I just discovered this symbol tonight! I've had dreams about it thinking it was something I made up, but it's real!!!

What I find fascinating is that it's the Japanese interpretation of the Yin Yang. But what I want to know is where did it came from exactly. Where did the birth of this symbol arise? Are there any books related to its origins (I'm having trouble finding any)?

I need to know!

I found Barry Ichman's The Tao of Ninpo tonight on Amazon hoping that it might trace back to the origins of this fascinating symbol:

Inyo.jpg

And of course there's you guys who can help me with your vast wisdom and knowledge on this very subject.

:ph34r:

Edited by coglet

looks more like the moon passing in front of the sun to me. Why do you say it'd the Japanese yin/yang? I've never heard that before, thanks.

I like this. (But sorry, I know nothing about it..)

looks more like the moon passing in front of the sun to me.

The sun-moon thing works though, doesn't it?

The cool, small, hazy moon vs the hot, big, bright sun;

when the moon reflects sunlight, it borrows the sun's yang aspect;

when the sun gets eclipsed by the moon, we're shown how yin may overcome yang, blocking out all light (if only for a moment)

Also of course in simplified Chinese, yin 阴 and yang 阳 are made with moon 月 and sun 日

• Like 1

The sun-moon dynamic is very present. I see more than that though, I see:

Universe and solar system.

Membrane and nucleus.

Environment and embryo.

White and yolk.

Etc.

Here is the name of the symbol in Japanese: 陰陽.

I find this symbol to be beautiful and resonate with my core philosophy.

I'm going to dedicate my life to finding out as much information about this symbol as possible.

-EDIT-

It also reminds me of the last boss in Kirby's Dreamland 3:

1456530-zero.png

Zero.

Edited by coglet

From the link:

In-Yo Symbol

In Japan, the dual qualities of ‘yin’ and ‘yang’ are known as ‘in’ and ‘yo’ respectively.  ‘Inyodo’, meaning ‘The Way of Yin and Yang’ is Japanese feng shui.

The in-yo symbol has a large circle that represents the universe. Within this and connecting with it at just one point, there is a smaller circle. The larger area is usually white or sliver, the smaller circle is red or occasionally black. When red, it reflects the image of the sun disc on the Japanese flag and the silver / white crescent is seen as representative of the moon.

This symbol is used by some Japanese karate organisations.

A variation of this symbol is where the white circle contains a black circle that contains a white circle that contains a black circle, implying that this goes on and on to infinity.

Good stuff, and I was in the celestial ballpark with my sun/moon image.

I like the "connecting with it at just one point," part. That's space touching time, or the stems and branches merging. That tiny spot where they two come together is the here and now.

It's an intrinsic part of the complete yin/yang model.

For information on Japanese Taoist/Shinto cosmology, try first the Kojiki (various translations available online free), and the book The Looking-Glass God by Nahum Stiskin.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1