Sign in to follow this  
Geof Nanto

The Dao is Sacred?

my point is that sacredness goes far beyond mere experiences; it is, in some sense, a term that describes the quality of relationship that one forms with whatever one's attention is directed to in order to derive the intended result. 

I agree with the gist of what you're saying except for your expression "mere experiences". For me experiences - like, for instance, Blue Eyed Snake's account - underpin the whole thing. 

Sacredness is an attribute people imbue to certain stuff. There is no sacred attribute otherwise. What color is sacred stuff? Is it extra big, more fluid , defies laws of physics? Obviously not. Just as things have no non attributed beauty. You can feel that everything is sacred , or that nothing is. And you can decide based on this attribute ,which you assign, rules of behavior , or not, if you want them. Thats why such stuff is called illusion. You may apprehend it, but its all in your head.

• Like 3

Sacredness is an attribute people imbue to certain stuff. There is no sacred attribute otherwise. What color is sacred stuff? Is it extra big, more fluid , defies laws of physics? Obviously not. Just as things have no non attributed beauty. You can feel that everything is sacred , or that nothing is. And you can decide based on this attribute ,which you assign, rules of behavior , or not, if you want them. Thats why such stuff is called illusion. You may apprehend it, but its all in your head.

exactly!

• Like 1

Okay.  So some frogs have wings.

Next you will be telling me that fish can fly and birds can swim under water.

Okay.  So some frogs have wings.

Next you will be telling me that fish can fly and birds can swim under water.

Err ... oh no can't be bothered.

The Dao is sacred, because nobody is prepared to look.

A lot of people not only prepared to look, but went to look.

But they could not find it.

Those that found the Tao have better things to do than to talk to 

people who only know the Tao from talking the talk and not walking the walk.

They know it is more gainful to drink when thirsty and eat when hungry.

And smell roses when roses need the smelling.

Idiotic Taoist

• Like 4

The objects around you would appear stationary.

Not if they are moving.

Doesn't everyone think they're walking the walk? How would I know if I wasn't?

Well, I know I've been trying because I keep falling over.

Probably the answer is to not try so hard.

• Like 2

Not if they are moving.

True , but then ,, that's another example of not being able to tell. 

( he asked how could he tell, not how it would be if he could not tell)

Edited by Stosh

Doesn't everyone think they're walking the walk? How would I know if I wasn't?

hmmn, I get the feeling when I'm watching TV, eating fast food, yelling at the TV, surfing the internet, yelling at people on the internet,  at those moments or hours, I'm probably off the path and heading down hill.

• Like 2

hmmn, I get the feeling when I'm watching TV, eating fast food, yelling at the TV, surfing the internet, yelling at people on the internet,  at those moments or hours, I'm probably off the path and heading down hill.

Yeah, I still smoke cigarettes :D

Hold on... yeah still thinking, damn, er I mean... this is ok with me.

True , but then ,, that's another example of not being able to tell. 

( he asked how could he tell, not how it would be if he could not tell)

If they are moving at the same speed and direction as you then you think yourself stationary.

If they are moving at the same speed and direction as you then you think yourself stationary.

When are you ever walking and everything around you doesn't move relative to you? at the very least,  the ground is being traversed. 

When are you ever walking and everything around you doesn't move relative to you? at the very least,  the ground is being traversed. 

Ok I give in. :)

• Like 2

Hehehe.  TV and the internet will do that to us.  But from what I've heard from you, I think you are doing fine.

• Like 1

But this could have gone on forever.

Apech is a square shooter. Very honorable in discourse. Which is why it Could  end.

Thats walking the walk. 

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Hey Darkstar, I think your thread got off topic.

Maybe everyone is simultaneously walking the walk and not walking the walk. Thoughts? ;)

• Like 2

I find the moon follows me around, especially long walks.  Doesn't bother me though, we're old friends. 

• Like 1

Apech is a square shooter. Very honorable in discourse. Which is why it Could  end.

Thats walking the walk. 

Yeah, he got spoiled from when he was a moderator.

Sign in to follow this