Ant

blood stasis/liver stagnation from injury, advice appreciated!

By now first thing to do is to ditch both your doctor and your drugs, and to stop looking for magical hand-waving like a new qigong or acupuncture.

Yr illness perpetuates itself because your heart is on it, discussing it with yr doctors, anxiously looking for magical powders. What you need to do is to start riding yr body hard and to stop coddling it, then the illness/heart link will break and the body will heal itself. Take up jogging , fasting, doing push-ups. When you go well beyond average man's capacity for these, that will be the day when u will get well.

On occasion of one Taoist being sick, the teacher told the assembly: if a practitioners is rational in his food and drink, constant in his rest and movement, peaceful in heart and spirit, does not do anything stupid, and still gets sick, then it is a Heavenly command, who would dare not to accept it? Also it could be the matter of personal fate, due to some karma to get a demonic illness.

First thing to do in this case is to recognize that the four great components of the body are illusory, each one of those, so this sickness is their sickness, the death is going to be their death, so bear the sickness with calm heart and mind. If so, if in these tribulations, its not your heart that will be sick, then a heavy sickness will ease up and a light sickness will cure by itself, your nature will be calm and placid, the muddy morbid qi will dissipate.

• Like 1

More than four years ago now I was injured at work. I was carrying a piece of wood and the sharp corner of it was driven into the left side of my abdomen when I stumbled. There was no visible bruise at the time, but it must have hit a very sensitive area as years on, it is still causing me grief. I have an excellent and very experienced TCM doctor, who says that my main problems are blood stasis, liver stagnation and excess heat (judging from my skin it seems to be mainly heat in the stomach meridian). I have been doing Spring Forest Qigong regularly for a few years, I have consistently taken herbs and have had a quite a lot of acupuncture. Whilst the healing has certainly come a long way, it seems I still have a way to go.

I have pain in the place where I was struck, there is definitely blood stasis there. But I also have a LOT of stagnation in my left shoulder, and around the left side of my lower back. My doctor has explained that this stagnation is in the shou points of the blood and liver, and I can feel that the three main sites of discomfort are connected. When one is stimulated, the others are too. During acupuncture my doctor inserts the biggest needles he has into my shoulder and back, and I barely feel a thing, which gives you an idea of the level of the stagnation.

I'm looking for further advice on things I could do to accelerate the healing. When I lie in bed I can feel that certain positions and stretches seem to stimulate things and get the areas of stagnation moving. I'd love to learn some particular stretches that would be of assistance. Any other advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently taking a formula designed for my by my doctor to move blood, move qi and clear heat. It's effective but I also find it makes me feel quite tired, so I'm not taking much of it. From what I have heard this side effect is not unusual for formulas that clear excess heat and move blood. I have previously also taken Yunnan Baiyao powder, which is recommended for injuries. I have previously used San Qi (Panax Notoginseng) to help an earlier injury, but I'm baulking at trying it again as it is not recommended for those with excess Heat and Yin deficiency (of which I have both). 

Again, any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  (Emphasis mine, ZYD)

Have you and your Doctor considered that you might have Empty Heat which arises from yin deficiency?  Giovanni Maciocia's blog post on the differentiation is very useful:

Maciocia on Empty Heat

This might explain both the fatigue from the herbs which you are taking and the fact that it is hanging on rather than clearing up.

Blood and yin are related as "bodily fluid", a deficiency of yin will dry out the blood making it harder to move.

More than four years ago now I was injured at work. I was carrying a piece of wood and the sharp corner of it was driven into the left side of my abdomen when I stumbled. There was no visible bruise at the time, but it must have hit a very sensitive area as years on, it is still causing me grief. I have an excellent and very experienced TCM doctor, who says that my main problems are blood stasis, liver stagnation and excess heat (judging from my skin it seems to be mainly heat in the stomach meridian). I have been doing Spring Forest Qigong regularly for a few years, I have consistently taken herbs and have had a quite a lot of acupuncture. Whilst the healing has certainly come a long way, it seems I still have a way to go.

I have pain in the place where I was struck, there is definitely blood stasis there. But I also have a LOT of stagnation in my left shoulder, and around the left side of my lower back. My doctor has explained that this stagnation is in the shou points of the blood and liver, and I can feel that the three main sites of discomfort are connected.

Very interesting fractal expression.  Not only is liver (wood) stagnation causing heat in your stomach (earth) meridian...you literally "destroyed" your stomach with a physical piece of wood!  Exactly as depicted by wuxing theory, lol!

FiveElementsDiagram.jpg

So, how were you feeling at work before you impaled yourself?  Angry at something?

• Like 1

Arm swings and Zhan Zhuang, holding the ball (embrace tree) BOTH played a huge part in my liver healing.  Also the eight brocades are wonderful to balance everything out.   Also,you could choose to do the Maoshan standing posture for your wood element, which is simply holding arms out to the sides and relaxing shoulders, chest, etc; all the qigong rules apply.   I have had great results pulling up earth energy through simply facing the palms toward the ground around solar plexus or dan tian level.  These two should balance you out.  Also don't forget to start and end with wuji.  Wuji is the best diagnostic we have,IMO.

• Like 1

Yes, that bad karma stems from a wrong doing in a past which has been manifested in this one. Unfortunately TCM and herbs won't fix it at all no matter how long the treatment goes for, this includes any acupuncture. The good news is that there are excellent energetic methods that will get rid of the bad karma you carry (plus a whole other things which are too many to name here), however both require a knowledgeable teacher from who you must learn the systems from: Vipassana/Insight Meditation (slower method that requires many hours a day in order to be effective) and Baguaquan (a lot faster). Supplement the last method with some sitting meditation and you will be on the clear.

One thing you need to know is that several internal organs not just the liver plus many meridians including the Dai Mai channel have been affected since the whole body-mind system acts as a whole: one point of disturbance extends to the whole as a lot. Also the extraordinary meridians are not easily influenced by TCM practice, so you need to bring in some serious hardware. The methods I mentioned are hardcore: they purge everything, including karma.

Best of luck! :)

So when someone gets hurt or sick or has a chronic condition its because of "bad karma"? Man some of the stuff I read here..I dont see  anyting in the original post about him doing anything wrong or "bad" or whatever before he got hurt. Where are you guys coming up with this stuff?  If anything this line of thinking will delay healing as it imposes a guilt on someone for their issues. OP dont feel bad about your bad luck or think your a victim of Karma, The zhan zhuang etc will def help and clearing your head that you have some BS karma you need to clear before you can heal will also help.

Edited by bax44

From the little I know, it sounds like you've been doing everything right.  Seeing a doctor, doing Spring Forest, taking prescribed herbs.  And its been going on for four years. 

I might (naively) suggest its not the initial injury anymore <that's throwing off proper diagnosis?>.  There may be something as simple as the way to sit, lean or sleep position thats continually aggravating your left side. 

I had a long time pain on one side.  The problem was I'd slump to that side when sitting.  Double check your posture.  Take care to see that your not leaning or slumping.  Check how you sleep too, see if you're putting undue weight on one side. 

that's all i got, not sure it'll help much.