Sign in to follow this  
Geof Nanto

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

9781590308493.jpg

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind : Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice

By Shunryu Suzuki

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few." So begins this most beloved of all American Zen books. Seldom has such a small handful of words provided a teaching as rich as has this famous opening line. In a single stroke, the simple sentence cuts through the pervasive tendency students have of getting so close to Zen as to completely miss what it's all about. An instant teaching on the first page. And that's just the beginning. In the forty years since its original publication, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" has become one of the great modern spiritual classics, much beloved, much reread, and much recommended as the best first book to read on Zen. Suzuki Roshi presents the basics--from the details of posture and breathing in zazen to the perception of nonduality--in a way that is not only remarkably clear, but that also resonates with the joy of insight from the first to the last page.

<snip>

EDIT: Link removed by Moderator

• Like 4

Beautiful book!

I didn't know it was available for free - a wonderful opportunity for all to learn (or un-learn)...

My hands are full right now with social systems theory  :)

When I'm done, I may need to re-read Suzuki.

• Like 1

I know little of Zen but enjoy what I know of it.

Though the masters do not seem to have seeped in deeply in many of the centers - the ring of them does.

Often too much seriousness - stiff and reaking of zen!

Socrates echoed the beginners mind (though an enlightened one at that) when he said "the only thing I know is that I know nothing"

Edited by Spotless

There is also a modern "non-dualist" who writes on these subjects named Steven Harrison.

I really enjoyed his book - The Question to Life's Answers.

It probably could have been edited a bit better but was worth the read.

I don't think it is free-- just another instance of internet piracy.

Beautiful book!

I didn't know it was available for free - a wonderful opportunity for all to learn (or un-learn)...

I don't think it is free-- just another instance of internet piracy.

Yes, probably but it's an interesting website, and these issues are not black or white.  It's a non-profit Indian website set up for the purpose of providing knowledge for free to the billion who can't afford it. 

I can afford books and buy plenty. (I greatly prefer printed books over ebooks.) I fully appreciate that most authors struggle financially. I have a printed copy of Zen Mind, Beginners Mind, but it's great to also have it as a pdf file for easy searching and quoting.  

And the author died 45 years ago...

Interesting that our system permits a publishing corporation to continue to profit.

There is also a link to that pdf through the University of Hawaii...

• Like 2

Indeed, aside from the fact that he's not around to care either way, if one of Suzuki's goals (& accomplishments) was to spread Zen internationally, I think it more than appropriate that his work be available for free to anyone.

Sometimes the internet can actually be a useful means of sharing positive/helpful information... :closedeyes: 

• Like 1

I am torn between respecting copyrights and the idea of sharing these beautiful teachings.

Not sure what the middle ground is but I do think current laws favor corporate publishing interests over both those of authors and readers alike. 

9781590308493.jpg

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind : Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice

By Shunryu Suzuki

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few." So begins this most beloved of all American Zen books. Seldom has such a small handful of words provided a teaching as rich as has this famous opening line. In a single stroke, the simple sentence cuts through the pervasive tendency students have of getting so close to Zen as to completely miss what it's all about. An instant teaching on the first page. And that's just the beginning. In the forty years since its original publication, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" has become one of the great modern spiritual classics, much beloved, much reread, and much recommended as the best first book to read on Zen. Suzuki Roshi presents the basics--from the details of posture and breathing in zazen to the perception of nonduality--in a way that is not only remarkably clear, but that also resonates with the joy of insight from the first to the last page.

This book is available as free pdf download here.....

<snip>

Sorry but that's copyrighted material (see page two) and that's against house rules.

Remove the link, please?

Sorry but that's copyrighted material (see page two) and that's against house rules.

Remove the link, please?

I've checked and under US law it's illegal to link to copyrighted material, unless this is done without knowledge that the material is copyrighted. (See http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/linking-copyrighted-materials )

In this case it's highly probable that the material is copyright, hence my preferred option is for Dawei to remove this entire thread. 

The thread can remain, minus the link to the copyrighted material. That original post should be edited, please.

Sign in to follow this