LAOLONG

Carl jung and eastern thought

I should say that Jung's Psychological Types are not at all central to his work.  He wrote the book very early in his career, and for me it seems a stand alone contribution.  And God knows what fools have grabbed hold of it since...

I would recommend the Jung of Jungianism.  The process of Individuation is the key concept.  Try again and see if it speaks to you.

I'm long passed it now. At the time I was dealing with exactly the same thing and thought I would find resonance, but really I found Jung and I as two addicts sitting on a park bench. It wasn't helpful. It was re enforcing to a degree.

I wrote my own book which approaches the idea of depression from my direct perspective as did Jung. I sprinkled it with anecdotes to give it a frame of a real life-lived. LOL -which appeared to be what most people enjoyed about the book-the philosophy and yoga practice, nah not so much :-) . As my voluntary editor said to me 'Dickens is more popular than Kant for a reason'.

Sometimes all this stuff we practice, read and whatever-for me at least-felt like being in one huge battle that I was caught up in. Jung was just another comrade sharing the war with a fellow sufferer. Some suffer more than others. Jung suffered as I did. It didn't help me that he did, we gazed into each other's eyes and saw reflected torment. I didn't need any more of that, we were peas in a pod. I certainly wouldn't have taken my work on the road at that point, but Jung wallowed in it, I couldn't and it wouldn't define me.

I'm out of the battle now. There was really no war but that which I made for myself. It was my war; my mud, blood, bullets, fury, pain and suffering. All that was needed was to recognise it for what it was and then stop fighting it.

• Like 1

Really great reply Karl - thank you! So much of the value of Jung is the camaraderie he offers to the seeker.  But I accept that ultimately its an individual struggle. You felt that Jung held you back, hence the antipathy.  I appreciate Jung because his path was intellectual and I saw myself in him a lot.  But he could never have been a truly inspirational teacher, he didn't have the spiritual force for himself and didn't want it.

There's a famous anecdote about how Jung had the opportunity to meet Ramana Maharshi but stayed away.  He didn't want to meet him, was happy to namecheck him in his books.

Why not give a link to your book? You can PM me if you want?

• Like 1

Really great reply Karl - thank you! So much of the value of Jung is the camaraderie he offers to the seeker.  But I accept that ultimately its an individual struggle. You felt that Jung held you back, hence the antipathy.  I appreciate Jung because his path was intellectual and I saw myself in him a lot.  But he could never have been a truly inspirational teacher, he didn't have the spiritual force for himself and didn't want it.

There's a famous anecdote about how Jung had the opportunity to meet Ramana Maharshi but stayed away.  He didn't want to meet him, was happy to namecheck him in his books.

Why not give a link to your book? You can PM me if you want?

Ramana :-) now there was a sly old fox-a real trickster and most intolerant of fools. Character/nature sits on an underlying shared nature of the universe like cream forms on milk.

I'm not sure linking is accepted. I haven't read the forum rules, but I suspect like others, linking for gain isn't acceptable. I shall PM you.

• Like 1

I believe I'm right in saying that a huge portions of his letters are still not in the public domain. For some reason his family do not want them published. If the red book got published then I cannot imagine what might be in the letters!

Nothing really changed much....he was living through the 30s and 40s in Europe...when the Nazi was overrunning the entire continent.  He may even "had" friends who were Jews and suddenly they were "gone."  I am not surprised if he was using drugs and other means to escape into this own world.  However, he was creative enough to become a sort of a poet, a healer...and to set out his ideas into writings. 

The frustrating thing here Karl is it seems you won't be able to say anything about Jung other than that you don't like it. Can you try and justify your position a bit more?

Your mind is the singular source of your choice to experience frustration.

Karl owes you nothing and is free to like or dislike anything he likes for any reason or no reason.

Logic and reason are word-games played with arrangements of construct delusions. Logic-games can't escape the confines of the words composing them.

They are as equally non-reality as those who choose to entertain belief-delusions as a substitute for reality.

There is nothing to know. Nothing to compare. Nothing to judge.

Droplets of ink or patterns of pixels do not combine into bliss. It is a gift only you can give yourself through recognizing it never could have been outside yourself.

Edited by Bud Jetsun
  • Like 1

Your mind is the singular source of your choice to experience frustration.

Karl owes you nothing and is free to like or dislike anything he likes for any reason or no reason.

Logic and reason are word-games played with arrangements of construct delusions. Logic-games can't escape the confines of the words composing them.

They are as equally non-reality as those who choose to entertain belief-delusions as a substitute for reality.

There is nothing to know. Nothing to compare. Nothing to judge.

Droplets of ink or patterns of pixels do not combine into bliss. It is a gift only you can give yourself through recognizing it never could have been outside yourself.

I see your thoughts, but who is the seer of those thoughts ? Find that one.

Serch, jung and eastern thought.

Pdf file

thanks cobi for starting this thread, a thread that i look forward to participating in, that is not in the off topic section! lol

Jung was a brilliant trailblazer of mind idea ideal and saw the value of eastern wisdom thought philosophy cultivation.

studying and commenting on it, making it available to a western audience.

the golden flower, the I Ching, etc

for purely Jungian ideas, synchronicity, the collective unconscious, shadow, syzygy embedded archetypes, for starters. i mean who does not recognize fuxi and nuwa as syzygy?

I see your thoughts, but who is the seer of those thoughts ? Find that one.

karl do you do any daoist cultivation or practices, in your many posts, that i have read, i never have seen this mentioned.

apologies for asking what you may have already posted somewhere else.

edit>spelling

Edited by zerostao

karl do you do any daoist cultivation or practices, in your many posts, that i have read, i never have seen this mentioned.

apologies for asking what you may have already posted somewhere else.

edit>spelling

No. My regular practices were AYP based deep mediation, pranayama, sanyama and self inquiry. However I also used a version of mindfulness, which might more properly be referred to as absolute surrender.

No. My regular practices were AYP based deep mediation, pranayama, sanyama and self inquiry. However I also used a version of mindfulness, which might more properly be referred to as absolute surrender.

were? used? 

you no longer practice or cultivate?

did you ever have a physical component to your practices?

my idea , crude as it is, is that meditation/mind stuff needs to be balanced with a physical practice such as tai chi

or bagua, otherwise can get too caught up in the head and maybe a little unbalanced

were? used? 

you no longer practice or cultivate?

did you ever have a physical component to your practices?

my idea , crude as it is, is that meditation/mind stuff needs to be balanced with a physical practice such as tai chi

or bagua, otherwise can get too caught up in the head and maybe a little unbalanced

ah you think I'm unbalanced ?

Just be straight, I don't bite :-)

ah you think I'm unbalanced ? Just be straight, I don't bite :-)

i hadnt even thought about that.

for my own benefit i like a harmonious balance between physical mental spiritual

kinda like a jing qi shen shu tai chi wu chi taoist idea

like Jung understood

i hadnt even thought about that.

for my own benefit i like a harmonious balance between physical mental spiritual

kinda like a jing qi shen shu tai chi wu chi taoist idea

like Jung understood

I'm just saying you don't need to pussy foot around obliquely ( although forum rules would prevent that to some extent :-) ). I've never been shy of tough forensic questioning-indeed I always find it's the other guy that gets wound up and slopes off in a huff.

I'm a big believer in grounding and so rather than incorporate esoteric exercise I simply go and do some chores, gardening, weights, walking, mountain biking etc. I did asanas for a year, but without proper guidance- I've concluded this is a singularly risky activity without an instructor and I'm not one for classes :-) I would rather do a few stretches and workout with weights or out in the mountains.