Dfarro

Daoist Statue Identification (Possibly Fukurokuju?)

post-112480-0-30324400-1427182632_thumb.jpg

Hey, so somebody I know purchased the statue in the photo and it has somehow made its way to me. I'm curious to know if anybody has any idea which deity or sage the statue is of. I was thinking Fukurokuju, one the seven lucky gods but the figure seems too tall and slender... Anyway if anybody has any idea help would be appreciated. :)

• Like 1

This is Shou (Sau), one of the three Star Gods (Fu, Lu, Shou).  He is known as the Old Man of the South Pole, the God of Longevity.

The star of the South Pole (Canopus) in Chinese astrology is believed to control the life span of humans.  Shou, its ruler (and/or its incarnation), is depicted with a high domed forehead, the staff, and the peach -- the peach is from Xi Wangmu's garden and confers immortality.  Sometimes he also carries a gourd with the elixir of life.

Congrats on obtaining the statue.  In feng shui it is considered auspicious to have in the house, especially if Shou is positioned so as to have unobstructed view of the main entrance.  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 6

This is Shou (Sau), one of the three Star Gods (Fu, Lu, Shou).  He is known as the Old Man of the South Pole, the God of Longevity.

The star of the South Pole (Canopus) in Chinese astrology is believed to control the life span of humans.  Shou, its ruler (and/or its incarnation), is depicted with a high domed forehead, the staff, and the peach -- the peach is from Xi Wangmu's garden and confers immortality.  Sometimes he also carries a gourd with the elixir of life.

Congrats on obtaining the statue.  In feng shui it is considered auspicious to have in the house, especially if Shou is positioned so as to have unobstructed view of the main entrance.  

Thank you very much for your help! :)

• Like 1