seekingbuddha

Quality buddhist forum (other than this one) ?

I searched the net for a forum meant purely  for  buddhist scholars and meditators hang out.  Google produces many different sites.   Any  comments on which forum is the best quality ? Following is a short list that i am interested in considering....

1. dhammawheel.com
  2. freesangha.com
  3. dharmanet.org
  4. dharmawheel.net
  5. www.theravadabuddhistcommunity.org

I prefer to hang out with the 40+ crowd of people, and want to avoid pointless and ego driven discussions.   That is the primary criteria in picking one out of these five that came up in search on Thereveda buddhism.  

• Like 1

This is the only forum I participate in myself, but dhammawheel and dharmawheel both produce some interesting stuff. If you're at all into the pragmatic/hardcore dharma scene, dharmaoverground has a lot of interesting and open-minded discussion going on - focused very heavily on real-life practice and its results.

IMO dhammawheel would suit you best, unless you're into the pragmatic/hardcore scene, in which case you'd want dharmaoverground.

Edited by Seeker of Wisdom

I would strongly advice against dharmaoverground.

That forum encourages people to come forward and discuss their attainments openly.That is a cesspool of distortion, craziness  and outrageous claims.

from what i've seen from popping into some of those other forums, they are rich in people versed in the theory but not necessarily the practice/energetics of the path. that's a red flag straight away, if you want to avoid egos i'd steer clear of people who take it too seriously. it's often to the point of dogma - it's OK as long as you agree with certain voices. i think you'll find much more fruitful discussion and useful advice on here. the whole point of the teachings is their experiential nature, so going down the academic rabbit hole is pointless compared to meeting teachers etc.

my 2cents.

• Like 4

If one is to scale what levels one has attained or others have attained on the best of these types of site, the typical range is beginner to advanced beginner. Most that have Awakened are at the beginning intermediate stage at best, but from there depending on the prior works the enfoldment can be quite miraculous.

In any event, the sites of this type are profoundly helpful from time to time particularly as we in the West have so little legacy in the explosion of growth along these lines.

In India and in China much of what we consider amazing or bizarre is standard fare and an aunt or uncle can help you find your footing. We are going through the messy process of finding our own legacy and teachings in this regard. It is good - many of the teachings we are receiving from abroad are poorly translated and often dumbed down - the amount of dumbing down coming from China and Thailand is unfortunate.

Ferreting through all the crap and political dogmas is good exercise - the amount of over engineering is incredible but part and parcel to the diversity of human centering and proclivity.

The depth on the other side is an abyss of growth at a rate that is world upon world - finding words for it is the only difficult thing - but it is not difficult in the laborious sense.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the responses.   I understand the importance of practice over theory, but it has been my experience that they both complement each other nicely.  I am not actively searching  to join another forum now,  but can not deny that every now and then  the thought  has crossed my mind - it would be yet another time commitment,  which makes me pause.  

I have come across many  knowledgeable people in this forum,  who have contributed to my growth.  So, i can not deny that  there are gems to be found among  the trash  that permeates the internet.   Not only  i seek to find these gems of inspiration, but also  I seek to give.   Because there are many here, who give their time, knowledge and guidance to others - as I have gained from them, i seek to pay forward.  This is all for the welfare of our children, for generations to come.

• Like 2

Thanks to all of you for the responses.   I understand the importance of practice over theory, but it has been my experience that they both complement each other nicely.  I am not actively searching  to join another forum now,  but can not deny that every now and then  the thought  has crossed my mind - it would be yet another time commitment,  which makes me pause.  

I have come across many  knowledgeable people in this forum,  who have contributed to my growth.  So, i can not deny that  there are gems to be found among  the trash  that permeates the internet.   Not only  i seek to find these gems of inspiration, but also  I seek to give.   Because there are many here, who give their time, knowledge and guidance to others - as I have gained from them, i seek to pay forward.  This is all for the welfare of our children, for generations to come.

what a dilemma you have, the stuff what makes you enlightened you don't see and the trash you are too proud to touch. The stuff you like you eat and trash out.

Currently i become that trash, bc obviously you will dislike me. Circle of life in a nutshell

Edited by allinone

what a dilemma you have, the stuff what makes you enlightened you don't see and the trash you are too proud to touch. The stuff you like you eat and trash out.

Currently i become that trash, bc obviously you will dislike me. Circle of life in a nutshell

Wtf ???

I see people talking shit.

OP doesn't want to born as an animal. 

Me too, i don't want to born as an animal. Looking at gorillas or elephants, they seem still more noble than me.