Sign in to follow this  
Taomeow

An alpha test proposed

I see in the PPD we can delete (or hide) other peoples posts.  I thought we could edit them too.  Looking at it now, I can't.  Is that because I didn't set it up that way or that is it too much power for even a PPD?

• Like 2

I see in the PPD we can delete (or hide) other peoples posts.  I thought we could edit them too.  Looking at it now, I can't.  Is that because I didn't set it up that way or that is it too much power for even a PPD?

I think there is a setting to allow editing others posts....   but that seems... just... wrong...  but welcome to discuss it in this context.

• Like 4

No, editing others' posts is not cool under any circumstances.

Experience: The Tea House.  There was, or maybe still is, an admin named Becca there.  She edited people's posts as a regular endeavor.  Removed what you said, inserted what she thought you should have said instead.  If she was a better writer than me, a better taoist, a better human being and all other things "better" that her editing implied, maybe she would be doing me a favor.   But I didn't think so, to tell you the truth.  And I couldn't wrap my mind around others putting up with that -- except, well, people do put up with certain things for the sake of remaining part of a community, that's the whole point, we're all starved for "our tribe" in RL, or at least many of us are, hence attempts to join and make work a virtual one.  It's not about information.  It's about tribal instincts.  Anyway, back to Becca --  I left after the very first unsuccessful attempt to explain to her how extremely uncool what she was doing was.  Never once went back.  Ran across this same practice once again as I recall, at a health related site.  The owner was a former newspaper editor.  He thought everything needed to be edited, and also hated the social-media-engendered format of communication, and consequently  edited all posts to the specs of a newspaper article.  Again, no convincing him that it's control freakism meets grandeur mania, so I dropped out. 

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 4

I think quotes are OK for as long as the quoted party doesn't object.  If he/she does, they are not OK.  IMO. 

so no creative editing replacing there text with 'on deeper consideration I've concluded thelerner is completely 110% right."    :P 

• Like 2

The Alpha Test has grown legs.  :)

See the new Forum:     Wéi Wú Wéi - 為無為

Please read BOTH Pinned Topics to gain an understanding of the expectations of participation and registering for higher level permissions to start and oversee topics.

• Like 1

The Next Stage in Rollout will be that the Buddhist Sub-forum will have the Owner Permissions, starting tomorrow.

See the new Forum:     Wéi Wú Wéi - 為無為

Please read BOTH Pinned Topics to gain an understanding of the expectations of participation and registering for higher level permissions to start and oversee topics**.

** If you have already received the Owner Permissions for WWW, there is no further request for the Buddhist Sub-forum area.

• Like 1

The Buddhist Sub-Forum and Buddhist Textual Studies area are setup with the "Anarchist" group which has Owner Permissions.

The Buddhist Sub-Forum and Buddhist Textual Studies area are setup with the "Anarchist" group which has Owner Permissions.
in www? So we know who is operating the thread?

in www? So we know who is operating the thread?

I don't understand your questions.

Anyone who starts a thread is the "Original Poster", aka OP in many uses.

What we have done here is to give the OP, Owner of a topic, higher level permissions.  I have choosen to call it Owner Permissions.

It just means that wherever the Owner Permissions are extended, those areas have higher lever permissions *possible*... meaning, if someone received those permissions.

I have asked Sean to create a graphic which will attach to a member with the Owner Permissions so people will know.

• Like 2

You answered well ,but for clarity , ill say I didnt see the Buddhist section moved to www and it looked exactly the same, and before posting to the thread Id want to be very clear on the Op`s authorities.

In the past some in that section have been rather unwelcoming,,,and I dont want to put my foot in where I am going to end up resenting that.

Nothing will get moved... the permission will 'move' to the existing area... but for now, it is unfortunately very unclear who is starting a thread with or without the permissions.  

• Like 2

maybe, for the time being, ( or maybe longer than that)

people with owner permissions can make a standard statement in the first post, starting with it.

like: this thread is owned by me, i expect contributors to conform to...well, whatever it is that the OP wants.

When they start with it, it is visible when you click open a thread on the startpage ( or whatever its called- the view new posts page)

Until now I have never looked where a thread originated so the message from taomeow in a thread she owns came as a surprise, and gave me a bellylaugh.

• Like 1

As that was in the WWW area, I would just expect anything started there is likely Owner Permissions... 

I'd just as soon not burden an OP with too many rules but if this really gets too confusing then it may be needed.

I would say it is optional but is a good idea.

I asked about the graphics again, so I'm hoping we'll get something soon.

As that was in the WWW area, I would just expect anything started there is likely Owner Permissions... 

I'd just as soon not burden an OP with too many rules but if this really gets too confusing then it may be needed.

I would say it is optional but is a good idea.

I asked about the graphics again, so I'm hoping we'll get something soon.

you're right of course, but i am a bit stupid  ^_^

Sign in to follow this