MooNiNite

Changing Destiny: Liao-Fan's Four Lessons

Changing Destiny: Liao-Fan's Four Lessons

By Master Chin Kung

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Changing-Destiny-Liao-Fans-Commentary-Translated-ebook/dp/B00E2QSRQ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1439812479&sr=8-4&keywords=Changing+Destiny%3A+Liao-Fan%27s+Four+Lessons

I find this book quite good. If you are on the pursuit of enlightenment it may be helpful. 

It is only $0.99 on Kindle

Some of the paperbacks are even cheaper. 

• Like 1

This book basically discusses how destiny is calculated and that most beings are actually trapped by destiny. However, through cultivation, one is able to transcend beyond destiny.

• Like 1

"Awakening— the beginning of enlightenment— is being able to detect our faults daily. We begin this process when we first bring forth our vow to become an equal-enlightenment Bodhisattva. As we discover our faults daily, we need to correct them. This is cultivation. It is the true achievement in the cultivation of great sages and virtuous people, and is the key to changing our destinies, to leaving suffering behind, and to attaining happiness. When most people are unable to become virtuous people and sages in one lifetime, and are unable to achieve in their cultivation, they will find that the problem lies here."

Venerable Master Chin Kung 

This is why meditation leads some to enlightenment and others not to enlightenment. 
  • Like 3

What Liaofan told his son next is very important and we need to pay close attention and learn from it. When we are sincere and honest, our hearts will accord with the will of heaven. This is the main principle. We must be sincere in all our actions, neither cheating others nor fooling ourselves. The “will of heaven” is what Buddhism calls the true nature. It is the state of having no wandering thoughts, only those that are virtuous. When we are absolutely honest and truthful, our hearts will agree with the will of heaven. Even if we are presently undergoing hardships, they will soon be over and then we will enjoy abundant good fortune. Therefore, everything we think, say, and do needs to arise from sincerity. “The sincere and honest heart” is the essence of the eight guidelines taught by Confucius. We accomplish this by severing our desires and uncovering our true nature.

When severing desires, what are we cutting off? The Six Dusts or polluting factors of sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, and thought and the Five Desires for wealth, lust, fame, food, and sleep.

If these desires cannot be reduced, our hearts will be constantly affected by our surroundings. How can such a heart remain sincere?

Venerable Master Chin Kung (2013-07-20). Changing Destiny: Liao-Fan's Four Lessons -- A Commentary by Venerable Master Chin Kung (Kindle Locations 1324-1325).  . Kindle Edition. 

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 3

Therefore, in order to gain, we must first let go. If we are reluctant to let go, then we will not be able to gain. In the sutras, we read that to give is to gain. We first give up something in order to gain something in return. Without giving, we will receive nothing. So, this lesson on reforming our destinies is all about letting go. What if we seek something? To seek also helps us to receive. But how do we accomplish this? Just let go and we will receive everything we are seeking.

Venerable Master Chin Kung (2013-07-20). Changing Destiny: Liao-Fan's Four Lessons -- A Commentary by Venerable Master Chin Kung (Kindle Locations 1338-1342).  . Kindle Edition. 

• Like 1

The real question is why sincere and good people sometimes get poverty, short life, no imperial positions, no sons, even the gas chamber.

All that while understanding that speaking the truth and behaving sincerely accords with the will of heaven, and knowing that doing good deeds and eliminating one's faults is in harmony with enlightened beings. 

If you can answer that, (without resorting to the past life karma explanation, because Liao Fan indicates that you can change your destiny of this lifetime) I would be grateful.

• Like 3

The real question is why sincere and good people sometimes get poverty, short life, no imperial positions, no sons, even the gas chamber.

All that while understanding that speaking the truth and behaving sincerely accords with the will of heaven, and knowing that doing good deeds and eliminating one's faults is in harmony with enlightened beings. 

If you can answer that, (without resorting to the past life karma explanation, because Liao Fan indicates that you can change your destiny of this lifetime) I would be grateful.

to me the answer is Shit Happens.  Bad things happen to good people and bad.  Maybe karma is a soothing psychological invention, like heaven.  Perhaps the truth is random events happen and being at the wrong place at the wrong time puts a person infront of the 8 ball.  Bad luck, bad timing.  No ones keeping score or handing out cosmic justice.

We can make the world a better place.  In general instead of asking 'Why?', its usually better to ask 'How can I help?'

• Like 1

Sages of this world and beyond taught us to concentrate on moral improvement and to gain wisdom, the original wisdom that flows from the true nature. This wisdom is higher than the academic study and skills of worldly intelligence.

Venerable Master Chin Kung (2013-07-20). Changing Destiny: Liao-Fan's Four Lessons -- A Commentary by Venerable Master Chin Kung (Kindle Locations 1684-1686).  . Kindle Edition. 

• Like 1

This story seems to be popular among Chinese Pure Land Buddhists. There is also a movie of it:

• Like 1

This story seems to be popular among Chinese Pure Land Buddhists. There is also a movie of it:

It is basically word for word with the book

• Like 1

So  many layers to balance. Sincere and good people still tend to flow within the layer of human constructs, which is merely one layer upon the many layers in operation among the species and ecosystems of this planet. Alas, this human layer is a cancer to these ecosystems, and those who are sincere and good, are still nurturing and supporting this human layer, and sustaining the unsustainable.

Perhaps related, is a form of I Ching divination based on chinese astrology. From a person's time of birth, we can calculate an I Ching hexagram and line, which represents their main relationship to balance. Naturally, we all relate to all the different changes within the I Ching, and this hexagram simply shows one of the most prevalent polarities we are faced with, from the perspective of one layer.

In reading many of these hexagrams, I've come to understand that almost everyone is more likely to go in the direction away from balance. Those with the hexagram "Humility" may find balance by simply allowing their humility - and yet the trend is to speak up and announce their needs and wants. Those with the hexagram "Grace" may appear graceful by restraining their inner fire, and yet the trend is to embellish, adorn, and exaggerate, allowing the fire to spill over the mountain. Those with the hexagram "Receptivity" are the most expressive of all, seeking to spend all of their energy into the void.

And so on... 'tis simply the dynamic of creation of the 10,000 that is ever in polarity with the path of reversal. Yet today there is little balance between this expansion and contraction, and creation unfolds at a rapid speed, feeding on the surrounding balances, burning them up to fuel our greed in the name of progress. We think progress means solving world hunger. We think progress means a sooner end to war. We think progress means fulfillment and happiness, if only we can work fast enough, hard enough. And even those good and sincere people allow themselves to get caught up in the human momentum and allow themselves to become tools in the greed of others.

I don't know exactly what this means for their karma. They can probably change their destiny some, and avoid making it worse, but the dept of change required to go all the way requires seeing beyond all polarities, healing all polarities. Similar to people who heal cancer via qi-gong - it won't work for everyone - people must summon the will for deep internal change. Some "destinies" will be easier to change than others, and there is nothing wrong with simply flowing patiently, cultivating a strong foundation of sincerity and goodness, each life getting closer and closer. There is no "need" to do it all at once with some incredibly extreme push - if that push fails, that extreme becomes part of one's momentum next time and might simply bring confusion. Anything is possible, and everything is right from some perspective. The answer most "right" for each of us is deep within us, and all we need to do is follow that as best we can.

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 3

"Alas, this human layer is a cancer to these ecosystems, and those who are sincere and good, are still nurturing and supporting this human layer, and sustaining the unsustainable."

What a strange and generalized statement of B.S. from a normally mellow poster?

Sure there is an age old war going on with the demons and such will continue until the Earth reaches the next major level of vibration - partly through human evolution which in no way means humans per-se are a cancer to their mother who knows all to well what is going on.  Btw, I assume you know that there are things like "natural" hydrogen sulfide releases all over the planet and in the oceans that kill most forms of life and their ecosystems almost instantly... strange that a mother would be killing parts of herself unless we humans didn't really know all that well as to what is going on?

Oh sure. And recognition of all polarities one relates to is helpful in adjusting one's balance and changing one's destiny.

Most people hop in their cars and drive around without understanding what sort of impact this has... and all too often become defensive and reactive when it is brought up.

• Like 2

in the end we all have the same destiny so why get choosy about a particular one that is passing?

Btw, what is "nature" doing to solar and galactic ecosystems compared to us humans, she is blowing up stars - making black holes burning and freezing up planets - etc., etc., which makes what is going on here on earth look like far less than a single grain of sand changing its condition in comparison and magnitude to what is happening in just a small part of our galaxy.  (which doesn't mean what is happening here is not important on its own scale)

Edited by 3bob

Uhhh... I hadn't intended judgement or anything like that, so no need for justifications and comparisons.

I'm just saying if there is a hole in the road I might not get where I'm going if I fall in. Further, if I dug it, it'd be silly to forget about it, pretend I didn't dig it, that it won't get in my way, etc.

• Like 2

Interesting is how Buddha and Buddhists tend to say that good deeds are the true measurement of morality because deeds do not lie. Yet Kabbalists say the opposite: people mostly do good deeds for egotistical or false reasons (fame, make themselves feel good, curry favour, get something for themselves). It is the heart that does not lie. 

Upon further analysis, we see that Buddha's message in this case was for a less sophisticated group, because they do not examine the heart, but rather just want people to build positive habits, in a clearly observable way. Kabbalist teachings really break down how people can be deluding themselves, because the Kabbalist core method is to generate a selfless heart of "love others as self." 

Ive read over Liao Fan's teachings several times already, and I conclude its more of a "skillful means" folk teaching that promises lay people that they can get lots of material realm success by racking up good karma. Its not much of a guide to isolating and getting rid of bad habits and behaviors, but more of a motivation to do so, not exactly for spiritual attainment but for ease in manifesting abundance. That said, the Buddhist commentators do mention that the goal is spiritual liberation and a moral and pure heart

Interesting is how Buddha and Buddhists tend to say that good deeds are the true measurement of morality because deeds do not lie. Yet Kabbalists say the opposite: people mostly do good deeds for egotistical or false reasons (fame, make themselves feel good, curry favour, get something for themselves). It is the heart that does not lie. 

Upon further analysis, we see that Buddha's message in this case was for a less sophisticated group, because they do not examine the heart, but rather just want people to build positive habits, in a clearly observable way. Kabbalist teachings really break down how people can be deluding themselves, because the Kabbalist core method is to generate a selfless heart of "love others as self." 

Ive read over Liao Fan's teachings several times already, and I conclude its more of a "skillful means" folk teaching that promises lay people that they can get lots of material realm success by racking up good karma. Its not much of a guide to isolating and getting rid of bad habits and behaviors, but more of a motivation to do so, not exactly for spiritual attainment but for ease in manifesting abundance. That said, the Buddhist commentators do mention that the goal is spiritual liberation and a moral and pure heart

I see your point

However, Liao Fan also talks about taking responsibility. A form of foundation that creates silence. 

I dont believe one can properly do the "good deeds from the heart" or make any sort of progress without this silence. 

Does anybody have the merit fault chart mentioned in the book ?? ? A scanned picture would be helpful (in English obviously)

I do not, but I am also very interested. I don't believe it was in the movie either. 

Edited by MooNiNite

Personally, I find the wisdom in this book extremely important. 

The author clearly explains how one who feels like they are not sure what to do need to correct their faults. The auther teaches how by doing this one can "focus their heart" instead of the heart wanting to shoot in a hundred different directions at the same time. The author explains how this is of the most importance and a precursor to becoming awakened. 

I believe teachings like this are just as important if not more important than energy practices

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these sunken eyes and learn to see, all your life you were only waiting for this moment to arise..you were only waiting for this moment to arise."

-Beatles

The moment when one knows the path for their life. The path of the spirit. Awakening to this truth is a primary importance in this work and the path to awakening (arhat/buddha)

Edited by MooNiNite