Sign in to follow this  
lifeforce

First thoughts in the morning.

Greetings everyone.

I don't know if it's just me but when I wake up from a good sleep, the first thought that enters, normally sets the tone for the whole day, or sometimes changes the direction in which my life takes. These thoughts often have a bearing on big decisions that need to be acted upon.

I must stress that in my personal experience, there has been no prior thinking, or prompting. It's as if they've just come out of the blue.

This morning, again, without any prior thinking upon or even a remote interest in, I suddenly got an incredibly strong urge to practice a cultivation system that I tried a number of years ago and didn't follow up with. Without warning, I was planning out my daily schedule in my head, trying to find a way in which to fit this system into my life. I REALLY want to push ahead with this now. Like nothing ever before. It's as if I've received a 'kick up the ass' from a some kind of intelligent being whilst asleep.

Is it best to follow our gut instincts and messages we receive subconsciously rather than our thinking, analytical brain ?

I'd be interested if anyone has had a similar experience and of the decision they made.

Thanks

My first thought in the morning is generally, "Stupid dog..."

(The old pug's bladder is only good until about 3:30 these days.)

:)

You are correct, though -- our waking thoughts are often the fading artifacts of dreamtime experiences. In this way, we are able to continue the lessons or choices we may have been learning or making whilst the analytical engine was off duty.

I would suggest tempering these thoughts with reason but you should not discount them out as random thoughts.

• Like 1

We are all different.  What 'tone', feeling or attitude we have will differ.

I'm not a morning person... If I was a part of an experiment to test when folks like to wake up, I'd be close to 12/noon.

When I was in Marine boot camp, they had some difference about such ideas... and most jobs do too.

My first thought each morning?  "Can I have 10 more minutes...".   And that repeats itself about 100 times as I shift from sleepy-awake to sleepy-slumber.

My wife is acutely aware of my slothful morning attitude... and she has found ways to even get me up at 8am to go for a morning swim by talking softly, massaging my back to wake me up and allowing me to decline in the end... which by the time the muscles open their muscle eyes, I have shifted into my normal 'athletic' mode of "let's get'r done".

Then we swim... and by 9:30am, I am so fully energized that I feel like I could now even run a marathon...  Seize the Day; my motor is finely tuned for the day...

Compare a day where I don't get up... slothfully delay my departure from the bed... a foggy remembrance that there is coffee in this existence which might make this all go away... and eggs... got to eat some eggs....  oh, the time?  already 11am... crap...

Nice topic.

The goal is 'know thyself'.    And hopefully you have a little help along the way :)

Lifeforce,

I'm an early morning person as well. I tend to experience clarity of thinking in the early hours. The urgency you've described I've noticed happens to me in the evenings. Knowing the rhythm of my inner self, I have to pay attention when making decisions to ensure balance.

As in all things, knowing yourself is key.

Greetings everyone.

I don't know if it's just me but when I wake up from a good sleep, the first thought that enters, normally sets the tone for the whole day, or sometimes changes the direction in which my life takes. These thoughts often have a bearing on big decisions that need to be acted upon.

I must stress that in my personal experience, there has been no prior thinking, or prompting. It's as if they've just come out of the blue.

This morning, again, without any prior thinking upon or even a remote interest in, I suddenly got an incredibly strong urge to practice a cultivation system that I tried a number of years ago and didn't follow up with. Without warning, I was planning out my daily schedule in my head, trying to find a way in which to fit this system into my life. I REALLY want to push ahead with this now. Like nothing ever before. It's as if I've received a 'kick up the ass' from a some kind of intelligent being whilst asleep.

Is it best to follow our gut instincts and messages we receive subconsciously rather than our thinking, analytical brain ?

I'd be interested if anyone has had a similar experience and of the decision they made.

Thanks

Through my meditative practices and experiences, I've come to think there is an intelligence that is far greater than rational, thinking intelligence. Deeper, more comprehensive, less dependent on our programming and conditioning, less limited, and far more subtle. The tricky part is knowing when that intelligence is operational. Only you can tell if that is where this message is coming from. It is generally more present when we are quiet internally. 

Personally, from your description I would follow that intuition. It sounds like it feels genuine to you - that's what counts.

Sign in to follow this