mikal

Hi I'm a human

Hi All,

My name is Mikal. I'm looking to walk my talk a bit more, learn from others, and find community here. Currently reading: Zen and Jappanese Culture by DT Suzuki.

Eastern spiritual traditions have always been a source of inspiration however I've lacked the discipline to dive deep. I first read Wisdom of Insecurity , Allan Watts, Zen Mind Beginners Mind, Suzuki, Tao Te Ching, I Ching texts Chinese Tonic Herbalism, Ron Teagaurdin.

I have been taking Taoist herbs like Reishi, Ginseng, and Schisandra for years and the rewards have been tangible and life changing. I realize that without the martial arts I am not getting the whole picture at all.

I consider myself as someone healing from both addiction and anxietywhich are so ubiquitous in our culture. I've made progress, but only by crossing days off the callander. I am ready for some pragmatic tools to better regulate my energy and more fully let go, love, live, and be here now.

I have a fast paced high stress retail position in the supplements field. When I'm having an on day I love my job and feel it is a calling. I've invested much effort into healthy lifestyle changes eg: nofap, abstinence from intoxicants, daily meditation practice. I feel amazing, euphoric, grounded...followed by boredom, sadness, rage.

Realize that without a community or a practice I'm just taking supplements and making healthy lifestyle changes.

Fascinated by what I've read on Microcosmic Orbit, and the taijitu symbol. I'd love a better understanding of the elementals and wu-wei.

Looking for comrades in my stumble up or down this mountain.

• Like 4

Hello Mikal, and welcome to the forums!

Your membership is appproved, happy to have you here :-)

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

SC and the TDB team

Hi Mikal,

I think I am a human too. That makes two of us!

Furthermore, I think I essentially share the same name with you, as well as an interest in Zen, Daoism, Qigong, Chinese herbs. What else? Well, we'll see! Anyway, I look forward to talking about mountain stumbling/climbing with you.

Welcome to the forum!

Michael

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

When I was in a high stress job what really helped me was the martial arts.  Great way to blow off steam, I did Aikido which was good because it was hands on; big attacks, big throws yet relatively rehearsed do you didn't get too beaten up.  Versus Karate where I'd leave with bruises each day. 

• Like 1

LMAO....as a small / slight Teenager I joined a Kyokushinkai (Knock-Down, full contact) Karate class, for self defence. came home covered in bruises most nights !!

Probably would have hurt less if I'd been mugged after every class !!