AussieTrees

Poison the rats or what can anyone suggest.

Yesterday was hot forecast 36C,that's about 100F,well only reached low 30s.

So had a Coke with lunch,must have a lot of caffeine cause didn't fall asleep within a minute as usual.

So lying in bed,listening for sounds coming from our persistent intruders.There was mostly silence,could only hear occasional muffled sounds from just one corner of the room,could hear periodic calls,similar to a possum growl,which is also similar to a Tasmanian devil growl.

Estimate only one or two animals left.

Today cold again,rain,expect even more noises tonight,will see,as the antechinus population could return for a warm night in our wall space.

Having read a bit of stuff written by Dalai Lama,he has commented on the meetings he has had with different rodents in his books.

This has influenced our not using baits.

The poisons used to exterminate creatures is really devastating,and has wider implications than the target species.

One personal story,years ago soon after we moved to our current home.A new friend locally born and raised farmer,gifted us four doves.

Construction of an enclosure had already occurred when converted the kids sandpit into a small aviary,well after a few years we had about twenty doves,even after we had gifted many doves to others.

Then we began finding dead doves,partly eaten carcass found nearby rathole in the corner of the aviary.So we bought some rat bait,very effective,even found several rats,they would still be alive,just sitting there in their delirium,they were dying.

A few weeks later,we were shocked to find all our doves dead,well my darling partner discovered this event whilst this author was at work,she had completed the task of burying the doves,many thanks to her.

Well the poisons come in a wax block form,and is excreted by the rodents,leaving also potent droppings,this is what we believe has killed our doves.The doves had ingested the poison thinking it was a seed or a grain of sand.

Have now converted the once converted sandpit/aviary into a shade house for our garden plants,works really well keeps pesky birds from digging in our potted plants.

Only memories of the cooing sounds from those doves.

rat droppings.

My friend went away for a couple of weeks, when she came back ,,,, multi colored  rat droppings everywhere. 

A rainbow of  colors, so many shades and varieties of  colored rat poo  ..... what the hell is going on ?  :wacko:

A few days later she went to do some art, and realized her best, high quality set of  artists colored pencils had been half eaten ! 

They get the strangest appetites at times .

Mouse plague eh? .... NO thank you ! 

• Like 1

Thankyou thelerner,

You post now echoes in our household.

Last night again very noisy with scratching sounds and antechinus chatter,our tolerance is waning,we hear the noises and now better able to ignore them,with sleep not far away there is relief.

Well no poison yet,the urge is to do is not yet overwhelming.

... told ya . 

(Mousy Schwarzenegger voice )   - I'll be back . 

• Like 1

... told ya . 

(Mousy Schwarzenegger voice )   - I'll be back . 

Gerbil Wayne : The hell you will!

• Like 1

But what the hell are these 'tail less rats' ???  :blink:

" Antechinuses have a sparsely haired tail, which is the same length as the body or shorter (65-110mm). - See more at: http://australianmuseum.net.au/is-it-a-rat#sthash.roOrH1mt.dpuf 

.... well,  I'll be ....

In an article on Tailless rats in the “National Fancy Rat Society Handbook” (pp. 51-53) Nick Mays reports that in September of 1985 a Tailless rat appeared in one of his litters. At about the same time another English fancier, Jean Judd, discovered a Tailless in one of her litters. Since that time a number of Tailless have been produced all over the world. Interestingly, many (possibly all?) of these Tailless trace their ancestry back to a strain of Siamese bred by another English fancier.

http://www.afrma.org/taillessrats.htm

I shoulkd have started at the 

'Rat Fanciers'  site  .....         ^_^

• Like 1

Unless it is an invasion of 

guineapigs.jpg

:D

But here is an Idea, if they are tailless  , contact ... whoever ... it might be some new or little known  discovery.  Maybe someone will come out and catch them for you for  ..... ...... ' research purposes'    ...   hmmmm ...  :(

• Like 1

Thanks Nungali,

Still have not found any creatures rat like with no tail.

The antechinus is what everyone locally calls them,they dig in soft soils near creek and swamp.

Sometimes very large colonies,have seen them in the wild,no tail there either.

Never seen one with a tail,apart from occasional rats brought in by the dog.

Last night still only slight sounds heard,a few still remain.

Come summer plan to replace roof sheeting on that section above bedroom.

Replace insulation,extend roof,to form a small shelter over our bedroom door.

See if any stowaways remain.

What is important is that we feel less stressed by the invasion and don't lose any sleep.

Thanks for the support.

I too don't like to kill any living creatures (even insects like mosquitoes, I just catch them in a cup and throw them outside, sometimes vacuum spiders up but apparently they can survive in there).

I always thought if I had a rat or pest problem I would buy bulk bags of the cheapest grains or whatever (wheat or oats or something) and start putting some outside for them, and progressively put it further and further away until they were no longer a nuisance, only draw back (apart from the slight monetary cost and 10 minutes or so going out and putting it out for them) I can imagine would be maybe attracting even more animals than there were originally, but if it was far enough away that shouldn't pose a problem really. Just my hypothetical approach.

P.S why is it that women are always more up for getting rid of pests or creatures violently lol? My mum just squishes any insects onsight and poisons rats, salt on slugs etc...

• Like 1

I too don't like to kill any living creatures (even insects like mosquitoes, I just catch them in a cup and throw them outside, sometimes vacuum spiders up but apparently they can survive in there).

I always thought if I had a rat or pest problem I would buy bulk bags of the cheapest grains or whatever (wheat or oats or something) and start putting some outside for them, and progressively put it further and further away until they were no longer a nuisance, only draw back (apart from the slight monetary cost and 10 minutes or so going out and putting it out for them) I can imagine would be maybe attracting even more animals than there were originally, but if it was far enough away that shouldn't pose a problem really. Just my hypothetical approach.

P.S why is it that women are always more up for getting rid of pests or creatures violently lol? My mum just squishes any insects onsight and poisons rats, salt on slugs etc...

Thanks Synchronic,

Yes we all become reactive,some shouting,screening,"get the broom",when we encounter live rodents running about the house.

Observing the intruder is fun,when on holiday in south Australia we would throw nutragrains to a mouse visitor,the mouse was bold and would prop himself up on his back legs whilst eating.

Rebirth as a rodent,maybe have been there,who knows.

Our antechinus(rat)problem,has improved,last two night very quiet,hoping our guests have departed.

Poison if you must,or try a different approach,which in this case doing nothing.

• Like 1

Suggest that you watch the Original Star Trek Series Episode "The Trouble With Tribbles" !! ;)

• Like 2

Suggest that you watch the Original Star Trek Series Episode "The Trouble With Tribbles" !! ;)

Thanks Basher,

If it was on Star Trek there is a good chance already seen it,vague recollections.

Keep thinking of the King with mice problems,they get cats,then dogs,then lions,followed by elephants which will be the biggest problem,then they get mice to get rid of the elephants,seen the cartoon.

Last night very quiet no wind,listening for the intruders,just quiet,summer is only weeks away.

Also last night whilst watching tv with the kids,we all witnessed a mouse,very small mouse,doing a floor show for us,no one reacted,we just watched,it was entertaining,more so than the tv.

We have all been influenced by the big companies selling their products,the commercial with everyone screaming at the mice is a good one.

It is an easy subject to ramp up hysteria and profits.

Are we brain washed into killing every living thing,from insects to large animals,"yes kill it",spray it,shoot it,burn it,stomp on it,bait it,stuff it.we are effient killers.

There are times when we take action for peace of mind.

How can you get peace of mind from killing creatures?

It is an easy subject to ramp up hysteria and profits.

Are we brain washed into killing every living thing,from insects to large animals,"yes kill it",spray it,shoot it,burn it,stomp on it,bait it,stuff it.we are effient killers.

There are times when we take action for peace of mind.  How can you get peace of mind from killing creatures?

In any act of killing there is strong sense of separation; a closing of eyes and hearts.   If we decide on that course of action we can do our best to make death swift and say a prayer of respect to the lost soul.   Maybe we can also be mindful to do wildlife some good. 

So many things are double edged swords though.  Across the street from me, my neighbor is quite the bird feeder.  He has at least 4 or 5 up and filled all year.   The birds get it first, the squirrels second, rodents after that.  He and his neighbor on that side,get mice problems probably because of those feeders.  

Hard messy world.  One tries to minimize harm and walk softly but we in civilization are large destructive beasts. 

• Like 1

Mine came back twice   ( 'mine'  ...  :D )  and I really smashed the walls where I heard it , so it moved to a new place where there was a gap in the wood ... I stuck a ruler in there and shoved it around and it took off .

Hasnt been back ... no killing , and now ... quiet .

For now.  

I too enjoy the little guys, prob here is , it goes from enjoyment to too many, and as I said .... I just dont want em in my bed, and nibbling my ears at night. 

The best I can do is make an arrangement: " The food in here is locked away, you cant get it. nesting here is too noisy for you. I put food out for you, and make habitats out there. ...

.... at times it just comes down to this ..."      < draws line in sand >. 

Oh ... by the way .... dont  do the cat elephant thingo .... one of these is sufficient    (and they can be quiet friendly to people)

5886333_orig.jpg

• Like 1

... Good Lord !   I dont believe it !   Just as I hit post ... rusting inside the ceiling !  

"What did I just say ! "

< rustle rustle >  

"Oh yeah !  ... you want some of this ? ! "

< centers  above pic on screen ... holds screen up to ceiling and shakes it > 

• Like 2

Hmmmm ....  carpet snake scent spray  ? 

That's it,don't kill the snakes,haven't seen any this season,but there are plenty in the are esp. Local swamp.

In any act of killing there is strong sense of separation; a closing of eyes and hearts.   If we decide on that course of action we can do our best to make death swift and say a prayer of respect to the lost soul.   Maybe we can also be mindful to do wildlife some good. 

So many things are double edged swords though.  Across the street from me, my neighbor is quite the bird feeder.  He has at least 4 or 5 up and filled all year.   The birds get it first, the squirrels second, rodents after that.  He and his neighbor on that side,get mice problems probably because of those feeders.  

Hard messy world.  One tries to minimize harm and walk softly but we in civilization are large destructive beasts. 

Hi thelerner,

Everyday we still impact heavily on animal life.

Listening to talk back last Sunday this truck driver complained bitterly about how stupid kangaroos were,as he constantly collecting them whilst driving his heavy rig.

He gave little consideration to the kangaroo that lives in that paddock where someone decided put a road through.

Yes as a young child still have vivid memories of having to kill and clean a chicken,usually on a Saturday so we could have a Sunday lunch,we got a fridge eventually and it was possible to buy frozen chicken,so this job got a voluntary redundancy.

5886333_orig.jpg

What do you call that long funny looking creature?

and what kind of snake is it holding? 

• Like 1

Its not me .... I look funnier than that .   But I will pick up  or catch a big carpet snake like that ( some times people ask me to get them out of their house or chook pen . They are amazing magical beings !

By the way ... I was looking at that morepie  thread and I type mopie ... or some word like it , into my chrome search box set on image ( just to see what would come up) and your Daobums pic was the first pic at top left of page .  

That was pretty weird .  :unsure:

• Like 2

Friend told me last night;

"You remember last year when I lost that $300 in 50s off the table and I accused my BFs son of nicking it ... and it started a big fight ?  Well yesterday the builder was doing some rewiring , pulled off some wall boards and found a rats nest with   5 $50s in it ... we looked around and found the other one ... all in good condition. "

^_^

• Like 1

"You remember last year when I lost that $300 in 50s off the table and I accused my BFs son of nicking it ... and it started a big fight ?  Well yesterday the builder was doing some rewiring , pulled off some wall boards and found a rats nest with   5 $50s in it ... we looked around and found the other one ... all in good condition. "

^_^

Hi Nungali,

Thankyou for this story,had to repost as my post disappeared,or forgot to add post.

Good to hear of your honest electrician.

Did you mention this to you BF and son,who also seems to be honest.

Best of all you got your three hundred bucks.

On my rat issues,all is quiet,which gives further evidence that mine are marsupial antechinus.If they were the European rats they would not have moved out with the onset of warmer weather,so very happy we did not poison.

Also grateful for the experience,there are always lessons to be learnt about self.

Dude .... what ??? 

'my BF and son "  ?  :blink:

NOTE: 

"   Friend told me :   and followed by   :  " .....    "     "

I wish those rats  HAD bought that money to my place     ^_^    

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Dude .... what ??? 

'my BF and son "  ?  :blink:

NOTE: 

"   Friend told me :   and followed by   :  " .....    "     "

I wish those rats  HAD bought that money to my place     ^_^    

Thanks Nungali,

]Dude .... what ???,and my BF and son "  ?  :blink:,struggling with interpretations.

Train your rats well,they may take care of your money,reward them with peanut butter,good rats.

Thanks Nungali,

]Dude .... what ???,and my BF and son "  ?   :blink:,struggling with interpretations.

.. and  punctuation.

I was  quoting a friend ... I was pointing out I said 

"  A friend said " ... followed by   ;  (this)   and this " ....

My friend said this - quote  ...  She accused her boyfriend .... 

She has a boyfriend and she accused her son ... I do not have a boyfriend . 

- Good Lord ... now even people I am on friendly terms with cannot understand what I wrote in simple language and standard punctuation ! 

No offense Aussie ... but there has been a lot of that around lately 

is it me ???  :unsure:

Train your rats well,they may take care of your money,reward them with peanut butter,good rats.

... even I know what that means even within the misinterpretation.  

maybe I need more coffee .  :mellow:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Thanks Nungali,

Boyfriend,my interpretation was BF=best friend and son.

Bastard abbreviations,always forget what they stand for,surely not saving any time,they should be banned or abbreviated.

So it was your friends boyfriend's son who will receive an apology?

And it was not an honest electrician but an honest builder.

Just to be clear it was the rats that were taking care of the money,sounds like a bank.

Yes more coffe and a joint.

Edited by Aussie