Seth Ananda

Why are so many Men posting in Nuwa, the Female sanctuary?

I have just been reading some threads in Nuwa, which clearly says Women Only, and it is overflowing with comments and posts from males. 

Not only that, there are men debating with the women there, which seems to defeat the purpose of calling it a sanctuary in the first place.

It just seems disrespectful to me, that's all. Unless of course a man was invited by women there to relay something, but that does not seem to be the case.

Are the men here that desperate to be seen as teachers or guides to women, that they have to follow them into a womens only section to tell them how its done?

Maybe i'm missing something but I am curious how the women here feel about the invasion?

• Like 3

Inanity will creep into any discussion, but we should try not to have it at the core of the OP argument.

One for the Pit?

"Why do you rob banks"?

"Because that's where all the money is"

Or as Jeff Goldlum correctly observed in the film Jurrasic Park "nature will find a way"

I never go there, are they men or boys?

They may be bees buzzing round the honeypot.

• Like 2

The Nuwa "Women's Sanctuary" enjoys owner permission status and is therefor pretty much self policing. If the Stewards there see a problem in men posting then I am sure that they will take any action that is necessary.

I hope that this answers the O.P.'s question and I would ask that any further comment in this thread is left for female users of that section of the Dao Bums rather than us men making clever comments.

• Like 2

You mean you are actively discriminating against males answer in a general forum thread ?

The Nuwa "Women's Sanctuary" enjoys owner permission status and is therefor pretty much self policing. If the Stewards there see a problem in men posting then I am sure that they will take any action that is necessary.

I hope that this answers the O.P.'s question and I would ask that any further comment in this thread is left for female users of that section of the Dao Bums rather than us men making clever comments.

I asked as it says 'Women Only' which is really quite specific, and one of the threads has a woman asking why Men are posting there.

I felt like I should ask as there is always the chance that people wont speak up when outnumbered so heavily. 

From what I remember of the decision to make the mens and womens forums in the first place, it was to give a space for each to explore among themselves where they don't have to justify or answer to members of the opposite sex.

Anyway It would be good to hear from the women, as it concerns them and their space.

The Men replying here with stupid stuff are off topic, and their opinions mean nothing as it is clearly not their space we are talking about considering it says 'Women Only"

• Like 3

I thought Nuwa was Womens cultivation but not barred to men, whereas there is a specific sub section within there called "Womens Sanctuary" which is women only.

Plus some of the threads were moved in there from other sections which accounts for some of the male posters

Not that I see any difference between male and female cultivation myself

• Like 2

@seth

Is there a men only sanctuary ? Or a blacks only sanctuary ?

And why are you acting like a peeping Tom and then castigating others for participating ?

seems a weird dual standard you are operating.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

I thought Nuwa was Womens cultivation but not barred to men, whereas there is a specific sub section within there called "Womens Sanctuary" which is women only.

I hope that is correct.

It's a good job Seth is here to look after the womenfolk.  They are too weak themselves and the rest of us would love to defend them but don't have a sword.  

• Like 2

@seth

Is there a men only sanctuary ? Or a blacks only sanctuary ?

Yes there is a Mens forum, a Buddhist forum, a Hindu forum and Occult forum... If someone really wants one they can probably get one.

And why are you acting like a peeping Tom and then castigating others for participating ?

seems a weird dual standard you are operating.

Please try to stay on topic.

I helped spearhead the move that got those forums created, and I have not looked till then. I was curious how it was going, and saw a bunch of stuff from men there. I was not there to comment as it is not my place to comment. That is why I posted it in general.

The shit women have had to deal with on this forum from certain men here, and the shit storm that ensued from trying to get proper forum rules in place to disallow marginalizing, sexist or hateful comments towards any group led to the creation of those subforums.

Anyway, hopefully Jetsun is right.

Edited by Seth Ananda
  • Like 2

Is there a men only sanctuary ?

Yes...

Or a blacks only sanctuary ?

I'm sure that if the skin colour of members were generally known and in any way relevant then yes, there would be. But it's actually entirely irrelevant! (Whereas sex/gender is generally known and does often engender contention).

It's a good job Seth is here to look after the womenfolk.  They are too weak themselves and the rest of us would love to defend them but don't have a sword.  

There have been a couple of discussions on this in which a number of regular female members have agreed with the notion that male members should sometimes keep their noses out of female-oriented discussion. I would imagine that there is something of an attitude of resignation to the fact that some people just can't help it.

• Like 1

I have several swords but please stay on topic. 

• Like 2

Having said that, Seth, I just had a look in Nvwa, and it would appear that there have only been a couple of new topics started in the last few months, and that our female members just haven't had much to say... in the same way that there hasn't been much male activity in the Fuxi section (though there have been more than enough topics posted about the overtly male topic of semen retention in the Daoist Discussion and other forums... :glare:)

Edited by dustybeijing

Yes...

I'm sure that if the skin colour of members were generally known and in any way relevant then yes, there would be. But it's actually entirely irrelevant! (Whereas sex/gender is generally known and does often engender contention).

There have been a couple of discussions on this in which a number of regular female members have agreed with the notion that male members should sometimes keep their noses out of female-oriented discussion. I would imagine that there is something of an attitude of resignation to the fact that some people just can't help it.

Aw no. Why would anyone need such a thing ?

Telling men or women to keep there noses out its just an ad hominem. "What do you know you are just a bloke, woman, young, old, white, middle aged etc".

Still, it's the rules but it seems somewhat negative. Who needs confirmation of there own beliefs.

As Seth mentioned, there has been quite a bit of misogyny on TDB in the past. Other forms of prejudice too, but the misogyny is most pronounced as gender is often prominently displayed, and far more important than "race" in most Taoist, Buddhist, and other similar discussion.

There's also been far too many semen retention topics. I was in favour of the male-only forum purely in the hope that semen stuff would be relegated there. Alas, no.

• Like 3

You mean you are actively discriminating against males answer in a general forum thread ?

I am descriminating against no one.

There is however always a danger in threads such as this that posts will appear that can be classed as veiled or openly offensive. I am simply asking for a level of decent behaviour.

I believe that you are well aware of my intent and that your post (quoted above) is an example of mischief making that is all too common on internet forums.

In future please do not attempt to deliberately misconstrue my words or those of others in ways that may lead to the derailing of a thread.

• Like 3

Yes there is a Mens forum, a Buddhist forum, a Hindu forum and Occult forum... If someone really wants one they can probably get one.

Please try to stay on topic.

I helped spearhead the move that got those forums created, and I have not looked till then. I was curious how it was going, and saw a bunch of stuff from men there. I was not there to comment as it is not my place to comment. That is why I posted it in general.

The shit women have had to deal with on this forum from certain men here, and the shit storm that ensued from trying to get proper forum rules in place to disallow marginalizing, sexist or hateful comments towards any group led to the creation of those subforums.

Anyway, hopefully Jetsun is right.

That stuff doesn't go away by creating a seperate forum. Women can stand their own ground. This isn't any place where a physical confrontation can occur. It's a level playing field in here.

I always think it's a pity when segregation, or positive discrimination occurs it really disempowers women. I had a female CEO in a previous role and I had it in my head that we should run a 'women only' business start up club. My boss gave me the kind of look She reserved for a cat that brought her a dead rat. Sweet, but useless. Then she put me right.

Edited by Karl

I would ask that any further comment in THIS thread is left for FEMALE users of that section of the Dao Bums rather than us men making clever comments.

I really was asking you to clarify. I've read that sentence several times and it suggested that men were not allowed to comment ? Have I misunderstood and you meant on the female forum ?

That stuff doesn't go away by creating a seperate forum.

Groan, you know so much for someone so new here.

The subforums have worked very well here.

General discussion used to be mayhem. Now Taoists, Buddhists, Hindu's, Men, Women and Occultists can discuss unmolested, in peace and can have constructive conversations without all the haters.

Then they are also free to post in General Discussion when they want a broader discussion with the wild and woolly general public.

Women can stand their own ground. This isn't any place where a physical confrontation can occur.

Emotional confrontation, and abuse can be very damaging. 

It's a level playing field in here.

Really?   There are far more male members of the TTB's.  A number of women reported finding the atmosphere here quite oppressive back in the day.

I always think it's a pity when segregation, or positive discrimination occurs it really disempowers women.

Who are you to say what disempowers women?

Womens groups have been a crucial healing and empowering environment for countless women.

I had a female CEO in a previous role and I had it in my head that we should run a 'women only' business start up club. My boss gave me the kind of look She reserved for a cat that brought her a dead rat. Sweet, but useless. Then she put me right.

Anyway why am I explaining myself to you? This thread and topic is not about you and your ideas.

Get on topic or get out, as I am going to start reporting you for trolling and thread derailment any Minuit now. 

Edited by Seth Ananda
  • Like 2

I really was asking you to clarify. I've read that sentence several times and it suggested that men were not allowed to comment ? Have I misunderstood and you meant on the female forum ?

It in no way suggests that men are not allowed to comment in this thread. Whilst I am a member of the Moderation team I was not posting with my Mod Cap on. I was simply "asking" for a level of decent behaviour.

It is my belief that you are well aware of this and are engaged in simple mischief making. Your behaviour is in fact derailing this thread and I would suggest that you discontinue.

• Like 1