Sign in to follow this  
Perceiver

Great books?

What are some great books that you've read? Not necessarily with a spiritual content, but just a book that somehow made an impact on you. Or a book that simply entertained you, or that you found readable.

We've got a lot of interesting people in here - would be nice to get their input. Perhaps people can be inspired for some new additions to their reading list for the coming summer-vacation :).

I'll start out:

It's a classic and I'm not ashamed to list this oh-so-obvious book on my list. It's amazing how you can read it seventy years after its first printing and it still gets to you. Some parts of the book just made me shiver with compassion for a man who does not even exist.

A Brief History of Everything - Ken Wliber

The most impactful book I've ever read. I'll never look at reality the same way again.

A Dance With Dragons - George R. R. Martin

A different kind of fantasy story - one with moral complexity.

I'll add to the list later, for now let me talk about a book that combines travel adventure and philosophy very well.  Don't be put off by the name.  Its written by a Buddhist professor here in Chicago who takes a job teaching in Cambodia.  I learned alot from it.

The Gods Drink Whiskey: Stumbling Toward Enlightenment in the Land of the Tattered Buddha (Plus) by Stephen T. Asma

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gods-Drink-Whiskey-Enlightenment/dp/0060834501

As a schoolboy I started reading the Books by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, purportedly telling his life story and his journey from a monastic life in Tibet, to his time in the West. :ph34r:

Years later, I was disillusioned / upset that most "experts" called him a complete fraud and a fake. :blush:

But having re-read them all (several times), I would urge all those with even a mild interest in Tibet, Paranormal / Psychic Abilities or the Occult to give them a go. :wub:

His descriptions of Tibet (spoiler alert) prior to the Chinese Invasion are simply incredible & highly entertaining.

I'd suggest that you start at the beginning and read "The Third Eye" & if you like that try No. 2 "The Doctor From Lhasa" & "The Rampa Story". If you're not hooked by No.3, I wouldn't bother with the rest. As I believe they are the best of the bunch.

PS:  Ignore "My Visit To Venus" as it's a rip-off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobsang_Rampa

If you read ken wilber you will get a meta-analysis of all those books and a more complex contextual frame for understanding them.

Sign in to follow this