Lataif

Longevity or Immortality . . . But Not Both (?)

Can you say who your teacher is?  And how did he/she prolong their life?

Why?

Why?

Just very interested.  

But, I take it that you meant the "why" as a "no". :)

Just very interested.  

But, I take it that you meant the "why" as a "no". :)

I'd have to have a very good reason that's all ... and just being interested is not it.

I'd have to have a very good reason that's all ... and just being interested is not it.

No problem.  Just a very strong statement in saying that your teacher has such an ability. 

Even acting to give yourself more time is based upon fear (of missing out) and a desire to "realize" something for oneself.  Such an approach is of the individual "ego".

Hi Jeff, just curious, do you not believe the experience is mutable?

Higher versus lower? Heck! I am not certain about past versus future.

I see your point though, such mental discriminations can be misleading. 

Hi Jeff, just curious, do you not believe the experience is mutable?

By mutable, do you mean that it would change?  Or one's desire/goal would change?

The undiscovered country...

ah, that was A Star Trek film was it not ?

If its undiscovered though how do you know there is a country ?

ah, that was A Star Trek film was it not ? If its undiscovered though how do you know there is a country ?

Actually, it's a quote from Hamlet. Another line from that play was:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

If I could ask my dog what kind of food is most important, he would say, "Dog food!" (He's not very bright, as dogs go, and probably wouldn't think to say, "Salmon!" even though that's his favorite). If I ask my rational mind what is the quintessential part of human being, it would say, "Why, the intellect, of course!"

Actually, the word "quintessential" is very significant, both in the classical sense and in the modern physics sense... ;)

My recommendation would be to stop taking your head so seriously, regardless of how insistent it becomes. The noumenological is in parallel with the phenomenological.

• Like 3

Actually, it's a quote from Hamlet. Another line from that play was:If I could ask my dog what kind of food is most important, he would say, "Dog food!" (He's not very bright, as dogs go, and probably wouldn't think to say, "Salmon!" even though that's his favorite). If I ask my rational mind what is the quintessential part of human being, it would say, "Why, the intellect, of course!"Actually, the word "quintessential" is very significant, both in the classical sense and in the modern physics sense... ;)My recommendation would be to stop taking your head so seriously, regardless of how insistent it becomes. The noumenological is in parallel with the phenomenological.

Hamlet: that makes sense 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war' and all that good stuff uttered by the Klingon.

I take my head very seriously as it's the only one I have. :-)

Im not surely what I can get from your answer. It just felt right to ask, but no issue.

No problem.  Just a very strong statement in saying that your teacher has such an ability. 

But that's not the point.  the point is that he did not through fear and attachment - which you stated was the motivation.

Honestly, Karl, I'm not sure you can get much from my answer -- not inasmuch as you are physically unable to but that you are not constitutionally in a place for it to be accessible. No worries! Play it back in your head from time to time. Perhaps some day it will click. If it never does, that's OK, too!

• Like 2

Hamlet: that makes sense 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war' and all that good stuff uttered by the Klingon. I take my head very seriously as it's the only one I have. :-) Im not surely what I can get from your answer. It just felt right to ask, but no issue.

That's Julius Caesar.

Edited by Apech

Honestly, Karl, I'm not sure you can get much from my answer -- not inasmuch as you are physically unable to but that you are not constitutionally in a place for it to be accessible. No worries! Play it back in your head from time to time. Perhaps some day it will click. If it never does, that's OK, too!

Thou hast spoken right, 'tis true;

The wheel is come full circle:

• Like 2

It's erased. There were no patterns or connections because you have hidden yourself within the subjective.

Quintessential is Alchemical/mystic aether, but reality is the pattern of five. Water molecules, reproduction, flow, dynamic life, apples, flowers, pentatonic, the major third, 3:4:5 triangle.

Dogs, salmon ? A dog is not a rational human being ?

But that's not the point.  the point is that he did not through fear and attachment - which you stated was the motivation.

In your description you stated, "That's not strictly true, my teacher prolonged his life in order to serve, to teach more people and to create more expressions of truth."

What is your definition of attachment? What does it mean to believe that you (self) are necessary?

If he clings to desire and attachment,

How can he follow the way?

The true seeker

Subdues all waywardness. He

has submitted his nature to quietness.

He is a true seeker

Not because he begs

But because he follows the lawful way,

Holding back nothing, holding to nothing,

Beyond good and evil,

Beyond the body and beyond the mind.

-Dhammapada

• Like 1

Thou hast spoken right, 'tis true;

The wheel is come full circle:

Professor told me I would some day come to prefer Lear to the melancholy Dane but it hasn't happened yet.

It's erased. There were no patterns or connections because you have hidden yourself within the subjective. Quintessential is Alchemical/mystic aether, but reality is the pattern of five. Water molecules, reproduction, flow, dynamic life, apples, flowers, pentatonic, the major third, 3:4:5 triangle. Dogs, salmon ? A dog is not a rational human being ?

We inherited the pug a few years ago. He is very sweet but not the brightest. He absolutely loves grilled salmon skin, though. He calls them "fish chips."

No, I am speaking plainly. If I seem hidden, I would suggest looking in a different place.

Or just ignore me.

;)

• Like 1

In your description you stated, "That's not strictly true, my teacher prolonged his life in order to serve, to teach more people and to create more expressions of truth." What is your definition of attachment? What does it mean to believe that you (self) are necessary? If he clings to desire and attachment, How can he follow the way? The true seeker Subdues all waywardness. He has submitted his nature to quietness. He is a true seeker Not because he begs But because he follows the lawful way, Holding back nothing, holding to nothing, Beyond good and evil, Beyond the body and beyond the mind. -Dhammapada

People speak of being beyond good and evil, but it would seem that one must take responsibility in order to attain silence. Submitting nature to quietness, this would mean doing what is necessary? 

People speak of being beyond good and evil, but it would seem that one must take responsibility in order to attain silence. Submitting nature to quietness, this would mean doing what is necessary? 

Being beyond good and evil happens when one knows they are both nothing and all. Submitting is about "letting go". If one struggles to do what is necessary (and percieved to be right), they are judging and basing it upon personal (ego) desire and are not flowing with the Tao.

CHAPTER 20 - TTC (SFH version)

Give up learning, put an end to your troubles.

Remain and dwell in simplicity.

I am contented, for I dwell in the infinite;

the Dao is full when it is present in the heart.

Others enjoy the feast, but I am alone and wandering, drifting with the wind.

Open and yielding like a new born babe.

Innocent and simple, for I am nourished by the Great Mother of all thing,,

Others have more than what they need, but I alone have nothing.

I seem foolish and confused, but I alone am aware and alert.

Other Men seem sharp and clever,

For my simplicity and innocence appears dull and stupid to such Men.

I drift like the waves of the sea and follow the flow.

Everyone seems busy, but I alone am without desire and uncluttered.

I am different, for I am nourished by the great Dao.

Drift in the wind or ride the waves, but follow the flow... :)

In your description you stated, "That's not strictly true, my teacher prolonged his life in order to serve, to teach more people and to create more expressions of truth." What is your definition of attachment? What does it mean to believe that you (self) are necessary? If he clings to desire and attachment, How can he follow the way? The true seeker Subdues all waywardness. He has submitted his nature to quietness. He is a true seeker Not because he begs But because he follows the lawful way, Holding back nothing, holding to nothing, Beyond good and evil, Beyond the body and beyond the mind. -Dhammapada

Well, in this context, I thought you meant by attachment - holding on to life through fear.

And necessary literally means unceasing and therefore eternal.  But I'm not sure why you asked that.

Edited by Apech

Professor told me I would some day come to prefer Lear to the melancholy Dane but it hasn't happened yet.

Lear is a very profound play, it would be interesting to discuss it.  Have you read it in detail?

Even acting to give yourself more time is based upon fear (of missing out) and a desire to "realize" something for oneself.  Such an approach is of the individual "ego".

I'm talking about in Selfess service to all, as an extension of the original nature. not as an ego stroke of the false persona.

To paraphrase The Blues Brothers (And people, please don't take this literal  :D ) :

"You're now on a mission from God".

Cheers!

reminds me of a good quote by Alan M, that has to do with both immortality and longevity. 

“When we are doing the will of our true self, we are inevitably doing the will of the universe. In magic these are seen as indistinguishable. That every human soul is in fact the one human soul. It is the soul of the universe itself and as long as you are doing the will of the universe, then it is impossible to do anything wrong.”

-Alan Moore

Nice quote.

He's right about doing the true Will, versus people's ego & desire, that they confuse with the 

True Will of the Self.

The Self isn't the soul though. The Self functions through soul/spirit.The Self is immaterial.

The spirit is material.

A lot of folks get confused on that one. you'll even see it happen in various translations.

But he's got some very interesting magical theories. Applies them very well to his stories.

And he actually does it, always a plus in my book.

His "Promethea" is excellent.

Cheers!