expanse68

Hi everyone!

Hi everyone! I'm bad at introductions, but here goes...

I'm from KY in the U.S. I was raised catholic, but have considered myself atheist/agnostic for the past 30 years.

I've recently realized that even though I was aware of how mental filters shape your perceptions of the outside world, it never occurred to me that no matter how open-minded that I thought I was, I was still viewing the world through a skeptic, scientific thought process. Instead of experiencing life to see what it's all about, I've been looking at it from the outside.

New friends have gotten me to consider investigating/experiencing a spiritual life.

I've read a lot about Taoism, and really like what I've learned about it. I believe that I feel more of a connection with Taoism and Buddhism than any other philosophies or religions.

I'm sure I will learn a lot more here, and I really hope that I can contribute.

• Like 3

Hello expanse, and welcome to the forums!

Your membership is approved, and we're happy to welcome you. Please don't feel pressured to "contribute" in the sense of providing constructive input; just relax, play it by ear and enjoy yourself :-)

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

SC and the TDB team

• Like 1

Hey Expanse,

You're right about mental filters. One of the things I'm realising at the moment is how 'conditioned' 90% to 99% of our responses are in any situation.  Our 'concious' mind has perhaps a 10% or even only 1% influence on how we actually behave. This insignificant influence we have over ourselves is both terrible and great. Terrible in that it is so little, but great in that we do have some influence.

Good luck on your path sir.

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 1

Thank you Soaring crane, Miffymog, and Wilfred for your welcoming words!

Hello expanse, and welcome to the forums!

Your membership is approved, and we're happy to welcome you. Please don't feel pressured to "contribute" in the sense of providing constructive input; just relax, play it by ear and enjoy yourself :-)

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

Hey Expanse,

You're right about mental filters. One of the things I'm realising at the moment is how 'conditioned' 90% to 99% of our responses are in any situation.  Our 'concious' mind has perhaps a 10% or even only 1% influence on how we actually behave. This insignificant influence we have over ourselves is both terrible and great. Terrible in that it is so little, but great in that we do have some influence.

Good luck on your path sir.

hello :)
  • Like 1