4bsolute

How to hear silence?

How to hear silence between/inside sound? That means how to perceive silence (emptiness of audible energy) in a noisy environment

Do you know of a precise practice?

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 1

In your direct experience examine where sound comes from and where it goes to.

Then examine what it moves through and arises within while you are aware of it.

Then look at what it is that is aware of sound.

Does not sound arise from, goes to and move within silence? and is it not silence which is aware of sound?

• Like 5

In your direct experience examine where sound comes from and where it goes to.

Then examine what it moves through and arises within while you are aware of it.

Then look at what it is that is aware of sound.

Does not sound arise from, goes to and move within silence? and is it not silence which is aware of sound?

Couldn't have put it better with words

• hearing silence between sound

This is being done by - I can't quite explain yet. And to me it was the most difficult in terms of actual comprehension. Because our environments are soo noisy. So where should there be silence?

I pesonally have discovered it this morning and it was beyond pleasant. I woke up early and heard many birds outside singing their beautiful hymn to the Sun. No other sounds. I went back to bed and listened very comfortably and there it happened intuitively:

I was knowing what I was doing but I can not reconstruct it (for now). I was listening and letting go of the sounds. It required concentration and I have never consciously concentrated on sound before. But it happened and appeared to be that the rhythm of each song fragment was setting like the Sun in my audible perception. It was extraordinary fluent. As if each bird song fragment from start to finish was being birthed and died again. A sense of deep peace overcame me.

A pleasant feeling was being felt in my kidneys and I remembered that my ears are quoting TCM directly related to my hearing sense. That the kidneys are opening up "into" the ears. Mantak Chia also spoke about putting the ears to rest on the kidneys regarding "Sealing the Five Senses". Which seems to be nothing else than increase the space element in all of them and bringing them to a peaceful state.

Was my last post about it. So the process is correct and I will simply continue with what opened up by itself at that day

Some suggestions -

The first step is to learn to actively listen to silence. 

We are accustomed to listen to sounds but not silence.

Start by listening to the silence in your own head.

Listen for the silence that exists when the internal voices are quiet.

Gradually become familiar with that process. 

Once you get a handle on how to listen to the silence it is time to actually hear the silence.

Hearing the silence is connecting with the silence and remaining in contact with that silence in a very active, engaged way.

Hearing silence is to listening to silence as tasting chocolate is to looking at chocolate.

It's a completely different aspect of the experience.

Once we listen and hear the silence actively, it is time to let go of the effort and relax into the silence, settle and stabilize in the experience of hearing the silence of our internal speech without effort.

When that has stabilized, you can begin to allow the thoughts to enter, and even the internal dialogue, while still maintaining a connection with that silence from which they arise and to which they return. 

With time it can feel as if there is no difference between the silence and the sounds, they are of the same fabric.

Once that is stable, the same process can be applied to the external sounds. 

The external sounds are a bit more challenging than the internal voices but the same process works. 

What a wonderful practice it is!

• Like 2

I call silence the Sigh-Lens. It's also called the "inner ear method" by Buddha or the "sound-current" method as the translation of Guanyin.

As Jetsun said - the silence listens to itself - or rather the more you listen, the more you realize the silence is listening to you.

If sound is understood properly it is actually infinite resonance - this is called "time-frequency uncertainty" or the Fourier Uncertainty in science.

But a Buddhist monk wrote a book on it - as the high pitch humming sound he would focus on listening to for his meditation.

So the highest pitch you hear externally - when focused internally as innersound - actually resonates into ultrasound.

Sound is proven to activate the vagus nerve via the inner ear - this is how the chills are experienced - the vagus nerve increases dopamine.

The Mozart Effect in music is 60 beats per minute from the slow middle movements of Baroque concerts.

I just went to a Baroque concert and during the slow movement many of the old people were nodding off asleep.

Actually the Mozart Effect increases alpha waves which also increases serotonin and right brain dominance - and so it enables better visualization memorization.

Then 7 beats per second is the theta brain wave - REM dominant dreaming while awake trance - so the most common drum trance beat is 7 beats per second.

This is induced by when doing horse stance and the legs begin vibrating - they will vibrate at 7 beats per second.

That's actually the ELF waves that resonate the piezoelectric energy of the collagen and bones.

So actually to understand sound properly it is a complementary opposite of overtones and undertones.

So for bird song for example - they use natural harmonics, not Western tuning - and so the natural harmonics resonate into ultrasound.

For example there's  a product called "sonic bloom" using bird song harmonics - which make plants grow twice as fast - because the stomata of the plants are resonated open so that the stomata - the skin cells - can absorb the nutrients from the morning dew.

So anyway - ultrasound has now been proven to resonate the microtubules of the cells of plants and animals - the microtubules then have quantum resonance which is proton resonance of the water and this creates sonofusion.

So ultrasound activates sonofusion as acoustic cavitation - the water bubble collapses as a sonic boom - and this cavitation causes the frequency of the sound to resonate into light frequency as a synchronized laser light - sonofusion hotter than the sun.

So in the West we think of sound as just air vibrations - in fact for Shamanic trance sound it was known that repetitive harmonics create a nonlinear feedback - like a pumping but the results are always changing due to the feedback of overtones and undertone subharmonics.

This process is actually created by listening.

In the West we define sound by a visual measurement - wavelength - so we think something physical must be vibrating.

But we forget that we "listen" to sound and so in actuality there is no beginning nor end to the listening process.

It's proven by science that listening is the last perception to be lost at death.

But so when people have NDE experiences the music they hear is also open tuning - string instruments or voice singing - because the harmonics of open tuning are not logarithmic Western tuning - instead they are natural resonance harmonics like the bird songs.

So for example science has proven that human hearing is more advanced than technology - since human hearing can beat the quantum time-frequency uncertainty limit of technology - the Fourier Uncertainty.

IN reality this is just the complementary opposite harmonics in action as the infinite potential of quantum frequency is based on non-commutative logic - complementary opposites. Basic nonwestern music theory proves this.

So for example Ramana Maharshi says the highest level of meditation is called Mouna Samadhi or "silence samadhi" - and so it is this eternal listening that logically is the source of the I-thought.

For example - all our thoughts are based on the I-thought so we repeat I-I-I to get to the source of all other thoughts. Whenever a thought arises it is from the I-thought so we repeat I-I-I - but in reality the I-thought ends up being concentrated so that we have to then listen to the source of the I-thought.

Since the vagus nerve connects down to our lower body this then activates the lower tan tien and the kidney energy.

That's all for now.

• Like 3

I take my name here from an experience my wife and I shared in the deep desert of the Bad Lands.

We both, after sitting down in a deep ravine to take a break after several hours of hiking, experienced a silence so profound, it triggered a subsequent life long process of checking in on things that I have always just assumed were true, because in the midst of utter silence, there came a faint sense of vibration that grew into a deafening inner roar.  A roar so complete and utterly dense that it seemed to threaten my sense of self.

From that experience, I have come to suspect that there is no such thing as darkness.

Space is far from empty and Silence is full of sound/vibration.

As for how to trigger it, I haven't a clue.  For us, we were both in a place of deep calm, brought on by hours of walking and observing and not speaking, nor even really thinking much (on my part anyway).  It was also ridiculously hot, which for me, will often help to trigger bouts of 'no thought', as I deal with the heat, I send my awareness fully into it, completely focusing on it to the point it no longer 'affects me'. 

• Like 2

that reminds me that Chunyi qigong master says the secret sound of all things is OHM and so he can hear that when he focuses on different things - and then Master Nan, Huai-chin says when the heart spontaneously emits OHM sound that means the jing is converting to qi to open the 2nd chakra.

I experienced a loud OHM sound from my heart when I was doing a strong DMT plant dose in full lotus - and I didn't know about Master Nan, Huai-chin explaining that sound.

Seems like you tapped into that. Probably a love energy also.

• Like 2

I call silence the Sigh-Lens. It's also called the "inner ear method" by Buddha or the "sound-current" method as the translation of Guanyin.

As Jetsun said - the silence listens to itself - or rather the more you listen, the more you realize the silence is listening to you.

If sound is understood properly it is actually infinite resonance - this is called "time-frequency uncertainty" or the Fourier Uncertainty in science.

But a Buddhist monk wrote a book on it - as the high pitch humming sound he would focus on listening to for his meditation.

So the highest pitch you hear externally - when focused internally as innersound - actually resonates into ultrasound.

Sound is proven to activate the vagus nerve via the inner ear - this is how the chills are experienced - the vagus nerve increases dopamine.

The Mozart Effect in music is 60 beats per minute from the slow middle movements of Baroque concerts.

I just went to a Baroque concert and during the slow movement many of the old people were nodding off asleep.

Actually the Mozart Effect increases alpha waves which also increases serotonin and right brain dominance - and so it enables better visualization memorization.

Then 7 beats per second is the theta brain wave - REM dominant dreaming while awake trance - so the most common drum trance beat is 7 beats per second.

This is induced by when doing horse stance and the legs begin vibrating - they will vibrate at 7 beats per second.

That's actually the ELF waves that resonate the piezoelectric energy of the collagen and bones.

So actually to understand sound properly it is a complementary opposite of overtones and undertones.

So for bird song for example - they use natural harmonics, not Western tuning - and so the natural harmonics resonate into ultrasound.

For example there's  a product called "sonic bloom" using bird song harmonics - which make plants grow twice as fast - because the stomata of the plants are resonated open so that the stomata - the skin cells - can absorb the nutrients from the morning dew.

So anyway - ultrasound has now been proven to resonate the microtubules of the cells of plants and animals - the microtubules then have quantum resonance which is proton resonance of the water and this creates sonofusion.

So ultrasound activates sonofusion as acoustic cavitation - the water bubble collapses as a sonic boom - and this cavitation causes the frequency of the sound to resonate into light frequency as a synchronized laser light - sonofusion hotter than the sun.

So in the West we think of sound as just air vibrations - in fact for Shamanic trance sound it was known that repetitive harmonics create a nonlinear feedback - like a pumping but the results are always changing due to the feedback of overtones and undertone subharmonics.

This process is actually created by listening.

In the West we define sound by a visual measurement - wavelength - so we think something physical must be vibrating.

But we forget that we "listen" to sound and so in actuality there is no beginning nor end to the listening process.

It's proven by science that listening is the last perception to be lost at death.

But so when people have NDE experiences the music they hear is also open tuning - string instruments or voice singing - because the harmonics of open tuning are not logarithmic Western tuning - instead they are natural resonance harmonics like the bird songs.

So for example science has proven that human hearing is more advanced than technology - since human hearing can beat the quantum time-frequency uncertainty limit of technology - the Fourier Uncertainty.

IN reality this is just the complementary opposite harmonics in action as the infinite potential of quantum frequency is based on non-commutative logic - complementary opposites. Basic nonwestern music theory proves this.

So for example Ramana Maharshi says the highest level of meditation is called Mouna Samadhi or "silence samadhi" - and so it is this eternal listening that logically is the source of the I-thought.

For example - all our thoughts are based on the I-thought so we repeat I-I-I to get to the source of all other thoughts. Whenever a thought arises it is from the I-thought so we repeat I-I-I - but in reality the I-thought ends up being concentrated so that we have to then listen to the source of the I-thought.

Since the vagus nerve connects down to our lower body this then activates the lower tan tien and the kidney energy.

That's all for now.

Very helpful, thank you. Interesting example you have shown here with falling asleep. It is becoming unconscious. Like during the night. When we are exposed certain frequenzies, how well we can remain conscious.

Edited by 4bsolute

Beautiful exampel.

Experiment right now with repeating "I-I-I-I-I-I-i-i..." in your mind and see what you feel.

And also experiment with leading each thought that wants to come up, consciously, back to your heart. Don't ask, just do it. For as long as you can. Maybe half or an entire day.

And notice how your energy increases!

Edited by 4bsolute

How to hear silence between/inside sound? That means how to perceive silence (emptiness of audible energy) in a noisy environment

Do you know of a precise practice?

Why do not actively chase the one who listen?

Why do not actively chase the one who listen?

Is included in the (all) practice :) Let's say it will all refine or filter itself down to these primal practices. The most basic and the most direct, when all concepts are dropped. And one is only with oneself, made a fresh start and assumes to know nothing.

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 1

RESULTS: While it didn't cause them to experience more deep sleep cycles, the pink noise appeared to prolong deep sleep and to increase the size of the subject's brain waves during that period, as evinced by their EEGs.

The slow brain waves that characterize deep sleep are implicated in information processing and memory formation, and sure enough, on the mornings after those brain waves appeared to have been enhanced, the participants remembered a higher number of word pairs (an average of 22, as opposed to 13).

IMPLICATIONS: Sound stimulation has been tried before, unsuccessfully. The key here, write the researchers, is that the frequency of the sounds was in sync with the subjects' brain waves. Were this technique to be further developed, it could potentially be used to improve sleep in general, and possibly even to enhance brain activity when we're awake. Although it's even less viable, for now, than electric brain stimulation, the latter has been proposed as a way of treating Alzheimer's, fighting depression, easing pain, and the ever-popular "boosting creativity."

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/04/study-listening-to-certain-sounds-seems-to-improve-sleep/274921/

pink noise synchronized to brain waves during sleep prolongs deep sleep cycle and improves memory retention.

In sitting down, after lowering the lids, one uses the eyes to establish a plumb-line and then shifts the light downward. But if the transposition downward is not successful, then the heart is directed towards listening to the breathing. One should not be able to hear with the ear the outgoing and in taking of the breath. What one hears is that it has no tone. As soon as it has tone, the breathing is rough and superficial, and does not penetrate into the open. Then the heart must be made quite light and insignificant. The more it is released, the less it becomes; the less it is, the quieter. All at once it becomes so quiet that it stops. Then the true breathing is manifested and the form of the heart comes to consciousness.”

http://atouchofancientszhouyi.blogspot.com/

That's from the author of Secret of the Golden Flower.

Very helpful replies that were added after my last post. Thank you very much.

What a fascinating practice it is and it reveals So much about our true nature, in this one eternal present moment right here and right now.

Sense this moment with all your skill of whatever you would call it, feel into it and drink so much wisdom out of it

I take my name here from an experience my wife and I shared in the deep desert of the Bad Lands.

We both, after sitting down in a deep ravine to take a break after several hours of hiking, experienced a silence so profound, it triggered a subsequent life long process of checking in on things that I have always just assumed were true, because in the midst of utter silence, there came a faint sense of vibration that grew into a deafening inner roar.  A roar so complete and utterly dense that it seemed to threaten my sense of self.

From that experience, I have come to suspect that there is no such thing as darkness.

Space is far from empty and Silence is full of sound/vibration.

As for how to trigger it, I haven't a clue.  For us, we were both in a place of deep calm, brought on by hours of walking and observing and not speaking, nor even really thinking much (on my part anyway).  It was also ridiculously hot, which for me, will often help to trigger bouts of 'no thought', as I deal with the heat, I send my awareness fully into it, completely focusing on it to the point it no longer 'affects me'. 

I instantly remembered my first DMT experience in which I was so shocked about hearing a sudden explosive tone that was louder than anything imaginable. I had such immense respect of what was going on that I instantly dropped the recorder I had in hand and just surrendered to what was about to unfold. I can totally relate

Beautiful

From my experience, trying to evoke shunyata is not necessary legitimate thing to do (doesn't mean that it is wrong and impossible and won't bear any fruit), since this practice uses some subtle force and doing things by force just presuposes that there is a doer of these actions and that there is a grip on the goal.

If shunyata comes and goes by using force then you would have hard times constantly loosing and gaining it.

On the contrary it can just presents itself to you and whatever you do it won't wanish or goes away. It won't goe weather you think of it or no and then you will be in delight standing in the croudy place yet merged in this empty silence, barely seeing or hearing anything but that. It will even come by suprise.

I can understand your excitement .

This exercise with moving thoughts back to your heart is very good. my teacher give it to me to practice moving desires back to the heart and noticing what will happend.

Edited by Kubba
  • Like 1

try not to live next to an airport runway, or get a switch implanted in your brain to connect and disconnect the nerves from your ears...

Om 

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

If you gently place your palms on your ears, and then gently move them around, you can hear ocean wave sounds.

This simple  exercise pleasantly surprised me.  I did not move my palm around, because the friction created excessive sound. But without moving, listening to the inner sound, i could distinguish two types of sounds, both concurrently present :

1. A sound that is similar to a calm thunder of a waterfall
  2. A sound similar to electric current passing on high voltage power line - this sound also had similarity to the "OM" sound  mentioned in the Hindu scripts.   Fun coincidence is -  we have a unit related to electricity called  "Ohm"

I wonder what other sounds people here can distinguish in this little experiment.