daojones

Pranayama for Brain Fog & Excess Wind

I did nadi shodhana pranayama today and i think it helped for my brain fog I am experienced, which I believe is being caused by stuck/excess wind. 

Going to experiment some more with this, but just wondering if there's any other pranayama you would recommend.

Here is a favorite:

http://community.livingunbound.net/i.../#comment-3783

Primordial - Foundation Energy Practice - Internal Fire

Sit cross legged (or in a chair) with back straight in a comfortable position. Place your tongue on the roof of your mouth and take a few deep, relaxing breaths. Rest your hands in your lap and let the tension drop from your body with each breath.

Picture the sun high above your head. Feel the radiant warmth of the sun for a few moments. Then feel a powerful sunbeam coming straight down from the sun and hitting directly on the top of your head.

Feel the warmth of the sunbeam on the top of your head. When you have the warmth, imagine that the light starts flowing through into your head, filling the third eye and sparkling as it does. Then continuing down, tickling your throat as it goes by, and down into your heart. Feel the warmth in your heart as it radiates out to fill your entire chest cavity. Make it as bright as possible.

When this expanded heart space is a bright as the sun... Send it deep down through your legs and feet into the ground. Then push deeper and deeper like a laser beam into the center of the earth.

When the beam hits the center of the earth, feel it hit the magma, which then returns a powerful flow up and up, through the earth and back up through your feet and legs and exploding into your heart. Feel your heart grow. Feel it grow until it encompasses your entire body. Rest in your expanded heart for a few moments. Then send a beam back up to the sun and feel it respond with another flow back down to you.

Know yourself as the center of an energy loop connecting the Earth and the Sun through your body and based in your heart.

Like fire rising and water flowing down.

Hold this image as brightly and clearly as you can and give the divine intent for it to continue flowing in that way. Your subconscious will now maintain the circuit flow, while you continue with daily activities.

This practice should be done eight times daily until it becomes stabilized (usually around a month). There is no need for concurrent repetitions and it may be done at any quiet time during day.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Tom

• Like 2

I did nadi shodhana pranayama today and i think it helped for my brain fog I am experienced, which I believe is being caused by stuck/excess wind. 

Going to experiment some more with this, but just wondering if there's any other pranayama you would recommend.

We used to get punished in school with this. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Hold your left ear-lobe (soft part) between right thumb and index finger. Hold your right one with your left hand (similarly).

Do 10-15 squats everyday and see how the brain fog disappears.

• Like 2

That's dumb TI.

Offer an alternative please instead of spamming the thread.

Now that you mention it, The topic of this post is pranayama. It is you whom has "spammed the thread" with a non-pranayamic topic.

Pranayama is the restraint of prana, produced by controlling the breath. Cleansing pranayamas are practices like bhastrika, breath of fire or other forms of rapid breathing.

Instead, you've posted a practice of how to hang your vacuum hose down into the three hells and suck up whatever entities might catch on. You offer no advice about protection and you don't even seem to care about protecting others.

Here is an advanced practitioner's advice concerning something similar to what you have brought up...

He mentions making the columns impenetratable. He also considers the effect on other beings...

Usually I would say that pranayama should be studied under supervision.

That's especially true in the dzogchen tradition I follow. Thesr teachings are usually given after completing ngondro or after finishing at least the first half

You find teachings on an excellent practice involving breath and visualisations to purify the winds in longchenpas shingta chenmo - his auto commentary on "resting in the nature of mind"

To practice these teachings you need have received a tantric empowerment including the third empowerment (wisdom empowerment)

And have the transmission for the text and instruction as well as guidance of an authentic lineage holder.

Why do I say all this? Not to bore you but to make you understand that actual pranayama is to help you realize your true potential not just to feel better and function better in the world

That being said I think that some Indian yogic traditions teach more "outer" forms of pranayama and kumbhaka together with asana practice to prepare for the "inner" pranayama involving the winds directly

I still think its not so good to learn these things from a book, dvd , YouTube or a wellness type western yoga teacher

These teachings are profound and have profound effects if done with the correct philosophical understanding of the different yogic traditions and the right motivation

Not just to feel better or get temporal relief for a certain health problem but focused on enlightenment for the benefit of all beings

Anyway Google tsokny Rinpoche + gentle vase breathing

Learn to be comfortable with "less" breathing -

Wind problems usually come from excess thinking and breathing

But that is hard to say online - so please find an authentic teacher of an authentic yogic lineage

All the best

• Like 1

Here is a favorite:

http://community.livingunbound.net/i.../#comment-3783

Primordial - Foundation Energy Practice - Internal Fire

Sit cross legged (or in a chair) with back straight in a comfortable position. Place your tongue on the roof of your mouth and take a few deep, relaxing breaths. Rest your hands in your lap and let the tension drop from your body with each breath.

Picture the sun high above your head. Feel the radiant warmth of the sun for a few moments. Then feel a powerful sunbeam coming straight down from the sun and hitting directly on the top of your head.

Feel the warmth of the sunbeam on the top of your head. When you have the warmth, imagine that the light starts flowing through into your head, filling the third eye and sparkling as it does. Then continuing down, tickling your throat as it goes by, and down into your heart. Feel the warmth in your heart as it radiates out to fill your entire chest cavity. Make it as bright as possible.

When this expanded heart space is a bright as the sun... Send it deep down through your legs and feet into the ground. Then push deeper and deeper like a laser beam into the center of the earth.

When the beam hits the center of the earth, feel it hit the magma, which then returns a powerful flow up and up, through the earth and back up through your feet and legs and exploding into your heart. Feel your heart grow. Feel it grow until it encompasses your entire body. Rest in your expanded heart for a few moments. Then send a beam back up to the sun and feel it respond with another flow back down to you.

Know yourself as the center of an energy loop connecting the Earth and the Sun through your body and based in your heart.

Like fire rising and water flowing down.

Hold this image as brightly and clearly as you can and give the divine intent for it to continue flowing in that way. Your subconscious will now maintain the circuit flow, while you continue with daily activities.

This practice should be done eight times daily until it becomes stabilized (usually around a month). There is no need for concurrent repetitions and it may be done at any quiet time during day.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Tom

Do you know the provenance of this exercise? It has a Daoist flavor to it.

That's dumb TI.

Offer an alternative please instead of spamming the thread.

Even the greatly respected "Gurudeva" points out the importance of psychic protection.

These excerpts from this book demonstrate that entities exist, that they attack your chakras below the muladhara, and that it is necessary to protect one's self.

From "Merging With Shiva", Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

That means fully get out of bed, get dressed and do something useful. If you just roll over and go into the semiconscious dream world, you can go into subconscious areas, into the Pretaloka, and even have astral attacks from astral entities, and even into the talas below the mûlâdhâra. This drains the physical and astral energies of their life and vigor. In my early training, both ways were tested, so the knowledge from actual experience is evident.

There is one last part of this sâdhana that you should learn to make your understanding of the human aura complete, and that is the knowledge of the auric circle. The auric circle is an energy shell around the aura itself. It acts as a shelter or shield against all forms of psychic influences directed consciously or unconsciously against the in- dividual. Unlike charging the aura with prâ∫ic energy through breathing, the auric circle is quickly and easily formed by making a mental image of an egg completely surrounding your aura. The shell should be visualized as a great oval of translucent white light with an opening at the top the size of your head. It is egg-shaped or oval because it fringes the aura as the shell encases an egg. It should be visualized about three to four feet in depth at the widest point, tapering to about two feet at the head and feet.

It takes but a little effort of the will to visualize and project this protec- tive, translucent shell around your aura on the astral plane. Though you may not see it, you will feel its protective presence. Once you have built up the protective shell around your aura, then it needs only to be renewed from time to time. You can easily do so by extending both arms out in front of you, waist high. Then press the palms of your hands together and visualize energy flowing from your solar plexus into your hands. Once the flow of prâ∫a is established, slowly part your hands while feeling the prâ∫a emanating from your fingertips. This prâ∫a remains in the outer shell of your aura. Move your arms out to the side and then completely around to the back of your body until the fingers and palms touch again. All the time you are doing this, keep sending the prâ∫a out into the shell of your aura from your fingertips. Strengthening the protective circle around your aura in this way from time to time will be quite helpful to you in manifesting a fuller and more joyous life, because it will definitely ward off all forms of psychic attack or evil influence, no matter what the source. The auric circle surrounding a vibrant aura charged with the proper colors, fortified by sending the vital prâ∫as from the prâ∫ic body, affords protection against the draining of physical strength by astral entities in extreme cases of astral attacks. In short, this protective, translucent white shell is a spiritual shield which filters out those influences which would be harmful or upsetting to you. Before beginning your prayers or meditations, you should always strengthen this protective shield.

As we progress along the path, we become more and more and more sensitive. This sensitivity is a wonderful thing. It’s like graduating from being an old battery-set radio of the 1920s and ’30s to a sophisticated, solid-state television. This sensitivity that you will begin to recognize is so refined and yet so strong. You communicate with yourself through the nerve currents which extend out, around and through the physical body—physical nerve currents as well as psychic nerve currents. Before we get deeply within on the path, we’re not too sensitive. But as this sen- sitivity develops, we begin to see through our hands. We begin to hear feeling. We begin to see sound, and all sorts of new faculties manifest.

Now, this can be very distressing, because we see things that we ordinarily would not be able to see. We hear meaning in what people say that ordinarily we would be unaware of, and we can become very disappointed in life, in people or in ourselves. This may seem like falling into a bog on the path, and we don’t want to do this. We want to be sensitive, and yet we want protection, psychic protection. Our dreams become more well defined, but we don’t want to be vulnerable to negative areas of the mind, disruptive areas, experiential areas of the astral plane, while we are sleeping. Neither do we wish to be attacked on the astral plane by the mischievous beings, entities, that are on that particular side of life.

And here we see that entities often attach to the grounding chord.

http://kundalini-teacher.com/guidance/entit.php

Persistent illogical fears, can usually be treated as an entity. Grab onto the thought and do a clearing on it, and the entity connected to it will go too. If you notice comments in your mind that do not make much sense, treat them as an entity. If you notice some thoughts have a squirming impact somewhere in your body, you are probably feeling an entity reacting. Generally, entities like to hang around the heart and power chakras because most entities want to feed on your love or your power. They can be anywhere in the body or on the grounding cord, but I always look at those two chakras first, because entities there are the most problematic. Entities in the heart like to try to masquerade as the Heart Voice, and entities in the power chakra can give a false negative "gut reaction" that makes it more difficult to surrender and have faith.

If using your inner vision, ask to be shown what entities need to be cleared. For the sake of not feeding them with attention, ask for them to show up as dark abstract shapes within your aura. Also look at your lower grounding cord. There may be smoke or leeches feeding on your connection to the Earth.

So don't be too quick to dismiss subjects or adopt practices you know nothing about.

:)

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

All the enlightened ones that we know,  have taught us the same thing...... Let   morality/virtue/Sila/wholesome-ness   be your  shield of protection.   This  shield of protection  grows more powerful, over time; so keep at it without giving up.

Do you know the provenance of this exercise? It has a Daoist flavor to it.

Hi Steve,

Please forgive me for not responding sooner.

The technique is the only technique that Jeff has brought forth. Everything else he does is a mind to mind in nature.

A lot of people seem to like Internal Fire.

• Like 1