Apech

Urine as Fertiliser

Hi,

I grow vegetables and while my neighbours have sheep/goats therefore piles of manure ... I don't, I use compost and wood wash but have been looking around for alternatives ... found this

http://www.sswm.info/category/implementation-tools/reuse-and-recharge/hardware/reuse-urine-and-faeces-agriculture/urine-f

... has anyone tried this?  Does it work?

(I'm serious not taking the piss ... joke for UK Bums)

• Like 2

Hi Apech,

Yes, this works really well.

You want to dilute it a lot.

And you pretty much WON'T want to store it!  Well, I didn't anyway. After a few days it REALLY stinks!

Some crops won't like it so much, but most do really well.

I only put it on the soil, not on leaves, and made no attempt to cover it over as described in the article.

I've only used it on my own small garden, but it is very effective, and it tends to keep other critters away.

Maybe humans too.   :D

• Like 1

Human waste and human activity on the soil actually changes a given area of wild land to grow different plants - ones that interact with or are somehow good for human beings.

If there is a fire in the forest, not long afterwards, "fire weed" appears. This plant is soothing to burns and also changes the burnt soil.

There are many other examples.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 3

Interesting, I thought urine was generally acidic...so didn't realize it becomes quite alkaline as it decomposes.

During storage, high pH (above 9), temperature and ammonia are the main factors for inactivating pathogens (SCHOENNING 2004). The rise of pH to above 9 occurs naturally, when urea is degraded to ammonium. At this pH, the initial concentrations of phosphate, magnesium, calcium and ammonia are no longer soluble, but precipitate forming a bottom layer containing phosphor precipitates (struvite), which can be handled as fertiliser together with the rest of the urine.

That may be something to keep in mind, as "most" plants prefer a slightly acidic-to-neutral soil pH.  And some can become susceptible to chlorosis if the soil becomes too alkaline - which would be ironic if due to "acidic" pee!

I would assume such alkalization would only be a temporary effect, though?

Edited by gendao

Hi Apech,

Yes, this works really well.

You want to dilute it a lot.

And you pretty much WON'T want to store it!  Well, I didn't anyway. After a few days it REALLY stinks!

Some crops won't like it so much, but most do really well.

I only put it on the soil, not on leaves, and made no attempt to cover it over as described in the article.

I've only used it on my own small garden, but it is very effective, and it tends to keep other critters away.

Maybe humans too.   :D

I Think what they are suggesting that storage in a sealed container for 1 - 6 months makes the urine free from bacteria and also allows solids to precipitate.  But there's an old guy who just puts it straight on ... which is smelly!  They say dig a trench and cover it.

What I was thinking was to collect and store it during winter and then mix it with wood ash and compost and apply in Feb / March just before planting out.  The same way they do with manure.  Dig the ground over, spread the stuff on and then dig over again.  Anyway it will be great to make some use of what usually goes down the drain - and will encourage me to drink more red wine so as to have a good supply ha ha!

Edited by Apech

Lotta work, Apech!

Urine is sterile when it comes out. If precipitate solids are minerals, soil needs 'em.

If you're eating or drinking bad stuff or drugs, this probably isn't a good idea anyway.

If you dilute it before application, it's not all that smelly, at least not if it rains occasionally.

If you live in a dry region, probably need to bury it or pour it into mulch, cause then it WILL stink.

Because of the dilution requirement (for the plants), you'll always have an ample supply.

Fresh or aged, you still have an excuse for more red wine...

Lotta work, Apech!

Urine is sterile when it comes out. If precipitate solids are minerals, soil needs 'em.

If you're eating or drinking bad stuff or drugs, this probably isn't a good idea anyway.

If you dilute it before application, it's not all that smelly, at least not if it rains occasionally.

If you live in a dry region, probably need to bury it or pour it into mulch, cause then it WILL stink.

Because of the dilution requirement (for the plants), you'll always have an ample supply.

Fresh or aged, you still have an excuse for more red wine...

I meant the solids as I assume they contain the minerals.  Doesn't rain that much here in certain seasons though some storms - so it tends to be a deluge or nothing.  I think I could do both - hand water with dilute and store some for major feed up in spring.  My only issue is the smell and how to piss in a bottle :)

I do it all the time, directly, at times,  just a bit on some plants I know can handle it ...  (the golden shower plant is one )

Otherwise I just piss in a bucket out side the  backyard dunny.  After a few days  I mix it with water  ( about the same as one would make cordial ) and tip it on plants I want to boost ... in that way . 

It does get smelly after longer than that, but you can use it to throw on intruders or hang it in a tree by a rope  connected to trip wire on the track to your marijuana patch . 

I also have an N vat  ( where weeds , thistles, etc dissolve and brew up in water) and a P one, the same with road kill. And a smallish seaweed and fish one ... that one is the deadliest !

One time, a guy on the property made this giant compost pile with layers of fish frames and heads in it he got from the fisherman's co-op. A bit to fishy !  It really started to go off.  I couldnt go near it. One day I thought this is ridiculous ... and tried to force myself to walk close enough to try turning it with a pitchfork ... nup!  Physically impossible, I started gagging and feeling like I was about to pass out ... I think it was eliminating gasses that were overpowering me. 

Now its made artificially 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

Good luck ... and have fun  with it  ....     :unsure:

Oh yeah ... pissing in the bottle thing ...  easy, just stick it in, no spillage that way,  just need the right size bottle ... you should try one of these

il_340x270.467312488_hay2.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

@ Nungali

I am not ashamed of the size of my bottle!!!

Wots an N Vat?  I want one.

get one of these;

1270563346rainberrles.jpg

When you weed, chuck em in and fill with water. In 3 months you will have nice N tea.  

N boosts ' rampant' growth  ( leaves, stems, etc ... too much the plant will become too soft and pliable, grow to fast, fall over, etc ) ,  P boosts 'archetypal growth'  (  flowers fruit and seed  ... too much plant will bolt and not have enough mass to produce a good crop )  K is the 'mediator' and 'health tonic'. 

Its the law of 3 ;

133194353.xpl7s8MU.P3152419sm.jpg

• Like 2

@N

you are a god of chemicals.  I have built a shrine.  tomorrow a sacrifice. 

Not necessarily.  Women, in particular, often have UTIs, which would contaminate their urine.

Not to mention, most modern Westerners also consume toxin-laden diets (including plastics, pesticides, xenoestrogens, herbicides, GMOs, heavy metals, etc.) and are on various chronic meds (the Pill, antidepressants, blood thinners, statins, frequent antibiotics, etc etc..).

@N

you are a god of chemicals.  I have built a shrine.  tomorrow a sacrifice. 

At the moment the  substance is element  83

So any offerings on my  shrine should be

hskv_bismuth_crystal_inhand.jpg

At the moment the  substance is element  83

So any offerings on my  shrine should be

hskv_bismuth_crystal_inhand.jpg

Merry Bismuth to you and a happy new year.

• Like 1

Well, I decided to experiment by putting the urine so far saved on my turnips.  They are looking a little pale.  So I am hoping that this humble yet proud root vegetable will not feel insulted by having pee poured into the soil.

I diluted the urine about 10:1 with water and low and behold it frothed up nicely and looked exactly like this:

fosters.jpg

... which is quite a coincidence ... maybe ...

By the way my strawberries are flowering again so I'm hoping for more fruit ... a second coming to rival that of JC.

• Like 1

Well I tried that but I cant seem to get the water mixed butt to ignite  

scratchhead.gif

Are you in Haifa  cobi ?    If so, you should not be smoking    smiley-wagging-his-finger-saying-no-emot

• Like 1

Speaking of urine, I wonder if the human stuff repels any pests?  I thought that wolf urine keeps some animals namely deer away.  just musing..

Now cobi ... you are being naughty again ! 

" Urine can actually aggravate the jellyfish's stingers into releasing more venom. This cure is, indeed, fiction. "

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-urinating/

smiley-wagging-his-finger-saying-no-emot

( strike 2 ) 

{ besides ... what ya gonna do ....  whip it out and wee on someone in the middle of Kiryat Haim beach ?    :blink:   }

Edited by Nungali

Speaking of urine, I wonder if the human stuff repels any pests?  I thought that wolf urine keeps some animals namely deer away.  just musing..

Sure does ... can repel a whole bar! 

[  In NZ at Mt.  Maunganui  Hotel  ( which has a bare concrete floor with plastic tables and chairs bolted to the floor ... inside the public bar ;)  ) ... guy comes bolting out the toilet ; " Ah shit !  Jacks pissed all over me ! " 

Jack follows , todger out and spraying urine at people ...  bar evacuates . 

Me ;    :blink:  

..... then I  ... and everyone else, realises I am the only white guy in their  pub  .....       oh - o  ! 

• Like 1