Sign in to follow this  
Ell

Zhang Liang

The following is an excerpt from the I-Ching by Alfred Huang, which I'm just really beginning to delve into:

"In Chinese history, the greatest prime minister was a Taoist sage named Chang Liang. Chang Liang assisted the first emperor of the Han Dynasty, Liu Pong, who overthrew the tyrant emperor of the Shin Dynasty. Chang Liang then withdrew from his active life, becoming a hermit. Where did he go? No one knows. This is the true spirit of taking no credit for success, but bringing everything to completion. Chang Liang followed the instruction of this yao: After succeeding, resign. He embraced the Tao of I: When things reach the extreme, they alternate to the opposite. Chang Liang realized that with success his prestige ws at its highest, just short of the emperor, but sooner or later he would fall. As he predicted, the emperor became suspicious and after a time had all the other ministers killed one by one. Chang Liang has come to be regarded as the wisest person ever known in China."

I'm interested to learn more, particularly of any legends surroundings his later life seclusion....Does anyone know of any good readings on this Zhang Liang? 

I'm interested to learn more, particularly of any legends surroundings his later life seclusion....Does anyone know of any good readings on this Zhang Liang? 

Little is known about Zhang Liang's later life, hence his final resting place has been a mystery throughout history.

Edited by Taoist Texts

Sign in to follow this