Lataif

Can QiGong improve eyesight . . . or not (?)

Mantak Chia has an entire book devoted to improving eyesight thru QiGong.

But sorry . . . I can't help but observe that photos of Chia show him wearing glasses.  So that's not too encouraging.

I've tried his system and couldn't verify any improvement.

This was disappointing, because I had previously had some reason to think that bad eyesight was NOT a structural (physical) issue . . . but a patterned, learned behavior issue.

I had come to that provisional conclusion after several times noticing that my eyesight would get blurred during times of extreme stress.  That suggested that it could be altered by intention . .. .

Can anyone speak to this . . . (?) 

Edited by Lataif

Do you know the eye pressure points?   Pressure incrementally along the brow as one test for fleshy or pain...  But there are specific points to test. 

I've always been short-sighted but never made an effort to wear glasses. When I did, everything looked like it was in superHD - but I'd get a headache after a while.

A few days ago I looked out the window and to my amazement, everything was as clear as when I would wear glasses!

Nothing about my internal training had changed dramatically. I only swapped one technique that works with the Lower Dan Tian for another that works with it (LDT - Organ // Form for LoneMan Pai Cannibal). Whether it was changing the technique that corrected it or an increase in 'juice' corrected it, I don't know.

So, yes, internal practices can improve your eyesight. But it really depends on whether what you're practicing is potent enough  :)

• Like 1

Stress or other mental/emotional things can probably be a factor for some eye conditions, but it seems likely that various eye problems are not directly related to such things.

Dr. Ma Xuzhou in China has a whole qigong system based on eyesight improvement as part of her overall qigong system. Her qigong system (probably her family qigong system) is called the Ma LiTang Qigong system. She has 6 DVDs (some are double DVDs) out on her qigong system which include English subtitles (well, the type of English subtitles that are included on videos from China anyway). :)

Her first two DVDs in that series are focused on her eye improvement qigong for improving all sorts of eye conditions. Her eye qigong seems to be quite well known in China and elsewhere, so her eye qigong system may be pretty good, but I personally have no experience with her qigong system.

You can see a list of her qigong DVDs here (click on a picture of a DVD to get more info on that DVD):

http://www.coohk.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Ma+XuZhou+&osCsid=fc8ebe3d5fcab0905f8f01ea0a003642&submit=Search

You can see a sample video clip from one of her eye qigong DVDs here:

:)

• Like 2

NotVoid, have you tried Ma Xuzhou's system? Do you like it?

To Lataif: I don't know how old you are, but anybody older than 40 will tell you there is difference whether you start wearing glasses at 40 or at 55. Also, the speed and depth of deterioration matters as well. Mantak Chia is over 70 AFAIK, I wouldn't judge on his system based on his wearing glasses at such age.

My distance sight was good and is now very very good, I attribute it to my Qi Gong practice but did not due specific Qi Gong eye exercises

Pressing on the points above the eyeballs slightly inward of center of eye on the rigid bone eye socket above with a bit of push to the eyeball itself will definitely clarify many a day. I also found that dropping sunglasses altogether has been beneficial - as a guy who lived with them most of my life as a skier and sailor it is odd to see me without them. A clear or yellow lens to prevent wind burn has been a consideration but so far unnecessary.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Eyesight is varying according to expansion/contraction of the eyeball itself (mostly fluid pressure) and also according to expansion/contraction of the lens.

The relation between these two is also affecting the flexibility of the whole eye system to move, to focus.

Functions of liver and kidneys is affecting eyesight also - especially in relation to internal eye pressure, but also in relation to lens movement.

Diet of too much liquid and expansive-energy foods like sugar and alcohol, combined with too much meat and/or refined salt (very contracting to tissues) will impede normal form and actions of eye.

Nearsighted or farsighted is just different proportions of excess acting on eye structure and form.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

I'm thinking that if a person finds their spirit they will naturally improve their eyesight. Because they will actually be using their eyes to see. this will truly exercise the eyes. 

Also the Buddha talks about the 5 eyes. when one opens the celestial eye they no longer need the physical eyes to see. That is what i'm banking on. 

I think glasses cause people to get lost in their mind. It creates a barrier between them and reality. So in a way they hinder a person's ability to see. 

• Like 1

Hi Lataif,

I began Qigong and cultivation with the secret hope that the overall healing effects of meditation would produce benefits for my eyes (myopia).

It doesn't.

Meditate with eyes open or closed, gazing at the nose... it doesn't matter: your eyes will remain the same, even if you get some bizarre symptoms like reddening, etc... it's all temporary and won't improve your eyesight.

My very down-to-earth no-nonsense conclusion is that eyesight is related to a great extent with "tensions" in the muscles around the eyes and unless you do something very specific (eye exercises for hours) to heal them, nothing will improve with ordinary qigong regimes.

For example, meditation will not relax the muscles that prevent your head from falling (fortunately), but by the same mechanism it will not relax the eyes.

I've not yet healed my eyes because it seems to be a very very slow process that requires a lot of patience.

Bates method is the way. :closedeyes:

Hi Lataif,

I began Qigong and cultivation with the secret hope that the overall healing effects of meditation would produce benefits for my eyes (myopia).

It doesn't.

Meditate with eyes open or closed, gazing at the nose... it doesn't matter: your eyes will remain the same, even if you get some bizarre symptoms like reddening, etc... it's all temporary and won't improve your eyesight.

My very down-to-earth no-nonsense conclusion is that eyesight is related to a great extent with "tensions" in the muscles around the eyes and unless you do something very specific (eye exercises for hours) to heal them, nothing will improve with ordinary qigong regimes.

For example, meditation will not relax the muscles that prevent your head from falling (fortunately), but by the same mechanism it will not relax the eyes.

I've not yet healed my eyes because it seems to be a very very slow process that requires a lot of patience.

Bates method is the way. :closedeyes:

You have come to the conclusion that "it doesn't" - rather than it "has not in all that I have tried". Your quote has the energy of an atheist.

I have finally come to the very clear conclusion that it does. I am not sure it will work on myopia but the practicing of Qi Gong will / may eventually lead to improved eyesight both near and far - and it does not require specific "eye exercises". This obviously depends on the practitioner, diet and other effecting elements. So it may indeed be true that for you "it doesn't" work but that should not imply that Qi Gong is ineffective for improving eyesight in all who practice it.

Some people get their hair back - some don't.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

I improved my eyesight over about a two year period exclusively with qigong from about -5 to -2 dioptrin (not sure what this translates to in the 20/20 scale).

Then I Lasic'd the rest, lol.

• Like 2

My eyesight was steadily going down since i was 45, since i started doing qigong 2 years ago i haven't bought stronger glasses, so there something seems to be happening.

• Like 1

Any authentic spiritual practice will prevent the eyesight from deteriorating. Near and far are egoic concepts, and holding these concepts obliges the eye to focus strenuously according to the beliefs of the seer.

Overcoming egoism, through Qi Gong or other, allows the eyes to rest in a mild, relaxed gaze which is broad, expansive and sees near and far as one and the same thing. This is hugely beneficial to the eye.

Holding strict beliefs about the reality of near and far is what hurts the eye. But is is also harmful to hold strict beliefs about the nature of your own eyesight prescription. Although excessive egoic focus strains the eyes, wearing glasses weakens the eye muscles and causes them to atrophise.

Best way is to follow your practice and wear glasses as little as possible.

• Like 2

Just like you can train any muscles in your body, improving afferent/efferent communications, improving fine motor control, the ability of shen to control the chi which controls the body. My answer is yes...it can and does work

• Like 1

I think Chunyi recommends the rotating of the eyes exercise for improving eye sight along with holding the center of the palms over the eyes.

There was another lady who had a youtube testimonial of how she recovered 20-20 vision from qigong - and her eyesight had been bad. But it wasn't still posted.

There's a lot on youtube about improving eyesight through qigong.

I don't know - I noticed another qigong testimonial was taken down.

I suppose people get self-conscious or something.

This isn't the one of the lady who said she got 20-20 vision from SFQ - but anyway another eyesight improvement testimonial.

Also Yan Xin qigong master wears glasses but only because his eyes are too powerful! The glasses are not prescription - but cut down on the laser power coming out of his eyes.

• Like 1

You have come to the conclusion that "it doesn't" - rather than it "has not in all that I have tried". Your quote has the energy of an atheist.

I have finally come to the very clear conclusion that it does. I am not sure it will work on myopia but the practicing of Qi Gong will / may eventually lead to improved eyesight both near and far - and it does not require specific "eye exercises". This obviously depends on the practitioner, diet and other effecting elements. So it may indeed be true that for you "it doesn't" work but that should not imply that Qi Gong is ineffective for improving eyesight in all who practice it.

Some people get their hair back - some don't.

I think that you have no idea of what you're talking about.

There's not a single proven scientific evidence for a complete healing of the eyesight.

Well, I am currently working on my right eye. Having issues with a bubble in the sharp vision area (no idea if that is the right translation), in addition to floaters.

I know what causes it: 1. lack of sleep, too much looking at smart phones, stress, anger and tobacco. All leads to liver stagnation, and probably some other issues.

Anyway; Here is what I did..

1. Stopped using "snus" which is the same as Skoal or any other chew. 

2. Started eating alot more greens, usually via smoothies, and drinking more water.

3. Trying to sleep more and taking rests from screens

4. Doing self-acupressure on the eye points, and liver-qigong

5. Working with a blessing card (talisman) on the eye.

6. Letting go of anger and resentment (moi importante)

Result:

Within a week I have drastically reduced my long-sightedness on my eye. The "bubble" is also reduced. Yet some vision distortion remains. 

Conclusion: Yes, lifestyle and stress redux in conjunction with spesific qigong practice will dramatically improve your eye functino and possibly also affect retinal issues...

h

• Like 5

Cheshire Cat

There's not a single proven scientific evidence for a complete healing of the eyesight.

We know form the placebo effect that If the belief in anything is strong enough it can lead to pretty dramatic healing.  This is certainly the case with any Qi Gong which claims to specifically help with eyesight.  It may not have worked for you, with your sceptical mind, but there is no reason to reject it unequivocally.

Like I said before, healing can also occur at the physical level when a person's fundamental world view has shifted from that of an individual in time and space to a universal identity.  This person does not need to be scrutinising this and that with their eyes. Their desires and inclinations are broad and embracing and so their eyes are behaving differently.

• Like 3

Cheshire Cat

We know form the placebo effect that If the belief in anything is strong enough it can lead to pretty dramatic healing.  This is certainly the case with any Qi Gong which claims to specifically help with eyesight.  It may not have worked for you, with your sceptical mind, but there is no reason to reject it unequivocally.

It's not about being skeptics: it's just the understanding of the dynamics which leads to healing.

Like I said before, healing can also occur at the physical level when a person's fundamental world view has shifted from that of an individual in time and space to a universal identity.  This person does not need to be scrutinising this and that with their eyes. Their desires and inclinations are broad and embracing and so their eyes are behaving differently.

The universe is aglow with electromagnetic resonance.

You and I are beings of the infinite. Today, science tells us that the essence of nature is transcendence.

Where there is delusion, empathy cannot thrive.

It is time to take wellbeing to the next level. Eons from now, we seekers will grow like never before as we are recreated by the galaxy. Imagine a blossoming of what could be.

Only a wanderer of the dreamscape may create this osmosis of grace. You may be ruled by yearning without realizing it. Do not let it obliterate the nature of your circuit. Yes, it is possible to sabotage the things that can eliminate us, but not without wisdom on our side.

You will soon be recreated by a power deep within yourself — a power that is high-frequency, unrestricted. As you believe, you will enter into infinite potential that transcends understanding. Through Kabala, our souls are opened by ecstasy.

By condensing, we believe.

Without wonder, one cannot exist. Materialism is the antithesis of karma. The complexity of the present time seems to demand a condensing of our lives if we are going to survive.

This circuit never ends. Soon there will be a condensing of will the likes of which the galaxy has never seen. We must inspire ourselves and recreate others.

• Like 2