Bindi

Ida and Pingala and prana

"The term 'prana' is used by some scholars interchangeably with 'Kundalini' but this is correct only in the most general sense...Prana is an electrical-like energy flow in the body which is more gross and more accessible than Kundalini, and in fact, keeps the entire system in working order even while Kundalini lies asleep or dormant at the base of the spine. It could be considered a stepped-down vibration of the more powerful Kundalini force..."

Bonnie Greenwell in Energies of Transformation

To my understanding the pranic system needs to be cleared of obstructions, especially ida and pingala nadi’s, but clearing them has an effect on all the minor nadi’s as well. Clearing ida and pingala I think also includes clearing and opening the chakras along the way, but pranic energy doesn’t seem to ‘realise’ the chakras, perhaps this is what kundalini energy is for.

But I do think that pranic energy is very useful, and like the author writes in the quote above, I think it is more accessible than kundalini energy, maybe like energy kindergarten…

My experience is that obstructions in ida and pingala (and the chakras) do seem to respond to more dense methods such as work on the emotions, self enquiry, and at a certain stage energy work. There are other methods which I haven’t tried, such as alternate nostril breathing and kechari. I’m not familiar with meditation, and so I don’t know whether meditation is an attempt to clear ida and pingala, or sushumna, or something else entirely.

• Like 1

Swamiji says that prana is kundalini shakti.

http://www.swamij.com/kundalini-awakening-1.htm

Prana normally flows in either Ida or Pingala: Our kundalini energy system is usually more active in either the left or right sides, which are the Ida and Pingala. Of the thousands of energy channels (nadis), three are most important: Ida, Pingala, and Sushumna (sometimes called "silver cord"), which is the central channel, and the most important.

Solar and lunar breaths: The breath and the underlying energy, or Prana, usually flow predominantly on one side or other, the left or the right. Breath predominantly in the left nostril is described as cool, and sometimes referred to as feminine. The flow of Prana on the left is the lunar, and is called Ida. Breath flowing predominantly in the right nostril is described as hot, and sometimes referred to as masculine. The flow of Prana on the right is the solar, and is called Pingala.

Nostril dominance shifts: Usually we believe that we are breathing through both nostrils, although breath is normally dominant in one or the other. The dominance shifts from time to time during the day. For one with a well balanced body and mind, that shift of nostril dominance happens approximately once in ninety minutes. For other people, the shift may be much different. Sometimes one can be so off balance that one nostril remains dominant, which is a symptom of some physical, mental, or emotional difficulties.

Prana is the first energy: The word Prana comes from two roots. Pra means first, and na is the smallest unit of energy. Prana is therefore the first breath, the primal or atomic beginning of the flow of energy. Out of this first unit of energy manifests all aspects and levels of the human being. It is one and the same with kundalini shakti.

Prana flows in nadis: That kundalini, manifesting as Prana flows in certain patterns, or lines, or channels that are called nadis. There are said to be some 72,000 such nadis coursing through the subtle body that supports the physical body and its various systems. When the Prana flows across the latent impressions, they spring to life in the form of awareness in the conscious mind, in the physical body and brain.

Intersections of the nadis are chakras: When kundalini manifests outward, those thousands of nadis intersect here and there, forming the matrix of the subtle body. The major intersections are called chakras (section #5), and the five elements of earth, water, fire, air, and space manifest around these so as to form the gross body. Often, we speak of chakras as if they are in the body. Actually, this is somewhat backwards. It is more like the body has been suspended on the subtle chakras, with these chakras being formed or constructed by the major highway intersections of the nadis, which are none other than kundalini shakti.

When you refer to "meditation" you have to be specific because there are many kinds and styles of meditation. The varied types of meditation address the level of accomplishment, intelligence and capacities of the person. Typically, the tantric types of "meditation" or transformative energetic practices use the breath and energy directed by will and intent, to clear the channels/nadis. Then there is the samadhic styles of meditation which calm and focus the mind. Once the mind is calmed, balanced and focused it is then used to perform inquiry or close examination of phenomenon as in vipassana.

Of course, on the journey there are many distractions and it is important to set your goals and stick to them. If exploring the astral realms is your goal, you should choose the appropriate practices. If your goal is enlightenment, then you could start at the bottom and progressively work your way up. Or, if you suspect you may be ripened from previous lives, you could start at the top and work your way down until you reach the level where you are at. Either method can work, and either method could waste your time.

It is also good if you can find an authentic guru or authentic teacher, one whom has siddhis so that they can sense your level and give you custom guidance.

Typically you should first start out with something that resonates with you, that you are drawn to and have some inclination and desire to pursue.

Some of the downfalls you will discover when trying to pick a school of practice... Each one will say that their method is the best. Each one has their own language and culture yet the meaning behind the terms and language that they use may be different. A good example of that is the usage of the terms "awakening" and "enlightenment". In the west, both terms usually indicate a lower level of accomplishment, perhaps the accomplishment of nirvikalpa samadhi once or twice, when in the east, only truly ripe, accomplished practitioners are deemed to have awoken or become enlightened. These are the masters whom can leave their footprints in stone, or perform some kind of miracle proving their mastery. So, some study is warranted before choosing a "school".

I would disagree with your statement about prana not recognizing the chakras. Prana is life force and you use life force, intent and willpower to spin the chakras. So, it is important to train the mind, the visualization, intent and will and have them under control as a first step. Prana follows attention.

:)

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 1

...I would disagree with your statement about prana not recognizing the chakras. Prana is life force and you use life force, intent and willpower to spin the chakras. So, it is important to train the mind, the visualization, intent and will and have them under control as a first step. Prana follows attention.

I realise there are a few different opinions about the difference between kundalini and prana. If prana is kundalini Shakti, I personally don't see how it could be active in Ida and Pingala and other minor nadi's before being released from the base of the spine.

This information may be wrong, but I gather Tibetan yogins consider the activation of prana (Tibetan: rlung) as merely a prerequisite for the activation of kundalini (Tibetan: gTummo).

Or it might be just a matter of degree, so some kundalini energy entering the system when kundalini 'awakens' before being fully released, like steam escaping from a closed pot.

Also this speaks to my other point, that nothing much seems to happen when chakras are acted upon and cleared and opened through ida and pingala pathways, but I believe they must have been somehow prepared and then become 'realised' or fully activated or 'pierced' when kundalini energy is then released (which would include acquiring the gifts and siddhis contained within each chakra).

And equally it seems to me that chakras that are exposed to released kundalini energy don't become activated or 'realised' merely by kundalini release, until they are acted upon by some other force, which I suspect is the prana from ida and pingala.

Anyway, I started this thread to try and figure these sorts of issues out :)

Edited by Bindi

http://www.swamij.com/kundalini-awakening-1.htm

When you refer to "meditation" you have to be specific because there are many kinds and styles of meditation. The varied types of meditation address the level of accomplishment, intelligence and capacities of the person. Typically, the tantric types of "meditation" or transformative energetic practices use the breath and energy directed by will and intent, to clear the channels/nadis. Then there is the samadhic styles of meditation which calm and focus the mind. Once the mind is calmed, balanced and focused it is then used to perform inquiry or close examination of phenomenon as in vipassana.

Of course, on the journey there are many distractions and it is important to set your goals and stick to them. If exploring the astral realms is your goal, you should choose the appropriate practices. If your goal is enlightenment, then you could start at the bottom and progressively work your way up. Or, if you suspect you may be ripened from previous lives, you could start at the top and work your way down until you reach the level where you are at. Either method can work, and either method could waste your time.

It is also good if you can find an authentic guru or authentic teacher, one whom has siddhis so that they can sense your level and give you custom guidance.

Typically you should first start out with something that resonates with you, that you are drawn to and have some inclination and desire to pursue.

Some of the downfalls you will discover when trying to pick a school of practice... Each one will say that their method is the best. Each one has their own language and culture yet the meaning behind the terms and language that they use may be different. A good example of that is the usage of the terms "awakening" and "enlightenment". In the west, both terms usually indicate a lower level of accomplishment, perhaps the accomplishment of nirvikalpa samadhi once or twice, when in the east, only truly ripe, accomplished practitioners are deemed to have awoken or become enlightened. These are the masters whom can leave their footprints in stone, or perform some kind of miracle proving their mastery. So, some study is warranted before choosing a "school".

I would disagree with your statement about prana not recognizing the chakras. Prana is life force and you use life force, intent and willpower to spin the chakras. So, it is important to train the mind, the visualization, intent and will and have them under control as a first step. Prana follows attention.

Kundalini operates through prana.

Intent and willpower are actually aspects of shakti not personal means. Every desire is desire of shakti. Main desire is to unite with shiva. Utilisation of desires is tantra.

Along with surrendering, cleaning of nadis comes. It is natural process, there is no doing here nor techniques. All techniques are mimicked from this natural process.

Teacher is requirement not a choice. And there is a reason for that.

Prana shakti is tha name given to prana after awakening, where this particular prana shakti washes the system and transforms the body mind

Edited by Kubba
  • Like 1

One energy, the energy of consciousness, which changes form and has different names in the different forms.

The Kundalini Shakti

There is one energy (Shakti) in the universe that keeps changing its form. Each time that that energy changes form, we give it a new name. Following is a description of how this works. In reflecting on this, it is important to keep in mind that some schools, teachers, or lineages use the various terminologies somewhat differently from one another, though the principles might be essentially the same. It is the process that we want to clearly understand, so that we may journey through these levels to their source.

•Shakti: The universal energy of consciousness is called Shakti.

•Kundalini-Shakti: The word kunda means a bowl in which fire is burned. Thus, when Shakti resides in a bowl called kunda at the base of the spine, it is called Kundalini-Shakti. Going back to the river metaphor, imagine that you are holding a bowl called kunda in your hand. When you plunge the bowl into the river, you say, "I have put the bowl into the river." However, the moment you pull your hand and the bowl out of the river, you say, "I have water in the bowl." In that moment, the river was given a new name, changing it from river to water.

•Kundalini: Then, in our common language, the word Shakti is dropped away, and the energy in the bowl is simply called Kundalini. In effect, Kundalini-Shakti has been given a new name, simply Kundalini. Even though it is now called simply Kundalini, it remains none other than pure Shakti. The only difference, if you can call it a difference, is that the Shakti is now in the bowl.

•Prana: A tiny amount of the energy called Kundalini radiates off of its subtle mass, like steam rising from a bowl of boiling water. That radiating energy is called Prana. Again, once it changes form slightly, it gets a new name. Just like the water turning to steam, while still remaining water, the Kundalini, which is still Shakti, "becomes" Prana.

•Nadis: That Prana tends to flow in certain patterns, or lines, like the steam rising in more or less predictable channels. These lines, patterns, or channels are called Nadis. Once again, a new name is introduced.

http://swamij.com/shakti.htm

After Ida and Pingala are balanced, the Prana is guided to enter and flow into the mouth of Sushumna.

This flow of Prana in Sushumna is one of the first goals of meditation.

Prana flowing in Sushumna brings a great feeling of joy, sukhamana (sukha=joyous; mana=mind). The tremendous peace of mind can seem to be enlightenment itself, for those not familiar with the further reaches of Kundalini Awakening and spiritual experience.

As the spiritual journey can seem quite complex at times, this brings a simplicity to the process, by providing a sort of first bench mark to aim for (Prana flowing in Sushumna). All of the practices can then be seen as having a common goal, that of bringing Ida and Pingala to an inner balance, where Prana then flows in Sushumna.

Prana flowing in Sushumna is one of the critical points of the inner journey. The entire inner journey can be summarized in 3 steps:

• First, awakening of Sushumna [after Ida and Pingala are balanced].
• Second, Kundalini Awakening.
• Third, Kundalini rising to Sahasrara, the crown chakra.

Swami j (edited).

• Like 1