Unseen_Abilities

A BEST Kyokushin Manual/Book - advice?

The style of Kyokushin has caught my interest lately..if u know the style and could recommend ONE book ONLY on Kyokushin Karate,what would it be? I'll look at all suggestions, thx,.unseen_Abilities.

Edited by Unseen_Abilities

51DEFCBGQQL._SX366_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Add to Wish List
Sell yours for a Gift Card
We'll buy it for $5.06
Learn More
Trade in now

Have one to sell? Sell on Amazon

51DEFCBGQQL._SX366_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51DEFCBGQQL._AC_SX60_CR,0,0,60,60_.jpg
See this image
Mas Oyama's Essential Karate Paperback – March, 1979
by Masutatsu Oyama (Author), Mas Oyama (Author)

i practiced it a while back so...
  • Like 2

If you start training . do cross training as well to get used to defending against head punches. 

real fights do not go like this ! 

How many head punches did you see there ?  

I prefer a variety of techniques   (even if they are demonstrated in a form like a formal tea ceremony   :glare:  ) 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

All the books by Mas Oyama are outstanding - not only for Kyokushin, but for Karate in general. If you can make your request more specific, I might be able to give you a more specific reply.

But I thought you had decided that JKD provided you with all the answers?

Nungali, I agree on watching out for head punches. As a Shotokan practitioner finding himself in a Kyokushin class, I was cautioned not to flatten anybody's nose. However, that vertical hammer fist on top of my head really caught me by surprise - something I wasn't used to from Shotokan. Nevertheless, the risk of injury was higher in Shotokan sparring overall, due to straight punches to the face being permitted, with a limited degree of contact.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

Well .... Shotokan cant ban head punches in sparing because , ,,,, they dont use that many techniques and banning that, 30% of  their techniques would be missing 

devil_smile.gif

• Like 2

Correct, but this is true for the sparring in all Karate styles that I know of.

In Kyokushin, I was frustrated by the discrepancy between the hundreds of techniques practiced in the basic curriculum and the sparring style that looked quite like kickboxing.

• Like 1

JKD has all the answers! But iii,,.I'm creating style(s)of my own right now - creative forms..,trying creating from the basics of different styles/forms/ideas,..I don't know how 'valid' that would sound to some of the traditionalists on here - but that's where all my training/practise is focused right now !..Unseen_Abilities.

It's too bad that we will probably never get to see your abilities! :D

Anyway, what you are doing surely sounds quite like JKD. Bruce Lee's philosophy being: "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, add what is uniquely your own."

I actually do that too (not only in martial arts). When I was asked to define my Karate style on another forum recently, I called it Aiki Taikyoku Kenpo Karate. Now they want me to tell them more and more about it...

Right, traditionalists won't be impressed. But hey, all traditional martial (and other) arts once started out with somebody getting creative.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

eXACTLy!(re:Starting/Martial Creativity),.The mARtIAL.AbILities/ProwesS,of Unseen_AbIliTieSs.wiLl.acTuAlLy,some day, be VIEWABLE TO ALL ON YOUTUBE/The IntErnET at LaRGE!.,T.b.S/U_AA.,,thx.;)

• Like 1

It's too bad that we will probably never get to see your abilities! :D

Anyway, what you are doing surely sounds quite like JKD. Bruce Lee's philosophy being: "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, add what is uniquely your own."

I actually do that too (not only in martial arts). When I was asked to define my Karate style on another forum recently, I called it Aiki Taikyoku Kenpo Karate. Now they want me to tell them more and more about it...

Right, traditionalists won't be impressed. But hey, all traditional martial (and other) arts once started out with somebody getting creative.

I do it too ,  teacher taught that is what is to be done too, he was quiet small and slight, my current instructor is very tall and often tries to rely on force.

I call my own  ' style'   Dodgy-ryu    .

eXACTLy!(re:Starting/Martial Creativity),.The mARtIAL.AbILities/ProwesS,of Unseen_AbIliTieSs.wiLl.acTuAlLy,some day, be VIEWABLE TO ALL ON YOUTUBE/The IntErnET at LaRGE!.,T.b.S/U_AA.,,thx. ;)

Have you ever thought of  unsticking your shift key ? 

• Like 1

How does it look intuitively, Nungaliey?!?Typing intuitively will produce a different result than typing lOgically.! Try it!! U_A..dodgy-ryu1?!! Typing types out the devils! Type on,Nungers.T.b.S/-U-aa.,Tom,berlin.Shrapnel.,

• Like 1

JKD has all the answers! But iii,,.I'm creating style(s)of my own right now - creative forms..,trying creating from the basics of different styles/forms/ideas,..I don't know how 'valid' that would sound to some of the traditionalists on here - but that's where all my training/practise is focused right now !..Unseen_Abilities.

As you evolve energetically and spiritually the way you express your martial technique will evolve. Keep practicing internal work along with your martial pursuits....as you refine your essence so will your martial expression gain subtlety and efficiency. Best of luck.

• Like 1

U_A wrestled in the Jungles of Indonesia in the cult! Pencak Silat?!>?! How do i go those places these days!?Alchemy/!.T.b.S=/-U_A.thx Nungali for the wisdom!./t.b.s..Tom.berlin.Shrapnel.!!.

U_A wrestled in the Jungles of Indonesia in the cult! Pencak Silat?!>?! How do i go those places these days!?Alchemy/!.T.b.S=/-U_A.thx Nungali for the wisdom!./t.b.s..Tom.berlin.Shrapnel.!!.

I did Silat in Perth West Oz ... no jungle though. Further north, prob more , as a lot more multi-cultural ... and they start teaching wrestling there at an early age 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1