Sign in to follow this  
LAOLONG

Duck style kung fu

After the laugh,this is a rare example of traditional kung fu training routine were every single element of the form is practiced alone,the steps,the hand movements. It seems like a half internal style(in Chinese kung fu there are styles that are half internal half external).

• Like 1

Nice one!! I'd like to see more forms! The open wings and skip-jump technique is very similar to some southern bird-styles i've seen that also fall under "half internal" (at least in my mind).

Do you know if its a standalone system or if its woven into one, like a subset of eagle or swallow?

I'd rather see their neigong. Many of these systems look internal/external from the forms but their neigong is on point.

• Like 1

I developed a slightly unorthodox (and unappreciated) style of Aikido known as Penquin style.  It generally consisted of techniques and throws which required keeping your elbows close to you at all times, though hands and forearms could be out for deflection and throwing.  Footwork was minimal, mostly turning and small quick little steps.

I fear the art will die with me.  

AaaRk Sensei also studied Aikido at Hombu Dojo and was a favorite uke for a number of teachers and served as deshi during O'Sensei's famous expedition to the South Pole

pengsen1.gif

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

I developed a slightly unorthodox (and unappreciated) style of Aikido known as Penquin style.  It generally consisted of techniques and throws which required keeping your elbows close to you at all times, though hands and forearms could be out for deflection and throwing.  Footwork was minimal, mostly turning and small quick little steps.

I fear the art will die with me.  

AaaRk Sensei also studied Aikido at Hombu Dojo and was a favorite uke for a number of teachers and served as deshi during O'Sensei's famous expedition to the South Pole

pengsen1.gif

Oke,please tell me you people are joking :huh:  :huh:  :blink: ........serious is this sarcasm or ?well it made me laugh so  :lol:  B)  :rolleyes:

During my 13 years in Aikdo, my 'style' was called many things, some of which I can't print here.  Seriously I developed some moves I considered Penquin style.  Literally keeping my elbows close to my body and using short turning footwork.  Probably more of a training tool then anything else.  When looking for a humorous photo I found others who'd discovered the penquin aikido meme.   Since we dressed like them, ate like them, why not go full Penquin?

My Sensei John Eley would have at times brilliant classes based on limitations.  In one memorable class a member said early on he couldn't use his left arm due to an injury.  For the entire class nobody could use there left arm.  Techniques were modified and in some ways made smoother.  Similarly for upper level classes John would say, I don't want to see any technique.  Leaving us to defend with pure body movement.

Are we likely to see such technique in MMA's.  No, but within the context of the larger bigger attacks generally done in Aikido (think tradition Karateish) they worked.  And for smaller more realistic attacks shorter tighter techniques were used. 

When the going gets tough, and the environment itself is a killer, only the Penquin style can survive. 

Sign in to follow this