of the sixth sun
  • The Toltec secret 

Author: Sergio Magana

So this stuff supposed to be from oral Toltec tradition ... the stuff Carlos Castaneda wrote about in his very well known books ... Any info of credibility ... :)

post-52082-0-53525100-1461877477_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

With all the recent mentions of Emerson, I began reading a slender volume by Richard Geldard, The Spiritual Teachings of Ralph Waldo Emerson.  I'm almost halfway finished and its the best book of Geldard's (he's written a few books on the Pre-Socratics also)-- a lovely companion to Emerson's work -- full of warmth, and not a difficult read.

Still pacing myself on the Transcendentalist Reader and Dante's Divine Comedy (still in Purgatory, halfway there!).  The Commedia is interesting because it is less about supernatural realms than about the various potentialities (good and bad) of the human individual in vertical relation with the divine.  It's funny that so much of the Christian imagery of heaven and hell doesn't come from the Bible but from Dante, who populates these mythical realms with not only Biblical figures, but Greco-Roman heroes and mythical creatures too: Cato in Purgatory (in spite of his suicide!), Brutus and Cassius placed in the same (lowest) level of hell as Judas, and of course Vergil as the pilgrim's "tour guide," etc. 

• Like 2

Still pacing myself on the Transcendentalist Reader and Dante's Divine Comedy (still in Purgatory, halfway there!).  The Commedia is interesting because it is less about supernatural realms than about the various potentialities (good and bad) of the human individual in vertical relation with the divine.  It's funny that so much of the Christian imagery of heaven and hell doesn't come from the Bible but from Dante, who populates these mythical realms with not only Biblical figures, but Greco-Roman heroes and mythical creatures too: Cato in Purgatory (in spite of his suicide!), Brutus and Cassius placed in the same (lowest) level of hell as Judas, and of course Vergil as the pilgrim's "tour guide," etc. 

After that rather heavy main course you’re digesting, you might enjoy for dessert a taste of mythopoeia in the form of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. He also uses much Christian imagery but  radically subverts (inverts) the message. 

“Pullman has identified three major literary influences on His Dark Materials: the essay On the Marionette Theatre by Heinrich von Kleist, the works of William Blake, and, most important, John Milton's Paradise Lost, from which the trilogy derives its title. The trilogy also alludes to ideas from physics, philosophy and theology”.

• Like 2

After that rather heavy main course you’re digesting, you might enjoy for dessert a taste of mythopoeia in the form of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. He also uses much Christian imagery but  radically subverts (inverts) the message. 

“Pullman has identified three major literary influences on His Dark Materials: the essay On the Marionette Theatre by Heinrich von Kleist, the works of William Blake, and, most important, John Milton's Paradise Lost, from which the trilogy derives its title. The trilogy also alludes to ideas from physics, philosophy and theology”.

I've heard good things about Pullman.  I'll add this to my wish list!  Thanks for the recommendation, Yueya! 

• Like 1

Finished Geldard's The Spiritual Teachings of Emerson -- well worth the read.  

On a related note, I found this interesting book on Amazon tying Emerson and the DDJ in a rather creative way: 

http://amzn.com/0679643397

The Tao of Emerson -- the DDJ on one side, and excerpts of Emerson on the other page functioning as a sort of commentary on the DDJ.  Putting that one on the wish list for sure! 

So now I've begun Daoist Meditation: The Purification of the Heart Method of Meditation and Discourse on Sitting and Forgetting (Zuo Wang Lun by Si Ma Cheng Zhen).  

I'm curious as to see what similarities and differences this will have with shikantaza ("just sitting" in Soto Zen) which is predominantly what I have practiced as far as sitting meditation goes.  

• Like 3

Great books, disappointing movie...

• Like 1

Great books, disappointing movie...

Agreed, both about the books and the movie.

Another of my favourites is the Farseer series of books by Robin Hobb.  This genre of so called fantasy allows authors to explore areas that are generally off limits to mainstream literature; in particular extrasensory perception. And in this area Hobb’s is masterful. Her stories have helped me gain insight into these abilities as they manifest in my own life. To my observation the latent potential of such psychic abilities that many people have is amplified by those of us with a sensitivity who adopt a more spiritual lifestyle.  And her excellent story telling ability makes her works a delightful pleasure to read. 

Lunatic

The rise and fall of an American asylum

I just visited the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in West Virginia. Creepy.

The building  itself is the largest hand cut stone building in Western Hemisphere.

I am reading the book now.

It spans 150 years and goes as far back as Abe Lincoln time-so for me it is a real history lesson...

My son and I took a walk through the asylum-sections were preserved like a museum. We did not take the offered tour-because it is not my thing...we saw plenty walking most of the first floor.

A room had shackles so as to lock down in an x shape someone standing.binding the wrists and ankles.

A long crib like cage where they would rock people to get them calm after raising it off the floor.

Electrocution looking like chairs for some kind of shock therapy.

Lobotomies were performed there as well.

Framed straight jackets

blown up newspaper article of escaped patients/convicts.

They had in one room flags with quotes on them from staff or former patients.

I took a photo of a few of these.

My favorite:

Well, see they would glance

over at me, but no, I would just watch them

and just dream about who they were

And I kept thinking,

"well I'm the king of this castle,

here you know."

"this is my home, you know.

Come on in. I'll show you around."

Fascinating but brutally sad some stories.

• Like 1

right now no books. just matches and candle for light at night.

Edited by sagebrush
  • Like 1

World Religions: A Historical Approach (third edition) - S.A. Nigosian

The Hobbit - Tolkien

Anyone have any good Hindu, Buddhism, or Taoism books to aid me on my quest ?!?

i just finished

Gerth, H. H., and C. Wright Gills. From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press. 1946. Print.

James, William. The Varieties of Religious Experience. San Bernardino, CA. Renaissance Classics. 2012. Print.

Durkheim, Emile. The Elementary Forms of Religious Life. Trans. Cosman, Carol. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001. Print

Anyone read:

Opening the Energy Gates of your Body by B.K. Frantzis

Or

The Little Book of Meditation by William Bodri

???

I just got them in the mail and Im about to dive in

Was going to re read the Tibetan book of living and dying but I for some reason I always put off reading :/

Michael Brown - the presence process; and alchemy of the heart.

@yasjua: yes anadi is incredible humourless!!!! .... it is actually quite funny :-)

• Like 1

"A shaman is a healer--often indigenous--who is recognized as such by her or his community. I use the term spirit walker  or shamanic practitioner to distinguish the essence of what it means to be a shaman apart from the role within the community." Spirit Walking: A Course in Shamanic Power by Evelyn Rysdyk 

An important distinction that not many people make. Appreciated this and am enjoying the book so far. 

https://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Walking-Course-Shamanic-Power/dp/1578635411/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1482542761&sr=8-7&keywords=spirit+walker

• Like 1

Have a stack going... have read and re-read these over the years. :wub:

Play of Consciousness by: Swami Muktananda

This House is on Fire by: Shri Anandi Ma

Consciousness is Everything by: Swami Shankarananda

Healing Promise of Qi by: Roger Jahnke

Bhagawan Nityananda of Ganeshpuri by: Swami Muktananda

Barefoot in the Heart: Remembering Neem Karoli Baba by: Keshav Das

• Like 1