Sign in to follow this  
DreamBliss

Best reference books for entheogens, psychotropic, hallucinogenic and poisonous plants?

nah .... sokay I guess, it wouldnt be up if he didnt like it .

But Nungali is not  ( adopted ) Amer (Indian) ican    'Blue Star'  middle aged woman  'Shaman'  .  

.... last time I checked . 

• Like 1

DreamBliss said...

"I guess care taken in the process of choosing something, harvesting it and preparing it for use is my version of a ceremony."

.................................................................................

I love this statement of yours and totally agree with it.

• Like 1

nah .... sokay I guess, it wouldnt be up if he didnt like it .

But Nungali is not  ( adopted ) Amer (Indian) ican    'Blue Star'  middle aged woman  'Shaman'  .  

.... last time I checked . 

I looked her up and she is not of American Indian ancestry and is from the Netherlands. Her so called teacher is some dude who claims American Indian ancestry and started his own tribe. :lol:

I am about 1/4 to 1/8 Cherokee and can prove it, but never would I make claims.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

DreamBliss said...

"I guess care taken in the process of choosing something, harvesting it and preparing it for use is my version of a ceremony."

.................................................................................

I love this statement of yours and totally agree with it.

So do I ... it needs to be part of the whole ceremony and will potentise the substance and effects ! 

We did the whole trip once .... 2 maidens and a silver sickle , right asto time .... ritual preparation and ablutions before even going to find the right one ....  etc  .  

The  resultant ceremony that night  ....   WOW !    

First time I have ever seen a  manifestation of a 'plant deva' and talked to it !   - actually , the only time, it was so vivid and 'real' .

And the plant was 'merely'    vervain .   

http://whisperingearth.co.uk/2012/07/16/vervain-the-wizards-herb/

• Like 2

I looked her up and she is not of American Indian ancestry and is from the Netherlands. Her so called teacher is some dude who claims American Indian ancestry and started his own tribe. :lol:

I am about 1/4 to 1/8 Cherokee and can prove it, but never would I make claims.

Thats why I said  'adopted' .    'Tribes' here 'adopt people' as well.   Its very nice of them   :)

It was mentioned to me and I said  " That's nice .... poor white people with no connection to their own selves, traditions, culture ....  they need someone to look after them  ,"    -   teacher sputtered his coffee out at that one    :D  . 

Its a bit of an issue with me .   I avoid  events where white people are invited ... I get too upset at their ignorance , rudeness and selfishness .... well, I guess I am selfish ... I  used to time visits so I get teacher and associates all to myself   ^_^ .  But those rude white people really piss me off ! 

My mixed ancestry, I prefer to keep as unknown ....  they tell me I have some ... I may,  who knows ?   I would never claim it. We have this stupid standard where  1/8 th of anything  ( Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders ) are legally defined as 'Aboriginal'

Pffft !  

A new trend has emerged where  people of mixed indigenous descent are referred to as    ' of Bundjalung ancestry' or  ' of  Dhungutti ancestry ', depending on 'tribe'   ... also, that way their claims can be tracked and checked with family groups.

We have a LOT  of fake  acknowledgments and 'respect'  going on here   . 

I find this hilarious ( for many reasons ) ;

Edited by Nungali

Thats why I said  'adopted' .    'Tribes' here 'adopt people' as well.   Its very nice of them   :)

It was mentioned to me and I said  " That's nice .... poor white people with no connection to their own selves, traditions, culture ....  they need someone to look after them  ,"    -   teacher sputtered his coffee out at that one    :D  . 

Its a bit of an issue with me .   I avoid  events where white people are invited ... I get too upset at their ignorance , rudeness and selfishness .... well, I guess I am selfish ... I  used to time visits so I get teacher and associates all to myself   ^_^ .  But those rude white people really piss me off ! 

My mixed ancestry, I prefer to keep as unknown ....  they tell me I have some ... I may,  who knows ?   I would never claim it. We have this stupid standard where  1/8 th of anything  ( Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders ) are legally defined as 'Aboriginal'

Pffft !  

A new trend has emerged where  people of mixed indigenous descent are referred to as    ' of Bundjalung ancestry' or  ' of  Dhungutti ancestry ', depending on 'tribe'   ... also, that way their claims can be tracked and checked with family groups.

We have a LOT  of fake  acknowledgments and 'respect'  going on here   . 

I find this hilarious ( for many reasons ) ;

There are feast days with ritual dancing at the local pueblos and I have never been to one. Far too many wannabes that are looking for the vibration.

I am lucky ... my experience started with a  personal friend for over 20 years that then became a an elder, teacher and custodian ... so good (and relatively private )  relationship .  Then I got more cred by being open and straight with them .    It makes them appreciative and laugh their head off .  others seem horrified about what comes out of my mouth  .  

Eg .   to some visiting white people while I was at camp 

Auntie;  "Dont worry, we told the kids not to steal from your cars ... we said  ' These are different white people ... they are poor, dont setal from them . "

Me; "Eh ?  What's that? Dont include me in that !  I am not poor .  I got my  car machine there  < points to the faded oily bomb I drove then >  I filled the tank up with polluting petrol and blasted my way here up a highway plastered over your land ...  with the music on full bore and fuck the environment !  "  

- white people shocked ..... Uncle Lewi  sprays his coffee again      ( I Like to time them just as he takes a sip   devil.gif  ) 

• Like 1

...and none of this has to do with the subject of this thread!

OK, here are the books currently on my list:

Pharmacotheon

By Jonathan Ott

Hallucinogenic Plants of North America

By Jonathan Ott

Pihkal

By Alexander Shulgin

Tihkal

By Alexander Shulgin

The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants

By Christian Ratsch and Albert Hofmann

Plants of the Gods

By Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann and Christian Rätsch

The Dictionary of Sacred and Magical Plants

By Christian Rätsch

I still need to find some pocket-sized reference books to add to it though. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on these titles?

Edited by DreamBliss
  • Like 1

...and none of this has to do with the subject of this thread!

No  ?   

Connections with indigenous people with 1000s of years knowledge about their land and environment and plants and states of consciousness  ?  

Or is it the non'book form ?      These people didnt have books. They learnt from oral traditions and stories .

If that is too far out ... just see this thread as one of the books  you need.    Its a great book .... you can even ask questions  (aside from what books you need   ;) ) 

I did say I too loved and totally agreed with statements you made  ( that were non-book related ) ;  " "I guess care taken in the process of choosing something, harvesting it and preparing it for use is my version of a ceremony."

If you want to continue this line of inquiry , I would suggest the first action   (choosing something ) is dependant upon your aim ...  or 'intention' .   Get that clear before researching ( care taken)  which plant you are going to choose.   I can assure you that potency of 'psychic / psychological '  effects are not dependent on the substance alone  but the whole process.

Eg I had a ' piss-fart'   'casual '  gold top trip .... a silly funny  blue meenie trip at a big outdoor night party .... but the vervain experience knocked my magical socks off ! 

- there are also other benefits ;   I used to get stomach probs, a visiting Koori friend suggested a  plant to chew. Turns out it grows everywhere here. My first response was "That ? It grows all around here ... keeps coming up around the path to my front door  and I pull it out . "   Well, after saying it, and seeing the look on his face, I realised how stupid I had been .

He said  :You gotta start paying attention to these things  more. "   yes.gif

And .....  'deadly true Bro' , I had a woman friend visiting and she  started having bad cramps in the abdomen  (  'period pain' ) , really bad, she said "  Cant you do something ?"    Who me ! ???   ... Then I remembered the plant and being told it was specifically for cramping pain.   So I went and picked some and told her to  eat some.  She looked at me impatiently  but took it  in her hand and looked at it ... and kept doing that ... and then she goes  "Oh ! Thats weird, its gone now ."   And she didnt even eat any ! Just held it. 

Also I was in hospital once with kidney stones ... that tickles !   I refused the painkillers, horrible sickly narco drugs. After much fuss they changed my meds.  Worked great, didnt make me  off my face ... only effects were a cold inner rush through my body  (it was I V ) , later they gave me a script for a pill form. The bottle showed it was made from a native plant ... the same plant - a type of pitury   (not the common 'tobacco '  one , or the  mixed ash and leaves chewing one - the 'native coke'    ) .

Damn those drugs barons !   I really had to fight in hospital not to be given morphine !      :glare:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Lot of posts, I did not read them all so I don't know if the Lone Pine reference books have been mentioned.  I have not used them personally, but I have heard from friends who are knowledgeable about foraging and homesteading skills that they are good.  Here is a link to two:

http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Pacific-Northwest-Coast-Pojar/dp/1551055309/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1454350700&sr=8-32&keywords=lone+pine

http://www.amazon.com/Mushrooms-Northwest-America-Helene-Schalkwijk-Barendsen/dp/1551050463/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454350792&sr=8-4&keywords=lone+pine+mushrooms

• Like 1

futuredaze

I got my hands on the books you recommended, and I can not recommend them. They have very little, minuscule even, information as to whether or not a plant is poisonous or hallucinogenic. They do not describe physical effects or first aid treatments. Pictures are about the size of your thumb and not well detailed.

However I do appreciate you sharing the links. It gave me a place to start, and now I know of one series, the Lone Pine series, that I can eliminate from my buy list. Knowing what not to buy is just as important as knowing what to buy!

All

What I am looking for is a book I can throw in my pocket, whip out, find a flower, and find out what it is, if it is poisonous or psychoactive or not, what its effects are, first aid treatment, etc. I want a picture that will allow me to easily identify it. Unfortunately these two books fail in all these regards. But they do have some useful information in there, and are perfect if you just want to identify a plant or find a particular plant.

With this in mind, are there any guidebooks that give you all the information?

I am beginning to wonder if I should not just buy an e-reader device and carry a bunch of pdfs around...

Sign in to follow this